Travelers

Travelers Employee Reviews

Culture has changed in the last five years
Senior Personal Lines Insurance Representative (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 4, 2014
In 2008 the entire cultural work environment changed under the guise of company growth and product effectiveness. Truthfully there is a much more sinister reason. The company was bleeding and to stop the bleeding, they changed the environment to become call center based. Promotions, raises and bonuses became more competitive and scarce. At one time this was a great company to work for but they are continuously outsourcing despite how hard you work. It is hard to keep up morale with that type of environment even for management. Unbeknownst to new employees they were hired on with lower pay. Tenure is not a factor when it comes to holidays/vacations or pay increases. The corporation does not treat its employees very well. In addition they now force all employees in service to work a rotating weekend and holiday schedule.
Pros
good pay (possibly doe) and ability to achieve bonuses
Cons
negative and stressful position with heavy call volume
Productive not a fun workplace
All State Multiline Acct Manager/LSO (Former Employee) –  St Louis, MissouriFebruary 24, 2013
A typical work day was very busy, I learned what was needed to get the job done Management was not great very clickish, micro manage, Management showed double standards one rule apply to one, another rule applied to another person Management was not fair some co workers were okay others were not. The hardest part of my job to have to look at the double standards in the workforce.The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to produce a product for the customer that was sold and being able to retain the business. I enjoyed the finish product on a timely matter and knowingly I put my best effort forward. The job was like an art being able to put together a product within the rules and guidlines . I like th corresponding with people inside outside the company and the customer. I enjoyed the job, I enjoyed working
Cons
short breaks, micro manage, people watcher, clickish, trendish, inconsiderate, personal information giving out, to many rules double standards etc
Efficient work environment which promotes "Living a Customer First Culture"
Lead Insurance Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 31, 2013
An eight hour workday includes taking calls from agent's and consumers, assisting with a wide array of insurance matters such as billing, Travelers products, technical assistance with our quoting and issuing platform, policy coverage counseling and/or changes. The management staff are extremely supportive, offering constant coaching to help in individual development. I received my property & casualty license as a new hire, and my employer pays for the continuing education courses so I am able to maintain this. I have also gained additional experience in becoming a "leader" for my peers, and have been involved in mentoring of new hires and peers, as well as lending management staff support with their administrative tasks.
Pros
pension, 401k, excellent paid time off, many developmental opportunities
Cons
all time off is in one paid time off bank so there are not personal/sick days
Please read
Insurance service rep (Former Employee) –  Colorado Sprinngs, CONovember 14, 2011
Had the unfortunate circumstance to be employed by this company. Where do I begin. Totally agree with the other reviews. Management does not care about employees or mentor them in any way. Employee turnover is very high at this company because of heavy workload. Management only hires their friends and promotes only their friends as well. Management and leads are not approachable at all. If you do go them with any issues, will be sorry later. People are promoted on the basis of friendship with the manager not on the job you do. Raises are given only friends of the manager. Management is just downright mean and insulting much of the time. Lastly, there is no room for advancement at this company. They lock you in the job you started in, unless you are a "buddy" of management.
Pros
vacation time is substantial, but have to beg and plead for time off.
Cons
rude management, unhealthy work conditions, low pay, unrealistic work load, high employee turnover.
Friendly, respectful and fun place to work
Associate Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 16, 2015
Overall, my experience at Travelers was good. Management and my co-workers were easy to get a long with and were always very helpful, no matter the situation. I learned a lot, both about my job and myself. I gained a good understanding of how different business units work together and how a company as large as Travelers stays organized and functional. The hardest part of my job would have been learning all of the different in's and out's of insurance. That being said, Travelers had a great training program for all new hires, so once I completed the training I was fully prepared to do my job at a high level. The most enjoyable part of my job would have been working with people who truly cared about me and were easy to get a long with. Also, my managers really gave me the tools to advance professionally by giving my jobs and projects that allowed me to learn and be challenged.
Pros
great benefits and job culture
fun and fast paced
Operations specialist (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAApril 30, 2014
A typical day of work consisted of: reviewing emails, completing and setting diaries for specific adjusters, sending off benefit notices, calculating payments, requesting medical records, setting appointments, documenting and scanning, faxing, creating stipulations and compromise and release packages, contacting COBC and WCIRB, and various team meetings

I learned how to work well with others and in a fast paced supportive team environment.

Management was always helpful and would stop at nothing to give advice and help out when needed.

The hardest part this job was having to cover overload work from sister offices

the most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers. they always rose to the opportunity to help one another out.
Pros
fast paced and always had something to do. there was not a dull moment
Cons
the relationship between the adjusters and their team assistants were not that tight knit
Typical Corporation
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAJuly 19, 2013
Numbers-driven to a fault, ever-changing focus, more focused on areas of opportunity than areas of excellent performance. High turnover from employees quitting and being fired. Exceptionally high burnout rate. They compensate you for two people and expect the work of four. There are three awesome managers who understand a lot of the BS coming down the corporate line and allow employees to do their jobs without micromanaging. Two other managers are terrorists who are more concerned with flexing their muscles than having a happy, productive team.

The job itself is interesting for an analytic and investigative person who also enjoys customer service. The hardest part of the job is staying positive when rules are changed without warning to your detriment.
Pros
awesome co-workers, great pay and benefits, great job-security, excellent training
Cons
poor management, lack of caring, very high-stress
Terrible place to work, bad work culture, Employees neglected.
Not announced (Former Employee) –  hartford, ctMarch 28, 2013
Overall very poorly managed and unhealthy work culture. Only a very few favored get promotions, bonuses and better opportunities, that too based on an underground buddy system.
Very few areas within Travelers may be OK to work.

When the company no longer wants you around they will create unfair negative performance reviews and start harassing you and force you out of a job. They have a high turnover rate and hence are always hiring. Seems they do not care about employee’s needs and career path and do not believe in nurturing an employee’s career and have them grow with the company and become successful contributors.

If you plan to join this co., then find another job. If you are in there, run and find another job.
Pros
ok benefits, some good people.
Cons
lower salaries, mis-managed, long hours, unhealthy culture, lack of job security, huge turn over
Travelers
First Party Medical Claim Representative (Current Employee) –  PAJuly 15, 2014
Travelers is an excellent company overall. The salary and benefits are outstanding and the training provided is done well. Travelers promises opportunity and growth however, they are constantly omitting job positions or combining several positions into one, thus creating less jobs. For the past several years Travelers has been reducing the number of claims representatives and managers as well. The job itself is desirable. The claims representative position, which requires excellent customer service in a very fast paced environment, is a rewarding job. There are very specific guidelines that the employee must follow and is graded on in order to always improve customer service and overall claims handling. In short, the only downfall of Travelers is that they are downsizing.
Pros
excellent benefits, very good training
Cons
lack of job security
Don't waste your time.
Insurance Service Rep (Current Employee) –  KnoxvilleJuly 9, 2014
I have worked for Travelers for many years and the company has changed so much. Only apply if you like to be micro managed, have seniority not count, alway told what you are doing wrong, crazy matrix in which you are measured, hooked to a phone you cannot get away from unless on your 2-15 min breaks or your 30 min lunch. Schedule change every 6 months.

Over 1/2 the people I know have not had raises in almost 3 years

People are so stress due to the high call volume due to closing 2 business centers and not hiring enough people to pick up the slack. Also when Travelers hires a class of 20 people we are lucky if 10 make it out of training and onto the floor. Once new hires are on the floor taking calls we usually loose 2 or 3 more.

We get about 3 emails a week stating "John Doe no longer works for Travelers we wish him well in his future endevors."
benefits
Cons
micro managemet, high stress
Lots of travel and seeing new processes and product manufacturing.
Senior Risk Control Consultant (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXApril 24, 2014
A typical day at work would include contacting policyholders to schedule a visit. Then travel to multiple policyholders each day to observe their operations and make recommendations to help the policyholder prevent losses. I learned how many products are manufactured, different company cultures and loss prevention efforts.The hardest part of the job was coordinating multiple policyholders to meet on the same day at times that are good for them. The most enjoyable part of the job was the communication between Risk Control, underwriters and claims when preparing to do a visit or to discuss the visit afterward.
Pros
good in house training and information availability, good mileage and good comradery between the consultants.
Cons
length of report and short timeline to complete it.
Not worth it... think twice about working here
Auto Damage Claim Representative (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CADecember 12, 2012
Excellent compensation and benefits. Coworkers are great. Teamplayers. No support from management. Not a lot of employees over 40 years old working there. Turn over is incredible. Revolving door. Everyone is stressed trying to pick up pieces when coworkers are let go or forced to quit. Micro management, large workloads left from former employees and the constant fear that you will be terminated prevents you from properly investigating claims and giving them the time they deserve. Not a good career choice. Take your degree and go to a company that will really appreciate you and your hard work
Pros
healthcare, benefits, coworkers
Cons
micro management, lack of management training, no leadership skills, lack of job security, huge turn over and current employees are expected to absorb the workload
High-quality work experience and professional environment. But, not the best location for me.
Associate Analyst (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 28, 2014
Travelers is a great place to work -- young analysts have the opportunity to do in-depth credit research both on specific names in a coverage universe and on industries. Associate analysts work closely with senior analysts and portfolio managers in making trading decisions in a $65+ billion investment fund. Very conservative culture.

This is a great job for someone who wants to live in the twin cities for the long-term. And although I enjoy the work and my co-workers are high-quality professionals, I do not see myself staying in Minnesota. I grew up in Connecticut and New York City and am excited to move back to the area and bring my energy, skill-set, and work-ethic to a new company.
Pros
good experience and relationships with co-workers
Cons
location
Exciting, fast-paced work environment!
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 1, 2013
As an employee at Travelers, I work with a lot of very talented and accomplished insurance professionals who are always willing to share with me the benefit of their vast knowledge. I have learned a lot during my tenure with the company and have increased my skill-set significantly. Management is very thorough in that you always know where you stand performance-wise. They don't wait until review time to tell you improvement is needed, giving you ample time to correct any issues. The hardest part of my job in the beginning was becoming familiar with the many products and resources the company offers. The freedom to be creative and think outside of the box is the most enjoyable aspect of my job.
Pros
knowledgable co-workers, fast-paced environment, good salary
Cons
some work-life balance issues
Energetic office with Diversity
Life New Business Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 14, 2014
My position held many responsibilities as I worked in three areas of the department as need was required. Most recently worked on premium payments, learned about the different life products offered by the company while processing life insurance applications, and records management. Management made many demands for change throuoght the day, so being flexible and a team player at a moments notice was key. All my co-workers were great to work with, were also flexible, and we all assisted eachother in processing the work. The hardest part of the job was during absences where we had to not only complete our own work but cover for the absent team member. The most enjoyable part of the job was the comradary and the Events put on by the company for us.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
commute to and from work
strong company
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 26, 2013
A typical day in my position consisted of answering the phones all day long. I had to answer customer and agent inquiries spanning from coverage counseling, billing questions/problems and helping agents through technical questions with our systems. Over the last five and a half years I have learned many skills. I learned all about personal insurance. The managers are great. Each brings their own style to the table. The hardest part of the job is diffusing upset customers and keeping calm and tactful in the process. The most enjoyable part of the job is the fun activities the company plans here and there to appreciate their employees.
Pros
great benefits, lots of vacation time
Cons
shift changes, losing focus on caring for employees, syracuse office and other offices have closed
High turnover.
Sales Executive, Select Accounts (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAOctober 22, 2015
The work is directed, focused with constant activity. I loved that it was constantly challenging. I learned to use many online tools to help me better assess performance of partners. This helped me to allocate my time, and direct my activities to stimulate business. I exceeded my goals many times over the years.

Management is very negative, rarely positive. High turnover in all positions, including management caused constant stress. The best part of the job is the collaboration with teammates. I learned to let the team work, to capitalize on the talents of various team members and to lead the team to exceed our goals.
Pros
I loved the constant travel, meeting new people, creating and nurturing partnerships.
Cons
Constant negativity from management was challenging to overcome.
Not at this time
Sales Executive, Southern Indiana (Current Employee) –  IndianaAugust 8, 2013
Responsibilities:
• Responsible for management and profitable development of all agencies within agency assignment
• Maintain quality working relationship with cluster/aggregator group representatives
• Train and develop newly appointed Agencies and their staff
• Build & maintain effective relationships with customers & agents
• Development and execution of sales and marketing initiatives to achieve growth and profitability objectives. Ranked 10th in the nation and over 100% to plan through June 2013.
• Complete strategic marketing plans for territory to identify opportunities and potential challenges from which strategies and tactics are developed
• Develop product, underwriting and sales knowledge to counsel and sell available products
Only apply here if you enjoy being treated poorly.
Account Manager; Sr Policy Svc Rep (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 24, 2011
I worked here for six long years. I've never seen people who are not held accountable for their lack of work or productivity. I've seen people lie about their "numbers" and received bonuses for same. If you bring any of this up to management, you're on the list. Do not apply for a job with Travelers. The manager in charge just wants to hire and promote friends who aren't even qualified for the position. Just plain wrong. It was a very hostile work environment with all the employees always complaining about the poor management. Not worth it.
Pros
sometimes got to listen to music on headphones, a paycheck
Cons
horrible management, people weren't required to actually work, belittling boss who says inappropriate things
great pay/benefits but little room for growth
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  new yorkApril 1, 2015
Travelers has an excellent benefits package including a handsome salary and time off package. This has allowed me to be flexible with my family time. The environment however, is very stressful and negative. Everyday is a battle between doing the right thing and giving people what they want. There are often very angry customers that you have to deal with. Once in while there is someone that is grateful for the service you provide and that is rewarding, but that is few and far between. There is little room for growth and/or movement. Management is hard to find most of the time therefore they are little help. We rely on our peers to get our questions answered.
Pros
pay, benefits, peers
Cons
no room for growth/movement, empty promises