Toys 'R' Us
4,164 reviews

Toys 'R' Us Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
productive and fun, awesome learning experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: awesome learning opportunities
Cons: co-op students don't get paid
did a lot of work with people of all ages, almost quite literally all ages.
from serving food or drink, to setting up for events hosted at the odawa center, as a co-op student could only do so much.
but did anything and everything i could with the time i had spent there
Productive and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: fun atmosphere
Cons: seasonal
How to take criticism from customers. Being able to help catch a thief. The only thing would that I found hard was not being able to do returns. All the staff that was there were great to work with.
Great employees, great managers, great atmosphere
Overnight Crew (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: great co-workers, great overall atmosphere
Cons: your personal life gets in the way
I loved working nights here. Everyone I worked with was a little bit geeky and easy to get along with. The managers were always on top of things and very understanding of any problems that came up. I would gladly keep this job year round if I could. The only problem with working nights is that your personal life becomes too hard to balance.
it's lots of fun wirking when you are having fun with the children and knowing you are helpping the new parents
Associate (Current Employee), Surrey, BCJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: satifing the customer and they have a smile on their faces
Cons: nott having stock
helping customer on choosing the right car seat, I've learned lots on the regulation on car seat and what is suitable for the children. Management is always there when or need any question.Co-worker are great they are there when you need help even if they don't know much of the product, The hardest part off the job is when you try to every resource to help the customer for the stock of the product they are looking for and it's in back order and you are not notified about it.
Fun environment with hard working people
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 28, 2014
Pros: good employees
Cons: mean customers
A typical day at work involves helping customers find the items they need in a friendly and fast manner. This involves checking stock and if sold out, either finding a substitute or another store that has it. I learned how to properly deal with customers and sell them buyer protection plans to ease their lives. My managers are amazing, in a way that they are strict to get the job done, yet fun going to make work simple. My co-workers are passionate people who try their best to make toysrus run smoothly. The hardest part of the job are the angry customers that come in, but overtime I have learned to help and deal with them. The most enjoyable part of the job are my co-workers and managers that make working there like working with family.
Customer Service (Former Employee), Belleville, ONDecember 5, 2014
Pros: meeting new people, answering questions they had
Cons: not enough hours
*cashier,sales associate,answering customers question,stocking shelves
*learned how to work in retail..was a stay at home mom for years
*management was ok just was not enough hours to stay after it was mentioned to the manager several times
*co-workers were great to work with
*not having enough hours
* meeting new people
Great Place and a Fun Enviorment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONNovember 30, 2014
Pros: everything
Typical day would be working at the cash register and helping assist customers.
Learnt to up-sell products.
Hardest part saying goodbye to the wonderful staff and and management crew.
most enjoyable part , helping customers
Great workplace and a great team
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Thornhill, ONNovember 17, 2014
A fun place to work, I had the opportunity to lead numerous activity days, and management is always fair and friendly.

Co-workers stick together and help each other out.

And the Christmas dinner is always exciting.
Friendly co-workers
Sales Associate, Seasonal (Former Employee), Barrie, ONOctober 30, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers
Cons: long shifts at busy time of year hard on the feet and back
Making customers happy by helping them find what they were looking for was quite enjoyable. co-workers were very friendly and welcoming.
Full of Toy and Fun
sales associates (Former Employee), calgary, ABOctober 13, 2014
Pros: good benefit and fun place
Cons: mostly part time work
FUN to work.
If you like toys and kis, this is heaven.
You will be the first person who knows what will be on sale.
Not the best management, easy job
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 8, 2014
Great cashier experience and organization of toys. Not the best managers or supervisors.
average retail experience
World Sales Leader (Current Employee), Burlington, ONSeptember 19, 2014
a good entry level job if youre looking for a few hours, but rarely a career.
All in all, great work place
customer service (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABAugust 29, 2014
Pros: great coworkers, fun environment
Cons: dealing with overly 'jerkish' christmas shopping parents, dealing with rude bosses all the time
I worked here seasonally (for the month of December), but everything was cluttered and a mess. Management and coworkers were all over the place constantly, making for an incredibly stressful work place (like we really needed more stress during the Christmas season). It was an over all fun job...you got to be around toys all day! It definitely brings you back to your childhood. I think that if it wasn't the Christmas season, they would've had their stuff together a little bit more.
Seasonal staff (Former Employee), Winnipeg MBAugust 21, 2014
Lifting, sorting, inventory, cleaning.
A decent place to work
Used to be a fun place to work
assistant store manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 10, 2014
Pros: great people and decent discounts for employees
Cons: no hours, emphasis on warranties and head office staff
I'd worked at store level for this company for 9 years working my way up from associate to assistant manager. The first few years were amazing. Employees at all levels were rewarded for meeting certain sales targets and there was a lot of room for advancement. In recent years that no longer exists. Distribution is absolutely atrocious and the flow of product makes no sense. Our location often had many key products out of stock for sometimes months on end and often got advertised items after the sales were over. We did our dilegence and notified the appropriate people CONSTANTLY and they did nothing. They did wonder however, why our sales were always down. Emphasis has been put on toy warranties that at the end of the day No one truely knew what they covered. Payroll has been cut drastically in recent years and has been twisted into an incentive to selling warranties. At the end of the day, great people to work with, awful behind the scenes.
Easy going, busy workplace and a fun workplace.
Sales associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Brampton, ONAugust 8, 2014
- A typical day at work for me would be to go straight on cash and try to sell a lot of warranty's for the customers products I sold a lot. I also would fix the register lanes and do a bit of re-shop.
- What I learned:
I learned how to use price guns, how to tag items, learned cash, recalled items and I also learned what products cannot be returned.
- The Management:
They are confused, and unprofessional. Always late on the schedule, hiring new people mean while they are telling the employees like me that they have no hours. I would always get complaints on why they only had one cashier on everyday, especially Friday the busiest day of the week. While I was working there, I never seen them give out monthly awards or certificates or anything that basically congratulates you.
- The hardest part of the job:
I would have to say that the hardest part of the job, was not having any help on cash while the lines had 16 or more people and I couldn't call an employee to help because the floor associates at that time have no experience on cash. When I would call a manager to help me on cash, they would say call someone else.
- The most enjoyable part of the job:
I would have to say working with the customers. I'm great with customer service.
was so many years ago but at the time was a great place to work
department manager (Former Employee), richmond, bcAugust 3, 2014
great place to work...understood their employees and needs
very welcoming environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONJuly 28, 2014
ToysRUs treats all employees and customers like family. They constantly praise their employees and have very good disciplinary rules which enforces good performance.
Cashier and other things
Cashier (Part-Time) (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 23, 2014
My day at Toys R Us was always different. I did jobs such as cashier, restocking shelves, helping customers, helping management and bringing in carts.

Since this was a large store there were more then one assistant manager and manager. This led to needing to be adaptive and responsive to various leadership styles. Due to personality you will connect well with some better then others. However it goes a long way in being able to be just as enthusiastic and responsive for all those above your position.

Being able to interact with the public face to face, you need to display energy even when you might not have any. This requires you to be proactive within the team and do your best all the time. This is the way that those above you gain appreciation for you.

At times when the store was extremely busy, it was required to go quickly and accurately in processing purchases at the cash. Being able to multitask is a huge bonus. This can be challenging to learn. It is difficult however I excelled at this due to my attention to detail.

I made some good friends while working at Toys R Us so that would have to be the most enjoyable aspect of the job. At times it got busy and challenging, however since you were part of a solid team, those times were able to pass and I was still able to enjoy the day.
Overall good but lots of improvement needed
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 18, 2014
pro's: fun work environment
-meeting great people and assisting children and families find ideal toys and services
-open door access to management and immediate solutions to problems are provided.

con's: -ridiculously low ammount of hours of work per week due to a decline in sales that is on the other hand partly a fault of headoffice and marketing and distribution teams who do not seem to listen to the demands of the customers and simply do not supply adequate lines of products.

About Toys 'R' Us

Toys“R”Us, Inc. is the world’s leading dedicated toy and juvenile products retailer, offering a differentiated – Read more