Toys 'R' Us

Toys 'R' Us Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
It enjoyed it a lot
Cashier (Former Employee), LondonOctober 31, 2013
Pros: learning about the products
Cons: was only for christmas
I was Monday to Friday as Christmas help I learned a lot about the different types of toys. I enjoyed working with management as well as my many co workers. The hardest part of the job was I was only Christmas help the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing all the new toys that were coming out.
productive and fun workplace
Stock Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 24, 2013
I would come in go into the back and see if we had any trucks that arrived that needed to be unpacked. If there was I would be unpacking the truck and also doing carry outs to cars (carrying cribs,strollers,etc to destination if called) I would also take phone calls from customers who needed help finding something or who just needed to pick up an order. – more... Two hours before closing time I would start cleaning bathrooms as well as the store and locking doors. I learned how to work as a team and also individually while I was at Toys R Us. I also learned how to tailor my customer service skills and my communication skills. The hardest part of the job was working on something and being paged in and out like every second but I didn't really mind it, I just worked harder and moved faster. The most enjoyable part I would say was seeing all the happy kids and customers. – less
not a good company to work for
Babies R Us Associate (Former Employee), GTASeptember 24, 2013
Cons: a lot!
-interact with customers, merchandise product, clean
-management very unorganized, and not understanding of scheduling as discussed many times over. (they schedule 2 shifts for an entire day, and you are required to either work 8.5 hrs or 3 hrs. they do not allow leaving early for daycare pick ups or doctor apt.)
-they are very understaffed to the point – more... ppl have handed in their two weeks notice and the management continue to schedule said employee
-don't seem to concerned with health and safety, pile stock carts 7 or 8 feet tall and pull onto sales floor full of children and pregnant women
-all employees start off as casual hire and switched to part time after 3 months if they like you, or they may keep you as casual, so you cannot work toward earning benefits or vacation days
-only 15% discount for employees to purchase products – less
Great
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Pickering, ONSeptember 22, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed being employed by this company. I was there for a long time without much advancement. Was hoping for a promotion.
First jobs aren't always the best
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 13, 2013
First jobs aren't always the best. No matter how great of an outlook a company seems to have, it could always be different once you've taken a step and have had a good look on the inside.
Toys
Sales Associate (Former Employee), EdmontonSeptember 10, 2013
Pros: people, children running around
Cons: cant say there are any to explain
I wish I had more to say about this job, I was not here long enough for it to make a huge impact in my life, but I did enjoy the people I was with. I love being around people and meeting new people. I have a need to meet new people.
Not working enough.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 28, 2013
Cons: short shift, rude coworkers.
Despite me advancing my concern for lack of hours, I am only being given two 5 hour shifts per week. The work environment is fairly negative considering most of my fellow employees are always in a bad mood. When I get there, I usually make a round across the floor to make sure things are in it's place and not on the floor. If i'm not needed elsewhere, – more... i'll tend to cashier. The best and most uplifting part of my job is the children and their excitement for new toys! – less
Always puts a smile on my face
sales repesentative (Former Employee), Windsor, ONAugust 21, 2013
Pros: staff lunches
Cons: no cons
While working i would help move and load the heavier objects for the customers, and make sure the store remains clean. The staff their were all great funny people, who liked to laugh and have fun but were still all about results and getting things done. The hardest part of the day would be cleaning the store after a long days work. Helping kids and – more... parents pick the best toys. – less
was not the most enjoyable job
cashier, floor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 19, 2013
Pros: everyone was friendly
Cons: i didnt feel important being there
i had a hard time learning new things especially since this was my first job. i was never happy with the schedule i was given. also, the managers never seemed to interested in putting the employees needs first.
Very fun place to work
Assistant Store Director (Former Employee), Richmond HillAugust 16, 2013
I really enjoyed working with TRU, the staff and senior management were respectable and realistic. I truly got to see and experience the creation of culture and team building
working there
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 13, 2013
i loved working there, although i find that the sales associates that were hired after me got paid more.
Fun work enviorment
Sales associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 12, 2013
Fantastic employees and setting. Always fun, laughter and seeing the smiles when you help someone find an item they have been looking all over for and you have it.
produtive and fun place with toys
Merchandiser & Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), whitby onAugust 7, 2013
I enjoyed working at toys r us but didn't see a future. most day were helping customers and filling shelves. Management was good but not great. the hatdest part of the job was the lack of cooperation between staff. helping the customers.
Good job for student
Cashier (Former Employee), Pickering, ONJuly 31, 2013
Pros: easy
Cons: strange policies
This was my first job. At this kind of work environment you can expect to work with all different sorts of people from all walks of life. It's interesting to be around that kind of atmosphere, but you never know what to expect. Everyone at my store had a good relationship for the most part, but people could be gossipy.

I was a cashier and also worked – more... on the floor. Cashier's had to keep to their desks, call up big ticket items (too large for customer to carry/ or in overstock), print gift receipts, activate giftcards etc.The stores usually have horribly old computers for cash and they often glitch. You can't void a transaction without a manager's key, and if there is a mistake the whole thing needs to be re-done, which can get frustrating.

On the floor you're mainly dealing with parents or adults trying to find birthday presents for kids they don't really know. They store is divided into a few sections, RZONE (video games etc girls, outdoor play, bikes, baby, books, children's furniture, lego, games and seasonal. You need to know each section which makes selling significantly easier if you ask the right questions. It's really easy most people want some insight.

There was a ton of job security and I chose to leave myself. They paid above minimum wage at the time. There were decent hours and the people were fun. It wasn't a hassle to find someone to cover a shift especially on cash.

Overall it's an easy source of income that isn't too draining. – less
Flexible hours
Retail Worker (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSJuly 23, 2013
Flexible hours
Great first job
Good student job
Good work environment
It was extraordinary to have worked in a place where i have always dreamed of working since I was a child.
Floor Staff (Former Employee), Nepean, ONJuly 11, 2013
Really fun and enjoyable co-workers and staff, helped at times where I had trouble figuring out where merchandise was located, and managers were even nice enough to get me out of the night shift and put me onto the day shift since, in fact night shifts was conflicting me while I was in high school at the time.
Fun place to work
Customer service (Former Employee), CanadaJuly 10, 2013
Pros: large staff room with tv and refreshments, friendly staff
Cons: long hours in an intense work place
Babies R Us was a difficult yet rewarding workplace to be, as orders came in thick and fast and staff always had to be on their toes with high customer service and knowledge of how the store works and product placement.
it was ok
seasonal associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 30, 2013
it was good for a bit of the time. fun people to joke around with management was doing so good
Great Team environment
Sales Assosciate (Former Employee), 3495 Lawrence Ave E Scarborough (416) 439-8697June 13, 2013
Pros: enjoyed the atmosphere of the store
Typical day, schedule does not change
Learned to work with customers
Attend to problems and how to best control a unsettling environment
Cooperate well and work with co-workers
The hardest part would be to balance customer needs when it isn't in your hands to do so.
Enjoyed the experience and picking up great knowledge of what works best in many situations.
Started out great, turned into a nightmare by the end
Cashier, Sales Associate (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJune 10, 2013
Pros: sharpen sales skills
Cons: management, company policies
A typical day at work was working as a cashier, helping customers find products, and cleaning and stocking the floor. I learned how to interact with customers to ensure their satisfaction. The management team was mostly MIA and were more concerned with giving the customer what they wanted than following company policies, which led to disgruntled employees. – more... For the most part my co-workers were great to work with, usually willing to help each other out. However, the cliques and friendships between certain individuals caused a lot of unnecessary drama. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unhappy customers, especially with managers who would rarely hear out the employee's concerns. Also, the introduction of BBPs brought down crew morale and created a negatively competitive work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the electronics department. – less

About Toys 'R' Us

Toys“R”Us, Inc. is the world’s leading dedicated toy and juvenile products retailer, offering a differentiated – Read more