Trotter & Morton Employee Reviews

This is a company who stands behind its employees
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2016
I worked at Trotter & Morton for 6 years as an electrician. The work atmosphere was professional and efficient. Management looked out for the "little guys" and I enjoyed secure, long term employment with them.
Great company
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 October 2016
This company treats you very well and gives every opportunity to succeed, specially apprentices. Time is taken to teach and move forward. I've worked for some awefull hellish companies in the past that don't care about safety or if you learn or not, but this company outfits you in full safety gear and gives you pretty well anything you ask for to help make the job easier. The only issues I have here are a select few at the childrens hospital site who for reasons unknown have nothing better to do than sabotage this company at every turn and I'm sick of it. Here's the truth:
-you get paid at the highest non Ibew rate out there (which when I compared to my friend in the ibew after all his dues and market recovery I actually make 20 cents more an hour).
-you are given full safety gear including replacements
-any tools or material you require to make your job easier are given so long as you can make a decent argument as to why you need it.
-there's an active union that make sure we get comforts such as fair work, microwaves, water, respirators and so on
-there's an active safety crew to ensure you're not put in dangerous conditions and who outfit you with anything you need including warm gloves during cold days
-great Benefits and rrsp program

The only thing to deal with is the drama that as stated before, is spread from a few of my coworkers for some reason.
Pros
Treatment
Cons
Drama
Stay away
Site foreman (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 September 2016
Horrible company in Vancouver. Office manager is useless... project Manger isn't any better... if you want to be treated like a number of no value .. this is the place. Company built on the blood and sweet of the employees. Truly the wrost place to work in Vancouver! Human rights complaints, health and safety complaints all the time about Trotter. Truly are horrible. They really don't care about the employee
Pros
A different company will hire you one day
Cons
Everyone in the vancouver office
Great Experience
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 August 2016
we worked at the bc childrens hospital on electrical work. From temporary power to pre fab, and lighting. I had an opportunity to experience what its like to work in a job site and go to talk to many different trades men.
good work place with a good learning environment
2nd Year Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2016
good hard working atmosphere and good learning environment for an apprenticeship program learn good skill device install rack install pulling wire bending emt pipe
Was good for a while
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2016
Trotter and Morton is a great company. They have employee appreciation days and once in a while give out jackets or hoodies. As an apprentice you learn how to bend conduit, there is not much exposure to the other areas of the trade. They provide good benefits and wages are decent too.
Misery and money
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary5 April 2016
Horrible Forman. Too many Irish workers. Mass layoffs without any notice. People dislike you for being overly productive. Benefit reimbursements were a perk.
Pros
Alright benefits and pay
Cons
Surrounded by morons
Ran and installed speakers and cables
PA System Installer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta24 June 2015
Pulled speaker cables through conduit and installed speakers. Also uninstalled old speakers and moved them to other areas. Made speaker connection points inside junction boxes with cable whips going out to the speaker locations.
very poor work atmosphere. backwards management.
HVAC Tech (Current Employee) –  Various10 March 2015
Starting out here you will be given the worst jobs. If you ask questions for academic purposes you will be slandered, especially if they don't know the answer. Management is extremely unprofessional, tacky, and gauche. There is plenty of drama to go around for everyone at Trotter and Morton. You will never receive support from those that work in the office. They have one of the worst safety programs in the city. You can go to over 90% of the sites that have workers there and there will be no implementation of safety protocols and policies. If you make friends with the wrong person, you will be treated poorly and disrespectfully. Its definitely a popularity contest and it feels not much different than high school.
Pros
free breakfast once a year.
Cons
very poor atmosphere. No learning opportunities.
well organized
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 February 2015
I worked on a major project employing several hundred electricians. This is obviously not an easy accomplishment, the management and supervisors work well to provide the workers with clear instruction and expectations of the job tasks.
It was a comfortable work environment with co-workers coming together as a team
Pros
great organization.
Good company
1st Year Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 July 2014
I enjoyed working for the company. Very friendly supervisors, good benefits and competitive wages. Low team morale.
Pros
Health insurance packages
Cons
Low team morale
Production over Safety, Zero respect towards workers, Large Foreign Worker Employee Base.
pipefitter, plumber, gasfitter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 February 2014
Trotter & Morton was a horrible experience.

-foreman cared more about production than safety of workers.

-foreman gave zero respect to the workers and looked down upon workers. direct quote from a foreman there "be safe, but more importantly we expect a lot of production"

-they would rather hire foreign workers than work on their site safety so Canadians would want to work at their sites.
Would work for them again
APPRENTICE ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 December 2013
I was a 1st and 2nd year apprentice while working for this company.
My typical day was helping anyone who needed it and learning what I could about the trade.
I got to learn many different aspects of my job and as a 2nd year I was given the opportunity to run a small crew doing slab work on a tower downtown. The company liked what I did and offered to have me run the slab crews on their next tower once I got out of school as a 3rd year.
My co-workers were helpful and friendly in my learning processes.
The hardest part of my job was being thrown into situations that I had never seen before and being told that I was the one that had to figure it out, make it work, and make it up to code and standards for the company and job. It was a struggle at times, only being a 2nd year, but it forced me to learn very quickly how to do things correctly and efficiently.
The most enjoyable part about the jobs was learning new things.
Good job to have
Journeyman (Current Employee) –  PCI17 June 2013
Trotter is a great company to work for they pay very well and generally they are the top paying company in town. They like large jobs, which can be taken either way. Just work show up have a good attitude and you'll be fine.
Not my first choice...
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2012
My first job with Trotter & Morton was a great experience, it really led me to believe they were an employee oriented type company. That was not the case by the second job. Their layoffs tactics were ambiguous to say the least and the game of favorites really stood out. Little opportunity to move up within this company. I learned very little in comparison to other companies and worked with Trotter for a longer period. Decent pay but that's about it.
Cons
thinking there was room for opportunity.

Trotter & Morton Reviews by Location