Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews

good first job
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NB2 May 2017
it was my first job and it was a really nice first job to have, it had a decent hours for part time employment but not a place that would be suitable for a permanent job
fun as a part time job as a kid
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC1 May 2017
I was a seasonal employee. I had no expectations. I was a student who just needed gas for the car. overall I met some fun people and never saw management. when I did they were angry at life
Unacceptable Work Place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON28 April 2017
A typical day at work was focused on warehouse management, store maintenance, shipping and receiving, and lugging heavy merchandise back and forth all throughout the shift. I learned how to utilize my organizational skills as well as became more generally educated on how to perform basic tasks. The hardest part of this job was the lack of proper job sight training and mentorship from upper management.
Pros
My first job
Cons
lack of training and poor leadership
flexible
Cashier/Merch (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2017
Enjoyable, and great coworkers. Gave me countless opportunities to try all departments. I worked hard, and they acknowledged my hard work and allowed me to move around for that reason.
Perfect entry level job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 April 2017
I was hired on after the Christmas season, and working at Toys R Us was the perfect entry level, part-time job for a person like myself with no prior work experience. I learned how to work well under pressure in a fast-paced, (sometimes) high stress environment, and my coworkers and managers were all very laid back. Overall, I am thankful for the experiences I've had working at Toys R Us, but once you learn how to run the customer service desk, there is little room for advancement, hence why it is a great entry level job for students.
Things could get quite stressful on days where things were busy, there were many (good) sales on at a time, and when we would have technical difficulties like registers and/or computer systems all being down or crashing at the same time. Retail can be a great place to interact with lots of different people on a regular basis, and it really helps if you have a positive attitude or you enjoy interacting with people. However, because there are so many people that you are interacting with on a regular basis, there are bound to be some frustrated customers who use you as the outlet to vent their frustrations. This is in every job of course, but this is especially prevalent during the Christmas/holiday season, in which many customers are already frustrated. It can get very stressful, very quickly. This may not be a good job for anyone who does not enjoy kids/babies, or someone who cannot handle when babies/kids cry, scream, and throw tantrums.
Pros
Good hours for students, understanding and accomodating when you have to call in sick/book time off
Cons
High stress environment, very noisy and loud at times, can get overwhelming on very busy days
Fun, happy workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON25 April 2017
-shifts usually began with group meeting
-not always doing the same job (nice to have change)
-management was kind, communicative, understanding and patient
-sometimes dealt with harsh customers
-would be trained in something new, then told not to do said thing and focus on original job
-enjoyed seeing children all day
-good balance of work and play
-fun events held at store, like events where they build toys and take them home, or switch lego characters with employees
Pros
all around good atmosphere majority of the time
Cons
pushing protection plans, sometimes understaffed in Babies R Us section
Mundane job with so/so management.
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON23 April 2017
The best part about working at Toys R Us is the friends you will make and some of the regular customers you get. But, it pretty much ends there. Store events (i.e. meet & greets, play day, lego make & takes) are pretty fun but are far and few - and you will not always be able to participate in them. The customers are ruthless and demanding. Management will always take the customers side if they are being rude to you.

I quit because I couldn't take some of the customer's rude and entitled attitudes while being forced to apologize or deal with it from management because they were too scared to themselves.

An OK part-time job, but sucks if you work 5-7 days a week.
Pros
Sometimes free lunches, store events
Cons
Long hours, rude customers, management
Pretty great for retail
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 April 2017
Toys R Us is a pretty fair company to work for, especially against some of the other retail establishments. Opportunities are there if you want them to be. Staff is usually energetic and friendly.
unorganized, poor leadership
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON20 April 2017
Can never get a clear idea of the tasks you are assigned. No compliments on a job well done, only criticism is provided. All they care about is making money to meet goals and don't care about the satisfaction of their employees.
Backshop Worker (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON18 April 2017
Friendly management make you feel comfortable working there from day one. Interacting with customers was a joy and a learning experience for me that i can take into future jobs.
Pros
fun, friendly environment
Cons
working outside in any conditions
Fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC18 April 2017
I had a fantastic time working for Toys R Us, working there enabled me to develop my customer service skills. I have learnt to effectively communicate and collaborate with my colleagues in order to offer the best customer service possible. The management was great and very helpful, it felt like a little family. I enjoyed being able to do different jobs working there, cashier, restock/overstock, warehouse, unpacking, taking calls, taking carts, cleaning. The longer I worked there the more hours I got. Minimum wage for students like me, but worth it!
Pros
Learning new skills
Cons
Lifting heavy objects
Not worth the job
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2017
I came in working at Toys R Us, thinking it would be a chill, fast pace environment.
Although the work was fast pace, everything else sucked.
lunches were not coordinated, I often went 8 hours without taking any breaks.
Management was friendly but sucked.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
We were a team
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Balzac, AB13 April 2017
Loved working for toys r us. We were there to help each other out. Management are there for their workers. Loved seeing kids with their new toy.Sadly is was only seasonal.
Good place for part time
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON12 April 2017
an ok place to work part time, the people i worked with made the job amazing but management was always an issue. loved the people i worked with and some of the management where alright.
Fun
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 April 2017
Working at Toys R Us was pretty fun. I was cleaning, stocking shelves, helping customers, which I really enjoyed doing. I did cash, took out garbage when needed, cleaned washrooms. It was pretty busy since I worked there for a Christmas season.
Good place to work on occassion
Truck Bay Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2017
A good starting job for any young person but there is little chance of advancement. Store also does not have the highest hiring standards, anyone can get in. Most of the managers are great to work with but they can be a little demanding.
seasonal help during high school
Cashier/Stock/ (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON8 April 2017
I was a seasonal employee in the electronics department for toys r us. I would work the cash register as well as keep shelves stocked. I was very helpful assisting customers since i have a lot of experience outside of a work place with electronics, games, stereos etc. At closing we would make sure our areas were clean and neat. I would have stayed on as an employee if they would have needed another full-time employee. This was my first retail job.
Pros
Love the store, enjoyed the team
Cons
was only seasonal, didnt need more full timers
Productive.
Team member (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 April 2017
This place is a blast. The staff is great, the customers are nice, hours are flexable, and its been an amazing experience to work here. Although during holidays its very busy.
Satisfying and nurturing workplace culture.
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Balzac, AB3 April 2017
A typical day consisted of either working floor assisting customers and organizing the store or working in the warehouse unloading shipments and transporting items to customers vehicles. The management was pleasant and easy to deal with. The workplace culture was very positive and fun as many of my co-workers were very kind and helpful. The hardest part of the job was the busy schedule where I was often running around for hours on end between organizing, assisting customers, and doing plenty of heavy lifting. The most enjoyable part was that this work was rewarding and the workplace culture made me enjoy coming into work every day.
Pros
Well organized. Rewarding and satisfying work. Positive workplace.
Cons
I was a seasonally contracted worker for the holiday season.
Easy & Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 April 2017
The management at Toys R Us West Edmonton was wonderful when I worked there, very easy to talk to.
Accomodating for time off.
Difficult to move up and only pays minimum wage.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toys 'R' Us. Our community is ready to answer.