Transport Canada Employee Reviews

Great learning experience. Great people to work with
Air Traffic Controller (Asst.) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2017
I really enjoyed my years at Calgary International Airport. It was exciting, and interesting, I learned so much from the people I worked with and am grateful for having had employment with Transport Canada. I love flying! I wish I had of pursued a career as an Air Traffic Controller.
Pros
Interesting, stressful, fun
great department / awesome staff
Administraitve Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 March 2017
My day consists of reviewing policy and procedure before all else, then project level / stage completion and review from the day before. daily morning meeting.... then project work begins. this is very structured and works well for the team I am in. the management staff are hands on to a point of sharing in the workload when capable. this brings a great deal of team building and it improves the workplace culture. the hardest part of my job is the timing of others. restriction on the project are a creation of stagnate movement from support departments. Project stage completion according to the timelines.
Pros
Government
Cons
politics
Productive interesting workplace
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 March 2017
A typical day at work was mail delivery in the morning and after lunch, answering the phone, filing documents. I learned the file system and took basic courses in Excel and Word,I enjoyed working with my co-workers,
The most enjoyable part of the job was the service we provided to our clients, the hardest part of the job was getting to and from work.
Flying all day
Flight Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 March 2017
Good working environment, lots of travelling in Canada, USA and Caribbean fantastic job if you don't get air sick. Thats all I am allowed to say.
Pros
Visit Canada
Cons
Long Hours
Decent place to work
Application Test Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 August 2016
Decent place to work.
Nice people, good work environment.
Though, parking fee is very high (for those who wants to drive at work).
Productive and satisfying work.
Senior Advisory and Appeals Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 May 2016
I represent the Minister of Transport before the Transportation Appeal Tribunal of Canada(TATC) in matters of civil aviation and marine medical, licensing and enforcement across Canada. I am fluent in English and French. I am an attorney who has worked in private practice litigation, professional fund-raising for McGill University and in the investment business as a Sales Representative.

The most enjoyable part of the job is discussing innovation , culture change and case issues with colleagues many of whom are lawyers.I participate in issues of Transport Canada sustainability and workplace issues such as collegiality and employee retention. I am learning every day . The hardest part of my job is dealing with old-fashioned management rules that can de-motivate employees, .A typical day at work involves review of files and preparation for hearings before the TATC as well as Change Management and workplace improvements. Co-workers are professionals and open to discussion of ideas and different approaches to achieving results and serving the public.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Hierarchical management
Government contract
Administrative Assistant (contract) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 April 2016
Very nice place to work.
Was working short time contract cleansing files .
Pros
Nice experience
Cons
Contract
Specialist CRM Customer relationship management (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 April 2016
I loved working for Transport Canada. I would recommend it to anyone, I learned a lot and made great connections. If you are going to work in computer programming the team is full of great people
Fast paced and productive workplace
Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 November 2015
Working at Transport Canada is always enjoyable and challenging. It is an environment that promotes learning and growth. Communication and respect are also important themes carried out in my current workplace. My team is a well-coordinated group of people that aren't afraid to take on challenges and get the job done in a timely manner.
Pros
poisitive work environment
Cons
no cons
Review
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 October 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers, but how you personally grow and develop. Big company, hence decent amount of red tape and politics.
A varying employment due to changing policies within the Federal Government
AS-02 Bilingual Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 September 2015
Relaying information to the different branches in our Department. Varying daily activity depending on regional and national issues. It was enjoyable working with a diverse workforce. I was given the opportunity to develop within our group with budgetary changes and to meet the needs of our client base. It was both fulfilling to be challenged in my work. It was a great place to retire from and I am now looking at re-entering the workforce to enjoy news challenges and benefit from the interaction of a work environment once again.
Pros
Challenging and varying work
Cons
The slower times were not as stimulating as I like. Fortunately, this did not happen often.
Transport Canada Port Hardy Airport
Manager, Resource Management (Former Employee) –  Port Hardy Airport, Port Hardy BC14 September 2015
I loved my job at the Airport. My job was challenging and always interesting. I enjoyed and interacted well with my superiors and fellow employees in Vancouver and Ottawa. I miss many of my fellow employees and the NAV Canada,Pacific Coastal, Budget Rent a Car and National Car Rental employees.
Pros
The best view of the airfield and the Queen Charlotte Strait ever!
Cons
Brickwall people.
Stable work
Containment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 July 2015
Working for Transport Canada is a typical federal government job. Although the engineering team was loads of fun, the work was repetitive and un-motivating. The advantage of working for the government is that the wages are attractive and the training opportunities are present.
Friendly, felt included, fun, enjoyed the Bagel mornings
Clerk 4, Federal Government (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC27 March 2015
Looked forward to work each day, starting sometimes with coffee and bagels. Office work, started with checking emails, entering and updating computer data, answering the telephone, checking mail and general office duties.

I learned to use software designed specifically for the input of overtime hours and shift premiums worked by the Air Traffic Controllers so they were paid by Head Office in Ottawa.

Management and co-workers were helpful, encouraging and fun.

The job required me driving from Langley to Richmond through the Iron Massey Tunnel or over the Alex Fraser Bridge. At times traffic congestion or accidents made it hard to be punctual.

Finding out how Air Traffic is managed, I found very educational and interesting.
Pros
Good pay and benefits, ability to move up in the workplace
Cons
The long drive there and back worsened with increase in population
Productive and Fun Work Place
Information Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  North York, ON24 February 2015
I really enjoyed working at Transport Canada. There are always different things that you could be doing from filing, pulling files, sorting the mail, creating files etc. My co-workers were very friendly and always willing to answer my questions.
Good work/life balance, but must deal with government bureaucracy.
Transportation of Dangerous Goods Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2014
Travel to various sites throughout Alberta and conduct inspections based upon the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations.
I enjoy meeting people in industry and helping them to understand the regulations.
I will travel alone half the time and with co-workers at other times.
I will often attend train derailments involving dangerous goods. I am needed at the site in order to ensure rules and regulations are being followed and to give guidance as to what is required. I also communicate with government officials in Ottawa and elsewhere as to what is happening at the scene.
Pros
Travel to new sites every week.
Cons
Government bureaucracy.
Was a great place to work
Fleet Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 August 2014
This was only a four month contract but had a great Manager and it was a lot of fun working there
No advancement, bad atmosphere
Regulatory Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 June 2014
No team work, people don't care for their job. Management only focuses on how things are perceived from the outside, not on reality and what is the best interest for citizens.
Pros
central
Cons
bad atmosphere
Great opportunity
Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 April 2014
Had the opportunity to learn first-hand about the policy cycle and its potential complexities.
Loves Transport Canada
Program Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 October 2013
Highly recommended, interested, lots to learn! Would love to work here again if I could.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Transport Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4