Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews

Great place to learn knowledge of parenting in Canada
Baby Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 July 2016
It is a busy environment but full of life. Lots to do, wonderful if you like to keep busy. Lots to learn about.
Pros
Flexible Scheduling
Cons
High Turn Over Rate
Enjoyed my time with them
Merchandiser/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2016
Assisted in merchandising and enjoyed being part of a team. The position was meaningful and challenging while allowing me to engage with customers and coworkers.
Nice, fun place with very consistent work
500's (Former Employee) –  690 Evans Avenue, Etobicoke, ON M9C 1A129 June 2016
I primarily worked in the packing area, moving boxes from trucks and into storage, organizing everything neatly. I really enjoyed my time there, but I unfortunately had to leave due to personal family things around the holidays.
Pros
Next to the mall so food was easy to get, simple and consistent work
Cons
the phones to call the warehouse staff can be a little tough to hear, the store is a mess at the end of the night because of the kids, no real place for bikes
productive work place
seasonal employee (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC28 June 2016
Working at Toys "R" US gave me a new outlook on thw working life. It made me realize how ignorant and rude people can be when they don't get their way but how happy they are when it all goes well. Working there was a real eye opener, I worked over the Chirstmas seaon and never actually knew what people eant when they talked about beening busy until I was a part of it,.
awesome but strict boss
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2016
words can't express how awesome my manager was. It was a seasonal position. At first, she seems strict because she pushes sales sales sales. But training is provided and you soon realise the BPP is a great plan. It's not mandatory that you get the plan but I did. When my son broke his wheel off of his car and I called in and it was replaced. so it's like recycled money.

the work environment is very friendly ad fun. great coworkers but mainly young.
Pros
educational and other benefits, opporunity to grow, training for advancement
Cons
long hours standing
Hectic during holidays.
Cashier/Merchandise Stocker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2016
Management is firm, especially during the holidays. The only hard part about the job is dealing with heavy work loads and long cashier line ups. This is decent place to work.
Great Place to work!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 June 2016
Awesome, Fun and not a corporate environment store. Everyone is willing to help and work as a team. They even have health benefits for everyone!
Horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 May 2016
Bogus. Managers are horrendous to customers and employees. They will find excuses to fire you no matter how well youre doing. Personally there was a conspiracy about calling in and complimenting myself from 4 different phone numbers.
Pros
15 percent discount
Cons
Long hours, over worked, no lunch on certain days, managers treat you like garbage, there isnt a single manager that will treat you as a human instead of a working machine
Typical Day at Toys R us
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON29 May 2016
One of my first jobs working and i can honestly say that I am glad that I worked at this job. I learnt many skills such as punctuality, responsibility, and general work skills. Throughout this job I met many co-workers that were always friendly, and lent a helping hand all around. Management was always willing to help out no matter what the case, with their employees, teach them what they need to know and safety. The hardest part of this job were the non-stop long chaotic Christmas hours. The most enjoyable part was the sense of accomplishment that followed after a long day.
Pros
Hour Lunches, Understanding managers
Cons
lots of seasonal employment
Enjoyable work environment, nice co-workers.
500/Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 May 2016
Depending on if the shift was in the morning or evening would a typical day at Toys R Us would involve prepping the store for open, making sure it is ready for customers. Once doors are opened focus shifts to assisting customers to the best of your ability and essentially stays that way until near close. Then cleaning up and organizing the store becomes another focus. The co-workers were for the most part similar in age, 15-20 years of age. All quite nice and the managers were also good.
Pros
Agreeable system for shift changes.
Cons
Long hours, occasionally monotonous work.
Productive workplace
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 May 2016
This job is great if you'd like to learn how to perform tasks in a extremely busy environment. It's helped me improve my customer service, organizational and most importantly time management skills a lot. I've enjoyed being around kids very much as well as some of my co-workers.
it was a good time
Cashier/Floor worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON16 May 2016
i was only employed for seasonal, but while i worked there.. it was a fun experience and i made alot of friends there. i was laid off when the christmas season was over
Fun Place to work, leadership skills.
World Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 May 2016
If we talk about the store, its for kids so most families with kids comes in, have good conversation about their needs. organize the store. make sure other employees following their schedule. Help customers and co-employees.
Pros
friendly enviornment
Upbeat
Shipping/Receiving, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON1 May 2016
Toys R' Us was a fun, and upbeat place to work. It was an enjoyable place to work. Again working in a fast paced environment was good! Working at McDonald's really helped. Although it was upsetting that I wasn't allowed to be kept on due to budget restrictions was really upsetting.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Not busy enough
Fun workplace
Merchandiser / Sales - Midnight shift (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 April 2016
Stocking and merchandising store shelves and displays. Learned to organize and strip product, and inventory..

Management was adequate, as well as co-workers, depending on the work season.

The hardest part was working straight midnights for long period or time.
Pros
working with family
Low salary
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC15 April 2016
I worked at Toys R Us for 2 years. While the co-workers were amazing the management team and way the organization is run is dreadful.

I had co-workers that have worked 3 years at Toys R Us and remain at minimum wage all because they aren't selling the Toys R Us protection plan at a high enough percent. All management cares about is selling protection plans and base hours and raises among them. I was able to get a raise in my first year because I sold enough plans but the raise was a mere 10 cents.

In my experience employees start to care less and less about the job once the realize how dead-end it is, and the store suffers in employee engagement by a lot. There is a constant need to hire people because of high turnover.
Pros
Good Co-workers, works around your schedual
Cons
Hours and raises based on selling protection plans
It was a good overall experiance.
Cashier/ Floor assosiate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 April 2016
I had fun. I got the hang of the job on the first day. I passed the set goals that my employer had set for all of the employers almost every day. I learned how to work a cash register, how to deal with upset customers and how to properly peace the shelves. When I worked at Toys R Us it was on a seasonal contract and it was around Christmas time, so the lines were very long, I learned how to deal with the customers when they were very irritated and stressed out. I liked all of my co-workers and we all got along very well. The hardest part of the job was to deal with the customers when they would yell and be rude towards me, but I handled it well. The most enjoyable part of the job was that me and my co-workers all got along and we all worked as a team to get through the day.
Pros
Free breaks, Able to switch from cash to floor assosiate
Cons
Seasonal contract
fun well organized.
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 April 2016
Managed well with good people, younger employees.
Lots of rude people but that comes with Christmas shopping stress.
Every employee was very welcoming and friendly.
Great place to start your career
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON6 April 2016
Fun place to start your career. Energetic work environment. Lots of opportunity to learn. Great training programs.Incentives for all employees.
Enjoyable place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 April 2016
Working at toys r us was good i enjoyed it a typical day at work was working with customers, i learned alot of people skills working here. The hardest part was when we didnt have something a customer wanted . The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the look on a customers face when you had what they wanted.