Trotter & Morton Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Lead Hand/ Journeyman Plumber/Gas Fitter (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2017
A typical day at work is 8 hours 6a.m. To 2:15p.m.
I learned everything I know there and then some
The management is good but the could be more supportive with incentives like giving work trucks rather than using personal vehicles
Good company
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 April 2017
I enjoyed working for this company and didnt have any issues while i worked there. I would happily work for them again if they operated in my current city.
Good Paying Job with Professional Employees
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 April 2017
My co-workers were professional and I was treated with respect by management. There was not much diversity within my experience due to the large size of the job and the company's habit to keep people in the same task profiles for long periods of time. I would have loved to have more variety in my 2 year apprenticeship.
The benefits were with Merit and were good.
There were adequate supplies and tools supplied to get the job done.
Pros
overtime, occasional free lunch, benefits, good wage, emphasis on doing the job right!
not bad
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2017
It was ok working for these guys I suppose.Decent group of guys but management is a joke. These goofs walk around the site like they're rock-stars because they have a red vest. Good for a laugh.
Good job for a Journeyman/Apprentice
Second Year Apprentice - Commercial (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 March 2017
This company has great management, solid safety practices and encourages a better level of education amongst their employees. This company treated me very well even when I had a family member pass away due to an accident. They moved heaven and earth to give me the time I needed to clear my head and get back to work.
Pros
Good pay/good management/ good people/ Great bosses
Cons
nothing negative
not bad to work for
Electrical apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 January 2017
not bad to work for but its a really big company and ur just another employee but the work wasn't too bad and most of the people i worked with were good mu super was amazing all foreman were great, just the site sucked(airport)
Job secure
Apprentice Electrician, Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 January 2017
Variety of work options, easy to learn and grow within company, only quit due to relocation and poor management, would work for them again if offered.
Pros
variety of work
Cons
management
This is a company who stands behind its employees
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2016
I worked at Trotter & Morton for 6 years as an electrician. The work atmosphere was professional and efficient. Management looked out for the "little guys" and I enjoyed secure, long term employment with them.
Great place to work, good guys, was fun
2nd Year Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 November 2016
Trotter and Morton was a very well manor, fun group of guys that made it easy for an apprentice to learn and have fun. They made you think of how to do your job in a safe and professional way. Would definitely go back to work with them some day.
Great company
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 October 2016
This company treats you very well and gives every opportunity to succeed, specially apprentices. Time is taken to teach and move forward. I've worked for some awefull hellish companies in the past that don't care about safety or if you learn or not, but this company outfits you in full safety gear and gives you pretty well anything you ask for to help make the job easier. The only issues I have here are a select few at the childrens hospital site who for reasons unknown have nothing better to do than sabotage this company at every turn and I'm sick of it. Here's the truth:
-you get paid at the highest non Ibew rate out there (which when I compared to my friend in the ibew after all his dues and market recovery I actually make 20 cents more an hour).
-you are given full safety gear including replacements
-any tools or material you require to make your job easier are given so long as you can make a decent argument as to why you need it.
-there's an active union that make sure we get comforts such as fair work, microwaves, water, respirators and so on
-there's an active safety crew to ensure you're not put in dangerous conditions and who outfit you with anything you need including warm gloves during cold days
-great Benefits and rrsp program

The only thing to deal with is the drama that as stated before, is spread from a few of my coworkers for some reason.
Pros
Treatment
Cons
Drama

Want to know more about Trotter & Morton?

Ask a question
Stay away
Site foreman (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 September 2016
Horrible company in Vancouver. Office manager is useless... project Manger isn't any better... if you want to be treated like a number of no value .. this is the place. Company built on the blood and sweet of the employees. Truly the wrost place to work in Vancouver! Human rights complaints, health and safety complaints all the time about Trotter. Truly are horrible. They really don't care about the employee
Pros
A different company will hire you one day
Cons
Everyone in the vancouver office
Great Experience
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 August 2016
we worked at the bc childrens hospital on electrical work. From temporary power to pre fab, and lighting. I had an opportunity to experience what its like to work in a job site and go to talk to many different trades men.
good work place with a good learning environment
2nd Year Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2016
good hard working atmosphere and good learning environment for an apprenticeship program learn good skill device install rack install pulling wire bending emt pipe
Was good for a while
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2016
Trotter and Morton is a great company. They have employee appreciation days and once in a while give out jackets or hoodies. As an apprentice you learn how to bend conduit, there is not much exposure to the other areas of the trade. They provide good benefits and wages are decent too.
Misery and money
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary5 April 2016
Horrible Forman. Too many Irish workers. Mass layoffs without any notice. People dislike you for being overly productive. Benefit reimbursements were a perk.
Pros
Alright benefits and pay
Cons
Surrounded by morons
Ran and installed speakers and cables
PA System Installer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta24 June 2015
Pulled speaker cables through conduit and installed speakers. Also uninstalled old speakers and moved them to other areas. Made speaker connection points inside junction boxes with cable whips going out to the speaker locations.
very poor work atmosphere. backwards management.
HVAC Tech (Current Employee) –  Various10 March 2015
Starting out here you will be given the worst jobs. If you ask questions for academic purposes you will be slandered, especially if they don't know the answer. Management is extremely unprofessional, tacky, and gauche. There is plenty of drama to go around for everyone at Trotter and Morton. You will never receive support from those that work in the office. They have one of the worst safety programs in the city. You can go to over 90% of the sites that have workers there and there will be no implementation of safety protocols and policies. If you make friends with the wrong person, you will be treated poorly and disrespectfully. Its definitely a popularity contest and it feels not much different than high school.
Pros
free breakfast once a year.
Cons
very poor atmosphere. No learning opportunities.
well organized
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 February 2015
I worked on a major project employing several hundred electricians. This is obviously not an easy accomplishment, the management and supervisors work well to provide the workers with clear instruction and expectations of the job tasks.
It was a comfortable work environment with co-workers coming together as a team
Pros
great organization.
Good company
1st Year Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 July 2014
I enjoyed working for the company. Very friendly supervisors, good benefits and competitive wages. Low team morale.
Pros
Health insurance packages
Cons
Low team morale
Production over Safety, Zero respect towards workers, Large Foreign Worker Employee Base.
pipefitter, plumber, gasfitter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 February 2014
Trotter & Morton was a horrible experience.

-foreman cared more about production than safety of workers.

-foreman gave zero respect to the workers and looked down upon workers. direct quote from a foreman there "be safe, but more importantly we expect a lot of production"

-they would rather hire foreign workers than work on their site safety so Canadians would want to work at their sites.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Trotter & Morton. Our community is ready to answer.

Trotter & Morton Reviews by Location