Trican Well Service

Trican Well Service Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
they're ok
Operator/Driver (Former Employee), AlbertaJuly 2, 2014
Pros: they pay to get your class 1
Cons: dont follow the rules and policies they have in place
I worked for Trican for 3 years and I wish I would not of stayed that long,the values the preach they do NOT follow themselves, if management liked you they would let you get away with anything and they only liked the people the friends they put in positions, if your going to work here get your class one put in the year you owe them for getting it for – more... you and get out – less
is a typical well service cmpany
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABJune 29, 2014
good shifts, decent pay, great retirement job, good inter department relations
Fun and enjoyable
Technical Trainee (E.I.T) (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 13, 2014
I had a very memorable experience at Trican Well Service. The team leads and managers are very friendly and they understand their employees problems and needs.
No Direction/lots of favouritism
Parts (Former Employee), AlbertaMay 25, 2014
Pros: pay, some of the employees
Cons: lies, lack of direction, no future
I gained lots go good working knowledge but was unable to use it
as the management at the location I worked at was a joke. Then only way to advance is to be related to someone higher up or be a buddy of a special group of people in Red Deer. If you are not a butt kisser look for work somewhere else.
Iron Worker
Iron Worker (Former Employee), Nisku, ABMay 13, 2014
-Rebuilt and preformed pressure testing on all different units such as plug valves, swivels, check valves and safety irons.
Ok work environment
Parts Lead (Current Employee), Red Deer, ABApril 30, 2014
Pros: relaxed work environment
Cons: not much future
Not very challenging. Not accepting to employee input. Little chance of advancement.
great place to work.
Heavy Duty field mechanic (Current Employee), albertaApril 14, 2014
Pros: great benefits
great place to work with good benefits and good people to work with
Awesome job
Frac Pump Operator (Former Employee), Estevan, SKMarch 18, 2014
Great place to work..awesome pay and great opportunities..learned a lot and gained a great deal of valueable experience
good experience
electronics specialist (Former Employee), hintonJanuary 29, 2014
Overall good experience, pumping company with having units like Fracpumps , blenders , N2 units , data vans , chemvans
5 years heavy duty mechanic
Journeyman Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee), Nisku, ABJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: they do have a good benefit program
Cons: inexperienced management
Poor training program for heavy-duty mechanic for learning their equipment. They will tell you one thing and do another. Barely any overtime. Company is a dead-end place to work at. If your a trades person stay away
A good company to work for.
Truck Driver/Acid Operator (Former Employee), Drayton Valley. A.B.September 12, 2013
The company was good to work for. the hours were ok and the pay was good.Management was good .had lots of support.
A lot to do
Clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMay 23, 2013
Typical day is busy talking to various level of management. Values are great and there is a wide range of cultural background.
A good company to work for but has huge problems
Purchaser/Partsperson (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABFebruary 8, 2013
Pros: great pay and benefits - if that's all you;re looking for then it's a great company to work for.
Cons: management says they have an open door policy, sure, you can go in and talk to them b ut they won;t do anything about the problems you discuss.
I spent 3 years with Trican as a Parts Person for Down Hole Tools. I was the only person working in teh Storeroom and had to do all tasks pertinent to operating a warehouse/storeroom. I looked after 5 geographical regions for downhole tools and as the workload increased so did the problems. It wasn't long before I discovered there was no opportunity – more... for advancement as a Parts Person, my years of experience didn't matter, nor did my opinion about the operation of the Storeroom. Offers to change the operation were made but only meant more work for me to do, adding to the stress already present.
It's great place for advancement if you are a Coil Tubing Operator, Tool Technician, Frac Operator or any other Field position, but if you;re a supporting trade/position you can forget it. They hire outside people who are unqualified for management positions. Case in point - New Supply Chain Manager for Completions Systems and Downhole Tools is a Registered Engineering Technologist with no knowlege or experience in Supply Chain Management. Why would any company put someone in such a position with no knowledge/experience whatsoever?? The "old boys Club" mentality is still alive and doing fine in the oilfield. – less
Bait and Switch!
Administration (Former Employee), Clairmont (Grande Prairie) ABFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: office politics, poor salary and career advancement
In Trican's generic job postings for administrative positions they write:

What Makes Us Attractive:
•Excellent base salary with one of the best benefit programs in the industry
•Long-term commitment, including a training and career development program
•Above-average career advancement opportunities

These where what drew me to the company. Benefits – more... are very good the only truth the the above 3 statements. Base salary is average and is all the same regardless of your experience. I found out I was getting paid the same as the receptionist that had less than a year experience and I had over 8. They do not believe in giving raises (after three months, a year or even if you change to a position with more responsability eg. accounts payable to accounts recievable).
They do not let administrative staff go for training and they do not give you a timely performance review or have you set up in a career development program. The only "above-average career advancement opportunities" are if someone gets fed up before you do.
You will get 2 weeks vacation but you are not allowed to go on a two week vacation until you have been with the company for a year. You can go on a one week vacation after 6 months of service. Not a week before. They claim they are family friendly, not true, if you have kids, you better hope they never get sick or need you at any time between 8-5.
Expect to hear sexist remarks from Management.Expect your direct manager to blame everything on the Base Manager or Calgary. She will not support or fight for you. She is just a puppet.

Ladies I worked with were great.

Wishing I had known all of this before I started. – less
Not the company it used to be!
Former Employee (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 13, 2012
Pros: good benefits and reasonable compensation.
Cons: new management that have changed the culture of the company
Company advocated that employees were cared about but this is no longer the case. Executive have lost touch of what is important and that is their employees. Loyalty is no longer valued. This company has changed for the worse.

February 8, 2013

Exactly why I just left at the end of January 2013. With 30+ years experience as a Partsperson, and 3 years with TRICAN, I felt my knowledge and experience wasn't valued in any way, my opinion didn't matter and there were no advancement opportunities for me. The more my workload increased the less they seemed to care about me as an employee.

Great company with easy going atmosphere
Fracturing Engineer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 27, 2012
Pros: relaxed environment
Love the environment and knowledge level. Well respected company in the city.
Canadian Company
ELECTRONIC SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Mathis, TXSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: great core values
Cons: lack of management stability
Company trying to grow market in US but lacks ability to adjust cultural difference between countries. Company needs to work on management infrastructure.
Trican takes pride in their employees,never putting the job before safety and completes each job with quality.
Field Supervisor (Current Employee), Mill Hall, PAAugust 2, 2014
Pros: on site catering
Cons: incliment weather.
I direct operators and supervisors with their daily activities and procedures in the field. Maintain the quality of each job making sure all materials are in place for completion. Train and mentor fellow workers. Direct and guide co-workers to follow and understand company polices and procedures. Direct employees to follow rules and regulations that – more... the employer and customer require for all operations. Maintain and track all safety equipment and make sure that co-workers and third party hires are using the correct PPE for the task at hand. The most important thing I have learned is how to deal with the multiple personalities that co-workers and third party hires might have or develop on a daily basis. My co-workers are not only my Team mates but they become one big family. Management communicates well with the field supervision. Management is always willing to help with any issues that may arise 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The hardest part of my job is organizing the set up, rig down and mobilizing all equipment to the new location. I enjoy training fellow co-workers, watching them grow with the company and helping them develop the skills to be a valuable asset to the company. – less
productive
Frac Equipment operator III (Former Employee), Odessa, TXJuly 10, 2014
its a good company to work it, where good place for people who new to oil field easy to learn move up pretty much
Great benefits
Field Cook (Former Employee), Longview, TXJune 28, 2014
Great pay, very long hours and time away from family. Pay close attention as it is dangerous enviromrnt