Trimac Transportation

Trimac Transportation Employee Reviews in Canada

Not For Everyone
1A Driver (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKSeptember 4, 2013
Driver retention seems to be a critical issue with this company, and it's not hard to see why. They will work you 13+ hours every day. I've put in some 15-16 hour days to finish trips. Of course, that's straight working hours, no break at all, and eat as you drive. Consequently, makes it very hard if you have a wife/girlfriend/family, as you won't see much of them.

Most trips are fairly short (distance wise), with 3-4 per day not being uncommon. Rather than dispatch an entire truck load to one customer (i.e. single drop) they like to split the trip into 2-3 drops, often in different towns. Makes for a very tiring day when you need to drag the hoses out 4-6 times a day.

Sometimes dispatched to deliver to very small gas stations in the heart of downtown Regina (Albert St) in the middle of the day with a Super B. Completely ridiculous. There are more than a few locations that should be tri-axle only (or done on night shift), but they keep sending train units in.

Most of the equipment is old, and unless a defect is major, it generally won't be fixed.

Communication isn't the best, as often circumstances will change, and the driver isn't informed until he is at the customer's site. For example, where he sees the access road is under construction.

On the plus side, pay is above average for this type of work, and so it should be. Although my pay isn't as high as was promised in my initial interview. Good pension and benefit plan as well.

Most of the drivers are helpful and friendly, which counts for a lot.

In summary, some drivers will love Trimac for the benefits, others not
  more... so much for the heavy work load and harsh conditions. To each their own...  less
Pros
decent pay, good pension, good clothing allowance
Cons
very long days, old equipment, poor communication
Disorginized
Hr and Payrolk (Former Employee) –  CalgaryApril 15, 2015
Poor Management. Dont follow through on commitments. Not to be trusted Cancelled contract because didnt want to pay agency fee.
older equipment
Driver and owner opertator (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCMay 25, 2015
not bad for co drivers, sucks for lease operators
at least the have a pension plan, general good place to work, excellent for a younger person
Great company to work for
Branch Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray AB.July 3, 2014
I was the only clerk for this particular branch. My duties included anything to do with administration; purchase orders, scanning of daily work orders, flights and transportation for employee's. Maintained weekly reports for upper management, answering phones. Taking minutes and following up with reports. Ordering office supplies. Filing, the use of different programs such as Oracle Transman. I also dealt with discrepancies in pay with employee's in a timely manner.

I enjoyed working for Trimac, fantastic employee's and management. Supportive and room for growth. Always learning and they take pride in their employee's.
This Company Is A Joke!
mechanic (Former Employee) –  dundasMay 2, 2013
This company is a joke, the shop manger has no idea what hes doing, honestly not really sure he knows what a truck is. The shope as some good people working there but have all stopped caring after dealing with the company for so long. the only people that should even think of working for this company are people with no skills and can shut there brains off and listen to a boss that has no idea what hes doing. Its a place to go to end your work life and never do any real work. If your not working there but thinking about it RUN!!
Pros
no pros!
Cons
all cons: you will hate your life there!
New Hire Mislead by Management and Dispatchers
Driver (Former Employee) –  TrailFebruary 15, 2015
Hired as a driver and was told many things, that after three months never appeared.
Recommend other drivers to use caution when applying and get things in writing. Dispatchers and managers are just as disconnected from the drivers as any other company.
Typical company that blames the drivers first before looking within.
Pros
location
Cons
too many to list, do your due digilence and check.
Decent place to work depending on the branch
Fuel Hauler (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 23, 2015
I was content with my position minus the management.
Tonnes of gossip & drama
Dispatchers were the best
Was Very unfairly treated by management
Pros
flexible work schedules
Cons
management
overall good place to work
Traffic Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NLDecember 1, 2014
typica day is quite busy dealing with customers, organizing drivers and performing other administrative duties. co workers were great, the most enjoyable part for me was dealing with drivers nad customers
Pros
great co workers
Fun workplace
NATIONAL ACCOUNTS DIRECTOR NTS (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2014
Apparent empowerment.
Profit culture, shareholders come first, delighted customers after.
Great co-workers.
Management lacks vision, strategy.
Too much politics
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 7, 2015
It was a good place to work , first time i worked for such a big company .but at that place there was a too much politics within the staff.
Pros
free lunches on friday
Cons
contract job
a typical day at work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABFebruary 10, 2013
The day starts and you have to look no further then management as the problems start from the top and work their way down, management should never be in a compitition and that is going on,they train you one way at TLC but at the terminal they do the oppisite. The new trucks are garbage in every facet and till they let me go i believe 5 drivers went down with back issues and they dont care.When i first started there was huge mural everybody was great but then they brought in new management and changed things and it went down hill quick,you try just to do your work but it is hard when your lied to right after you arrive at work and then have to deal with things you need to do the job gone from your trailers so it is demorilizing and the moral goes down.I thought the world Of Trimac when i started then came tLC and i even thought that much more of the company but what a huge dissappointment. I will not make excuses for the mistakes i made leading up to my dismissal but I would never recommend them to anybody either. It was a huge let down in my life as a truck driver.
Cons
everything you can think of.

Comment – April 4, 2013

So sorry to hear about your experience. I am looking to begin a career in the trucking industry. Any suggestions? I read earlier comments and saw that Trimac was union. Was this benefit? What companies would you suggest I drive for? Who should I stay away from?

Nice and Quiet
Tax & Licensing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 13, 2012
Some management were friendly, and some were stingy
Was there as a temp
Was critized alot for being free, when I had all my work completed far in advanced and at 100 percent completion.
Management in the Licencing Department was very strict and wanted to know everyones personal life and then used it against us.

Pay wasn't great for the amount of work I did and that I completed it early and way before the deadline.

Would start at 8 am to 4pm and half hour lunch
Pros
potluck every fridays
Cons
not enough time to eat lunch
Fuel divison Sherwood Park
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Sherwood parkJuly 25, 2014
I worked for the fuel division that place is a complete gong show, the manager is the biggest dummy in that office I dont think that man knows his left hand from his right. So disorganized, half the equipment should be taken off the road. Its a free for all there you cant come to work and enjoy your day because people steal your hoses off your trailers and you need to spend half your morning hunting down gear. But again if you dont want to go to jail because you want to drag that manager outside and sweap the parking lot with him id advice against the place. Most people quit because of him Trimac would smell the roses and fire him.
Pros
nome
Cons
all
Good company with great potential
Billing and Settlement Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington OntDecember 13, 2012
Trimac's safety standards and programs are second to none in the industry, they have won several safety awards highlighting their accomplishments.
The addition of the manager of process optimization will aid in beginning to define roles and responsibilities and departmental clarity. The lines are blurred in that regard at the present time.
I have learned some transportation terminology and billing and met some knowledgeable and dedicated people. I have instituted one on ones with all my staff and been able to deliver on some deliverables that have been promised in the past but never followed through on.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
communication
good equipment
Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 14, 2014
hard place to adapt to
little downtime
decent equipment
lots of overtime
bagel Wednesdays were nice, but the hours and no pay are ridiculous
Traffic Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJune 10, 2013
excellent co-workers
poor equipment
excellent support system from co-workers
extremely long hours
lacking communication on directives
Pros
bagel wednesdays
Cons
extremelyy long hours, with no overtime
No Support from Management
Traffic Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJuly 17, 2013
No room for advancement even though you are told there is. No support from Management even though you are told "We work as a team"
Wanting to sale and get out of my truck .
Transport Owner Operator (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONFebruary 19, 2013
Would like to work closier to home not enjoy having my truck. Am a very hard working people and get along with other . Will work day, after and midnight whatever I need to do.
Pros
like working with people
Cons
will work long hours
Managment Politics horrible
Cryogenics Technician (Former Employee) –  Wyneta BCAugust 6, 2014
Overall ok workplace just politics of management was not good.
Excellent people to work with
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 6, 2014
Very nice atmosphere , enjoyable people to work for and with. Always learning new things on the job. Family oriented. Everyone looks out for each other. All - n - All a great place to work!