Travelex

Travelex Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive work place
Trade Confirmation Administrator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 8, 2013
• Prepared and monitored daily Position & Limits activities: P&L, Exposure and Forward Gap, Counter party and Trader limits, and immediately reported any breach or risk situation to management. Released or confirmed deals after appropriate approval was obtained.
• Performed daily detailed evaluation and graphical reporting of all trading activities to Treasury.
• Provided timely updates of Dealing Mandates and coordinated with the various parties including Traders and Senior Management on limit changes.
Typical day at work
VAT Team Manager (Current Employee), HeathrowJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: working as part of a team
Cons: language barrier with passengers
I manage a team of 35 staff members working on different shifts whilst they serve customers flying out to their respective countries and wanting to claim their VAT upon their return. Whilst my staff serve the passengers, I normally am in contact to senior managers across Heathrow, handling and ordering various currencies for our branch, looking into any differences which may have arisen on the previous shift as well as dealing with any awkward passengers who are being rude or abusive to my team. I also help with any payroll or internal audit issues for the branch.
No day is same
SALES TEAM MANAGER (Current Employee), HeathrowDecember 8, 2014
An excellent place to work. You meet people from different diversities and gain different experiences.
Good company to work. very supportive team
Assistant Account Coordinator (Current Employee), London, ENGNovember 24, 2014

fun workplace
Travel Money Advisor (Current Employee), PeterboroughNovember 23, 2014
Pros: company benefits- discounts at over 1000 retailers
Cons: -
It has been a pleasure working for Travelex. Management and co-workers have always been friendly and supportive. The most enjoyable part of the job was interaction with customers- all customers were nice and had their stories to tell. I know it is hard to believe but truly Travelex hardly ever get difficult customers.
I have got to say that Travel Money Advisor role involves a lot of admin. I spend 2 hours daily, just to sort out paperwork and make sure everything complies with standards.
Incredible lack of progression
Foreign Currency Exchange (Current Employee), FrimleyNovember 10, 2014
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: low pay, no progression
A generally fun and interesting place to work but it lacks in progression and actual career pedigree.
Enjoyable place to work
Travel Money Adviser (Former Employee), Coventry, ENGNovember 9, 2014
No two days were the same! Typical day would include checking all currencies were correct against balance sheet,banking,buying and selling currencies.Excellent customer service was a must as you are face to face with customers from the moment you open until the moment you closed.Hardest part of job would be the long opening hours during the summer( busy ) period.I thoroughly enjoyed being on the front line and speaking to customers.
An isolated working environment
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Manchester AirportNovember 9, 2014
Most of the time had to work alone and under pressure. With minimum wage and vast job requirement, its not worth working for Travelex.
Customer service
Travel Money Team Leader (Former Employee), Manchester, ENGNovember 2, 2014
Face to face customer service is the most enjoyable and rewarding part of this job

New restructuring has forced many roles to become redundant and so job progression is rarely available
It's hard to like your employer, but co-workers are great.
Customer Service Consultant (Current Employee), Manchester, ENGOctober 31, 2014
Pros: great co-workers, strong work ethic.
Cons: long hours, working weekends and bank holidays. employer does not care for employee's wellbeing at workplace.
Work at the airport starts 4AM, the latest possible finish 11PM. Working 10,5h shifts 3 days on, 3 days off with a one unpaid 45 min break. Basic pay for new starters despite working unsocial hours, weekends, bank holidays. Employer contributes just the minimum required 1% to your pension. After 5 years of work you get max 22 days of holiday (which is really only 18 days, as the employer's definition of a workday is 7,25h, while your real paid day of work is 9,25h). Company's uniform provided. Company is undergoing constant change, so you need to adapt quickly to new proceedures and to a fact that change does not necessairly mean improvement. It is more of a trial and error aproach. They require cleaning of the office from you (their interpretation of "keeping the workplace tidy" in your contract). Only water is provided (the minimum required by the law) so workers need to buy their own tea and coffee despite working from 4AM. On the plus side co-workers are an excellent and positive bunch of people!
Travelex
Travel Money Manager (Current Employee), Oxford, ENGOctober 29, 2014
Its a good place to work with plenty of progression opportunitys
Payments Technician (Former Employee), PeterboroughOctober 10, 2014
Friendly people, reasonable management.
Most people have a good sense of humour
Great if you can work wherever, whenever, all week long!
TMA (Former Employee), YorkshireOctober 8, 2014
Pros: friendly colleagues, work experience
Cons: unfair promotion practice, no recognition of hard work
Worked here for a while - colleagues great although worked mainly alone. Annual pay rises of about 10p an hour - better than nothing I suppose, however not consistent with the amounts of cash you are responsible for. Progression hard as team leader vacancies either not advertised internally or given away to team leader's 'favourites' or as a reward for doing lots of overtime - completely discriminatory against anyone cannot work until late on a night and all weekends, who have any other commitments or who simply want to do their contracted hours - not 40-50+ when you signed-up for 15-20! It's a luck game really dependent on managers, but if you get stuck with a team leader who gets the job despite being completely unsuitable then beware! A lot of these team leaders will openly refuse to recruit parents (because their children are such inconveniences), students, anyone with another job (can't cover every hour God sends!), or quite simply anyone whose face doesn't fit. It's a decent job, you can build great customer service skills, but don't let this be your career, you'll get no-where, except for stuck in a box whilst your 'manager' swans in whenever they please to then spend all week doing 'paperwork' that can be done in an hour.
Worst company, ever.
TMA (Former Employee), UKSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: experience
Cons: pretty much everything else.
Travelex is probably the worst company you could work for, the only pro of working here is the experience and how I have gained confidence with customer service. EVERYTHING else is terrible.

The management to colleague communication is so, so poor I felt as though I didn't even have a manager, the only time you would speak to the higher managers were if you'd done something wrong! you don't get appraisal for anything!! All they care about is whether the bureau is open or not..Oh and expect to get phone calls on your days off constantly seeing if you can come into work, the bureaus are always under staffed so if you're on a 20 hour contract don't be surprised if you're working 50 hours.. They don't care about your health or how tired you are just as long as bureaus are covered.

How some of the team leaders have jobs I do not know as there are so many other colleagues that weren't team leaders that seemed to do more work than they do..again no appraisal and no one gets noticed as it looks like the team leader does all the work - when they don't.

If you're looking for a career, Travelex is not the best option, if you're looking to be constantly tired and it take over your personal life, go ahead :)

When I handed in my notice it was the best feeling in the world, why would you want to work for a company that you're SO excited to leave??
Good Job
Travel Money Advisor (Former Employee), London, ENGSeptember 17, 2014
Good working hours, good co workers.It was easy to be trained due to the fact that the training was good quality.
fun workplace
VAT Sales consultant (Former Employee), heathrow terminal 5September 15, 2014
good place to work but really bad management and no progression.
horrible staff
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Stockport, ENGSeptember 15, 2014
No work/life balance. they ring you up in the morning of your day off to cover sick staff. also i worked in excess of 60 hours a week and get no thanks for it.

the management team only benefit them selves so they do not work late shifts and turn up at what ever time they want.

double standards is an issue here as well so if you really need a job that bad and have no other option please feel free to work for such a terrible company!!!!!
A GOOD EXPERIENCE
travel ex (Former Employee), CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVEAugust 22, 2014
Pros: good and flexible work enviroment
at travel ex I have learnt a lot about worldwide currencies, managed the store alone, worked in a multicultural team, trained new employees and won bonus for good work and achieving sales target.
Too much responsibility, not enough pay.
Travel Money advisor (Former Employee), EnglandJune 9, 2014
Pros: breaks, flexibility, great staff, full training, a lot off communication, incentives, bonus, overtime.
Cons: small pay for amount of responsibility in a busy bureau, lack of support from some staff, but not all!
Travelex has a LOT of lovely staff who made my experience one to remember and really enjoyable. The staff and training can not be faulted.
However, if busy, too much responsibility is asked and very little pay. No recognition on things which should be appraised, only negatives which is de-motivating. Managerial system - some managers have full support behind you 100%, others don't. Which again makes you feel de-valued when hierarchy don't recognise that everyone needs support to be "one team"
I would recommend this job as it depends what managerial structure you get. Couldn't be more thankful for the experience and opportunities the company have given me.
productive and fun to work with many incentives
Sales Representative (Former Employee), London, ENGJune 7, 2014
Pros: 70% disscount in our meal + bonuses
Cons: 4 on 4 off 12 hours shift
Over all I enjoyed working at the airport
and Ilove my job.
I learned to be more proffesional when talking and dealing with different people.
Management I love It.
With my work colleague they wre friendly.
And most enjoyable part of my job is when Im on the top seller list of the month.

1 2 3 4

About Travelex

Foreign exchange is at the heart of our business. We make at least one foreign exchange transaction a second which means that – Read more