Transcontinental Printing Employee Reviews

Great Company
Financial Controller II (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2017
Canada's largest printing company

Founded in 1976, TC Transcontinental Printing has grown steadily over the years to become the largest printer in Canada and one of the largest in North America.
fast pace work environment
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Islington, ON28 August 2017
Be prepared to be on your feet a lot . It is a very active workplace that requires a lot of focus and stamina, being a fast pace job. perfect for people who prefer to work with machinery instead of direct costumers.
Pros
work is always available
Cons
Friendly people. Family like setting.
Finishing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON11 July 2017
Piling down magazines and fliers.
Learned how to work as part of a team or by myself
Management is OK
Hardest part of the job was dealing with the shift turnarounds and working in the sweltering heat all summer long.
Most enjoyable part of the job was definitely my co workers.
Pros
week off every month, friendly people.
Cons
No work, demotion when they lose customers.
Absolutely loved my career with Transcontinental
Prepress Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 June 2017
The culture from the top down was excellent. My career path was strong and I was entrusted to to make decisions for the future of the departments I was responsible for. I loved managing people and providing an environment where each employee could had input on how each task could be better completed. Excellent culture to grow in.
Pros
The cream was free to rise to the top
Cons
Its an ok Company to work for.
Press Operator, Service Technician,Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON19 June 2017
its an ok work environment. ok teamwork.
very long shifts (12hrs)
standing on your feet most of the day.
management does not understand the working conditions sometimes.
Productie and fun place to work
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Elmvale, ON27 May 2017
Typical day at work: long hours. Different types of clients. Management was very good to work for .
Workplace culture made up of different ideas different procedures. Hardest park of the job
Was trying to please everybody with the expectations that they had about their printing ideas. The most enjoyable part of the day was going home knowing that I gave my job 100% effort..
Pros
Got to travel visit different paper mills each are unique in their own way
Cons
Management is biased when it comes to giving overtime.
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON29 April 2017
Not a typical place to work when you're doing manual labor. Work is very heavy and you do a lot of lifting.They don't have enough lifting devices.....
Pros
Free lunch once a month
Cons
No overtime
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Annacis Island, BC11 February 2017
Great workplace with good life balance
Long days but also many days off in the week.
Weekend work, every second week, but every second week a long weekend
Productive factory work
Lead Pressman (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 July 2016
Worked there for many years. The newspapers and printing were all I did. However the newspaper and printing are a dying trade.
Pros
Great shift
Cons
poor mamagement
Continuous Growth
Pressman (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 July 2016
My time with Transcontinental has been both pleasant and eye opening. Just as we must all continue to grow and evolve in printing with innovation and continuous improvement, I also seek to move forward. Sometimes that means moving on, and that's fine too.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
old fashioned

Want to know more about Transcontinental Printing?

Ask a question
accounting
Cost Accountant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 February 2016
great company to grow with, many levels of growth within the company. people were great and was able to choose own start hours.
Better jobs out there!
Electrician/Instrumentation Mech (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC20 January 2016
People are good but its a dying industry, no security besides a poor pension. Shifts take your life away and the pay does not reflect the dedication
Production at all costs!
Press operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 September 2015
Worked for TC for more than 20 years. In that time I watched the company turn from employee based to production based.The constant management changes made it difficult to understand company direction.Their focus on automation is costly and undermines employee job security which affects quality and production.
Pros
Pay
Cons
productivity over people!
Good people to work with
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta8 July 2015
Fun employees to work with. other wise can be a very stressful enviroment is a very fast paced place.
Does try to keep employees happy
Not fun, very loud
Jogger Temp (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS25 March 2015
A typical day starts with normal safety boots (personal) and ear plugs (provided). If you are with the company at the right time, you can get personalized ear plugs that do a much better job than the disposable that is offered. Your shift starts as soon as you are on the floor and you just take over from the last 12 hour shift. The presses go non-stop until something breaks. Then it is usually a scramble to rig something up to make the press work again. Cleaning of the area is required on every shift, but since the press never stops, this is an impossible task. The higher on the ladder, the less is done. This is fine if you are on the top, but the lowest on the ladder are constantly asked why things are not done. Meanwhile, the middle persons are sitting around waiting for something to break so they have something to do. Just a thought: get them to do the things that the lower persons don't have time to do because the press is running. Lots of cursing (but you would too if you caught your hand in one of the machines), no contact to outside world (like a radio or a window) unless you bring in your own radio, but since it is so noisy, good luck hearing it. No headphones because that is not safe around the machinery.. I can understand that. Also, headphones do not protect your ears from the noise, so it is good that this is disallowed. The best thing about the job was that you just did your job and went home with little interaction unless needed.. as long as the press is running the way it is supposed to.
Pros
Access to weight room, hot beverages in lunch room.
Cons
Noisy
Great company, competitive industry
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON21 February 2015
There is never a dull moment at Transcontinental for a CSR. There is always customer queries to follow up on, quotes to request, billing to file, press time to calculate, dockets to open, estimates to review and timelines to negotiate.

While working at TC I learned about digital and large format printing, different substrates, how to calculate press times and resources, learned new software programs (FileMaker and Logic) and also had to opportunity to hone my negotiation skills.

Management and coworkers are incredibly supportive as everyone works together and perseveres under the pressure of this ever shrinking and competitive industry. More experienced coworkers are always willing to share their experience/knowledge of past projects to help each other resolve issues with current projects. Management provides helpful and timely guidance and advice.
Pros
Lunch and Learns, endless learning posibilities to keep CSRs fresh
Awesome Environment/Great Place to Work for an Entry Level Postion
Junior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 March 2014
A Typical Day:
-Worked with Upper Management to create and maintain financial performance excel files
-Prepare for month end, maintain fixed assets, prepare journal entries, perform financial analysis on financial statements
-Maintain overtime file, temporary labour file, waste analysis, and gross sales
-I learned how to incorporate upper managements demands while maintaining accounting principles and procedures
-I really enjoy working with my coworkers in an open office environment
-Co-workers are friendly, easy to get along with, always willing to help
-hardest part of my job is getting everyone to cooperate to gather financial data, but I have learned the right communication tools to help me maximize date gathering
-most enjoyable part of my job is the atmosphere and environment; it is very open management based, and management is very flexible and trusts their employees
Pros
Great atmosphere, friendly co-workers, great to improve financial skills and learn key elements in the accounting/finance corporate world
Cons
No opportunities to move up in the company
Good co workers made it a good day.
press helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 March 2014
The warehouse was a very hot place to work in the summer time. Everyday started with seeing what job was running either you are taking over for someone on running job or you were setting up for a new job. Everyone on the production floor were great to work for always showing there appreciation for a job well done. Never got a good job from management though. The hardest part of the job was when press was not running and had to clean the press. The most enjoyable part of the job was when everything at the beginning of the job comes together without any problems and had a nice easy production run.
Pros
lots of OT
Cons
dirty work, long hours and shift work
Very Productive with high paced and high reward environment
SHIPPING CLERK (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 March 2014
Working at Transcontinental Printing has taught me many things about the industry and has given me a new found respect to all the hard work that goes into a hard days work to ensure our final copy is more than satisfactory for our customers.
Pros
Great Atmosphere and respectable co-workers
Cons
Long hours switching from day shift to night shift in same week
A good place to work
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Toronto15 January 2014
I have worked on and off at Transcontinental Printing since the fall of 2013 and I have found that they treat me very fair. I wish I could get full-time hours there but I am working through a staffing agency.
Pros
Neat and clean
Cons
Nothing really