TrueCar, Inc. Employee Reviews

Awful job experience, work life balance non-existent, poor team collaboration
Sr. Partner Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CA14 August 2017
Extreme micromanagement, worked from 9am to often 3am after getting home from work, was not appreciated nor praised for any of my work, despite all my partners having great relationships and positive feedback for me consistently. Some sexist comments made to me. Constant scolding for what I perceived to be going above and beyond - but due to serious control issues on behalf of my manager, my actions in doing so were not recognized as positive. Lack of growth opportunity. Quick turnover due to poor culture. Provided free lunch once a week and had a nice office and a fully stocked kitchen for staff, but I would not recommend working here.
Great Company
Client Success Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CA28 April 2017
Good benefits and compensation. Fun role interacting with different clients everyday. Challenging part is being on the road all the time. Home office is supportive of field team.
Great pay and benefits, poor talent management
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CA31 August 2016
I've been with TrueCar over 3 years and their overall compensation and benefits are really good, but their not good at managing their talent, let alone their corporate strategy. It's been a lot of up and downs, which makes it difficult to find a groove here, but some may find it exciting as things are always changing. Don't expect much reward working here unless you're in 'the club'.
Pros
Free lunch once a week, great benefits, great pay, great location
Cons
Poor company culture and morale, poor work life balance, no stability, very 'boys club' environment
Fun
Java/J2EE Developer (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CA24 August 2016
Good to work and co-workers are friendly. no pressure for work. management very good at pay. i learned many things and some times typical at work.
Opportunity to learn the latest techs in the market
Full Stack Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA6 April 2016
Had ample time to learn new technologies like React JS,
Highly talented seniors to learn from,
Good work-life balance,
great manager but overall high-level management needs improvement
pilot program in roseville
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CA7 April 2015
the small call center of 7 people was great we were like a family the pay structure was not consistant but all and all a fun place
Pros
fun upbeat place
Cons
bounes were not consistent
President has no people skills
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CA15 January 2015
It use to be a great environment, but the President changed the business model .
Pros
.com casual environment
Great Product and R&D, Needs to Improve Engineering
Software Architect (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, California25 December 2013
A typical day at TrueCar is pretty straightforward. I spent about 60% of my time writing code and 40% managing or involved with process and meetings.

What I learned at TrueCar is to carefully vet the culture and practices of the team you are joining. I know it sounds simple, but when I first interviewed I was so pleased with the members of the R&D team I would be working with, that I didn't ask the hard questions. The problem is TrueCar has n incredible amount of technical debt, and a brutal engineering culture. The churn is high. The location is fantastic, the compensation and benefits are very attractive. TrueCar taught me to look beyond the superficial to really understand the dynamics of the culture.

The hardest part of the job is the changing product roadmap, its relatively hard to see projects through to completion because the the product roadmap changes faster than things can be built, like every few weeks a new major initiative replaces an old one.

The best part of the job was the creative freedom to design high performance Java recommendation engines alongside the R&D team.
Pros
Compensation, Location
Cons
Engineering Culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TrueCar, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9