Early Childhood Educator Department:
Child and Family Development Centre – Community Development
Term Full-Time (maternity leave) Location:
North Vancouver, BC Closing Date:
April 4, 2014
The Early Childhood Educator works under the direction of the Manager, Tsleil-Waututh Nation Child and Family Development Centre, the Head Teacher and in cooperation with staff to provide quality, inclusive, emergent child care and family support services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure the Centre meets all requirements of the Child Care Licensing Regulations on a daily basis.
- Plan, carry out, and assess emerging curriculum activities and experiences in harmony with the Tsleil-Waututh Nation.
- Child and Family Development Centre’s philosophy and Schedule D of the Child Care Licensing Regulation.
- Cooperate with management and staff to individualise the curriculum and family services.
- Ensure guidance of children that encourages positive self-esteem.
- Ensure positive communications with parents/guardians.
- Contribute to the on-going operation of the Centre.
- Facilitate a respectful conflict resolution process when dealing with difficult staff and parent/guardian issues.
- Implement a problem solving approach with practical solutions when faced with difficult situations.
- Maintain a neat, orderly and clean environment in all activity and program areas.
- Maintain confidentiality of all information related to the Centre, staff, children and their families.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Early Childhood Educator Certificate and License to Practice.
- Infant/Toddler Certificate is an asset.
- Previous experience working with children in a child care/recreation setting.
- Valid First Aid/CPR Certificate.
- Up-to-date record of immunizations and tuberculosis test.
- Statement from a medical practitioner indicating adequate physical and psychological capability to work with children and carry out assigned duties.
- Willingness to participate in work-related courses, seminars and training as required.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Self-motivated and proactive when dealing with conflicts.
- Must maintain regular attendance and be flexible to accommodate changing schedules.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations community and/or organization is preferred.
- Must successfully pass a Criminal Records Check.
For more information regarding this position, please contact Tanya O’Neill, Manager of the TWN Child & Family Development Centre.
Apply by sending your cover letter and resume, quoting competition #140313-03 including references to: Sabrina Lewis, Human Resources Generalist
3075 Takaya Drive, North Vancouver, BC, V7H 3A8