Trimac Transportation Employee Reviews

Poor management
OPERATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB5 April 2016
Low moral due to dictatorial leadership. Company stock decline tells the story. Driver and dispatch team were great to work with however.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON10 December 2012
This position was a 24-7 job. My focus was mainly on making sure that the drivers and staff were safe and that they always came home to their families.
Management is very easy to talk to and helpful.
I had very good and respectful employee's.
Hardest part of the job was just being on call all the time.
The job also allowed me some travel to various terminals to listen and learn new things.
The most enjoyable part of my job was listening and learning everyday about something new that I could use as a tool to make all aspects of my job better and easier and most of all safer.
If I learn one thing from being an employee of Trimac is safety is always first.
Pros
travel, cell phone paid for, laptop, 24 help desk service
Great employer
Accounts Payable & Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2013
I learned so much at Trimac but having just graduated from school I needed to find a different job with a higher salary.
Cons
Parking
Not a good place to work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 September 2013
Constantly lied too and benefits of the job were taken away.
Promised things in the beginning and then didn't get it. Too much time from home.
excellent,
transport driver (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON27 November 2015
Management was very cooperative in showing respect to everyone, they were always easy to approach. As a female they never demanded more than I was capable of handling. My fellow workers showed the same respect for me as I did for them. The hardest part of the job was to stay outside for an hour or longer with no shelter fr
om the weather when it was severely cold in the winter.
family orientated work environment
Heavy Duty Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 February 2016
great group of guys to work with, fleet maintenance work, some what of a high turnover rate, very well maintained safety procedures and policies, a great safe shop
productive and approachable workplace,
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  saskatoon SK12 August 2015
the ability to make decision by myself rather than being told what I should or shouldn't t do by the shop Foreman, how to getting the jobs done in a timely fashion and a professional manner, I found that i could approach anyone that I worked with if I ran into a problem with the job that I was doing, the most difficult part of the job I found was remembering weather the part were within the warranty period and the most enjoyable part of the job was getting hand on and left to my own devices rather than someone constantly looking over my shoulder.
Pros
approachable collages and management
Big company with small company feel
Driver (Current Employee) –  Ontario10 January 2015
Is the place perfect No.

Like anything there's good and bad, my last five years have been outweighed with good.

Almost everyone reading this will face a personal or family emergency sometime in there working career. Trimac is hands down the most helpful and understanding while their employees face difficult times.

A lot of companies preach safety As well as Trimac yet they practice what they preach and safety is truly a core value for Trimac.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Not For Everyone
1A Driver (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK4 September 2013
Driver retention seems to be a critical issue with this company, and it's not hard to see why. They will work you 13+ hours every day. I've put in some 15-16 hour days to finish trips. Of course, that's straight working hours, no break at all, and eat as you drive. Consequently, makes it very hard if you have a wife/girlfriend/family, as you won't see much of them.

Most trips are fairly short (distance wise), with 3-4 per day not being uncommon. Rather than dispatch an entire truck load to one customer (i.e. single drop) they like to split the trip into 2-3 drops, often in different towns. Makes for a very tiring day when you need to drag the hoses out 4-6 times a day.

Sometimes dispatched to deliver to very small gas stations in the heart of downtown Regina (Albert St) in the middle of the day with a Super B. Completely ridiculous. There are more than a few locations that should be tri-axle only (or done on night shift), but they keep sending train units in.

Most of the equipment is old, and unless a defect is major, it generally won't be fixed.

Communication isn't the best, as often circumstances will change, and the driver isn't informed until he is at the customer's site. For example, where he sees the access road is under construction.

On the plus side, pay is above average for this type of work, and so it should be. Although my pay isn't as high as was promised in my initial interview. Good pension and benefit plan as well.

Most of the drivers are helpful and friendly, which counts for a lot.

In summary, some drivers
  more... will love Trimac for the benefits, others not so much for the heavy work load and harsh conditions. To each their own...  less
Pros
Decent Pay, Good Pension, Good Clothing Allowance
Cons
Very Long Days, Old Equipment, Poor Communication
Very interesting
Interim Executive Assistant to CEO - (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2015
Replaced an employee and cleaned up their mess and undone work. Very interesting work. I worked hard and long hours and was overlooked for permanent hiring.
Pros
Interesting work
Strategic Sourcing Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 November 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. The most enjoyable part about the job was working alongside my collogues and learning from them.
This Company Is A Joke!
mechanic (Former Employee) –  dundas2 May 2013
This company is a joke, the shop manger has no idea what hes doing, honestly not really sure he knows what a truck is. The shope as some good people working there but have all stopped caring after dealing with the company for so long. the only people that should even think of working for this company are people with no skills and can shut there brains off and listen to a boss that has no idea what hes doing. Its a place to go to end your work life and never do any real work. If your not working there but thinking about it RUN!!
Pros
NO PROS!
Cons
ALL CONS: You will hate your life there!
challenging, fast pace, new learning curve
Traffic Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 July 2015
learns a lot working here regarding trucking industry , makes me eager to learn and achieve more.

learned a lot specially at management level.

friendly and co operative co workers which makes it lot easier to work and learn new things
Pros
nice working environment, friendly co workers
Cons
have to be on call 24 hour (that makes it more challenging)
Great company to work for
Branch Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray AB.3 July 2014
I was the only clerk for this particular branch. My duties included anything to do with administration; purchase orders, scanning of daily work orders, flights and transportation for employee's. Maintained weekly reports for upper management, answering phones. Taking minutes and following up with reports. Ordering office supplies. Filing, the use of different programs such as Oracle Transman. I also dealt with discrepancies in pay with employee's in a timely manner.

I enjoyed working for Trimac, fantastic employee's and management. Supportive and room for growth. Always learning and they take pride in their employee's.
a typical day at work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB10 February 2013
The day starts and you have to look no further then management as the problems start from the top and work their way down, management should never be in a compitition and that is going on,they train you one way at TLC but at the terminal they do the oppisite. The new trucks are garbage in every facet and till they let me go i believe 5 drivers went down with back issues and they dont care.When i first started there was huge mural everybody was great but then they brought in new management and changed things and it went down hill quick,you try just to do your work but it is hard when your lied to right after you arrive at work and then have to deal with things you need to do the job gone from your trailers so it is demorilizing and the moral goes down.I thought the world Of Trimac when i started then came tLC and i even thought that much more of the company but what a huge dissappointment. I will not make excuses for the mistakes i made leading up to my dismissal but I would never recommend them to anybody either. It was a huge let down in my life as a truck driver.
Cons
everything you can think of.
Nice and Quiet
Tax & Licensing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2012
Some management were friendly, and some were stingy
Was there as a temp
Was critized alot for being free, when I had all my work completed far in advanced and at 100 percent completion.
Management in the Licencing Department was very strict and wanted to know everyones personal life and then used it against us.

Pay wasn't great for the amount of work I did and that I completed it early and way before the deadline.

Would start at 8 am to 4pm and half hour lunch
Pros
potluck every fridays
Cons
not enough time to eat lunch
great place to work as a driver and o/p
Cop/driver then became o/p (Former Employee) –  Clarkson On.28 August 2015
Learned a lot about hauling liquids from sugar to liquid nitro.Management great to work with. Being to clear different load brought up from states into Canada.
Pros
Grate learning exp
Cons
great miles
Good company with great potential
Billing and Settlement Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington Ont13 December 2012
Trimac's safety standards and programs are second to none in the industry, they have won several safety awards highlighting their accomplishments.
The addition of the manager of process optimization will aid in beginning to define roles and responsibilities and departmental clarity. The lines are blurred in that regard at the present time.
I have learned some transportation terminology and billing and met some knowledgeable and dedicated people. I have instituted one on ones with all my staff and been able to deliver on some deliverables that have been promised in the past but never followed through on.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
communication
Fuel divison Sherwood Park
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Sherwood park25 July 2014
I worked for the fuel division that place is a complete gong show, the manager is the biggest dummy in that office I dont think that man knows his left hand from his right. So disorganized, half the equipment should be taken off the road. Its a free for all there you cant come to work and enjoy your day because people steal your hoses off your trailers and you need to spend half your morning hunting down gear. But again if you dont want to go to jail because you want to drag that manager outside and sweap the parking lot with him id advice against the place. Most people quit because of him Trimac would smell the roses and fire him.
Pros
Nome
Cons
overall good place to work
Traffic Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL1 December 2014
typica day is quite busy dealing with customers, organizing drivers and performing other administrative duties. co workers were great, the most enjoyable part for me was dealing with drivers nad customers
Pros
great co workers

2.9