Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
horrible
500's/Warehouse (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONOctober 27, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
worst place to work, managers take advantage of you all the time and they usually only hire younger kids 14-15 because they are unaware of their workers rights. Never stepping foot in another toys r us again
Toys R Us was an excellent place to work
Forecast analyst (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONOctober 26, 2015
I worked for Toys R Us for 14 years and learned a lot. It is a great company to work for and I had the pleasure to work with such amazing people. I've had many different positions from working at the store to moving up at the office and with each one I gained more experience which would help me move up within the company. I made many relationships and am so thankful at having the opportunity to grow and learn.
conservative
Labour Planning Analyst (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONOctober 15, 2015
Very conservative work culture. Need to hire from outside to bring in new ideas from time to time. Very little opportunity for learning.
Terrible place.
Sales Associate, Stocking shelves (Current Employee), Regina, SKOctober 4, 2015
Cons: Managers do not communicate, employees get away with harassment
Toys 'R' Us is an okay job if you're just starting out. The Managers do not communicate and they will get mad at you if you do a task another manager has asked you to do. Employees harass and make fun of other employees and management even does it sometimes. Terrible place.
Great place to work at; I learned a lot
General Labourer (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONOctober 1, 2015
Pros: paid breaks
Started work at 7am and had to make sure that i got to my station in time. Throughout the day I had various jobs to do that required lifting and making sure that each individual item was labelled properly and placed in the area to be shipped to the correct stores.

I learned the importance of being thorough because placing an item in the wrong place can mean that it is getting shipped to the wrong store that could potentially be on the other side of town. Also I was instructed to ensure that the shipping labels matched the items that were being ship to the various stores.

The management was ran smoothly. Although the managers were always busy due to the environment they were in, there were never and fight or mishaps. However, when the managers were in need they were always willing to assist you.

The greatest part of the job were the co-workers because, although the work was tiring and and sometimes stressful, the environment and the people around you help the days to go by easier.
Fun place
Cashier (Former Employee), calgary abSeptember 30, 2015
Overall great place to work, loved everything about it. such a fun work environment. Staff was great and easy to get along with.
Great Co-op Experience
Co-op Student (Former Employee), Windsor, ONSeptember 13, 2015
There was never a dull moment at this Toys R Us location. The staff was focused, friendly, and made learning the job easy. I restocked shelves, and aided customers often. Great customers, and staff. Would love to be more than just a co-op student.
Productive fun workplace
Warehouse Maintenance/Sales floor and cashier (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCSeptember 11, 2015
Pros: Social and Accepting
Cons: Hard to take breaks
Supportive community of hard working dedicated co workers
fun work place with supportive management
Easy to focus on the task at hand and leave work feeling accomplished
I wouldn't suggest it unless you really need a job
Floor (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 10, 2015
Cons: Low flexibility
It was a regular part time job with less than 20 minutes of training unless you work cash, most managers were friendly although some were unreasonable
Fun place to work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 7, 2015
If you can manage with the low pay it can be a great place to work and make friends. The staff is easy to get along with and experience in their respective fields
Productive and fun place to work
Sales person (Current Employee), Pickering, ONSeptember 4, 2015
A typical day at work is communicating with customers in a fast pasted environment. Also communicating with a great team. The hardest part is the heavy lifting
Productive, and team orientated
A/P Merchandise Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Concord OntarioAugust 31, 2015
Pros: Got to see up and coming new products
Cons: Long hours in winter months
The management was mostly team orientated, and all departments worked well together. The benefits and pay were fair, and they always hired from within. Hardest part of all was "season" but the company seemed appreciative off all efforts.
I loved the customer service aspect of working there
seasonal cashier/christmas (Former Employee), Kingston, ONAugust 21, 2015
Pros: Enjoyable environment
Cons: n/a
My typical day at Toys R Us, was all about the people, I was front line customer service, I learned how to multitask, deal with customer issues/concerns. I learned how to manage my time efficiently, my co workers were an amazing team, I feel I brought a lot to that team. The hardest part of my job was the fact it was seasonal, and it had to come to an end. The most enjoyable part of my job, was working with the public and my co workers.
Fun work place
Manager (Former Employee), Welland, ONAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Discount on toys if you have children, nieces/nephews
Cons: The majority of the staff is quite lazy, so if you're a hard worker, expect to feel out of place.
I enjoyed working here, it was fun, stress free and a nice relaxing job.
You get to stay up to date on all the new toys and fads, making you the best parent, aunt/uncle in the world.
Every day at work is a new day which brings with it new and exciting challenges.
*please see resume
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee), Oakville, ONAugust 17, 2015
My responsibilities at this work place were to open and close the store occasionally; this shows my responsibility and trust I created in a short time with my employers. In addition, part of my job was also to help new or soon to be new mothers and fathers through stressful choices and help these individuals to find products that would property suit their life style. In this job I was also faced with having to deal with customer service which allowed me to work with many different individuals who were upset or had an issue with a product or person in the store, this job taught me how to diffuse different types of situations and find solutions that made the customer satisfied as well as the store
Cashier (Former Employee), EdmontonAugust 11, 2015
Pros: 3 breaks, sometimes free lunch, discount, management
Cons: cranky holiday customers
I was hired here on a seasonal contract. I absolutely loved working here, was sad to go. Typical day was just on the till. We made competitions with other coworkers on how many sales, BPPs and donations to the Stollery or Autism Works we could get. Sometimes you get sent to the floor which is nice to be walking a bit. Management were awesome and very accommodating. My co workers were amazing too. I seriously loved that job.

The hardest part was probably dealing with customers. It was over the christmas holiday so no one wanted to buy protection plans (BPPs) which they did push you to get.

The most enjoyable part was everything else; 3 breaks a day, water, discount, sometimes lunch is bought, I got a pay rise a week after working there. Everything is great.
Fun environment but management response to my concerns were not that great.
Sales Associate, Temp-Cashier and Merchandiser. (Former Employee), 300 Steeles Ave W Thornhill, ONJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Friendly co-workers, benefits, fun and fast paced environment
Cons: Not enough hours
- Come into work, make sure cash register lines are not excessively long, assist co-workers if they are.

- Merchandise new shipments of products in all sections of the store, as well as keeping the store clean

- Assist customers to the best of my ability

- Co-workers were great and responsive to the store's needs

- Some issues with management, but a few were extremely nice and helpful

- Hardest part: Cleaning the entire store on my own because of lack of employee presence during the week-shifts

- Most Enjoyable Part: Satisfaction of doing a good job and having the excellent work done recognized by the Management on a daily basis.
a typical day in the life of Toysrus
Manager (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONJuly 28, 2015
Pros: different everyday
Cons: job work/family balance
A typical day at work involved either opening or closing the store. When opening you would count all the cashes, walk the floor and make a list for the team each day. Morning meetings to get the team all on the same page for the work day ahead. We resolved customer issues when needed, lots of customer service and shipping and receiving.

I learnt a lot at this job. Cash experience, accounting, resolving customer issues efficiently, working as a team. being a team player, merchandising, shipping and receiving, scheduling, payroll and much more.

The management team and staff were great to work with. The hardest part was training everyone to merchandise the same way as not everyone sees everything the same. But on the flip side the most enjoyable part was teaching new and old workers how to merchandise and working along side members of the staff.
Fast-paced workplace during holidays
Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 26, 2015
Pros: 15% discount
Cons: long hours during holidays
Sometimes a fun workplace but also can be stressful. Job title almost does not matter. Whether you are titled sales associate, your job responsibilities would include; cashier, inventory, customer service etc. Which can be tiring but also a benefit to me since I got experience in those fields.
Conflicting managment very inconsistant
Manager (Former Employee), Vancouver BCJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Happy kids and interaction with people
Cons: Poorly operated and inconsistant
Overall the company was pretty good to work for but there are some poor Managers in key positions and a lot of the stress falls to lesser paid middle management and supervisors. Poor value given to associates and inconsistent training for newer associates. Too much penny pinching and profit margin focus. No where near enough associates to run most full size stores affectively. When corporate representatives would visit budgets would be blown to impress the visitor but in no way would they ever see the true day to day operations of the company.
Headquarters