Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews

Can be fun if you care less about hours.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON2 September 2016
They will use you until they feel you are no longer an asset, no matter how hard you work. Then your hours go down the hole..
They only care about numbers and how good you can make management look. Other than that they really don't give a stink about their employees. Do them favors and you get nothing in return.
If you are looking for steady hours, this is not the place to be.
Store is so unorganized and scheduling is brutally bad. Customers complain all the time that there is NO employees on the floor.
When there is shortage on the floor (which is often) they expect you to be a machine and do everything.
There is no training for anything other than working cash.
Do not work here!!
BTW the one thing I guess I learned working there is I trained myself to get less frustrated and more patient. I cannot say the same for many others that quit.
Pros
meeting new firend's. finding something a child is looking for and putting a smile on their face.
Cons
some management. hours are too up and down. Christmas time offers good hours, but trust me it is not worth it. People are rude, you run around stressing yourself too death, and they dump you end of season.
Fun and open environment workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 January 2017
Although seasonal, I enjoyed my time spent working there. The open environment allows for everyone to feel safe and comfortable with opening up to one another. Management was especially good, bonded with workers instead of simply Micro managing.
Good staff
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 December 2016
Pretty good overall, a good coworkers and management. Hours are ok but shift exchanges are easy, for more hours. Most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with coworkers and the friends i have made there.
Pros
The coworkers
Cons
not enough ours sometimes
great place to work
R Zone Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 January 2017
managers are amazing, and a great place to learn about new products and whats hot on today's market, I never once felt uncomfortable. the minute i started working i felt accepted and there was no awkward first few days and training was very on point they don't just run you through then let you figure out the rest, they ensure you have the proper tools to do your job properly .
Pros
great work environment
Cons
low hours January through till march
Miserable Experince
Supervisor/Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 January 2017
At first everything was great. They were able to work around what I needed for scheduling and everyone was fantastic to work with.

Now it's all become downhill. The managers won't listen to criticism when it is given and any sort of discussion turns into a Manager against the Employee situation. Even when trying to bring issues up further to HR, they seem to treat it the exact same way.
Top heavy managment, relies on insurance sales, poor training
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2016
As a part time sales associate/ cashier you can be expected to run cash, direct customers to desired product and tidy fixtures.

You are also expected to keep up a percentage of BPP sales on anything with mechanical or moving parts, INCLUDING toys and products which already come with the manufactures insurance. For bikes and electronics this is reasonable, however for everything else it's a complete waste of money for the customer, and you're forced to prey on the ignorant to keep your percentage up. Often times customers are dissatisfied with the prices on their children's toys to begin with, and become even more upset when pushed to spend $100 on insurance for something their kid isn't going to use for more than a year anyway.

Management is also extremely top heady, I had something like 5 managers working at my location, and most of them were in their early 20's, barely doing more than the 17 year old cashiers working under them. furthermore, the training was carried out by other cashiers, leading most of the staff to be trained poorly. I had no idea what to do for the first month I worked there simply because I was "trained" for 2 4 hour shifts and left to stumble through hoops on my own.
Pros
easy to get hired, meager discount
Cons
not allowed to take your scheduled break most of the time, poor training, poor management, BPPs
Productive and enjoyable place to be employed at.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Maple, ON27 December 2016
environment very easily adapted to. Easy group to work with, overall good place to be employed. Learned a variety about toys and baby products. Management is very accommodating and understanding,
Great management team
Customer Service Representative / Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 January 2017
Clients can be difficult, but also amazing.
The hours aren't particularly long, but closing can be.
The people you work with are wonderful, as well as the management staff.
productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON3 October 2016
The company offers flexible hours which is beneficial. Plus the management is supportive in various ways. Customer service is essential in retail and working here makes you accustomed with this particular skill. Everyday is different with new challenges which is what I look forward to.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
NOT A lot Of Hours
Terrible management
Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON31 January 2017
Most unprofessional, disrespectful, rude, and uncaring managers you can find. They aren't fair and they make illogical decisions. Coworkers are great, the job itself isn't too demanding.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Productive workplace, great people and experience
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 February 2017
The Toys R Us team is great and very welcoming, the training was made very easy and the environment is super friendly. I worked as a cashier/sales associate and it was an enjoyable jobs, sometimes it does get very hectic and there are line ups but with the right training and skills you learn how to deal with that overtime.
if you liked highschool youll love Toys R US
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2017
Co-workers and management was a complete joke at the location I worked for. Definitely favoritism going on and a lot of childish games.
Volunteered
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON6 January 2017
As part of my co-op work term while at Emily Carr gr. 11, I was hired as a Stock Clerk, and was involved in restocking shelves with inventory, scanning codes to update inventory levels, assisted customers with sourcing products on shelves, and was involved in general organization within the stock room and throughout the store.
Pros
Open environment
Cons
Wasn't on payroll
Loved working here.
Floor/Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 December 2016
It was my first job and my favorite job. Loved helping customers, management team was great and it really is a relaxed kind of job.
productive, great employees, large breakroom
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON18 August 2016
typical day at work would involve working cash, customer service, and on the floor. This was my first job so I learned many different things. Hardest part of the job would be working during the holidays. Most enjoyable part was the people.
Pros
good people
Fun workplace overall
Shipper/Receiver (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 October 2016
Overall was a good experiences. Met nice people and always got the job done. Always had to be prepared. My manager was cool very understanding. Stock. Climbing ladders. Shelving. Pricing. Cleaning. Receiving shipment. Hardest part of the job was put everything on the high shelves with the ladder. Co workers were all cool. Best part was the experience
Pros
New experience
Cons
Overnight. Not allowed to leave work after hours. Eating habits
Fun place with wonderful people
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
Enjoyable workplace with great coworkers and managers. There was always work to be done, and someone was always there if you needed help. Hardest part of the job was looking for specific items for customers. The most enjoyable was working alongside amazing people.
Loved coworkers
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC3 August 2016
The time period that I worked there, was very busy and we had a lot of pressure. I had too many hours throughout the week and weekend with school. Although I loved my coworkers, I made many new friends.
Pros
Friends
Cons
It is a good company to work.
Accounts Payable Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJ31 January 2017
I worked as an Account payable at the company. It is a good company to work. There is a friendly environment.
You can learn and improve yourself. I really enjoyed working with them. Employees are generally happy and provide a positive environment for the customers. Would have kept working for them.
Enjoyable work environment, nice co-workers.
500/Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 May 2016
Depending on if the shift was in the morning or evening would a typical day at Toys R Us would involve prepping the store for open, making sure it is ready for customers. Once doors are opened focus shifts to assisting customers to the best of your ability and essentially stays that way until near close. Then cleaning up and organizing the store becomes another focus. The co-workers were for the most part similar in age, 15-20 years of age. All quite nice and the managers were also good.
Pros
Agreeable system for shift changes.
Cons
Long hours, occasionally monotonous work.