TSC Stores Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and easy-going workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rockland, ONAugust 2, 2016
I've been working at TSC for almost nine months now and I have to say, it is somehow the most easy-going and relaxed but still productive and hard working workplace I've ever been to. The staff is like one big family, the management is understanding and easy to talk to. Management frequently checks in to make sure you don't have any concerns you'd like to discuss, they also give you the option to talk to the district manager if you don't feel comfortable discussing with them. Going into work is always enjoyable, everyone is constantly smiling and joking around. Being a cashier there isn't the best thing in the world due to price adjustments that need to be done however, being cross-trained as a clerk is handy.
Pros
stress-free environment, confidential, fun environment
Cons
not a lot of hours, cranky customers
Great first job
Inbound Receiver (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 25, 2016
Best job ive ever had managed excellent and willing to work around my high school hours always fun and they were always willing to help me learn
Avoid
Production Manager/Certified Receiver (Current Employee) –  Mount Forest, ONMarch 8, 2016
Not at all somewhere you want to work with problems escalating from corporate to store level.
If you need a quick part time job sure but never expect to have a happy career here!
not a good place to work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONFebruary 26, 2016
I have been there for 5 months and at first it was great then the manager that hired me left and now the one we have has disregarded almost everything about hours some people are able to work and bringing in people from his former store when he can just give the current employees the hours, and he knows nothing about the store and what is sold there. I was told I would get no less than 15 hrs a week now I am lucky to get half that a week. most employees are not very happy but the managment staff is thrilled they now sit around not doing much....would get another job but cant find one right now.
Pros
nice customers
Cons
not managed properly
Great place to work.
part time retail (Current Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Excellent! I have worked at TSC for about 6 months now. The store is busy. The employees and managers are great to work for and I would recommend working there.
Pros
Great hours
work day
Cashier, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ONNovember 5, 2015
a typical day at work for me is that I enjoy meeting with the customers. After the length of time being there you basically get to know a lot by name.
New people and regular customers daily
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, ONSeptember 21, 2015
I enjoyed getting to know the new customers and the regular customers. Working as a cashier, warehouse worker and on the floor stocking it was a great variety of daily jobs.
Pros
great customers, management and employees
Cons
meeting new people daily
a very unorthodox and unorganized place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONJuly 3, 2015
My co-workers were friendly and helpful, I had to start 15min before my shift started to count my cash which I didn't get paid for and had to stay at least 30 min after the end of my shift to count my cash and sign for the nights paper work, management was untrustworthy as I didn't get paid for shifts I worked even after bringing it to there attention
Service manager
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONMay 4, 2015
Very dysfunctional company, Poor upper management, Treat employees poorly, 0 to none hours, No training, No support from head office or Dm, High employee turn over rate, No stock, High prices, Poor product selection, No resources or proper tools to complete tasks, No communication.
Pros
None, they treat you poorly
Cons
What is not wrong with this place
i wouldnt work there
cashier (Former Employee) –  sarniaApril 23, 2015
I worked there for a month they told me they needed someone who could work weekends and nights So That's what I did then after my training was over they fired me. So I took time off my other job for them just because I felt bad.
Pros
staff is nice
Cons
not enough cashiers no one around to help
Great Student Job
Customer service, Stocking (Current Employee) –  Leamington ONApril 21, 2015
The people you meet and the things you learn are great for a student or somebody who needs experience dealing with people and gaining knowledge in all aspects.
Fun work atmosphere
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ONApril 15, 2015
Loved working there and enjoyed my co workers
great place to work if you enjoy helping customers and working in the warehouse putting out stock and organizing
Great environment and co-workers
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONOctober 27, 2014
Environment was great with happy costumers and the co-workers were very friendly willing to help each other out.
Avoid At All Costs!
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONOctober 27, 2014
No stock
No support from head office
55+ hour work weeks (constantly)
High prices
High turnover of staff
No training programs at any level
You have to pay $60+ for your uniforms
Breaks? (Good luck getting one)

Without a doubt the most disorganized, incompetent work environment I've ever been exposed to. If you value your sanity & dignity stay clear of TSC. There are better jobs out there with a fraction of the chaos plaguing this company and store. (Guelph)
Cons
too many to list
Unstable Workplace
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Simcoe, OntarioMay 6, 2014
In my tenure with TSC Stores in Simcoe Ontario, I have seen 3 District Managers, 1 store manager (was hired 2-3 weeks after me).

I am leaving after only 4 months after being informed that my SIN number had gone missing so I needed to give them the information again so they could send it to head office. Also there is reports of time theft being done because the manager is going in and altering the electronic punch clocks time before sending it to payroll.

On top of that, there was a short in one of the sales floor lights that has caused the whole light casing to turn black and they have not gotten it look at in weeks. They are even still running power to it.
I hated it.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  TSC Stores LP - LambethMarch 10, 2014
Like the other guy said, one of the top 50 worst companies in Canada. People listen to me, don't waste your time with this place. It will end your career in retail. I was so happy to quit working there. I left for another job in the same industry doing pretty much the same job for a lot more$$ and my superiors are decent, respectful people who offer praise and encouragement.
Country Store
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONDecember 9, 2013
Retailer that caters to the rural customers but has deals for all
POORLY RUN COMPANY FROM TOP TO BOTTOM!
a little bit of everything (Former Employee) –  everywhereDecember 6, 2013
One of the top 10 WORST companies to work for in the country!

The highest employee turnover I have ever seen or heard of!

I truly loved waking up in the morning to go work for this company for the first 6 years I was employed for them.

I put my heart & soul into everything I did. There has been some major changes in the culture and the upper management at the corporate office in the past 5 years. The Vice president of Operations who works at the corporate office in London is a very very DIFFERENT kinda person> ( I have to be nice or this won't get posted)

Many former employees and I'm positive most current ones would be able to tell you; every day your watching your back and feel like no matter how well your performance is you can be eliminated at any point in time!! It would appear to some that TSC has a very good track record of that.

Certainly not an employer with whom you would ever consider entertaining a lengthy career. You would certainly quit or have your employment terminated before that could be established.

If you have no self worth and feel like committing employment suicide. If you enjoy working 70 hours a week and only getting paid for 43, If you have no family or friends or social life what so ever, If you like having your boss humiliate you in front of co-workers, if you enjoy a sexist work environment, If you like worrying every waking moment that regardless of how well you perform your job you can be terminated at any second then just maybe, this is the company for you.
Pros
the satisfaction of knowing you've done a great job, having great staff to work with, great customers (which most have stopped shopping there)
Cons
too many to list, bad managment, poor hr, upper managemnt is sexist, (dislikes that fact where woman are could be there boss), very long hours with no extra pay, very bad work enviroment, extremley negative and aggressive culture.
The job I wanted, but bad career culture
Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 4, 2013
The job started with excitement and ended with me feeling blindsided. I started there after someone had quit with the expectations that I would learn the job as I went along as the only form of training was an excel file explaining how to run some programs.

There was parts of my job that I loved, primarly the parts where I was actually practicing the skills I learned in university. However the corporate culture there was toxic. If I needed help with work many of the other employees were unwilling to help. I wouldn't say its the other employees fault as I would with management. There are extensive tight deadlines and no one has time to work ahead. Management would expect things done as they were given out as top priority but would forget about the daily work that needs to be done.

During my orientation I was told I would get performance reviews and 3 and 6 months. I did not get either after almost 7 months I was called into HR and was told they were restructuring and my position was no longer needed. On the surface I felt that perhape they were being honest, but the more I talk to other past TSC employees it seemed to be a common trend where they would get rid of anyone who wasn't good friends with management.

to give you an idea of how overworked the staff is there, I had over 30 hours of overtime in 7 months, while my manager would leave work on time everyday!
Cons
long hours, poor management, bad corporate culture
Run of the mill retail experience
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONMay 14, 2013
Working at TSC is recommended for anyone with an interest in working outdoors, farming etc. The hours are flexible, management will treat you with respect, and the stores aren't massive so finding items is not too hard. Note you will have to listen to country music all day long! Overall it's not a bad job at all and recommended to any student/professional looking to make some extra money.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
country music all day

2.7