Transcontinental Printing Employee Reviews in Canada

Continuous Growth
Pressman (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 1, 2016
My time with Transcontinental has been both pleasant and eye opening. Just as we must all continue to grow and evolve in printing with innovation and continuous improvement, I also seek to move forward. Sometimes that means moving on, and that's fine too.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
old fashioned
accounting
Cost Accountant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 29, 2016
great company to grow with, many levels of growth within the company. people were great and was able to choose own start hours.
Better jobs out there!
Electrician/Instrumentation Mech (Current Employee) –  Delta, BCJanuary 20, 2016
People are good but its a dying industry, no security besides a poor pension. Shifts take your life away and the pay does not reflect the dedication
Production at all costs!
Press operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 18, 2015
Worked for TC for more than 20 years. In that time I watched the company turn from employee based to production based.The constant management changes made it difficult to understand company direction.Their focus on automation is costly and undermines employee job security which affects quality and production.
Pros
Pay
Cons
productivity over people!
Good people to work with
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaJuly 8, 2015
Fun employees to work with. other wise can be a very stressful enviroment is a very fast paced place.
Does try to keep employees happy
Not fun, very loud
Jogger Temp (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMarch 25, 2015
A typical day starts with normal safety boots (personal) and ear plugs (provided). If you are with the company at the right time, you can get personalized ear plugs that do a much better job than the disposable that is offered. Your shift starts as soon as you are on the floor and you just take over from the last 12 hour shift. The presses go non-stop until something breaks. Then it is usually a scramble to rig something up to make the press work again. Cleaning of the area is required on every shift, but since the press never stops, this is an impossible task. The higher on the ladder, the less is done. This is fine if you are on the top, but the lowest on the ladder are constantly asked why things are not done. Meanwhile, the middle persons are sitting around waiting for something to break so they have something to do. Just a thought: get them to do the things that the lower persons don't have time to do because the press is running. Lots of cursing (but you would too if you caught your hand in one of the machines), no contact to outside world (like a radio or a window) unless you bring in your own radio, but since it is so noisy, good luck hearing it. No headphones because that is not safe around the machinery.. I can understand that. Also, headphones do not protect your ears from the noise, so it is good that this is disallowed. The best thing about the job was that you just did your job and went home with little interaction unless needed.. as long as the press is running the way it is supposed to.
Pros
Access to weight room, hot beverages in lunch room.
Cons
Noisy
Great company, competitive industry
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 21, 2015
There is never a dull moment at Transcontinental for a CSR. There is always customer queries to follow up on, quotes to request, billing to file, press time to calculate, dockets to open, estimates to review and timelines to negotiate.

While working at TC I learned about digital and large format printing, different substrates, how to calculate press times and resources, learned new software programs (FileMaker and Logic) and also had to opportunity to hone my negotiation skills.

Management and coworkers are incredibly supportive as everyone works together and perseveres under the pressure of this ever shrinking and competitive industry. More experienced coworkers are always willing to share their experience/knowledge of past projects to help each other resolve issues with current projects. Management provides helpful and timely guidance and advice.
Pros
lunch and learns, endless learning posibilities to keep csrs fresh
Awesome Environment/Great Place to Work for an Entry Level Postion
Junior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMarch 18, 2014
A Typical Day:
-Worked with Upper Management to create and maintain financial performance excel files
-Prepare for month end, maintain fixed assets, prepare journal entries, perform financial analysis on financial statements
-Maintain overtime file, temporary labour file, waste analysis, and gross sales
-I learned how to incorporate upper managements demands while maintaining accounting principles and procedures
-I really enjoy working with my coworkers in an open office environment
-Co-workers are friendly, easy to get along with, always willing to help
-hardest part of my job is getting everyone to cooperate to gather financial data, but I have learned the right communication tools to help me maximize date gathering
-most enjoyable part of my job is the atmosphere and environment; it is very open management based, and management is very flexible and trusts their employees
Pros
great atmosphere, friendly co-workers, great to improve financial skills and learn key elements in the accounting/finance corporate world
Cons
no opportunities to move up in the company
Good co workers made it a good day.
press helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 4, 2014
The warehouse was a very hot place to work in the summer time. Everyday started with seeing what job was running either you are taking over for someone on running job or you were setting up for a new job. Everyone on the production floor were great to work for always showing there appreciation for a job well done. Never got a good job from management though. The hardest part of the job was when press was not running and had to clean the press. The most enjoyable part of the job was when everything at the beginning of the job comes together without any problems and had a nice easy production run.
Pros
lots of ot
Cons
dirty work, long hours and shift work
Very Productive with high paced and high reward environment
SHIPPING CLERK (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 3, 2014
Working at Transcontinental Printing has taught me many things about the industry and has given me a new found respect to all the hard work that goes into a hard days work to ensure our final copy is more than satisfactory for our customers.
Pros
great atmosphere and respectable co-workers
Cons
long hours switching from day shift to night shift in same week
A good place to work
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  TorontoJanuary 15, 2014
I have worked on and off at Transcontinental Printing since the fall of 2013 and I have found that they treat me very fair. I wish I could get full-time hours there but I am working through a staffing agency.
Pros
neat and clean
Cons
nothing really
having fun with co-workers
General Labour (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 6, 2014
i'm having fun with my co-workers when we accomplish our job. The hardest part of a job is when i am waiting for another work and it kind of makes me bored. The most enjoyable part of a job is when you get your salary completed and it inspired me to work harder and to satisfy my goals. I can also work independently. What i have learned in my past job is to work hard and save money for my school.
Continuous learning with a splash of fun added
Procurement/Inventory Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  Concord, ONSeptember 20, 2013
I have very much enjoyed my time. Unfortunately, my location will begin closing very soon. I have learned so much in my time here!
has its ups and downs
General Helper (Current Employee) –  Concord, ONAugust 19, 2013
Typically i pack printed flyers unto skids to be sent out to customers.
A good place to work with great co-workers and sometimes many new faces
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSJuly 26, 2013
A typical day at work stars early I'm up at 4;45 am I start work at 6;00 am. I continue running the machine I ran the day before or meet with the Lead on the floor and see what is next on the list jobs for the day. I set up jobs on different machines so people can run then setup my own job to run. Many times through the day I am asked to help other people a job setup or maintenance, or use the forklift to get something in the warehouse. The hardest part of the job is working with workers from the temp agency's they may only be there for a day and have no idea what is expected of them or how to do the job at hand, at the same time this can be the most rewarding because you meet knew people teach them something new while maybe learning a little something new yourself.
Pros
i have great hours good co-workers
Cons
the pay isn't high enough, no room for advancment
Decent place to work, but not trustworthy.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  WinnipegJune 10, 2013
It was a fairly decent company to work for that offered a lot of training, Unfortunately they bought off and shut down several successful winnipeg printing companies to accomodate their plants in other big cities with our large clients. There's one Transcon left in Winnipeg, I would NOT work for them again.
Pros
they offered various training programs
Cons
you work very hard to make the company a success and they shut you down anyway.
20 years working, upgraded education contually
Journeyman Pressman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 20, 2013
I spent 20 years working for this company, from my mid-twenties to just last March, was educated continuous, enjoyed the team atmosphere but was time for a change
Pros
benefits, salary, good people
Cons
didn't promote from within
good place to work
rollman (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 6, 2013
good place to work and opertunity to move up. its a 12 hour job, lots of overtime. management was really good to myself.
Great Company to work for
Graphic Design (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 5, 2013
Transcontinental is a good company

Good Management
Good Pay
Easy work, but not much room for advancing... if you do want to advance your skills, good temporary place, but if you want to move forward... don't stay idle here :)
Pros
good pay, enjoyable work
Cons
some employees don't work
Was a great place to work.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONJanuary 31, 2013
Started at 8am finished at 8pm
Learned how to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
Co-workers were great.
Very long days.
Having 4 days off a week was great.

2.7