Toys 'R' Us

5.1K reviews

Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews

Energetic work environment, friendly ex co-workers
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 7, 2013
A typical day at work, I would say it was very busy! But it was fun to work in a busy place, I enjoyed being apart of Toys'R'Us as a sales associate.

I've learnt/gained more:
- cash management
- stocking products
- organizing store
- understanding the customers need/s
- how to overcome every busy day at work

The hardest but most enjoyable part of the job is to sell our replacement plans, batteries, any on-sale item. It is enjoyable because me and my fellow ex co-workers would always compete in selling
Pros
tons of hours(roughly 30 hours a week), friendly co-workers
Cons
hourly wage
Bad. Really bad. Don't work here.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2015
You'd get to work, sign in, if it's busy you go to a till right away, if not you reshop or piece. Or clean. That's all fine and dandy, however, you WILL get yelled at if you don't do something right because you weren't trained to the extent you needed to me. Managment needs to get their stuff together and train their employees better. My co-workers were normally great, however if you're new, and don't know how to do something, don't bother asking. Hardest part of the job? knowing that you weren't trained properly and needed help, but being too scared to say so when the managers will yell at you.
Fun Work place
Outdoor Area (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 19, 2013
A Day in Toys R us called Midnight madness so busy day with lot of people coming for shopping and lots of deliveries to make to customers. One thing I learned on that day was work is work Praise your work take every thing that comes in your way and enjoy it and take 1 thing at the time and finish it and go after another one. hardest part of the job was some time lot of pick up comes at same time so you have to keep tack with it. Management and co -workers have good understanding to take care of it so good and enjoy to work.
Pros
lunch break and 2 fifteen minutes break for refreshment
Cons
8 hour shifts
Productive and great learning experience.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 24, 2012
I learned a lot about working in a fast paced workplace, and how to work with customers, nice and not so nice. My co-workers were amazing I made a lot of friends, and management was fine as well. The hardest part of the job would have to have been working during the Christmas holiday, but that was also when you learn the most and see how much you can take and can do. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing all the happy children getting exactly what they've always wanted.
Pros
taking your break whenever you want.
Cons
the constant change of managers
Positive work environment with fun managers
Part Time Associate (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ONJune 16, 2014
Toys R' Us has a great team put together from their managers, down to their common employees. As a Part Time Associate I organized the back room and would bring out stock to customers to their cars, as well as help clean up the floor of the store whenever possible. My co-workers were always light-hearted and i had a lot of fun with them, as well as the managers. There wasn't really a hard part about my job, but it still taught me patience with customers, as well as organization.
Pros
positive work environment
Cons
not too much room for advancement
coming up through the ranks
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONDecember 2, 2013
i came up through the ranks in toys r us, starting from a seasonal employee to becoming a manager and had a great working relationship with all the staff to the point that we became to feel like a family. i was able to learn a lot along the way and was then able to pass on what i have learned to employees both new and old. although it was difficult to become a manager to people that had taught me along the way, i managed to show them the leadership that provided them the tools to do the job correctly. although i do miss the staff, i will always remember them.
Productive with a fun workplace and co-workers and customers
Cashier / Re-Stocker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 16, 2014
It was a great experience, to be able to experience the rush of the Winter season at a well known toys company. I was able to improve my cashier skills even further, the management was great to work with. The best part about the job was communicating with customers and helping them out with whatever they needed. The worst part was when the customer was looking for something that we were sold out of, it just gives you a really bad feeling to not be able to make someone happy even if you cant do anything about it.
Thoroughly enjoyed working for this company
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  St. CatharinesJune 1, 2014
I very much enjoyed my time at Toys R Us. The management provided a great amount of quality training, team work was easy to execute and participate in. My employee relationships were good and I enjoyed building customer relationships as well. This companies outlook and vision is amazing and I would not hesitate to work for them again.
Pros
fast paced work, employee relationships were great, management was fantastic to work for and with.
Cons
seasonal work, upset customers on a more frequent basis, disorganized stock at times.
Fun and good amount of shifts.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines. ONJanuary 29, 2015
My typical day at work would be constantly talking with customers while checking them through while balancing going out onto the floor to help customers one on one. My co- workers were inviting and fun to be around, they made me feel comfortable in the work place. The hardest part about working there was the long hours standing at the cash, I could be there between 6- 11 hours a day. The best part for me was that I felt happy with my managers because they were lenient when I needed time off for personal reasons.
Pros
a lot of shifts
Cons
long hours of standing
Fun place to work
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 10, 2014
Toys r us was a wonderful place to work! Everyone is welcoming and makes you feel at home! I truly miss the extended family I made thru TRU. The only downsides are the higher ups and the impossible quotas you are expected to reach everyday!!
Pros
free lunches on a saterday during a busy time ie, christmas, black friday. dibs on leftover give away products. great discount on products.
Cons
management has very bad communication, tends to play favorites with people close to them personally, there is an expected quota for personelle to be reached in every shift.
Don't expect to grow
Cash & Electronic Sales (Former Employee) –  WinnipegFebruary 17, 2013
Toys R Us will provide you with skill needed for the future, just don't expect your future will be with them. They understand that if you will do the job of a manager at the pay of an associate they will not promote you. During main season expect mostly lazy work like cleaning and tidying. they will cross department you. Ex Work in baby and Preschool. or Work in Electronics and build bikes. during busy season expect to be put in a department and stay there.
Pros
15% discount on top of sales (not clearance)
Cons
will over work you if given opportunity
Excellent for a first job.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 3, 2016
Co-workers were a pleasure to work with
Learned organizing techniques, how to approach customers and meet goals, place online orders/special orders for customers, lost prevention, etc.
The hardest part was meeting the required BPP sales percentage as customers were not interested regardless of how you approached them with the topic.
Pros
Decent hours, fun co-workers, friendly environment
Cons
If you don't meet the sales percentage they give you no more hours, and no termination of employment letter received.
fun work with toys r us
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  westonFebruary 23, 2013
my days were very excited n productive i learn how to be more co operativity and how to manage product with serial numbers have to be the correct numbers because the production will be mixed up and my team worker would be in trouble.My hardest part of the job is to pack and rap the production then carry them to the line that were the forklift pick up the productions to the storage this the fun part to make sure its not too high or you will have to pull it down that was my days at toys r us
Pros
flexible
Cons
part time
fun workplace,
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 10, 2014
a typical day working at Toys R us as a Over Night Stocker was a good job I liked it, the hours you get use to fast if you like fast pace environments, I learned how to price products, management was good and I understood what they wanted to be done. the co-workers were just as good no one was arguing with anyone everyone got a long I don't think there was any arguing or conflict when I worked there and I enjoyed to job because it was fast pace and I knew what I had to do so I got it done as fast as I can to do more
Pros
discounts
Cons
Overall good but lots of improvement needed
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 18, 2014
pro's: fun work environment
-meeting great people and assisting children and families find ideal toys and services
-open door access to management and immediate solutions to problems are provided.

con's: -ridiculously low ammount of hours of work per week due to a decline in sales that is on the other hand partly a fault of headoffice and marketing and distribution teams who do not seem to listen to the demands of the customers and simply do not supply adequate lines of products.
▪Customer Service: Hard worker, responsible for returns and exchanges, worked hard for daily cashier goals, cheerful worker always willing to help out
Customer Service/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCJune 23, 2014
Although I was only there for seasonal everyone was very friendly, kind and open to new associates. I was working customer service at Christmas times, yet still hectic i had a good time. I made my daily goals and could close tills by myself. If i didnt have to move i was going to move onto customer service supervisor.
Pros
30 min lunch, good employees and managers
Great working atmosphere
A cashier and customer service desk representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 19, 2013
I enjoyed working with all staff at Toys r us. Managers were professional and fair. All staff created a poitive work atmosphere. Fellow cashiers were willing to help each other in any situation. I learned alot of how purchasing items and returns worked. I enjoyed helping customers find what they were looking and meeting their needs. It was hard rembering all the different promotons and the exceptions to each one.
Pros
employee discount
Dead-end Job with no room for advancement & minimal rewards
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABDecember 11, 2012
There is no full-time employment to be had with this company. only management are full time. High expectations for selling extended warranty even though your not on commission. Management has no regard for staff as humanbeings. 20 hours per week @ minimum hourly wages are all they allow.
Pros
employee discount on everything in store, interacting with customers
Cons
minimal pay, minimal hours, non-existent leadership, neglectful management
Not working enough.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 28, 2013
Despite me advancing my concern for lack of hours, I am only being given two 5 hour shifts per week. The work environment is fairly negative considering most of my fellow employees are always in a bad mood. When I get there, I usually make a round across the floor to make sure things are in it's place and not on the floor. If i'm not needed elsewhere, i'll tend to cashier. The best and most uplifting part of my job is the children and their excitement for new toys!
Cons
short shift, rude coworkers.
Learning how to practice patience and being respectful of others
Cashier (Current Employee) –  TorontoFebruary 5, 2013
Working at Toys ' R Us has made me an individual who knows the value of patience. Dealing with customers, and other people on a daily basis can be challenging. My work experience at Toys' R Us has made me understand people better, by practicing patience and being respectful. My team has always helped me to better myself and has always helped me stay focused. The best part about my job is the friends I make and the people I meet and greet everyday.