Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews

Friendly management, flexible scheduling, happy environment
Seasonal Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON20 March 2016
I loved working at Toys R Us because of the amazing environment in the store. I always looked forward to going to work, and I was sad when my seasonal position was over.
Great place to work at; I learned a lot
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON1 October 2015
Started work at 7am and had to make sure that i got to my station in time. Throughout the day I had various jobs to do that required lifting and making sure that each individual item was labelled properly and placed in the area to be shipped to the correct stores.

I learned the importance of being thorough because placing an item in the wrong place can mean that it is getting shipped to the wrong store that could potentially be on the other side of town. Also I was instructed to ensure that the shipping labels matched the items that were being ship to the various stores.

The management was ran smoothly. Although the managers were always busy due to the environment they were in, there were never and fight or mishaps. However, when the managers were in need they were always willing to assist you.

The greatest part of the job were the co-workers because, although the work was tiring and and sometimes stressful, the environment and the people around you help the days to go by easier.
Pros
paid breaks
Fun time at toy's r us
Customer Service / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 January 2016
what a great place to work i have never worked with so many amazing people in my life met lots of friends and the management was great always busy around the holidays keeps you on your toes
Fun and challenging
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 April 2016
It was a great experience, learning new stuff daily... Customer service was always first.
Great company....................................
toys r us summary
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2016
although this was a seasonal contract I Loved this employment.
the management was actually very well and customers were fun as were the employees.
Friendly. fast paced environment with many opportunities
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 March 2016
Fast paced, friendly, exciting work environment with helpful coworkers. Many opportunities to assist with customer questions and concerns and overcome challenges.
Good overall
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Merivale, ON8 February 2016
Working nights was not as hard as i thought it would be, i was mostly working in the lego section and that was favorite spot to work. the hours were good and the pay was good to, coworkers were friendly and the mangers were nice.
Pros
15% discount
Bad. Really bad. Don't work here.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 November 2015
You'd get to work, sign in, if it's busy you go to a till right away, if not you reshop or piece. Or clean. That's all fine and dandy, however, you WILL get yelled at if you don't do something right because you weren't trained to the extent you needed to me. Managment needs to get their stuff together and train their employees better. My co-workers were normally great, however if you're new, and don't know how to do something, don't bother asking. Hardest part of the job? knowing that you weren't trained properly and needed help, but being too scared to say so when the managers will yell at you.
Good if your in school
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL9 February 2016
Not easy to move up the ladder,pay sucks and hours are bad unless your in school. The people are ok to work with. you get a 15% disscount
Pros
people are good to work with
Cons
Managemnt ask a lot and they don't talk to each other very much
Fun place productive and carreer development
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 June 2014
It has been one of the best company I worked with. Training re provided in all aspect of store management level personality and working habits to customer care and services.

Treating people with respect and admiring skills and talents with little small rewards which is very meaningful, one's value in the team. I was well compensated as a new be in the company. This is the reason why I wanted to work with Toys R US again if given a chance.

There's fun in both work and personnel interactive coaching and mentoring. Leadership skill are well develop with different in house programs.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
long hours but it pays
Amazing Team
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC3 February 2016
was a amazing experience working with the toys r us team I have learned so much in my customer service , always learning something new with the cashier position meeting new people,

only seasonal yes but i would definitely go back each season to help the team out.

great tons of fun
Pros
star light foundation for children
very welcoming environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON28 July 2014
ToysRUs treats all employees and customers like family. They constantly praise their employees and have very good disciplinary rules which enforces good performance.
Good
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON20 March 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping and talking to the customer, and also learning everything about the store.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton11 August 2015
I was hired here on a seasonal contract. I absolutely loved working here, was sad to go. Typical day was just on the till. We made competitions with other coworkers on how many sales, BPPs and donations to the Stollery or Autism Works we could get. Sometimes you get sent to the floor which is nice to be walking a bit. Management were awesome and very accommodating. My co workers were amazing too. I seriously loved that job.

The hardest part was probably dealing with customers. It was over the christmas holiday so no one wanted to buy protection plans (BPPs) which they did push you to get.

The most enjoyable part was everything else; 3 breaks a day, water, discount, sometimes lunch is bought, I got a pay rise a week after working there. Everything is great.
Pros
3 breaks, sometimes free lunch, discount, management
Cons
cranky holiday customers
great place to develop yourself in a professional environment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  London, ON10 March 2014
I have Learned so much from working at Toys R Us, one of the main ideals that has been growing to be more evident, is that I am born to be a leader. The Only thing is that there has not been a promotion for me in 4+ years. The people that become advanced, are advanced because of age, not longevity or work ethic. The hours worked around Christmas or "season" is brutal and the training is very minimal. The first season of working there, it is fun and exciting and competitive. After the thrill wears of it becomes exhausting and frustrating. The people hired are one of the main reason people stay around to work there so long, because we become family. There are the student aged associates, and the middle aged elders that all feel the same way and a real sense of camaraderie is developed in order to get through the daily struggles and hiccups that I'm sure plague any retail environment.
Pros
not micromanaged, the coworkers
Cons
long hours, lack of training, the amount of mandatory irrelevant things (Bpps and e-learning)
temporary job
Toys R Us Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC29 February 2016
I was only seasonal at toys r us. However the time i was there i enjoyed working there. the people were nice and I enjoyed going to work. If one opens near me i will try to work there.
Fun Workplace
associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON7 January 2016
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of your job
the most enjoyable part of the job
the hours of the job
what you didnt learn
Productive yet entertaining
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 February 2016
A normal day is : Arrive. meeting, go to work ( grab a cart, see what needs to be refilled and go find the correct items, if none are present, put different ones out and replace price tags)
Pros
2 half hour breaks, friendly people
Fun workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 January 2016
My managers would throw trash in between the tills from the night before and we had to clean it even if we didn't make the mess. My coworkers were very friendly and would see if I needed anything and would show me how to correct problems.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Managment throwing trash
productive and fun workplace
cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 February 2016
I enjoyed working at ToysRus, nice people to work with and a very good work experience for myself and my other co-workers
Pros
enjoyed the working environment
Cons
not enough shifts