Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews in Canada

Busy and fun work environment
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJuly 16, 2016
Management is very thoughtful and considerate to employees. Annual raises and optional benefits, as well as scholarship opportunities. There are "measurables" that employees are expected to meet, which places some unnecessary pressure. Product is fun, and coworkers keep a good attitude and are very friendly. Can be quite disorganized in the store at times, and customers often complained.
Pros
close food court, kitchen
Cons
schedule is posted last minute
Part-time job w
Butchers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 15, 2016
I liked working there, It was a great part-time job for someone still in school student. Don't have much to say was a long time ago but I do remember enjoying myself co-workers became friends and most of the management was great
Nice, fun place with very consistent work
500's (Former Employee) –  690 Evans Avenue, Etobicoke, ON M9C 1A1June 29, 2016
I primarily worked in the packing area, moving boxes from trucks and into storage, organizing everything neatly. I really enjoyed my time there, but I unfortunately had to leave due to personal family things around the holidays.
Pros
Next to the mall so food was easy to get, simple and consistent work
Cons
the phones to call the warehouse staff can be a little tough to hear, the store is a mess at the end of the night because of the kids, no real place for bikes
Horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 31, 2016
Bogus. Managers are horrendous to customers and employees. They will find excuses to fire you no matter how well youre doing. Personally there was a conspiracy about calling in and complimenting myself from 4 different phone numbers.
Pros
15 percent discount
Cons
Long hours, over worked, no lunch on certain days, managers treat you like garbage, there isnt a single manager that will treat you as a human instead of a working machine
Friendly and productive environment
Lead floor sales, customer service desk, cashier (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCDecember 1, 2015
A typical day is steady paced with friendly staff and management. You constantly learn about new products so that you can accurately suggest items and boost sales. The hardest part of the job is finding a suitable product when you don't have enough information on the person the item is for. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction that comes with customers enjoying the product I suggest.
Fun time at toy's r us
Customer Service / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJanuary 20, 2016
what a great place to work i have never worked with so many amazing people in my life met lots of friends and the management was great always busy around the holidays keeps you on your toes
It was meh
Inventory/Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 26, 2016
I only worked at Toys R Us for the Christmas holidays. However based on how organized the schedules and management staff were I'd say there could've been a huge gap for improvement.
Pros
The work space was fun most of the time
Cons
Not nearly enough hours
productive work place
seasonal employee (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCJune 28, 2016
Working at Toys "R" US gave me a new outlook on thw working life. It made me realize how ignorant and rude people can be when they don't get their way but how happy they are when it all goes well. Working there was a real eye opener, I worked over the Chirstmas seaon and never actually knew what people eant when they talked about beening busy until I was a part of it,.
Fun Workplace
associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 7, 2016
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of your job
the most enjoyable part of the job
the hours of the job
what you didnt learn
toys r us summary
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 8, 2016
although this was a seasonal contract I Loved this employment.
the management was actually very well and customers were fun as were the employees.
Great place to work at; I learned a lot
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONOctober 1, 2015
Started work at 7am and had to make sure that i got to my station in time. Throughout the day I had various jobs to do that required lifting and making sure that each individual item was labelled properly and placed in the area to be shipped to the correct stores.

I learned the importance of being thorough because placing an item in the wrong place can mean that it is getting shipped to the wrong store that could potentially be on the other side of town. Also I was instructed to ensure that the shipping labels matched the items that were being ship to the various stores.

The management was ran smoothly. Although the managers were always busy due to the environment they were in, there were never and fight or mishaps. However, when the managers were in need they were always willing to assist you.

The greatest part of the job were the co-workers because, although the work was tiring and and sometimes stressful, the environment and the people around you help the days to go by easier.
Pros
paid breaks
Productive workplace
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 18, 2016
This job is great if you'd like to learn how to perform tasks in a extremely busy environment. It's helped me improve my customer service, organizational and most importantly time management skills a lot. I've enjoyed being around kids very much as well as some of my co-workers.
A part-time place to get by
Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 15, 2015
A heavy weight is placed on selling measurables without compensation.
Management tends to not communicate as well as they possibly could, internally and with employees.
Thrown to the wolves when it comes to training but employees are helpful and understanding.
Potential to build good communication skills with the need to help so many customers with varying needs and understanding.
Cons
No strict end time when closing the store
Fun workplace
Merchandiser / Sales - Midnight shift (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 22, 2016
Stocking and merchandising store shelves and displays. Learned to organize and strip product, and inventory..

Management was adequate, as well as co-workers, depending on the work season.

The hardest part was working straight midnights for long period or time.
Pros
working with family
Fun Place to work, leadership skills.
World Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 9, 2016
If we talk about the store, its for kids so most families with kids comes in, have good conversation about their needs. organize the store. make sure other employees following their schedule. Help customers and co-employees.
Pros
friendly enviornment
Enjoyable place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 4, 2016
Working at toys r us was good i enjoyed it a typical day at work was working with customers, i learned alot of people skills working here. The hardest part was when we didnt have something a customer wanted . The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the look on a customers face when you had what they wanted.
Highly productive
Assist customers (Former Employee) –  Pickering OntarioApril 29, 2015
Typical day at work would be greeting customers and cashing them through. Assisting customers in directing them to the right aisle they are looking for.
I learned plenty of sales techniques from other co-workers.
Management was ok.
Co-workers some were very competitive, as others were very down to earth and I made plenty of healthy work relationships and we helped each other in sales. Helped others as a team.
Hardest part of the job was The BBP sales, warrants that covered what the manufacturers warranty did not cover.
Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing other co-workers, greeting customers and making their shopping as easy and as quick as possible.
Pros
Lunch break, discount on items at the store
Cons
Not many shifts, short hours
Standard sales associate job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 26, 2016
-No commission causes for lax environment but no chance at extra pay for effort
-Standard retail management, few going above and beyond
-Making clients happy is the best part
-Hardest part is satisfying angry clients
Typical Retail Position
Merchandising & Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBJuly 26, 2016
Very hectic during the peak shopping seasons (Christmas). Job is secure; however, not much opportunity for quick advancement in the company. Based solely on seniority, not on skills or work ethic.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  EdmontonAugust 11, 2015
I was hired here on a seasonal contract. I absolutely loved working here, was sad to go. Typical day was just on the till. We made competitions with other coworkers on how many sales, BPPs and donations to the Stollery or Autism Works we could get. Sometimes you get sent to the floor which is nice to be walking a bit. Management were awesome and very accommodating. My co workers were amazing too. I seriously loved that job.

The hardest part was probably dealing with customers. It was over the christmas holiday so no one wanted to buy protection plans (BPPs) which they did push you to get.

The most enjoyable part was everything else; 3 breaks a day, water, discount, sometimes lunch is bought, I got a pay rise a week after working there. Everything is great.
Pros
3 breaks, sometimes free lunch, discount, management
Cons
cranky holiday customers