Travelers

Travelers Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
be careful what you wish for
Senior Information Specialist (Former Employee), Hartford, CTAugust 7, 2012
Pros: campus facility, cafeterias, indoor gym affiliations, wide spacious work environments
Cons: high tunrnover, fdemand for quick results within an unreasonable timeline, lack of mentorship and goal setting
This company is the cadillac of insdurance companies and it has an extremely large footprint in Connecticut. That said it owns a campus of buildings in Hartford( where I worked), also in Windsor Locks in other localized areas of Connecticut the names of the towns escape me and then in St Paul where its corporate headquarters are located.
The first thing I saw that impressed me was the corporate sky bridge which looks out over the Hartford skyline and on it there sits a Starbucks kiosk where you can purchase coffee and seating exists to talk about projects and implementations and so forth. The aesthetics aside however after about a month in I came to find the work environment nothing short of brutal. More than five days a weeks you will be taking work home and as a production support specialist. I not only did that but was on call by corporate celll phone day and night and the morning was fraught with meetings with outsourced workers in Mumbai, India handling our deployments and testing and levels of integration of various projects. This would have been fine day a few months out of starting but this was something I was put into in my first week, along with with QA testing and delivering the test execution plan subject to review, coding implementation, working on change management in subversion and familiarity with the entire infrastructure web app servers, web service servers and database servers across the entire corporate hierarchy and testing and roll back procedures and all with a supervisor who was permanently on the phone and remote and not physically there to provide any – more... level of mentorship. Plus you were tested on the critical systems in a conference room at least once a week and I had barely finished my paperwork with HR as a new employee at the time. If you did not answer correctly you were berated and scolded by the senior production support specialist in the room who was the expert in such meanwhile the manager I worked was guilty of "black booking" and "score sheeting" where he would reserve any comments and just write down the imperfections or lack of meeting his expectations silently down in the book and then he would call you into a impromptu conference meeting passing casually by your cubicle and have papers in front of you stating either objectives had been met or had not. This is a carrot and stick approach..a passive aggressive way of determing and getting the best results from someone and frankly it only works to drive someone from a company fast as opposed to getting what you are paying for in terms of performance. The best way I know is to make sure the person comprehends with absolute clarity the task that is ahead of them and then to be certain the person has the capability to carry out said task from the initial point of hire. But as a development manager my contention is that his involvement should have been key from the inception to rather than regard what someone else said in terms of your role or performance to have been involved with the code reviews and the standards and practices first hand. The job was sold to me as a senior web development position and it was clearly more than that which is why it was overwhleming and subsequently what the they wanted and what I could give them was incompatible in comparison at best. I found out that before I was let go and liad off by the company that my immediate predecessor had only stayed there for two days. A vital piece of infomation obviously withheld and for good reason looking back on it. But outside of my own experience the company has jobs available in IT and in other marketable careers there but from my own experience and most of the recruiters I have spoken with this is not due to expansion of the business there even though they make a lot of money corporate wide in the insurance business. The inflation of jobs there comes from turnover.. employees that were fired , consultants or contractors terms or work expired , workers that resigned or laid off from a multitude of jobs that were held only months or less than a year before on average. So appearances and impressive skybridges aside I would advocate working for a company that works with you to do your best vaia collaboration and goal setting with benchmarks that can be assessed over a period oftime and has tools and checkpoints to help you not only meet but exceed their expectations so that the only way you could possiblu not thrive in such an environment is if you a) didn't personally want to acheive your best b) you didn't want to work there at all. – less
Travelers is not what it is claimed to be. J.D. Powers has it wrong.
Insurance Services Representative (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: plenty of parking
Cons: erratic work schedules, difficulty in getting time off, unhealthy conditions and uncaring management.
Travelers stated to the employees in a meeting that the preferred customer is someone with a $500,000 home and two premium cars, i.e., BMW, Mercedes-Benz, etc. Anyone other than that is considered trash and Travelers will try to get rid of them with higher rates and premiums. Travelers wants to cater to a niche group that reflects their Dow listing.
The CEO of Travelers stated at the annual Disneyworld recognition dinner that he almost felt guilty for taking a $27 million bonus on the backs of the workers - almost. The Hartford, Connecticut headquarters is undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation, while a regional call center has mold, dirt and dust coming out of the air vents. Those vents have not been cleaned in years and the carpet is filthy. Concerns have been raised but nothing is done.
The workers no longer receive an annual raise based on performance. They now try to keep ahead of their peers on a daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly basis to get a competitive payout.
The last few new hire training classes are composed of young people in their late teens and twenties. The older employees who have been steady, knowledgeable and hard working are being systematically forced out due to their health care costs, 401K matches, pension and annual income.
Travelers was found guilty in California of price fixing and had to pay a large fine to the state. They have been involved in the past to conspiring with other companies to fix rates on Builders Risk policies. They had to pay into a financial restitution pool in a class action lawsuit.
At least they have a cute dog on their – more... commercials. – less
Claims Customer Service - Inefficient Management
Claims Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Windsor, CTFebruary 22, 2013
Pros: benefits & pto
Cons: no feedback from management, secrecy, corrupt managers, unfair review system, no advancement opportunities
Travelers is a great company to work for EXCEPT in Claims Customer Service. Stay away from this department. Management is inefficient, unfair, corrupted, and only value employees as numbers. Claims Customer Service reps are known as “CSRs”. Key drawbacks include:
•Essential employee - meaning if the world is ending, you MUST show up for work.
•Mediocre training – must learn workflow changes for different business units within a couple or months or expect negative reviews for not handling a call correctly.
•Quality Team – worst in the industry, untrained, bias, and review each call from an unfair template.
•Unit Managers – Pompous individuals who lack leadership qualities. Spend their time hiding behind their cubicles, pretending they care, and punching numbers and percentages into an unfair review template.
•Advancement – only advancement available is becoming a glorified CSR in the Keep and Close department. K&C handle minor single vehicle accident claims. But this promotion only comes if you magically achieve 100% reviews constantly and only if the Quality team is having a good day. You may advance to a different department only if you have a good referral. Otherwise, CSR’s are stuck in a cycle of achieving good results for three months, then bad results the following three.
•Tuition reimbursement – sorry CSR’s don’t apply. Unless you are majoring on a Bachelors of Science/Arts in Happy Go Lucky Claims Customer Service.
•Feedback – only feedback you will receive is when you are not constantly receiving 100% reviews. If on a bad day you receive a 99% review, do expect an email – more... communication from your unit manager. Any positive actions from a CSR is either passed by or forgotten.

Two sentences can describe the positives for working as a CSR. Travelers provide excellent benefits and paid time off (PTO). In conclusion, stay away from Claims Customer Service, but do attempt other departments. – less
Corporate America with a nice Acidic Twist
Claim Representative (Former Employee), Hartford, CTJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Compensation is great, advancement is decent, corporate leadership is very fiscally responsible
Cons: Morale, Metrics, High Turnover, Poor Team Spirit
Travelers is a very strong and financially based insurance provider. Their numbers are all driven by bundling their policies, otherwise they won't most likely insure you. They are driven by a conservative, but powerful approach to their business, which has certainly paid dividends in the long haul.

As for the company's working atmosphere, I would say that it is pretty much your run-of-the-mill corporate company. A lot of policies instituted by HR representatives who have absolutely no idea how anything works, except explaining how you messed up. A lot of times the company can send mixed messages. Management doesn't always make it clear when you are succeeding or failing and often times they will let you put the noose right around your neck before they come in and say anything.

Morale at this place, especially in Hartford is very, very somber. A lot of people don't even pick their heads up as you walk by them, and most people seem like they are just too busy to even talk with you (unless you scheduled a meeting with them). A lot of people who work there, have been there for TOO LONG. They have horrible work ethics, and legitmately no care for the greater good of the company. I mean it is great to retain people for 40+ years, but at the same time Travelers will never see people stay more than 10 years at the current rate their at.

Metrics and many other things are how this place works, but it really boils down to how well you are connected. Much like a lot of other places. Politics and red tape rule the day.
Their Initial Treatment of the Employee Made Me Quickly Fiercely Loyal
Training (Former Employee), WashingtonNovember 18, 2014
On the whole, the organization is the most amazing place to work for. Excellent advancement opportunities. However two things make it a major risk if consider working there. Firstly, unless you are in a home office role (Hartford, CT or St Paul, MN) your overall experience is almost ENTIRELY dependent upon the quality of your manager. Not all managers at Travelers are worth anything. Some are downright horrible and their employees suffer. I was fortunate to have the most amazing manager so my experience was amazing on the whole. Secondly, and more gravely concerning, the company, like most large 40k+ employee Fortune 100 or 500 companies, are beginning to value efficiency and machine like consistency from their employees that they feel can only be achieved, cost effective anyhow, by outsourcing, new automation, or more rigorous "best practices... thus eliminating the value on the human element of the jobs. My opinion is that the human element, not completely consistent ever due to the fact that we are humans, is the most critical element that separates out the men from the "trained monkeys." Our ability to adjust and adapt to ever changing circumstances and make nuanced and thoughtful decisions that best cater to our end customer whomever that may be is the single most critical element we can contribute and taking the freedom to adjust on a case by case basis away from the employees cripples them, demoralizes them and takes away their self worth and relegates them to the same level as machines and/or trained animals. Travelers, like many large corporations today, has succumbed – more... to this temptation and this "disease" is running rampant through the entire enterprise. – less
Employee oriented, excellent management style and good team.
Senior Claim Case Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: company provided excellent resources to assist you in making a timely decision.
Cons: restricted to only working 40 hours per week.
Aggressively investigated new Workers' Compensation claims as they came into the unit for a quick, yet accurate compensability decision. Sole investigator of Construction claim, but also assigned the handling of large National Account claims. Investigated on average 30 claims per month. Typical day: answer voice messages, obtain recorded statements from claimants and witnesses, obtain pertinent information from the employer and obtain all facts, including all medical records, from medical providers. Worked closely with defense counsel to create an effective strategy for good outcome and timely resolution of litigated claims. Managed my desk by timely managing my diaries. Excellent managers with open door policy. Great group of co-workers. We all worked as a team in order to meet our monthly goals. I was the go-to (mentor) member of the unit when questions arose regarding jurisdictional law, direction to be taken to complete an investigation or questions to anticipate from customers when reporting the compensability decision. Hardest part of the job was to complete recorded statements of injured worker within 24 hour real time Best Practice goal. At times it was difficult to contact they injured construction worker to obtain a statement because of the hours they worked or the project site. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships that developed between myself and internal/external customers.
Terrible Environment
Claims Operations Specialist (Current Employee), Portland, ORMay 3, 2013
Pros: sometimes you got the scraps left over from management meetings in the breakroom
Cons: manager never present, cold sterile environment, micro managaged, unrealistic expectations
I had high expectations starting work there, but quickly found out from experience and people talking around me that they were trying to get out and it wasn't a good place to work. The only way to get ahead is if you are part of someone's family (nepotism at it's finest), you won't be eligible for a raise for at least a year, regardless of your performance, it you are eligible for a raise after that, the managers have a yearly "rate and rank" where they all join in a conference room and gossip to each other about the worker's pros and cons and if they deserve a raise or not. This way all the management knows about you even if they aren't your manager. Good luck getting a raise if you aren't a favorite. I thought my manager was so self-absorbed, she was never around and only cared about getting ahead herself. Horrible boss with no social skills. She wasn't interested in her team at all. They'll work you to death with no "thank you" or "good job." I can see now why there is such a high turnover in the Portland, OR office. Good news, they give you a lot of time off---Therefore, there's always one or two people missing from your team at any time giving everyone else more work.
I would avoid this company if possible
Total Loss Adjustor (Former Employee), Albany, NYJuly 22, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: no breaks, work through lunch, mandated overtime, lack of diversity, no support from management
In the area, for insurance companies the pay is slightly more- but I assure you it is definitely not worth it. The work varies and when a catastrophe happens the company is never prepared so the employees have to bend over backwards. Prepare to do lots of overtime or kiss your job goodbye. A gang of employees will be hired at one time and then people just drop off, and the rest are left to pick up the pieces.

Management has no clue what going on and the jobs change often. They love to tell you they don't have a crystal ball, and yet in the next instance the whole workflow changes. Also, they don't respect the years you have put in. Senior employees get laid off left and right, doesn't matter if you were the first or last one hired.

Co-workers and peers are great, BUT the environment is so tense you could expect to hear dramatic whispers and even tears in the bathroom. The employees are all angry and hate it.

Also- if you are ethnic, be prepared. You will not be able to go further and you will be pushed out. Very few remain, there really is very little diversity there.

Be careful who you choose to make a friend- very cutthroat.
This sweat shop is full of dead end jobs....Don't work here.
Claims (Current Employee), Great Lakes RegionMay 9, 2013
Pros: above average salary and benefits
Cons: poorly managed from the top down, low moral, you are set up to fail in this work environment.
Travelers keeps cutting lower management positions so you have fewer places to go for help if needed. Leadership from upper management is not strong enough to stop outside claims support groups such as Claim Product Management and Quality Management who basically dictate to experienced unit managers and adjusters what should be included in files. Then managers use minor points that have no bearing on file outcomes or customer service to deny yearly raises or bonuses. Employee moral is poor because management would rather concentrate on what is wrong instead of what is being done right and there is plenty of second guessing of your claim decisions by management and field trainers. You are set up to fail from the beginning because of outrageous work loads throughout most of the year. You are always under a microscope in terms of what you include in each file as there is too much to do on each claim as dictated by the groups I mentioned above. They are always short staffed even though management will deny this base on some outdated formula. There is no clerical support or efficient letter correspondence system.
A sales company, with no one from a sales culture.
Sales Executive (Former Employee), Reno, NVDecember 15, 2014
Pros: base salary was acceptable.
Cons: the cons are clearly noted in the review.
The notion of work/life balance was kind of humorous at Travelers. Few, if any of my fellow Sales Execs ever felt like we were paying the proper attention to our families simply because the company jumps from on panicked initiative to another, never really ending one, just stacking more on top. What was the end all, be all focus during our usual scrambling mid year meetings, became just another 'priority' as they would heap more on us month in and month out.

Management is all about product, and rarely employs people from a sales culture. Sadly, when your clients are all about the sales culture and you have little expertise in management, you fail to generate much enthusiasm or trust.

Bonuses, which I'd always earned at other companies, were usually tangled into so many qualifiers, field execs could rarely meet those requirements. In the 4 years I was with them, our region only paid 2 or 3 Sales Execs, and those bonuses amounted to less than $4,000. By contrast, previous employers had been paying out $15,000-40,000.
Great company if you stay away from claims positions.
Outside Property Adjuster (Former Employee), Greater Los Angeles AreaSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: good pay and benefits, work from home, company car.
Cons: insane workload, generally have to relocate to move up.
Travelers pays a high wage compared to other companies and spends a good deal of time and money on training, but they really need to revamp how their property claims department is managed. When I was hired, I was told the job requires 50 hours per week. In reality - to do the job correctly according to all of Travelers' requirements - you need closer to 60 hours per week. The real issue though is that Travelers doesn't want to pay more than 40 hours per week. Trying to do a job that requires 60 per week in just 40 hours is extremely stressful. The job itself - trying to settle claims in a manner that is acceptable to both the insured (sometimes represented by attorneys and public adjusters) AND Travelers - is stressful enough as it is.

There are ample job opportunities in other career paths, but most of Travelers' offices are located only sporadically in California. They do have a much heavier presence though back east. So... if you're willing to relocate, you can move-up relatively quick. I would've been happy to stay at Travelers in another capacity. It just didn't work out for me.
Horrible place to work
Underwriter (Former Employee), St. PaulOctober 21, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: micromanagement, too much work, top management heavy
This used to be a great company to work for. Within the past 5 years, they have become micro-managers. They keep piling more and more work onto everyone which takes away from what we should be doing. Providing excellent customer service. Rather than hiring more and more managers, they should hire the workers. Also, there is no loyalty for people that have been there for many years. They only are hiring young people. They're pushing out the people that have been dedicated to this company making them the money. People that have been doing a great job and working many extra hours end up getting bad reviews. Yet the young people that are new employees, get great reviews. They focus on college degrees. Unfortunately when some people come out of college and expect to move up the ladder because they have a degree. A degree doesn't make you a good worker. Experience and being a dedicated worker who loves their job make the best employees. Also, they have decreased everyone's authority so you can't get your job done. It's very sad to see so many people leave because of what this place has become. Unfortunately, they were very good people who really cared about their jobs and the people they worked with.
Good place to work if you like having to work a 15 hour shift the day before going into surgery! This company will work you until they no longer can!
Account Manager (Former Employee), St. Paul, MNApril 23, 2013
Pros: pto
Cons: read the few reasons why i resigned after 15 years.
I now know why everyone who I looked up to left the company. The culture has changed and it is no longer the same good company to work for. Most are still there as they plan to retire in a couple years and do not want to lose their pension. While others are not in a position to resign.

Anyhow, I am one of the lucky few who could and can honesty say, "Resigning is the best decision I ever made."

The below are a few reasons why I resigned after 15 years.

* Underpaid and overworked (easily putting 50-60 hours/week).
* Forced work a 13 hour shift the day before surgery.
* False promises.
* Poor management.
* Extreme micromanagement.
* Race discrimination and favoritism from upper management.
* Back stabbing colleagues who will not speak the facts because they are afraid they will next.
* Poor training and inconsistency across the board.
* High turnover.

Bottom line, management can and will treat you anyway they want with the help of HR personnel.
Dynamic UPDP Program
Intern- Underwriting Prof Devel. Prog. (Former Employee), Edison, NJSeptember 27, 2015
Pros: Exposure to insurance underwriting with experienced personnel.
Cons: At times one dimensional experience when working on independent projects.
Travelers really invests in their interns. I was a summer intern for the UPDP Program in the Ocean Marine Business Unit in Edison, NJ. My typical day at work included shadowing of top underwriters who took on accounts pertaining to ocean cargo and luxury yacht. I was also given independent projects where I developed lead lists to expand our book of business. I learned what goes into a typical quote and all the strategies used to minimize financial exposures. Management was extremely comprehensive and visibly wanted me to learn the process. My hiring manager and co-workers were always available to help me through any questions I had. The hardest part of the job was the vast pools of data I was often given. Attempting to interpret this was challenging. The most enjoyable part of my experience was the overall exposure to corporate America. The many lunches with agents and brokers, trips into the Manhattan office, and corporate meetings were very rewarding.
This was a very good company to work for and would probably still be there if I had not been laid off due to decrease in claims in assigned area
Claim Representative/Technical Specialist (Former Employee), Leland, MSJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Working mostly independantly out of my house
Cons: On call 7 days a week
I was a insurance claims adjuster and handled multi line claims with specialty on investigating, evaluating, negotiating and settling bodily injury claims.
Each day was different depending on new claims. I never new if I would be in office or in the field each day. I negotiated claims with attorneys and claimants each day and would review insurance policies, determine coverage, issue any denial or coverage issue letters and issue settlement payments. I did all the clerical duties myself as I worked out of my house.
The hardest part of job would to have set up 5-10 appointments in the field and then when I was meeting with someone I would get another claim and required to make contact within an hour.
I would assist other claim representatives with legal and claims evaluation.
We had a good group of employees and supervisors. I was laid off after 26 years, and 2 company mergers, as were most of my co-employees I worked with all these years.
Don't waste your time.
Insurance Service Rep (Current Employee), KnoxvilleJuly 9, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: micro managemet, high stress
I have worked for Travelers for many years and the company has changed so much. Only apply if you like to be micro managed, have seniority not count, alway told what you are doing wrong, crazy matrix in which you are measured, hooked to a phone you cannot get away from unless on your 2-15 min breaks or your 30 min lunch. Schedule change every 6 months.

Over 1/2 the people I know have not had raises in almost 3 years

People are so stress due to the high call volume due to closing 2 business centers and not hiring enough people to pick up the slack. Also when Travelers hires a class of 20 people we are lucky if 10 make it out of training and onto the floor. Once new hires are on the floor taking calls we usually loose 2 or 3 more.

We get about 3 emails a week stating "John Doe no longer works for Travelers we wish him well in his future endevors."
Not very busy a lot of down time
assistant (Former Employee), PANovember 19, 2015
Pros: great benefits, good vacation/PTO time right from the start
Cons: manager has hard time developing a relationship with his Assistant, not a very busy locations for Admin workload, way to much downtime
There was not a lot of help given to me when I started in my position. I was taught by other co-workers but done over the phone since they were located in other parts of the country. The hardest part of my job was finding ways to stay busy. I like to work and I like being very busy and like having great relationships with my boss and co-workers and thrive on my co-workers trusting me to get projects done for them. I feel there is a lack of respect coming from upper management for someone in my kind of position. My manager barely even said good morning to me even on my first day, he definitely was not very approachable either and plays favoritism.
There are other employees that work in other locations were fantastic and very helpful when I was I need of instructions. Their benefits package was fair and they are very understanding that sometimes things in your personal life come up that need attention.
The job culture was pretty good as well.
The Dream Job for learning and advancement!
Accounting Supervisor (Former Employee), Richmond, VADecember 16, 2015
Pros: Learning and obatining new skills, team dynamics, job advancement and forward thinking culture
Cons: N/A
I initially was hired as the workforce specialist for the Claim Customer Service site in Richmond VA. This was my first experience with working on a virtual team and management. This caused one of the biggest learning opportunity in my career experience. The virtual team role was new for me and I felt myself drowning. Never afraid to ask for help, I reach out to the site director for guidance and mentorship. I also returned back to school to obtain for BS in Business Management. A typical day would include forecasting, scheduling, planning recommendations requiring gap analysis, technical assistance and system acceptance testing
Providing statistical call-center data analysis for daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly report standard, formats and procedures.
Delivering presentations and findings for call-center core measurements, statistical data analysis, improvements and control methods to entry level staff, management peers and senior leadership team members. I absolutely adored my virtual team peers and my the site leadership team.
Efficient work environment which promotes "Living a Customer First Culture"
Lead Insurance Service Representative (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYJuly 31, 2013
Pros: pension, 401k, excellent paid time off, many developmental opportunities
Cons: all time off is in one paid time off bank so there are not personal/sick days
An eight hour workday includes taking calls from agent's and consumers, assisting with a wide array of insurance matters such as billing, Travelers products, technical assistance with our quoting and issuing platform, policy coverage counseling and/or changes. The management staff are extremely supportive, offering constant coaching to help in individual development. I received my property & casualty license as a new hire, and my employer pays for the continuing education courses so I am able to maintain this. I have also gained additional experience in becoming a "leader" for my peers, and have been involved in mentoring of new hires and peers, as well as lending management staff support with their administrative tasks.
Culture has changed in the last five years
Senior Personal Lines Insurance Representative (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYJuly 4, 2014
Pros: good pay (possibly doe) and ability to achieve bonuses
Cons: negative and stressful position with heavy call volume
In 2008 the entire cultural work environment changed under the guise of company growth and product effectiveness. Truthfully there is a much more sinister reason. The company was bleeding and to stop the bleeding, they changed the environment to become call center based. Promotions, raises and bonuses became more competitive and scarce. At one time this was a great company to work for but they are continuously outsourcing despite how hard you work. It is hard to keep up morale with that type of environment even for management. Unbeknownst to new employees they were hired on with lower pay. Tenure is not a factor when it comes to holidays/vacations or pay increases. The corporation does not treat its employees very well. In addition they now force all employees in service to work a rotating weekend and holiday schedule.
Revenue