Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews in Canada

Terrible place.
Sales Associate, Stocking shelves (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKOctober 4, 2015
Toys 'R' Us is an okay job if you're just starting out. The Managers do not communicate and they will get mad at you if you do a task another manager has asked you to do. Employees harass and make fun of other employees and management even does it sometimes. Terrible place.
Cons
Managers do not communicate, employees get away with harassment
Great place to work at; I learned a lot
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONOctober 1, 2015
Started work at 7am and had to make sure that i got to my station in time. Throughout the day I had various jobs to do that required lifting and making sure that each individual item was labelled properly and placed in the area to be shipped to the correct stores.

I learned the importance of being thorough because placing an item in the wrong place can mean that it is getting shipped to the wrong store that could potentially be on the other side of town. Also I was instructed to ensure that the shipping labels matched the items that were being ship to the various stores.

The management was ran smoothly. Although the managers were always busy due to the environment they were in, there were never and fight or mishaps. However, when the managers were in need they were always willing to assist you.

The greatest part of the job were the co-workers because, although the work was tiring and and sometimes stressful, the environment and the people around you help the days to go by easier.
Pros
paid breaks
Fun place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  calgary abSeptember 30, 2015
Overall great place to work, loved everything about it. such a fun work environment. Staff was great and easy to get along with.
Great Co-op Experience
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONSeptember 13, 2015
There was never a dull moment at this Toys R Us location. The staff was focused, friendly, and made learning the job easy. I restocked shelves, and aided customers often. Great customers, and staff. Would love to be more than just a co-op student.
Productive fun workplace
Warehouse Maintenance/Sales floor and cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCSeptember 11, 2015
Supportive community of hard working dedicated co workers
fun work place with supportive management
Easy to focus on the task at hand and leave work feeling accomplished
Pros
Social and Accepting
Cons
Hard to take breaks
I wouldn't suggest it unless you really need a job
Floor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 10, 2015
It was a regular part time job with less than 20 minutes of training unless you work cash, most managers were friendly although some were unreasonable
Cons
Low flexibility
Fun place to work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 7, 2015
If you can manage with the low pay it can be a great place to work and make friends. The staff is easy to get along with and experience in their respective fields
Productive and fun place to work
Sales person (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONSeptember 4, 2015
A typical day at work is communicating with customers in a fast pasted environment. Also communicating with a great team. The hardest part is the heavy lifting
Productive, and team orientated
A/P Merchandise Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Concord OntarioAugust 31, 2015
The management was mostly team orientated, and all departments worked well together. The benefits and pay were fair, and they always hired from within. Hardest part of all was "season" but the company seemed appreciative off all efforts.
Pros
Got to see up and coming new products
Cons
Long hours in winter months
I loved the customer service aspect of working there
seasonal cashier/christmas (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONAugust 21, 2015
My typical day at Toys R Us, was all about the people, I was front line customer service, I learned how to multitask, deal with customer issues/concerns. I learned how to manage my time efficiently, my co workers were an amazing team, I feel I brought a lot to that team. The hardest part of my job was the fact it was seasonal, and it had to come to an end. The most enjoyable part of my job, was working with the public and my co workers.
Pros
Enjoyable environment
Cons
n/a
Fun work place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONAugust 17, 2015
I enjoyed working here, it was fun, stress free and a nice relaxing job.
You get to stay up to date on all the new toys and fads, making you the best parent, aunt/uncle in the world.
Every day at work is a new day which brings with it new and exciting challenges.
Pros
Discount on toys if you have children, nieces/nephews
Cons
The majority of the staff is quite lazy, so if you're a hard worker, expect to feel out of place.
*please see resume
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONAugust 17, 2015
My responsibilities at this work place were to open and close the store occasionally; this shows my responsibility and trust I created in a short time with my employers. In addition, part of my job was also to help new or soon to be new mothers and fathers through stressful choices and help these individuals to find products that would property suit their life style. In this job I was also faced with having to deal with customer service which allowed me to work with many different individuals who were upset or had an issue with a product or person in the store, this job taught me how to diffuse different types of situations and find solutions that made the customer satisfied as well as the store
Cashier (Former Employee) –  EdmontonAugust 11, 2015
I was hired here on a seasonal contract. I absolutely loved working here, was sad to go. Typical day was just on the till. We made competitions with other coworkers on how many sales, BPPs and donations to the Stollery or Autism Works we could get. Sometimes you get sent to the floor which is nice to be walking a bit. Management were awesome and very accommodating. My co workers were amazing too. I seriously loved that job.

The hardest part was probably dealing with customers. It was over the christmas holiday so no one wanted to buy protection plans (BPPs) which they did push you to get.

The most enjoyable part was everything else; 3 breaks a day, water, discount, sometimes lunch is bought, I got a pay rise a week after working there. Everything is great.
Pros
3 breaks, sometimes free lunch, discount, management
Cons
cranky holiday customers
Fun environment but management response to my concerns were not that great.
Sales Associate, Temp-Cashier and Merchandiser. (Former Employee) –  300 Steeles Ave W Thornhill, ONJuly 29, 2015
- Come into work, make sure cash register lines are not excessively long, assist co-workers if they are.

- Merchandise new shipments of products in all sections of the store, as well as keeping the store clean

- Assist customers to the best of my ability

- Co-workers were great and responsive to the store's needs

- Some issues with management, but a few were extremely nice and helpful

- Hardest part: Cleaning the entire store on my own because of lack of employee presence during the week-shifts

- Most Enjoyable Part: Satisfaction of doing a good job and having the excellent work done recognized by the Management on a daily basis.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, benefits, fun and fast paced environment
Cons
Not enough hours
a typical day in the life of Toysrus
Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONJuly 28, 2015
A typical day at work involved either opening or closing the store. When opening you would count all the cashes, walk the floor and make a list for the team each day. Morning meetings to get the team all on the same page for the work day ahead. We resolved customer issues when needed, lots of customer service and shipping and receiving.

I learnt a lot at this job. Cash experience, accounting, resolving customer issues efficiently, working as a team. being a team player, merchandising, shipping and receiving, scheduling, payroll and much more.

The management team and staff were great to work with. The hardest part was training everyone to merchandise the same way as not everyone sees everything the same. But on the flip side the most enjoyable part was teaching new and old workers how to merchandise and working along side members of the staff.
Pros
different everyday
Cons
job work/family balance
Fast-paced workplace during holidays
Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 26, 2015
Sometimes a fun workplace but also can be stressful. Job title almost does not matter. Whether you are titled sales associate, your job responsibilities would include; cashier, inventory, customer service etc. Which can be tiring but also a benefit to me since I got experience in those fields.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
long hours during holidays
Conflicting managment very inconsistant
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BCJuly 21, 2015
Overall the company was pretty good to work for but there are some poor Managers in key positions and a lot of the stress falls to lesser paid middle management and supervisors. Poor value given to associates and inconsistent training for newer associates. Too much penny pinching and profit margin focus. No where near enough associates to run most full size stores affectively. When corporate representatives would visit budgets would be blown to impress the visitor but in no way would they ever see the true day to day operations of the company.
Pros
Happy kids and interaction with people
Cons
Poorly operated and inconsistant
N/A
Seasonal Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 17, 2015
good company, bad management very unorganized coworkers some are friendly others were rude. hardest part was dealing with customers that were impatient or made up stories
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/A
A part-time place to get by
Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 15, 2015
A heavy weight is placed on selling measurables without compensation.
Management tends to not communicate as well as they possibly could, internally and with employees.
Thrown to the wolves when it comes to training but employees are helpful and understanding.
Potential to build good communication skills with the need to help so many customers with varying needs and understanding.
Cons
No strict end time when closing the store
fast paced environment in an collabarative environment
Director, Logistics (Former Employee) –  Concord, OntarioJuly 14, 2015
This company employs highly motivated employees. It is a fast paced organization that responds quickly to trend.Management empowers their employees to think outside the box and the teams interact well with each other.