Trican Well Service Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A good company to work for.
Truck Driver/Acid Operator (Former Employee), Drayton Valley. A.B.September 12, 2013
The company was good to work for. the hours were ok and the pay was good.Management was good .had lots of support.
A lot to do
Clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMay 23, 2013
Typical day is busy talking to various level of management. Values are great and there is a wide range of cultural background.
A good company to work for but has huge problems
Purchaser/Partsperson (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABFebruary 8, 2013
Pros: great pay and benefits - if that's all you;re looking for then it's a great company to work for.
Cons: management says they have an open door policy, sure, you can go in and talk to them b ut they won;t do anything about the problems you discuss.
I spent 3 years with Trican as a Parts Person for Down Hole Tools. I was the only person working in teh Storeroom and had to do all tasks pertinent to operating a warehouse/storeroom. I looked after 5 geographical regions for downhole tools and as the workload increased so did the problems. It wasn't long before I discovered there was no opportunity for advancement as a Parts Person, my years of experience didn't matter, nor did my opinion about the operation of the Storeroom. Offers to change the operation were made but only meant more work for me to do, adding to the stress already present.
It's great place for advancement if you are a Coil Tubing Operator, Tool Technician, Frac Operator or any other Field position, but if you;re a supporting trade/position you can forget it. They hire outside people who are unqualified for management positions. Case in point - New Supply Chain Manager for Completions Systems and Downhole Tools is a Registered Engineering Technologist with no knowlege or experience in Supply Chain Management. Why would any company put someone in such a position with no knowledge/experience whatsoever?? The "old boys Club" mentality is still alive and doing fine in the oilfield.
Bait and Switch!
Administration (Former Employee), Clairmont (Grande Prairie) ABFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: office politics, poor salary and career advancement
In Trican's generic job postings for administrative positions they write:

What Makes Us Attractive:
•Excellent base salary with one of the best benefit programs in the industry
•Long-term commitment, including a training and career development program
•Above-average career advancement opportunities

These where what drew me to the company. Benefits are very good the only truth the the above 3 statements. Base salary is average and is all the same regardless of your experience. I found out I was getting paid the same as the receptionist that had less than a year experience and I had over 8. They do not believe in giving raises (after three months, a year or even if you change to a position with more responsability eg. accounts payable to accounts recievable).
They do not let administrative staff go for training and they do not give you a timely performance review or have you set up in a career development program. The only "above-average career advancement opportunities" are if someone gets fed up before you do.
You will get 2 weeks vacation but you are not allowed to go on a two week vacation until you have been with the company for a year. You can go on a one week vacation after 6 months of service. Not a week before. They claim they are family friendly, not true, if you have kids, you better hope they never get sick or need you at any time between 8-5.
Expect to hear sexist remarks from Management.Expect your direct manager to blame everything on the Base Manager or Calgary. She will not support or fight for you. She is just a puppet.

Ladies I worked with were great.

Wishing – more... I had known all of this before I started. – less
Not the company it used to be!
Former Employee (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 13, 2012
Pros: good benefits and reasonable compensation.
Cons: new management that have changed the culture of the company
Company advocated that employees were cared about but this is no longer the case. Executive have lost touch of what is important and that is their employees. Loyalty is no longer valued. This company has changed for the worse.

February 8, 2013

Exactly why I just left at the end of January 2013. With 30+ years experience as a Partsperson, and 3 years with TRICAN, I felt my knowledge and experience wasn't valued in any way, my opinion didn't matter and there were no advancement opportunities for me. The more my workload increased the less they seemed to care about me as an employee.

Great company with easy going atmosphere
Fracturing Engineer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 27, 2012
Pros: relaxed environment
Love the environment and knowledge level. Well respected company in the city.