Trican Well Service Employee Reviews

great company, tough work
Industrial Service Operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB7 January 2017
long shifts 15 on 6 off, hard dirty work, great benefits, not a lot of room to grow in some divisions, learned a lot, management wasn't always clear on next job
Pros
great benefits
Cons
long shifts
It used to be good.
Fracture operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB12 September 2016
I was in the fracturing Dept and things were good a few years back when the oilfield was busy. I enjoyed my job and liked my crew , we all stick up for each other. Unfortunatly, as times became slower and things were uncertain the job changed. The management constantly treated the employees like garbage and as time went on more and more people left, yet they continued to treat everyone like they were nothing. Maybe now they have realized it after loosing almost everyone this spring.
Frac Pump Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB11 June 2016
Trican is a great place to work although the economy is not helping their current situation. The offer great benefits, constant opportunities for growth, and very competitive wages.
Hard work with good pay and benefits
nitrogen supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hinton, AB26 November 2015
Trican was a great place for me to work for 5 years. Because of my age and my children being grown up the away from home part was not as bad as if I had younger family. I found working with my co-workers very interesting and entertaining since I was twice their age. The hardest part of the job was being away from home next to that would be driving the tractor trailer since I had no experience before coming to trican. Definitely the feeling of accomplishment in a job well done was my most enjoyable part of the job but it was on very few occasions that someone from the company would specifically say anything directly to you.
Pros
medical benefits and holidays
Cons
always away from home and work long hours
Great co-workers
Cement operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 May 2016
The job was definitely physically demanding but rewarding. The company was fair and helpful. There were very long working hours but the work gave me 6 days off each full shift.
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
working very long hours
Good company, but affected by gas prices
Journeyman Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB19 March 2015
I worked for Trican for just under 4 years and was laid off due to market conditions. Their wages are not the top in the industry but still competitive, however the culture, benefits and team make up for that. We worked for a few months longer than other companies in the industry due to the foresight of our management to plan work that would be stable for longer. They are affected by gas prices and eventually had to lay off staff as well so its only as stable as the price of gas.
Great working environment, very safety focused.
Iron Truck II (Former Employee) –  Drumheller, AB12 April 2015
Trican was a great place to work all around. Co-workers and management were both invested in my training and the training was top notch. It's hard for me to judge the Job Security/Advancement section because I was only 5 months in when the crash in oil prices came and we got laid off. That being said, given the opportunity I would certainly go to work for them again.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
We weren't kept busy enough but that was due to outside circumstances.
great place to work
Frac Pump Operator 1 (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 February 2016
Good place to work, can't beat the benefits. The 15 and 6 schedule is alright. But if your not popular or liked by others, come break up you can say goodbye.
benefits
Cons
long days, being gone for long periods of time.
good place for experience
Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 April 2016
was a good place for experience, worked on alot of different equipment and was home every night. Your time was never really your own being on call all the time but gave me great experience and people skills once I decided to go someplace else.
Pros
experience on lots of different types of equipment
Cons
time was never your own
Not the company it used to be!
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 November 2012
Company advocated that employees were cared about but this is no longer the case. Executive have lost touch of what is important and that is their employees. Loyalty is no longer valued. This company has changed for the worse.
Pros
good benefits and reasonable compensation.
Cons
new management that have changed the culture of the company
Enjoyed working
Junior SharePoint Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2016
- I learned a lot about SharePoint from Architecture point of view.
- Helped a lot of fellow co-workers regarding SharePoint
- All my co-workers were really friendly
- the amount of tickets were so high and challenging which ensured me to learn even more from my co-workers
Great company when times are right
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB9 September 2015
Great company to work for. At the mercy of oil prices management at the time was no good resulting in poor supervisors and leadership.
benefits
A company like many, that does what is in their interests first.
Heavy duty mechanic (Current Employee) –  alberta5 September 2015
Steady secure, job. and that is about all. There is not anywhere to go with this place. Very hard to advance in a company that has so many people that are well connected. If you are content with a day to day job with a steady paycheck then this is the place for you. If you have career ambitions, I would suggest you get experience from them and move on.
A good company to work for but has huge problems
Purchaser/Partsperson (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB8 February 2013
I spent 3 years with Trican as a Parts Person for Down Hole Tools. I was the only person working in teh Storeroom and had to do all tasks pertinent to operating a warehouse/storeroom. I looked after 5 geographical regions for downhole tools and as the workload increased so did the problems. It wasn't long before I discovered there was no opportunity for advancement as a Parts Person, my years of experience didn't matter, nor did my opinion about the operation of the Storeroom. Offers to change the operation were made but only meant more work for me to do, adding to the stress already present.
It's great place for advancement if you are a Coil Tubing Operator, Tool Technician, Frac Operator or any other Field position, but if you;re a supporting trade/position you can forget it. They hire outside people who are unqualified for management positions. Case in point - New Supply Chain Manager for Completions Systems and Downhole Tools is a Registered Engineering Technologist with no knowlege or experience in Supply Chain Management. Why would any company put someone in such a position with no knowledge/experience whatsoever?? The "old boys Club" mentality is still alive and doing fine in the oilfield.
Pros
great pay and benefits - if that's all you;re looking for then it's a great company to work for.
Cons
management says they have an open door policy, sure, you can go in and talk to them b ut they won;t do anything about the problems you discuss.
doesn't follow there core values
coil tubing op (Former Employee) –  grande prairie29 October 2014
They build them selves up to be such a great company that looks after employees well when i hurt my back they fired me two days later and with held my final pay and were arragont and rude and unwilling to admit they wrongfully fired me
Pros
bonuses, people
Cons
Long hours. poor attention to employee concerns and issues
Bait and Switch!
Administration (Former Employee) –  Clairmont (Grande Prairie) AB6 February 2013
In Trican's generic job postings for administrative positions they write:

What Makes Us Attractive:
•Excellent base salary with one of the best benefit programs in the industry
•Long-term commitment, including a training and career development program
•Above-average career advancement opportunities

These where what drew me to the company. Benefits are very good the only truth the the above 3 statements. Base salary is average and is all the same regardless of your experience. I found out I was getting paid the same as the receptionist that had less than a year experience and I had over 8. They do not believe in giving raises (after three months, a year or even if you change to a position with more responsability eg. accounts payable to accounts recievable).
They do not let administrative staff go for training and they do not give you a timely performance review or have you set up in a career development program. The only "above-average career advancement opportunities" are if someone gets fed up before you do.
You will get 2 weeks vacation but you are not allowed to go on a two week vacation until you have been with the company for a year. You can go on a one week vacation after 6 months of service. Not a week before. They claim they are family friendly, not true, if you have kids, you better hope they never get sick or need you at any time between 8-5.
Expect to hear sexist remarks from Management.Expect your direct manager to blame everything on the Base Manager or Calgary. She will not support or fight for you. She is just a puppet.

Ladies I worked with were great.

Wishing
  more... I had known all of this before I started.  less
benefits
Cons
office politics, poor salary and career advancement
They do not follow there core values and they do not hold them selves accountable for there own mistakes
Nitrogen operator (Former Employee) –  Alberta8 December 2013
Stay away!!!!! After8 years with company
Was pushed out the door!! Management treats there employees horrible!!! They
Belittle u , suck the life out of u and manipulate u into thinking that u need them. Cut wages , performance bonuses. Etc
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Horrible dispatchers, mid management
they're ok
Operator/Driver (Former Employee) –  Alberta2 July 2014
I worked for Trican for 3 years and I wish I would not of stayed that long,the values the preach they do NOT follow themselves, if management liked you they would let you get away with anything and they only liked the people the friends they put in positions, if your going to work here get your class one put in the year you owe them for getting it for you and get out
Pros
they pay to get your class 1
Cons
dont follow the rules and policies they have in place
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB25 February 2015
the job is tough at times and the hours are long but the benefits and everything else that the company offers makes it worth it all at the end the 15 and 6 schedule makes the work live balance hard.
No Direction/lots of favouritism
Parts (Former Employee) –  Alberta25 May 2014
I gained lots go good working knowledge but was unable to use it
as the management at the location I worked at was a joke. Then only way to advance is to be related to someone higher up or be a buddy of a special group of people in Red Deer. If you are not a butt kisser look for work somewhere else.
Pros
Pay, some of the employees
Cons
Lies, Lack of direction, no future

2.8