Transport Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and satisfying work.
Senior Advisory and Appeals Officer (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 19, 2016
Pros: Good work/life balance
Cons: Hierarchical management
I represent the Minister of Transport before the Transportation Appeal Tribunal of Canada(TATC) in matters of civil aviation and marine medical, licensing and enforcement across Canada. I am fluent in English and French. I am an attorney who has worked in private practice litigation, professional fund-raising for McGill University and in the investment business as a Sales Representative.

The most enjoyable part of the job is discussing innovation , culture change and case issues with colleagues many of whom are lawyers.I participate in issues of Transport Canada sustainability and workplace issues such as collegiality and employee retention. I am learning every day . The hardest part of my job is dealing with old-fashioned management rules that can de-motivate employees, .A typical day at work involves review of files and preparation for hearings before the TATC as well as Change Management and workplace improvements. Co-workers are professionals and open to discussion of ideas and different approaches to achieving results and serving the public.
Fast paced and productive workplace
Program Analyst (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 4, 2015
Pros: poisitive work environment
Cons: no cons
Working at Transport Canada is always enjoyable and challenging. It is an environment that promotes learning and growth. Communication and respect are also important themes carried out in my current workplace. My team is a well-coordinated group of people that aren't afraid to take on challenges and get the job done in a timely manner.
Review
Analyst (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 17, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers, but how you personally grow and develop. Big company, hence decent amount of red tape and politics.
A varying employment due to changing policies within the Federal Government
AS-02 Bilingual Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 24, 2015
Pros: Challenging and varying work
Cons: The slower times were not as stimulating as I like. Fortunately, this did not happen often.
Relaying information to the different branches in our Department. Varying daily activity depending on regional and national issues. It was enjoyable working with a diverse workforce. I was given the opportunity to develop within our group with budgetary changes and to meet the needs of our client base. It was both fulfilling to be challenged in my work. It was a great place to retire from and I am now looking at re-entering the workforce to enjoy news challenges and benefit from the interaction of a work environment once again.
Transport Canada Port Hardy Airport
Manager, Resource Management (Former Employee), Port Hardy Airport, Port Hardy BCSeptember 14, 2015
Pros: The best view of the airfield and the Queen Charlotte Strait ever!
Cons: Brickwall people.
I loved my job at the Airport. My job was challenging and always interesting. I enjoyed and interacted well with my superiors and fellow employees in Vancouver and Ottawa. I miss many of my fellow employees and the NAV Canada,Pacific Coastal, Budget Rent a Car and National Car Rental employees.
Stable work
Containment Specialist (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 14, 2015
Working for Transport Canada is a typical federal government job. Although the engineering team was loads of fun, the work was repetitive and un-motivating. The advantage of working for the government is that the wages are attractive and the training opportunities are present.
Friendly, felt included, fun, enjoyed the Bagel mornings
Clerk 4, Federal Government (Former Employee), Richmond, BCMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Good pay and benefits, ability to move up in the workplace
Cons: The long drive there and back worsened with increase in population
Looked forward to work each day, starting sometimes with coffee and bagels. Office work, started with checking emails, entering and updating computer data, answering the telephone, checking mail and general office duties.

I learned to use software designed specifically for the input of overtime hours and shift premiums worked by the Air Traffic Controllers so they were paid by Head Office in Ottawa.

Management and co-workers were helpful, encouraging and fun.

The job required me driving from Langley to Richmond through the Iron Massey Tunnel or over the Alex Fraser Bridge. At times traffic congestion or accidents made it hard to be punctual.

Finding out how Air Traffic is managed, I found very educational and interesting.
Productive and Fun Work Place
Information Management Assistant (Current Employee), North York, ONFebruary 24, 2015
I really enjoyed working at Transport Canada. There are always different things that you could be doing from filing, pulling files, sorting the mail, creating files etc. My co-workers were very friendly and always willing to answer my questions.
Good work/life balance, but must deal with government bureaucracy.
Transportation of Dangerous Goods Officer (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 4, 2014
Pros: travel to new sites every week.
Cons: government bureaucracy.
Travel to various sites throughout Alberta and conduct inspections based upon the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations.
I enjoy meeting people in industry and helping them to understand the regulations.
I will travel alone half the time and with co-workers at other times.
I will often attend train derailments involving dangerous goods. I am needed at the site in order to ensure rules and regulations are being followed and to give guidance as to what is required. I also communicate with government officials in Ottawa and elsewhere as to what is happening at the scene.
Was a great place to work
Fleet Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 21, 2014
This was only a four month contract but had a great Manager and it was a lot of fun working there
No advancement, bad atmosphere
Regulatory Enforcement Officer (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 16, 2014
Pros: central
Cons: bad atmosphere
No team work, people don't care for their job. Management only focuses on how things are perceived from the outside, not on reality and what is the best interest for citizens.
Great opportunity
Policy Analyst (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 29, 2014
Had the opportunity to learn first-hand about the policy cycle and its potential complexities.
Loves Transport Canada
Program Information Officer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 17, 2013
Highly recommended, interested, lots to learn! Would love to work here again if I could.
Enjoyable place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), TorontoOctober 2, 2013
- adminitration / receptionits
- in's&out's of trans port Canada
- Very good/ fair
Great learning and development department
Policy Advisor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 10, 2013
Great place to work with alot of potential to learn in your field. Opportunities to work with experienced individuals plenty.
I enjoyed all my years of work with Transport Canada
Accounting clerk (Former Employee), Moncton, NBAugust 17, 2013
I worked in Finance and had the opportunity to do all the accounting cycle along with Administrative duties while I was with Transport Canada, It was a wonderful and interesting period of time. I was able to attend allot of courses and acquired all the knowledge and tools needed to function with confident and accuracy.
Excellent Place to Learn
Operational Support Assistant (Former Employee), North York, ONMay 16, 2013
Pros: co-op students are treated well
Cons: commute was too far
This organization is excellent for anyone interested in networking and learning more about the Transportation Industry. I really enjoyed my first co-op, and luckily was hired back for a second one. Unfortunately, the commute was very, very long!
Public Health Agency of Canada
Ministerial Correspondence Coordinator (Former Employee), Ottawa, OntarioApril 19, 2013
Pros: contract position
Cons: agency contract
I found that the management did not know how to work with the employees. They could of used more training to help with that area.
Productive and a good support team
Administrative Officer IM/IT (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 9, 2013
Pros: not applicable
A busy place, Very organised, Good and strong management.
Enjoyable place with respect and good work etique
This was a very cool job, being able to take pictures, meet people.
Clerk (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 17, 2013
Pros: loved the fact that there was always something different to do each day, the responsibility of the job.
Cons: it was a temporary job which extended far beyond the original intention, it was bound to come to an end sometime.
This job was really interesting in the fact that I was creating something visible with great importance. Creating security/ID badges was a fun part of this particular job. My other duties were in the reception field, typing, answering phones, filing and photocopying. Really interesting people worked in this group. Although this job started out a a six month term employment, I was with them for almost 3 years.