Transport Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and satisfying work.
Senior Advisory and Appeals Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 19, 2016
I represent the Minister of Transport before the Transportation Appeal Tribunal of Canada(TATC) in matters of civil aviation and marine medical, licensing and enforcement across Canada. I am fluent in English and French. I am an attorney who has worked in private practice litigation, professional fund-raising for McGill University and in the investment business as a Sales Representative.

The most enjoyable part of the job is discussing innovation , culture change and case issues with colleagues many of whom are lawyers.I participate in issues of Transport Canada sustainability and workplace issues such as collegiality and employee retention. I am learning every day . The hardest part of my job is dealing with old-fashioned management rules that can de-motivate employees, .A typical day at work involves review of files and preparation for hearings before the TATC as well as Change Management and workplace improvements. Co-workers are professionals and open to discussion of ideas and different approaches to achieving results and serving the public.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Hierarchical management
Friendly, felt included, fun, enjoyed the Bagel mornings
Clerk 4, Federal Government (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCMarch 27, 2015
Looked forward to work each day, starting sometimes with coffee and bagels. Office work, started with checking emails, entering and updating computer data, answering the telephone, checking mail and general office duties.

I learned to use software designed specifically for the input of overtime hours and shift premiums worked by the Air Traffic Controllers so they were paid by Head Office in Ottawa.

Management and co-workers were helpful, encouraging and fun.

The job required me driving from Langley to Richmond through the Iron Massey Tunnel or over the Alex Fraser Bridge. At times traffic congestion or accidents made it hard to be punctual.

Finding out how Air Traffic is managed, I found very educational and interesting.
Pros
Good pay and benefits, ability to move up in the workplace
Cons
The long drive there and back worsened with increase in population
A varying employment due to changing policies within the Federal Government
AS-02 Bilingual Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 24, 2015
Relaying information to the different branches in our Department. Varying daily activity depending on regional and national issues. It was enjoyable working with a diverse workforce. I was given the opportunity to develop within our group with budgetary changes and to meet the needs of our client base. It was both fulfilling to be challenged in my work. It was a great place to retire from and I am now looking at re-entering the workforce to enjoy news challenges and benefit from the interaction of a work environment once again.
Pros
Challenging and varying work
Cons
The slower times were not as stimulating as I like. Fortunately, this did not happen often.
Review
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 17, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers, but how you personally grow and develop. Big company, hence decent amount of red tape and politics.
Fast paced and productive workplace
Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 4, 2015
Working at Transport Canada is always enjoyable and challenging. It is an environment that promotes learning and growth. Communication and respect are also important themes carried out in my current workplace. My team is a well-coordinated group of people that aren't afraid to take on challenges and get the job done in a timely manner.
Pros
poisitive work environment
Cons
no cons
Pay Clerk in Personnel
Pay Clerk, Pay and Benefits (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 7, 2012
I enjoyed being a Pay Clerk, enjoyed helping employees with their salary and holiday problems. I was casual or term at the time and I was trying to become permanent. I had problems attending Interviews for job postings and was not successful at getting a permanent job. Then I was told that my term was terminated but needed to work so this is how I found an opening at Coast Guard.
Transport Canada Port Hardy Airport
Manager, Resource Management (Former Employee) –  Port Hardy Airport, Port Hardy BCSeptember 14, 2015
I loved my job at the Airport. My job was challenging and always interesting. I enjoyed and interacted well with my superiors and fellow employees in Vancouver and Ottawa. I miss many of my fellow employees and the NAV Canada,Pacific Coastal, Budget Rent a Car and National Car Rental employees.
Pros
The best view of the airfield and the Queen Charlotte Strait ever!
Cons
Brickwall people.
Stable work
Containment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 14, 2015
Working for Transport Canada is a typical federal government job. Although the engineering team was loads of fun, the work was repetitive and un-motivating. The advantage of working for the government is that the wages are attractive and the training opportunities are present.
Good work/life balance, but must deal with government bureaucracy.
Transportation of Dangerous Goods Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 4, 2014
Travel to various sites throughout Alberta and conduct inspections based upon the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations.
I enjoy meeting people in industry and helping them to understand the regulations.
I will travel alone half the time and with co-workers at other times.
I will often attend train derailments involving dangerous goods. I am needed at the site in order to ensure rules and regulations are being followed and to give guidance as to what is required. I also communicate with government officials in Ottawa and elsewhere as to what is happening at the scene.
Pros
travel to new sites every week.
Cons
government bureaucracy.
This was a very cool job, being able to take pictures, meet people.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 17, 2013
This job was really interesting in the fact that I was creating something visible with great importance. Creating security/ID badges was a fun part of this particular job. My other duties were in the reception field, typing, answering phones, filing and photocopying. Really interesting people worked in this group. Although this job started out a a six month term employment, I was with them for almost 3 years.
Pros
loved the fact that there was always something different to do each day, the responsibility of the job.
Cons
it was a temporary job which extended far beyond the original intention, it was bound to come to an end sometime.
Productive and Fun Work Place
Information Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  North York, ONFebruary 24, 2015
I really enjoyed working at Transport Canada. There are always different things that you could be doing from filing, pulling files, sorting the mail, creating files etc. My co-workers were very friendly and always willing to answer my questions.
Public Health Agency of Canada
Ministerial Correspondence Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioApril 19, 2013
I found that the management did not know how to work with the employees. They could of used more training to help with that area.
Pros
contract position
Cons
agency contract
No advancement, bad atmosphere
Regulatory Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 16, 2014
No team work, people don't care for their job. Management only focuses on how things are perceived from the outside, not on reality and what is the best interest for citizens.
Pros
central
Cons
bad atmosphere
Excellent Place to Learn
Operational Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, ONMay 16, 2013
This organization is excellent for anyone interested in networking and learning more about the Transportation Industry. I really enjoyed my first co-op, and luckily was hired back for a second one. Unfortunately, the commute was very, very long!
Pros
co-op students are treated well
Cons
commute was too far
Productive and a good support team
Administrative Officer IM/IT (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 9, 2013
A busy place, Very organised, Good and strong management.
Enjoyable place with respect and good work etique
Pros
not applicable
I enjoyed all my years of work with Transport Canada
Accounting clerk (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBAugust 17, 2013
I worked in Finance and had the opportunity to do all the accounting cycle along with Administrative duties while I was with Transport Canada, It was a wonderful and interesting period of time. I was able to attend allot of courses and acquired all the knowledge and tools needed to function with confident and accuracy.
Great people, great job!
Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 25, 2011
I was a placement student at Transport Canada, and it was an amazing place to go everyday! Everyone I met was friendly and happy to help! Great inter-office dynamic and all in all a great working environment.
Pros
friendly people, great views from windows
Great learning and development department
Policy Advisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 10, 2013
Great place to work with alot of potential to learn in your field. Opportunities to work with experienced individuals plenty.
Productive and fun work place
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  North York, ONApril 23, 2012
I have learnt a great deal working for Transport Canada. For instance, I have learn how to pay strong attention to details, work as a team and how to deal with problems independently.
Pros
flexibility and social every month
Cons
nothing
Learning Experience & productive
Facilities & Corporate Security Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancovuer, BCAugust 22, 2012
I loved working at Transport, my co-workers & boss were very nice.
The hardest part of my job was being split between 2 different jobs & people not understanding the split.

4.3