Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews in Canada

a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of your job
the most enjoyable part of the job
the hours of the job
what you didnt learn
My review
Rzone electronics sales representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 6, 2016
Great place to work at I was hired seasonal. Got to work with a great staff and learn new skills and become more optimistic for any future employment with toys r us.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
I was hired seasonal and never kept
Good for beginners.
logistics coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJanuary 5, 2016
Good for beginners and students to learn basic language skills and communication bases in chinese language. Very difficult management relationships, very poor corporate culture.
Excellent for a first job.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 3, 2016
Co-workers were a pleasure to work with
Learned organizing techniques, how to approach customers and meet goals, place online orders/special orders for customers, lost prevention, etc.
The hardest part was meeting the required BPP sales percentage as customers were not interested regardless of how you approached them with the topic.
Pros
Decent hours, fun co-workers, friendly environment
Cons
If you don't meet the sales percentage they give you no more hours, and no termination of employment letter received.
Very great environment
Stocker (Current Employee) –  London, ONDecember 16, 2015
I enjoy every shift I work at Toys R Us. The workers are great and the supervisors are great. The midnight supervisor is very understanding and has a great attitude that helps everyone. He makes a great environment to work in and it rubs off on everyone else.
Positive work environment
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 13, 2015
. Typical day at work consists of coming in for night shift and unloading the tractor trailer, so colleagues can put product out on the floor.
. Toys R us has a positive and welcoming company culture.
. Management are very laid back and always try to accommodate staff.
. Hardest part of the job is getting the truck unloaded before the end of the shift.
. Most enjoyable part of the job is playing with the toys on down time.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Working Night, and low wages
productive and fun work enviroment
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 8, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Pros
great people
Friendly and productive environment
Lead floor sales, customer service desk, cashier (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCDecember 1, 2015
A typical day is steady paced with friendly staff and management. You constantly learn about new products so that you can accurately suggest items and boost sales. The hardest part of the job is finding a suitable product when you don't have enough information on the person the item is for. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction that comes with customers enjoying the product I suggest.
Fun place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONNovember 23, 2015
Very fun place to work! Great co-workers and loved seeing the excitement on the kids faces every time they enter the store! Learned lots of customer service skills working with people of all ages.
Pros
Playing with new toys and talking to the children
fun to work with toys
Merchandiser / Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 19, 2015
another team orientated work but i was only a seasonal worker so i didnt get a chance to see how the supervisor was but from what i saw it was well runned
Bad. Really bad. Don't work here.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2015
You'd get to work, sign in, if it's busy you go to a till right away, if not you reshop or piece. Or clean. That's all fine and dandy, however, you WILL get yelled at if you don't do something right because you weren't trained to the extent you needed to me. Managment needs to get their stuff together and train their employees better. My co-workers were normally great, however if you're new, and don't know how to do something, don't bother asking. Hardest part of the job? knowing that you weren't trained properly and needed help, but being too scared to say so when the managers will yell at you.
Unorganized, Zero Communication
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONNovember 18, 2015
I received no training - when asking for help management would push you aside and do it. I learned nothing.
Managers did not communicate. When completing a task for one manager another would come and ask why you were doing it and tell you to stop.
Got called a liar because no one I asked wanted to pay extra for a protection plan or a donation so I must not have asked at all.
Break room was disgusting, store is unorganized, managers are rude and treat you as just a number not an employee. It's no wonder there's such a huge turnover. Very disappointed in my experience there. TRU lost an employee and a customer.
Toys R US
Customer Service/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONNovember 11, 2015
Significantly skilled in providing prompt and friendly customer service, motivated and knowledgeable to receive and mechanize products in designated areas in front facing manner to increase sales, Able to establish high and efficient numbers in selling products, Works efficiently on computer to find products and establish orders online.
It`s a terrible place to work
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 3, 2015
On my orientation, the supervisor yelled at me for trying to assist someone who needed help with completing the paperwork. The overall cleanliness of the break room was terrible as well(it had a strange odour, the lockers were disgusting). Furthermore, hours depend on how many `quotas`you complete for the day. You basically have to harass people to buy a protection plan for toys. Terrible.
Pros
Getting paid
Very Fun
Cashier/Baby Department Associate (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NBNovember 2, 2015
Working at Toys R us was great. The atmosphere is very fun, the staff and management team is great. You are surrounded by toys during your entire shift so it makes it very hard to have a bad shift.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, and great staff
Cons
Very busy during the holidays
horrible
500's/Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONOctober 27, 2015
worst place to work, managers take advantage of you all the time and they usually only hire younger kids 14-15 because they are unaware of their workers rights. Never stepping foot in another toys r us again
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Toys R Us was an excellent place to work
Forecast analyst (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONOctober 26, 2015
I worked for Toys R Us for 14 years and learned a lot. It is a great company to work for and I had the pleasure to work with such amazing people. I've had many different positions from working at the store to moving up at the office and with each one I gained more experience which would help me move up within the company. I made many relationships and am so thankful at having the opportunity to grow and learn.
conservative
Labour Planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONOctober 15, 2015
Very conservative work culture. Need to hire from outside to bring in new ideas from time to time. Very little opportunity for learning.
Terrible place.
Sales Associate, Stocking shelves (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKOctober 4, 2015
Toys 'R' Us is an okay job if you're just starting out. The Managers do not communicate and they will get mad at you if you do a task another manager has asked you to do. Employees harass and make fun of other employees and management even does it sometimes. Terrible place.
Cons
Managers do not communicate, employees get away with harassment
Great place to work at; I learned a lot
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONOctober 1, 2015
Started work at 7am and had to make sure that i got to my station in time. Throughout the day I had various jobs to do that required lifting and making sure that each individual item was labelled properly and placed in the area to be shipped to the correct stores.

I learned the importance of being thorough because placing an item in the wrong place can mean that it is getting shipped to the wrong store that could potentially be on the other side of town. Also I was instructed to ensure that the shipping labels matched the items that were being ship to the various stores.

The management was ran smoothly. Although the managers were always busy due to the environment they were in, there were never and fight or mishaps. However, when the managers were in need they were always willing to assist you.

The greatest part of the job were the co-workers because, although the work was tiring and and sometimes stressful, the environment and the people around you help the days to go by easier.
Pros
paid breaks