Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews in Canada

Fast-paced workplace during holidays
Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 26, 2015
Sometimes a fun workplace but also can be stressful. Job title almost does not matter. Whether you are titled sales associate, your job responsibilities would include; cashier, inventory, customer service etc. Which can be tiring but also a benefit to me since I got experience in those fields.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
long hours during holidays
Conflicting managment very inconsistant
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BCJuly 21, 2015
Overall the company was pretty good to work for but there are some poor Managers in key positions and a lot of the stress falls to lesser paid middle management and supervisors. Poor value given to associates and inconsistent training for newer associates. Too much penny pinching and profit margin focus. No where near enough associates to run most full size stores affectively. When corporate representatives would visit budgets would be blown to impress the visitor but in no way would they ever see the true day to day operations of the company.
Pros
Happy kids and interaction with people
Cons
Poorly operated and inconsistant
N/A
Seasonal Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 17, 2015
good company, bad management very unorganized coworkers some are friendly others were rude. hardest part was dealing with customers that were impatient or made up stories
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/A
A part-time place to get by
Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 15, 2015
A heavy weight is placed on selling measurables without compensation.
Management tends to not communicate as well as they possibly could, internally and with employees.
Thrown to the wolves when it comes to training but employees are helpful and understanding.
Potential to build good communication skills with the need to help so many customers with varying needs and understanding.
Cons
No strict end time when closing the store
fast paced environment in an collabarative environment
Director, Logistics (Former Employee) –  Concord, OntarioJuly 14, 2015
This company employs highly motivated employees. It is a fast paced organization that responds quickly to trend.Management empowers their employees to think outside the box and the teams interact well with each other.
fun place
night crew (Former Employee) –  markhamJuly 10, 2015
would restock learning section or the section assigned to me then sweep the store
learned how to use big blue its a ladder
the hardest part was learning how to throw more than one thing at a time
Toys R us workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 10, 2015
The workplace was very fun and enjoyable with all the co workers and all these new toys. I have learnt to work under pressure at this job because of demand of business around christmas season. The management is very supportive and understaing with alll kind of situtaions.
Every day is a new experience
Part time sales associate / cashier (Former Employee) –  Cederbrae Mall, Toronto OntarioJune 27, 2015
a typical day at Toys'R'Us has always been unique because every day you are doing something different. Your duty can range from working at a till, to being a floor associate, or merchandising, or loading trucks for shipment. I've learned how to handle busy environments, and a lot of customers. It was really hard to work double shifts when an employee is not available and the schedule for hours were not that great for me depending on the season. I enjoyed working with my employees and the staff was full of very unique and outgoing individuals.
Pros
really close, free food, work events, and discounts
Cons
long shifts, always tiring
productive tiering smilling place.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  St.Laurent Ottawa. On.June 10, 2015
it is a demanding job very relaxed with and underlining strain. customers are understanding and sometimes expect too much from you. Managers are there when you call them but never visible otherwise. Staff seem happy but show disinterest in there job at times. overall they are very close knit and come together in time of need. The most enjoyable part of my job is the stock room and replenishing the store the hardest part is the constant price checking.
Pros
free junk food
Cons
not enough trainning
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJune 8, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of working the till, stocking shelves, making everything look neat.
I learned how to operate the till and how to be with costumers.
The management was great and the co-workers were splendid.
The hardest part of this job was trying to reach the shelves and the most enjoyable part was interacting with costumers.
Pros
Fun environment, close to walk to
Cons
Not enough hours
Toys R us
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJune 4, 2015
I would be either serving countless customers or organizing shelves, it was a very fast paced job. I learned a whole new register system and that was pretty exciting because it was very simple to work with. Management were very kind and strict at the same time they were okay with colored hair that i had at the time but not okay with piercings yet they were very understanding to those who had them also very good with customers and the employees very helpful staff. The co-workers were very awesome they included everyone in everything even random conversations we had at lunch, yet some were unsettled by the new register mechanics but asked for help when they needed and did not hesitate. The hardest part of the job would probably be putting the toys away in correct spot because there were so many of them. The most enjoyable part was seeing all the smiling faces on both kid and adult it truly is a magical store.
Pros
Fun People
Cons
Mean parents
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vaudreul, QuebecJune 1, 2015
The work days always felt short because it was a fun and interesting work environment. The managers would always walk around with large smiles on their face and were always ready to help any employee that was having a difficult time. I became friends with quite few of my co-workers because everyone was really nice and helpful.
Great place for short term experience
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 21, 2015
Great to work there, some days harder then others. Overall great experience for a new person to working in a warehouse. Co workers were great, meeting new people.
Amazing place to work
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONMay 21, 2015
Had many opportunities and had amazing staff. Friendly environment and loved going into work every morning. Advancement opportunities and customer service was great. I learned a lot about products and other services tanning has to offer
Quick to judge
Sales and operations manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONMay 21, 2015
I went through a separation and was looked at as a weak manager. My leaders had no sympathy for me and could not understand that I lost the one I loved
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
understanding
My Favourite Job
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONMay 19, 2015
I loved working for Toys R Us Express! I was heart broken when the main store decided to close our little store! I worked with three other people, that were the best people I have ever had the pleasure of working with! I had the most amazing boss, who I still maintain a friendship with after the store closed.
I learned a lot and handled a lot of situations on my own or with the help of my teammates!
the worst
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 13, 2015
i hated working ehre so much, i was only seasonal but i kept in touch with other who worked there longer than i did and we all said the same thing, manaement was the worst, they were very rude ad inconsiderate to us and very unfriendly. getting very angry over little mistakes and seemed unwilling to help us when we needed it. i never got to know my co workers very well but they all seemed nice.`
Pros
nothing
Good starter job
CLERK AND CASHIER (Current Employee) –  9908 170 StreetMay 11, 2015
Good to build up experience with customer service.
Good staff.
Easy and outgoing managers
Very flexible schedules.
Decent pay
Okay as a seasonal job but not very fun otherwise.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 7, 2015
A typical day at work was pretty much walking around, helping customers, organizing and straightening items on the shelves and making sure all toys were in the right place. I learned how to interact with customers and I also learned a few organizational skills. Management was okay, but they didn't seem to want to help their workers much. My co-workers were pretty cool, a lot of them felt the same way about their job as I did so we got along alright. The hardest part of the job for sure was dealing with customers constantly. This wouldn't have been a big deal, but it was Christmas time so there were always a ton of people asking questions. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to co-workers and also being around toys and games constantly.
It was great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  allMay 6, 2015
i loved working there however I wish not selling enough charity and protection plans didnt affect my hours but that's okay i still enjoyed it