Transcontinental

Transcontinental Employee Reviews

Good for a 12 year old
Flyer Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS14 November 2016
It was a good job for me as a 12 year old but it is not a good job for anyone looking to make any serious money. It involves a lot of work for not a lot of money. Each week I was required to put the flyers together which took about 2 hours and then deliver them which took another 2 hours and I was only paid $20 a week.
Pros
Small time commitment
Cons
Salary
Great Work/Life Balance
Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS9 August 2016
I found everyone I worked with, from the Technicians to the Department Directors very friendly and helpful. I have not had one negative experience working here and would come back in a heartbeat once my contract ends.

The pay is not the greatest compared to other industries, but it is a fair trade as the culture and work/life balance are one of the best I've ever encountered.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Culture, Employees
Cons
Lower Pay
Warehose Manager
Purchasing Manger/Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Elmvale, ON11 October 2016
My typical work day would begin approx. 6:A.M. till 5-6P.M.
Monday- Friday sometimes weedends depending on press
schedules. My job consisted of making sure all the right rolls of paper were in stock for this particular job or jobs. I travelled from
our main plant and our warehouse when we had shippments going there to make sure our shippment was inspected and received in good order.I learned to manage my time very well so as not to get
overwhelmed by the situation. My co-workers were very good to work with as we were together for 12 hour shifts most of the
time.The hardest part of my job was resourcing the right paper
for the job and making our customers satisfied with our decisions
based our experience of the printing industry.The most enjoyable
part of my job was the satifaction knowing our company took the
upmost care in our customer's needs and wants for their job.
Account rep
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS28 November 2016
Sell sell sell.... Nothing what mattered...reps were back stabbers.... Management favored who ever was doing the best, no one helped eachother, other reps would steal your accounts when you were on vacation
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Commission, fellow backstabbers
fun workplace
Casual-General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 February 2016
The employee's are great. You can carry on with them. But be careful, some will also stab you in the back and talk you down behind your back. Management is lousy, just out for the bucks. No job security, if they want you gone your gone. years of working there don't matter.
Pros
good employees
Cons
no job security
Did not work at any Transcontinental location
Art Director (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 March 2016
Although I was employed by Transcontinental for over 16 years, I was located at their customers (M&M Meat Shops) National head office in their in-house marketing department .
fun work place
Casual-General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 January 2016
you can joke and carry on with co workers. but some they will also stab you in the back. there is no job security. you get to work different departments, so you get experience in a number of things.
Pros
can carry on and joke with co workers
Cons
no job security
i enjoyed my years at transcontinetal
Labourer (Former Employee) –  markham , ont7 August 2015
I worked for T.C Transcontinental for 10 years. They where a good company to work for. They where very friendly people. The head of my department and supervisor where great. If I ever had a problem it was handled efficiently and very professionally. They are very safe conscious. The other employees and temps where a pleasure to work with. I have since retired but have kept in contact with many of my friends there.
Pros
the company would provide a company bbq each year. which was always fun to attend
Great people, wide array of experience, terrible pay
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 September 2014
I would have a various array of experiences each day (quoting jobs, getting subcontractor support, managing maintenance duties/several trades). The work environment was very healthy and a profit share plan was in effect. The pay was drastically lower than anything I've ever had and management will say anything to get you in the door.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Very low pay
Productive. Friendly staff
Safety Student (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL14 March 2013
 Revised and updated Health and Safety best practices manual.
 Took part in workplace inspections.
 Attended committee meetings.
 Booked over 100 employees for Ergonomic Training Sessions.
 Reviewed Ergonomic workstation assessments with employees.
 Interacted and communicated with employees and staff.
 Assisted committee members when needed.
 Kept bulletin boards clean and up-to-date.
Pros
plenty of independent work.
Cons
unpaid
Being shift work, harder on family life and marriages. Unless you get promoted salary is in lower end for factory work. Entry level is physical.
Finishing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON5 October 2014
Hard place to get promoted unless you are friends with Managers or related to them. 12 hrs. shift work, rotating every week. Can be hostile if you get hurt, as this company tend to be not co-operative with work related injuries or reporting them to WSIB, especially the invisible injuries like back or shoulder rotator cuff type injuries, where you need images to prove them. Raises are smaller in the entry level jobs too. Non-union place so seniority doesn't matter, so long term employees easily get bumped by junior employee's as well.
Pros
Lots of over-time if you like working
Cons
Long hours, and worse if you get hurt, as managers tend to treat their employee's as clock numbers, nothing more, here.
Worst employer I have ever had
Inside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Amherst NS30 October 2012
I worked as Inside Sales in the Amherst location -- and there were many problems which management recognized and said they would address, such as the Inside Sales role not being equal among other offices. This job required minimum 2-3 people and they weren't concerned about the customers.

I had been told to walk away from customers standing in front of me and go out back to make sales calls. They are so focused on sales they are not realizing the negative affect on their customers.

They are also very famous for backdooring people and offering packages to get people out of the door. Very unworthy and untrustworthy in the Amherst Daily News location
Pros
monday - friday
Cons
unrealistic work expectations, very unprofessional management, very negative office.
fun place
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Borden, PE21 July 2015
do different types of jobs on different days co workers are awesome hard work but you enjoy the work nothing bad to really say good management and easy to work for
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Fun place to work
Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 December 2014
It was hectic during the training but than got easier after learning the equipment and operations. Co-workers were supportive and friendly, workflow depends upon the week of the day. Was on 1 week rotational shifts so allowed me to have a balance between job and life.
Location for work. No leisure
Spécialiste d'Application - Analyste fonctionnel (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 October 2014
I work in a collaborative team where we share ideas and help each others on a daily basis. The team culture is great and our manager is so open and available for the team members and supports us.
Cons
High hierarchical structure
Very nice employees
Accounts Payable Representative (Former Employee) –  Montreal, Quebec27 April 2015
Overall good company, however, not much possibility of advancement. Staff is very friendly, always willing to help out.
not a place i would suggest to work
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS30 April 2014
when i worked there every quarter meeting they talk about ho they are not making a profit when i left 1 month they let a lot of people go
Pros
Cons
bad hours, horrible boss and very little pay
Never have regular hours
head pressman (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QC4 April 2013
Old machinery. 12hrs shifts. I learn everyday something new. Wehave a good team. Seeing rheresult of your work makes it worth while.
Pros
good wages
Cons
no regular. hours and old machinery
Great Place to work
Customer Credit Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS1 June 2012
Very Busy
Balancing Policy with day to day work
Working with clients and understanding there needs
Belle entreprise familiale
Adjointe aux RH et Tech. Rémun. (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 May 2016
Environnement agréable et ouvert

De la place à l'avancement
Ouverture d'esprit aux améliorations proposées
Personnes de l'équipe magnifiques pour travailler avec
Beaucoup de brainstorming, peu importe les niveaux impliqués
J'ai beaucoup appris en RH et en Rémunération grâce à des patrons directs très ouverts à l'apprentissage et n'hésitant pas à confier de nouveaux défis et à faire confiance.

Dans l'ensemble de l'entreprise, dommage qu'il y ait des "cliques" qu'il est très difficile de percer.
Pros
Culture d'entreprise adéquate (familiale)
Cons
Parfsois trop de "ragots" qui ne sont pas fondés