TSC Stores Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and easy-going workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rockland, ONAugust 2, 2016
I've been working at TSC for almost nine months now and I have to say, it is somehow the most easy-going and relaxed but still productive and hard working workplace I've ever been to. The staff is like one big family, the management is understanding and easy to talk to. Management frequently checks in to make sure you don't have any concerns you'd like to discuss, they also give you the option to talk to the district manager if you don't feel comfortable discussing with them. Going into work is always enjoyable, everyone is constantly smiling and joking around. Being a cashier there isn't the best thing in the world due to price adjustments that need to be done however, being cross-trained as a clerk is handy.
Pros
stress-free environment, confidential, fun environment
Cons
not a lot of hours, cranky customers
They expect the world from you with zero respect
Receiver (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 27, 2016
I worked as a service manager and receiver for 3 years at 2 locations, zero support from head office ,zero training , and was belittled at every turn . staff was friendly and helpful, but given no direction .
Staff turn over is a joke , weekly new hires . I saw 4 store managers within a year , none stayed longer than a month . hours are ridiculous, over 50 without ot, no positive feed back ever
If you have no life and can dedicate yourself to crazy whims and hours this job is for you.
Pros
Not many
Cons
Long houts, no suppport, lord help ya if your female in a manager position
not a good place to work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONFebruary 26, 2016
I have been there for 5 months and at first it was great then the manager that hired me left and now the one we have has disregarded almost everything about hours some people are able to work and bringing in people from his former store when he can just give the current employees the hours, and he knows nothing about the store and what is sold there. I was told I would get no less than 15 hrs a week now I am lucky to get half that a week. most employees are not very happy but the managment staff is thrilled they now sit around not doing much....would get another job but cant find one right now.
Pros
nice customers
Cons
not managed properly
Avoid
Production Manager/Certified Receiver (Current Employee) –  Mount Forest, ONMarch 8, 2016
Not at all somewhere you want to work with problems escalating from corporate to store level.
If you need a quick part time job sure but never expect to have a happy career here!
Great first job
Inbound Receiver (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 25, 2016
Best job ive ever had managed excellent and willing to work around my high school hours always fun and they were always willing to help me learn
customer service
Certified Receiver, Sales Manager, Cashier, Clerk (Current Employee) –  Startford onNovember 27, 2015
TSC is a good place to work, nice people, and customers. I learnt how to deal with all kinds of customers and situations. I took on the responsibilities as a key holder for the store. Dealt with numerous deliveries everyday and kept track of all the paperwork to go with it.
Great place to work.
part time retail (Current Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Excellent! I have worked at TSC for about 6 months now. The store is busy. The employees and managers are great to work for and I would recommend working there.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
New people and regular customers daily
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, ONSeptember 21, 2015
I enjoyed getting to know the new customers and the regular customers. Working as a cashier, warehouse worker and on the floor stocking it was a great variety of daily jobs.
Pros
great customers, management and employees
Cons
meeting new people daily
a very unorthodox and unorganized place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONJuly 3, 2015
My co-workers were friendly and helpful, I had to start 15min before my shift started to count my cash which I didn't get paid for and had to stay at least 30 min after the end of my shift to count my cash and sign for the nights paper work, management was untrustworthy as I didn't get paid for shifts I worked even after bringing it to there attention
work day
Cashier, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ONNovember 5, 2015
a typical day at work for me is that I enjoy meeting with the customers. After the length of time being there you basically get to know a lot by name.
Upper Management is disconnected from front line
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  OntarioMay 19, 2015
TSC was not a bad place to be at first, over the last few years they are trying to find their direction and with this have lost sight of the front lines (the stores).
Business has changed and the upper managers need to get back to basic and spend some real time in the stores understanding their opportunities and concerns.
Pros
Some very cool products and a unique shopping experience.
Cons
Long hours, no training, poor communication
Service manager
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONMay 4, 2015
Very dysfunctional company, Poor upper management, Treat employees poorly, 0 to none hours, No training, No support from head office or Dm, High employee turn over rate, No stock, High prices, Poor product selection, No resources or proper tools to complete tasks, No communication.
Pros
None, they treat you poorly
Cons
What is not wrong with this place
i wouldnt work there
cashier (Former Employee) –  sarniaApril 23, 2015
I worked there for a month they told me they needed someone who could work weekends and nights So That's what I did then after my training was over they fired me. So I took time off my other job for them just because I felt bad.
Pros
staff is nice
Cons
not enough cashiers no one around to help
Great place to work.
Lead Clerk / Parts Management (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ONNovember 7, 2014
Typical day at work open/close key holder, supervision of cashiers throughout day, customer service rep, manager of shift when required. Supervision of staff working with planogram. balance books at end of day and banking deposit.

Product knowledge and coaching, honesty, integrity, discipline and safety. Action techniques, crime prevention and handling,
WHMIS, first aid, lift truck operation and propane handlers permit

Management scheduled lunch/breaks, supervised staff and customer service.

Co-workers were good to work with.

Hardest part of job crime prevent and proper handling.

Enjoyable part of job interaction with the public.
Pros
Regular pay cheque, benefit plan and great boss.
Cons
Responsible for all departments in store.
Avoid At All Costs!
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONOctober 27, 2014
No stock
No support from head office
55+ hour work weeks (constantly)
High prices
High turnover of staff
No training programs at any level
You have to pay $60+ for your uniforms
Breaks? (Good luck getting one)

Without a doubt the most disorganized, incompetent work environment I've ever been exposed to. If you value your sanity & dignity stay clear of TSC. There are better jobs out there with a fraction of the chaos plaguing this company and store. (Guelph)
Cons
too many to list
Not alot of room for advancement
Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ONNovember 4, 2014
A typical day at work would be doing many special orders for various items. Also helping customers on the sales floor as well as staff. The hardest part of the job was learning to deal with male customers who wouldn't give me a chance because of the type of store it was. Proving myself was a hard task but I did prove my self, and then customers returned asking for my assistance. I loved learning about the different products we sold and how to do many things that I wouldn't have been able to on my own. Example- animal medicines, lawn care, tractor parts, etc. The most enjoyable part of this job was helping people find what they needed quickly, efficiently, and keeping them returning for business.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
not a lot of room to advance
the retail job from he**
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 7, 2014
turn around and run.... and never look back. if you somehow lower your expectations to have to be employed by this company consider welfare as the better alternative. this company has gone down hill over the past 5 years or so. TSC wont be in business in 5 years. the upper management is clueless, from a grocery establishment and have no idea how to operate a niche retail business like TSC.

ruthless, and relentless.

just keep looking for something better.
Pros
Great customers!
Cons
Upper managemnet is clueless and ruthless!
Heartless
Receiver- Warehouseman (Former Employee) –  London, OntarioAugust 4, 2015
I had worked for TSC for almost 11years and was looking forward to 4 weeks holidays next year. I consider myself a good employee,started early and stayed late. Always had a good reveiw,never a problem. Recently I arrived to work on Monday morning and was met at the punch clock by a manager. He greeted me and ask me to bring my lunch bag and follow him to a inner office. In the office sat the H.R representive. I was handed a letter and was told it would explain everything. The letter stated that due to restructuring my position was terminated. I was escorted like some common criminal out the door. There was no Thank you for my services all the years employed. There was a foul up on my paper work and I had to go back to straighten things out. While I was there I noticed alot of part-time workers still there that made less money and had no benefits. I was later told that others were let go . There was one employee let go that had worked for TSC for over 25 years. I don't feel that I was treated fairly . I am in my mid 50's and I am finding it very difficult to find suitable employment.
Pros
TSC was a decent work environment at the beginning of my employment.
Cons
Uncaring and ruthless place to work
Unstable Workplace
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Simcoe, OntarioMay 6, 2014
In my tenure with TSC Stores in Simcoe Ontario, I have seen 3 District Managers, 1 store manager (was hired 2-3 weeks after me).

I am leaving after only 4 months after being informed that my SIN number had gone missing so I needed to give them the information again so they could send it to head office. Also there is reports of time theft being done because the manager is going in and altering the electronic punch clocks time before sending it to payroll.

On top of that, there was a short in one of the sales floor lights that has caused the whole light casing to turn black and they have not gotten it look at in weeks. They are even still running power to it.
overall a good store to work in
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Kemptville, OntarioJanuary 30, 2013
While working for the above company I learned a great deal about the daily management of the company. My co-workers were very supportive to myself personally and to the required needs to help me do my job better. The hardest part of my job was having to manage the store by myself on numerous occasions but I feel that it was a great assest to me in that it helped me grow as a manager and the most enjoyable part to me was dealing with the customers and doing my best to ensure customer satisfaction

2.8