Trimac Transportation

Trimac Transportation Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Not For Everyone
1A Driver (Current Employee), Regina, SKSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: decent pay, good pension, good clothing allowance
Cons: very long days, old equipment, poor communication
Driver retention seems to be a critical issue with this company, and it's not hard to see why. They will work you 13+ hours every day. I've put in some 15-16 hour days to finish trips. Of course, that's straight working hours, no break at all, and eat as you drive. Consequently, makes it very hard if you have a wife/girlfriend/family, as you won't see much of them.

Most trips are fairly short (distance wise), with 3-4 per day not being uncommon. Rather than dispatch an entire truck load to one customer (i.e. single drop) they like to split the trip into 2-3 drops, often in different towns. Makes for a very tiring day when you need to drag the hoses out 4-6 times a day.

Sometimes dispatched to deliver to very small gas stations in the heart of downtown Regina (Albert St) in the middle of the day with a Super B. Completely ridiculous. There are more than a few locations that should be tri-axle only (or done on night shift), but they keep sending train units in.

Most of the equipment is old, and unless a defect is major, it generally won't be fixed.

Communication isn't the best, as often circumstances will change, and the driver isn't informed until he is at the customer's site. For example, where he sees the access road is under construction.

On the plus side, pay is above average for this type of work, and so it should be. Although my pay isn't as high as was promised in my initial interview. Good pension and benefit plan as well.

Most of the drivers are helpful and friendly, which counts for a lot.

In summary, some drivers will love Trimac for the benefits, others not – more... so much for the heavy work load and harsh conditions. To each their own... – less
a typical day at work
Driver (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABFebruary 10, 2013
Cons: everything you can think of.
The day starts and you have to look no further then management as the problems start from the top and work their way down, management should never be in a compitition and that is going on,they train you one way at TLC but at the terminal they do the oppisite. The new trucks are garbage in every facet and till they let me go i believe 5 drivers went down with back issues and they dont care.When i first started there was huge mural everybody was great but then they brought in new management and changed things and it went down hill quick,you try just to do your work but it is hard when your lied to right after you arrive at work and then have to deal with things you need to do the job gone from your trailers so it is demorilizing and the moral goes down.I thought the world Of Trimac when i started then came tLC and i even thought that much more of the company but what a huge dissappointment. I will not make excuses for the mistakes i made leading up to my dismissal but I would never recommend them to anybody either. It was a huge let down in my life as a truck driver.

April 4, 2013

So sorry to hear about your experience. I am looking to begin a career in the trucking industry. Any suggestions? I read earlier comments and saw that Trimac was union. Was this benefit? What companies would you suggest I drive for? Who should I stay away from?

Top in its class
Retention Specialist (Former Employee), CanadaSeptember 17, 2015
Pros: Leader in the industry
Cons: Lack of training for new hires other than drivers and not enough emphasis on career development
Great Company, well oiled machine if you will with great levels of expertise and field experience. I enjoyed the "people" the most, from new to seasoned drivers, trainers and most management. There are many opportunities with the company but unfortunately one manager's personal opinion may effect your career development rather than skill. The most challenging part of my job was dealing with some poor, ineffective leaders and having little to no support in fostering the necessary changes. Most rewarding would have be to see an individual accomplish his/her goals, such as a technician obtaining his AZ or a company driver becoming an owner operator and purchasing his first truck. I guess I am a sucker for happy endings...
Like everywhere you have to take the good with the bad.
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONDecember 10, 2012
Pros: travel, cell phone paid for, laptop, 24 help desk service
Cons: long hours
This position was a 24-7 job. My focus was mainly on making sure that the drivers and staff were safe and that they always came home to their families.
Management is very easy to talk to and helpful.
I had very good and respectful employee's.
Hardest part of the job was just being on call all the time.
The job also allowed me some travel to various terminals to listen and learn new things.
The most enjoyable part of my job was listening and learning everyday about something new that I could use as a tool to make all aspects of my job better and easier and most of all safer.
If I learn one thing from being an employee of Trimac is safety is always first.
Fuel divison Sherwood Park
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Sherwood parkJuly 25, 2014
Pros: nome
Cons: all
I worked for the fuel division that place is a complete gong show, the manager is the biggest dummy in that office I dont think that man knows his left hand from his right. So disorganized, half the equipment should be taken off the road. Its a free for all there you cant come to work and enjoy your day because people steal your hoses off your trailers and you need to spend half your morning hunting down gear. But again if you dont want to go to jail because you want to drag that manager outside and sweap the parking lot with him id advice against the place. Most people quit because of him Trimac would smell the roses and fire him.
This Company Is A Joke!
mechanic (Former Employee), dundasMay 2, 2013
Pros: no pros!
Cons: all cons: you will hate your life there!
This company is a joke, the shop manger has no idea what hes doing, honestly not really sure he knows what a truck is. The shope as some good people working there but have all stopped caring after dealing with the company for so long. the only people that should even think of working for this company are people with no skills and can shut there brains off and listen to a boss that has no idea what hes doing. Its a place to go to end your work life and never do any real work. If your not working there but thinking about it RUN!!
Nice and Quiet
Tax & Licensing Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 13, 2012
Pros: potluck every fridays
Cons: not enough time to eat lunch
Some management were friendly, and some were stingy
Was there as a temp
Was critized alot for being free, when I had all my work completed far in advanced and at 100 percent completion.
Management in the Licencing Department was very strict and wanted to know everyones personal life and then used it against us.

Pay wasn't great for the amount of work I did and that I completed it early and way before the deadline.

Would start at 8 am to 4pm and half hour lunch
Good company with great potential
Billing and Settlement Manager (Current Employee), Burlington OntDecember 13, 2012
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: communication
Trimac's safety standards and programs are second to none in the industry, they have won several safety awards highlighting their accomplishments.
The addition of the manager of process optimization will aid in beginning to define roles and responsibilities and departmental clarity. The lines are blurred in that regard at the present time.
I have learned some transportation terminology and billing and met some knowledgeable and dedicated people. I have instituted one on ones with all my staff and been able to deliver on some deliverables that have been promised in the past but never followed through on.
productive and approachable workplace,
Mechanic (Former Employee), saskatoon SKAugust 12, 2015
Pros: approachable collages and management
the ability to make decision by myself rather than being told what I should or shouldn't t do by the shop Foreman, how to getting the jobs done in a timely fashion and a professional manner, I found that i could approach anyone that I worked with if I ran into a problem with the job that I was doing, the most difficult part of the job I found was remembering weather the part were within the warranty period and the most enjoyable part of the job was getting hand on and left to my own devices rather than someone constantly looking over my shoulder.
Great company to work for
Branch Clerk (Former Employee), Fort McMurray AB.July 3, 2014
I was the only clerk for this particular branch. My duties included anything to do with administration; purchase orders, scanning of daily work orders, flights and transportation for employee's. Maintained weekly reports for upper management, answering phones. Taking minutes and following up with reports. Ordering office supplies. Filing, the use of different programs such as Oracle Transman. I also dealt with discrepancies in pay with employee's in a timely manner.

I enjoyed working for Trimac, fantastic employee's and management. Supportive and room for growth. Always learning and they take pride in their employee's.
Big company with small company feel
Driver (Current Employee), OntarioJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: work life balance
Is the place perfect No.

Like anything there's good and bad, my last five years have been outweighed with good.

Almost everyone reading this will face a personal or family emergency sometime in there working career. Trimac is hands down the most helpful and understanding while their employees face difficult times.

A lot of companies preach safety As well as Trimac yet they practice what they preach and safety is truly a core value for Trimac.
Lots of Potential
Head Office (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 27, 2013
Pros: the people
Cons: the salary
- The best part about this company is the fantastic front line staff who you get to work with on a day to day basis.
- Flexible hours are offered in most departments which can accommodate family, additional employment, extra-curricular activities or schooling.
- The ideas that management has in regards to corporate culture and company values are fantastic, however it's not implemented in most areas of the company.
- The salary is low compared to market, and only upper management receive bonuses.
excellent,
transport driver (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONNovember 27, 2015
Management was very cooperative in showing respect to everyone, they were always easy to approach. As a female they never demanded more than I was capable of handling. My fellow workers showed the same respect for me as I did for them. The hardest part of the job was to stay outside for an hour or longer with no shelter fr
om the weather when it was severely cold in the winter.
New Hire Mislead by Management and Dispatchers
Driver (Former Employee), TrailFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: location
Cons: too many to list, do your due digilence and check.
Hired as a driver and was told many things, that after three months never appeared.
Recommend other drivers to use caution when applying and get things in writing. Dispatchers and managers are just as disconnected from the drivers as any other company.
Typical company that blames the drivers first before looking within.
challenging, fast pace, new learning curve
Traffic Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 28, 2015
Pros: nice working environment, friendly co workers
Cons: have to be on call 24 hour (that makes it more challenging)
learns a lot working here regarding trucking industry , makes me eager to learn and achieve more.

learned a lot specially at management level.

friendly and co operative co workers which makes it lot easier to work and learn new things
Fast pace environment, customer service skills, computer literacy.
Traffic supervisor (Former Employee), Dundas, ONJune 25, 2015
Pros: Great salary/ pension
Cons: On call duties
Long but rewarding work hours, trained to perfection on industry and company standards, great teamwork when required from all dispatch employees, on call for minimum one week per month, received tons of "hands on learning".
Fast paced, daily time demands on fuel board
Traffic Supervisor (Former Employee), Kamloops,BCOctober 16, 2012
This job offered a great work schedule in a modified 4 on 4 off shift and 10 hour days. There were pressures of getting the afternoon shifts planned before 12:00 but a good support to make the required planning chooses.
Couldn't have worked for a worse employer
Driver/Operator (Former Employee), Dundas, ONFebruary 10, 2016
Cons: mechanical fitness problems, had to fight to get things dome, bad management
Worked there for just under 3 months. Lots of promises and little done. Lots of lies. Moved to be closer to the yard just to get the boot for no reason. Taking them to court
Wanting to sale and get out of my truck .
Transport Owner Operator (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: like working with people
Cons: will work long hours
Would like to work closier to home not enjoy having my truck. Am a very hard working people and get along with other . Will work day, after and midnight whatever I need to do.
This place is a nightmare
Mechanic (Former Employee), Dundas OntarioApril 30, 2013
Pros: no pros only cons.
Cons: see review
I have worked at this Dundas branch and it is a complete joke.
The management is the most dishonest and unorganized people I have worked with. Everybody in the shop is miserable because of the shop manager who is a complete idiot!
Industry