Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Energetic and Fast Paced
Seasonal Night Crew (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSJanuary 15, 2016
Pros: Fast paced, time flies by, very physical work
Cons: Dust and minor cardboard/razerblade cuts while opening boxes.
A typical shift during my holiday stay started at around 9:30PM or 10PM and went until at least 6:30AM. My duties included deconstructing pallets and flatcarts full of product and then moving that product from the truck bay into the aisles and onto the shelves in my section of the store. Once the truck was unloaded or there were simply no more materials to take out for my section, I would go to the aisles and begin stocking them with what I had brought out.

Speed was critical to the success of each shift, as we only had so much time to get everything unloaded and put away before the store opened, so being able to meet and exceed deadlines was an important part of the job. The aisles had to be not only stocked with product, but it had to look good for the customer too. That meant making sure displays were correct, end-caps were full and eye-catching and that the aisles and walls of product were all facing the right way to create an enticing experience for people when they came in when we opened our doors.

Other than the physical aspect of the job, the only really 'hard' part of it was keeping everything clean and organized to make the end of shift clean up of the cardboard easier. If you're reading this and are new, then make sure you stack like-sized boxes together and don't have em strung out through tons of different aisles. Keep a spare box around to toss all the little pieces of paper and cardboard into that won't just stack or are too small to mess around with at the end of a shift when you're tired. It saves so much time, even though it won't feel like it while – more... you're breaking down your boxes as you go.

Keep in mind that this review is for work at Toys R Us in a Seasonal Night Crew position during the Holidays. Each night we had a truck coming in, and the work was fast, sweaty and sometimes painful. Management was awesome and worked right alongside the rest of the team in making sure everything got off the trucks and onto the floors in a timely manner. Everyone worked efficiently and were generally very positive and helpful. If one person finished their section early, they'd help out in a different section.

All in all, I'd say that getting on for this position really helped to make me a better, faster and more efficient worker and it was a great experience with good people. – less
Toy store
Overnight SFS (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 15, 2016
Pros: Discounts!!!!
Cons: Over night
hanging out with team and completing tasks given, proper use of time, and ability to talk to manager about anything, if issues did arise they were quick to resolve.
Fun Workplace
associate (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONJanuary 7, 2016
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of your job
the most enjoyable part of the job
the hours of the job
what you didnt learn
My review
Rzone electronics sales representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: I was hired seasonal and never kept
Great place to work at I was hired seasonal. Got to work with a great staff and learn new skills and become more optimistic for any future employment with toys r us.
Good for beginners.
logistics coordinator (Former Employee), Oakville, ONJanuary 5, 2016
Good for beginners and students to learn basic language skills and communication bases in chinese language. Very difficult management relationships, very poor corporate culture.
Excellent for a first job.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 3, 2016
Pros: Decent hours, fun co-workers, friendly environment
Cons: If you don't meet the sales percentage they give you no more hours, and no termination of employment letter received.
Co-workers were a pleasure to work with
Learned organizing techniques, how to approach customers and meet goals, place online orders/special orders for customers, lost prevention, etc.
The hardest part was meeting the required BPP sales percentage as customers were not interested regardless of how you approached them with the topic.
Very great environment
Stocker (Current Employee), London, ONDecember 16, 2015
I enjoy every shift I work at Toys R Us. The workers are great and the supervisors are great. The midnight supervisor is very understanding and has a great attitude that helps everyone. He makes a great environment to work in and it rubs off on everyone else.
Positive work environment
Receiver (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 13, 2015
Pros: Positive work environment
Cons: Working Night, and low wages
. Typical day at work consists of coming in for night shift and unloading the tractor trailer, so colleagues can put product out on the floor.
. Toys R us has a positive and welcoming company culture.
. Management are very laid back and always try to accommodate staff.
. Hardest part of the job is getting the truck unloaded before the end of the shift.
. Most enjoyable part of the job is playing with the toys on down time.
productive and fun work enviroment
Service Representative (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 8, 2015
Pros: great people
Cons: long hours
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Friendly and productive environment
Lead floor sales, customer service desk, cashier (Current Employee), Langley, BCDecember 1, 2015
A typical day is steady paced with friendly staff and management. You constantly learn about new products so that you can accurately suggest items and boost sales. The hardest part of the job is finding a suitable product when you don't have enough information on the person the item is for. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction that comes with customers enjoying the product I suggest.
Fun place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Owen Sound, ONNovember 23, 2015
Pros: Playing with new toys and talking to the children
Cons: None
Very fun place to work! Great co-workers and loved seeing the excitement on the kids faces every time they enter the store! Learned lots of customer service skills working with people of all ages.
fun to work with toys
Merchandiser / Stock Clerk (Former Employee), Montréal, QCNovember 19, 2015
another team orientated work but i was only a seasonal worker so i didnt get a chance to see how the supervisor was but from what i saw it was well runned
Bad. Really bad. Don't work here.
Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2015
You'd get to work, sign in, if it's busy you go to a till right away, if not you reshop or piece. Or clean. That's all fine and dandy, however, you WILL get yelled at if you don't do something right because you weren't trained to the extent you needed to me. Managment needs to get their stuff together and train their employees better. My co-workers were normally great, however if you're new, and don't know how to do something, don't bother asking. Hardest part of the job? knowing that you weren't trained properly and needed help, but being too scared to say so when the managers will yell at you.
Unorganized, Zero Communication
sales associate (Former Employee), Sudbury, ONNovember 18, 2015
I received no training - when asking for help management would push you aside and do it. I learned nothing.
Managers did not communicate. When completing a task for one manager another would come and ask why you were doing it and tell you to stop.
Got called a liar because no one I asked wanted to pay extra for a protection plan or a donation so I must not have asked at all.
Break room was disgusting, store is unorganized, managers are rude and treat you as just a number not an employee. It's no wonder there's such a huge turnover. Very disappointed in my experience there. TRU lost an employee and a customer.
Toys R US
Customer Service/Merchandiser (Former Employee), Burlington, ONNovember 11, 2015
Significantly skilled in providing prompt and friendly customer service, motivated and knowledgeable to receive and mechanize products in designated areas in front facing manner to increase sales, Able to establish high and efficient numbers in selling products, Works efficiently on computer to find products and establish orders online.
It`s a terrible place to work
Sales associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 3, 2015
Pros: Getting paid
Cons: Everything
On my orientation, the supervisor yelled at me for trying to assist someone who needed help with completing the paperwork. The overall cleanliness of the break room was terrible as well(it had a strange odour, the lockers were disgusting). Furthermore, hours depend on how many `quotas`you complete for the day. You basically have to harass people to buy a protection plan for toys. Terrible.
Very Fun
Cashier/Baby Department Associate (Former Employee), Dieppe, NBNovember 2, 2015
Pros: Fun atmosphere, and great staff
Cons: Very busy during the holidays
Working at Toys R us was great. The atmosphere is very fun, the staff and management team is great. You are surrounded by toys during your entire shift so it makes it very hard to have a bad shift.
horrible
500's/Warehouse (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONOctober 27, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
worst place to work, managers take advantage of you all the time and they usually only hire younger kids 14-15 because they are unaware of their workers rights. Never stepping foot in another toys r us again
Toys R Us was an excellent place to work
Forecast analyst (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONOctober 26, 2015
I worked for Toys R Us for 14 years and learned a lot. It is a great company to work for and I had the pleasure to work with such amazing people. I've had many different positions from working at the store to moving up at the office and with each one I gained more experience which would help me move up within the company. I made many relationships and am so thankful at having the opportunity to grow and learn.
conservative
Labour Planning Analyst (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONOctober 15, 2015
Very conservative work culture. Need to hire from outside to bring in new ideas from time to time. Very little opportunity for learning.
Headquarters