Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews

Enjoyable work environment, nice co-workers.
500/Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 May 2016
Depending on if the shift was in the morning or evening would a typical day at Toys R Us would involve prepping the store for open, making sure it is ready for customers. Once doors are opened focus shifts to assisting customers to the best of your ability and essentially stays that way until near close. Then cleaning up and organizing the store becomes another focus. The co-workers were for the most part similar in age, 15-20 years of age. All quite nice and the managers were also good.
Pros
Agreeable system for shift changes.
Cons
Long hours, occasionally monotonous work.
hard working place, people respect efficient worker
Full-time Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON26 October 2016
very hard working place, dont care about job safety, people have some racism attitude to asian people. benefit ok, too many temps, not willing to hire more fulltimer
Great work atmosphere
Bike Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC13 August 2016
I have enjoyed my time with Toys R Us as a bike sales leader, I have been given allowed independence in organizing priorities and maintaining good work standards.
Pros
friendly, positive atmosphere
Cons
little recognition for continued hard work
I didnt like it.
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 September 2016
While most of the employees were people I would consider friends, managemental wasn't entirely nice to me, I didn't get any breaks, and I would do the same thing over and over again.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Didnt get paid like i should.
Boring
STOCK WORKER/BIKE BUILDER (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC27 July 2016
Employees and Customers are grumpy. They start cutting hours if they want to get rid of you. Pay is mediocre. Managers aren't very friendly. Some employees are friendly some seem like they're always having a bad day.
Pros
Cons
The store has a boring vibe
good place to work
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON31 October 2016
The management at the Toys 'R' Us at Burlington, Ontario is very good. They strongly believe in working safe and respecting one another. It is a good place to work.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Low wage
Loved coworkers
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC3 August 2016
The time period that I worked there, was very busy and we had a lot of pressure. I had too many hours throughout the week and weekend with school. Although I loved my coworkers, I made many new friends.
Pros
Friends
Standard sales associate job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 July 2016
-No commission causes for lax environment but no chance at extra pay for effort
-Standard retail management, few going above and beyond
-Making clients happy is the best part
-Hardest part is satisfying angry clients
fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON4 December 2016
Cashiers assist Toys R Us managers with customer satisfaction and work to leave every customer satisfied with the toy shopping experience.friendly co- workers .great manegment
Typical Retail Position
Merchandising & Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB26 July 2016
Very hectic during the peak shopping seasons (Christmas). Job is secure; however, not much opportunity for quick advancement in the company. Based solely on seniority, not on skills or work ethic.
Productive workplace
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 May 2016
This job is great if you'd like to learn how to perform tasks in a extremely busy environment. It's helped me improve my customer service, organizational and most importantly time management skills a lot. I've enjoyed being around kids very much as well as some of my co-workers.
Low salary
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC15 April 2016
I worked at Toys R Us for 2 years. While the co-workers were amazing the management team and way the organization is run is dreadful.

I had co-workers that have worked 3 years at Toys R Us and remain at minimum wage all because they aren't selling the Toys R Us protection plan at a high enough percent. All management cares about is selling protection plans and base hours and raises among them. I was able to get a raise in my first year because I sold enough plans but the raise was a mere 10 cents.

In my experience employees start to care less and less about the job once the realize how dead-end it is, and the store suffers in employee engagement by a lot. There is a constant need to hire people because of high turnover.
Pros
Good Co-workers, works around your schedual
Cons
Hours and raises based on selling protection plans
was great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON17 September 2016
a typical day at work was coming in unloading the truck putting all the toys on the dolly's to stock the shelves also assisting customers who sought help in the store.
It was a good overall experiance.
Cashier/ Floor assosiate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 April 2016
I had fun. I got the hang of the job on the first day. I passed the set goals that my employer had set for all of the employers almost every day. I learned how to work a cash register, how to deal with upset customers and how to properly peace the shelves. When I worked at Toys R Us it was on a seasonal contract and it was around Christmas time, so the lines were very long, I learned how to deal with the customers when they were very irritated and stressed out. I liked all of my co-workers and we all got along very well. The hardest part of the job was to deal with the customers when they would yell and be rude towards me, but I handled it well. The most enjoyable part of the job was that me and my co-workers all got along and we all worked as a team to get through the day.
Pros
Free breaks, Able to switch from cash to floor assosiate
Cons
Seasonal contract
Seasonal warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON7 November 2016
Great place to work. I Recommend it to anyone who applies. Had allot of fun in a professional way working there. Worked warehouse.
So much fun
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON29 November 2016
Best job i EVER had, so much fun, great people and happy customers, how could you not have fun at a toy store!? i woke up everyday excited to go into work :)
Upbeat
Shipping/Receiving, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON1 May 2016
Toys R' Us was a fun, and upbeat place to work. It was an enjoyable place to work. Again working in a fast paced environment was good! Working at McDonald's really helped. Although it was upsetting that I wasn't allowed to be kept on due to budget restrictions was really upsetting.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Not busy enough
Managers and directors
Babies r us (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON4 November 2016
Working at toys r u terrible place to work for managers are rude awful hours sucks directors need to actually do something
Fun workplace
Merchandiser / Sales - Midnight shift (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 April 2016
Stocking and merchandising store shelves and displays. Learned to organize and strip product, and inventory..

Management was adequate, as well as co-workers, depending on the work season.

The hardest part was working straight midnights for long period or time.
Pros
working with family
Fun Place to work, leadership skills.
World Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 May 2016
If we talk about the store, its for kids so most families with kids comes in, have good conversation about their needs. organize the store. make sure other employees following their schedule. Help customers and co-employees.
Pros
friendly enviornment