Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Low salary
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee), North Vancouver, BCApril 15, 2016
Pros: Good Co-workers, works around your schedual
Cons: Hours and raises based on selling protection plans
I worked at Toys R Us for 2 years. While the co-workers were amazing the management team and way the organization is run is dreadful.

I had co-workers that have worked 3 years at Toys R Us and remain at minimum wage all because they aren't selling the Toys R Us protection plan at a high enough percent. All management cares about is selling protection plans and base hours and raises among them. I was able to get a raise in my first year because I sold enough plans but the raise was a mere 10 cents.

In my experience employees start to care less and less about the job once the realize how dead-end it is, and the store suffers in employee engagement by a lot. There is a constant need to hire people because of high turnover.
It was a good overall experiance.
Cashier/ Floor assosiate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 15, 2016
Pros: Free breaks, Able to switch from cash to floor assosiate
Cons: Seasonal contract
I had fun. I got the hang of the job on the first day. I passed the set goals that my employer had set for all of the employers almost every day. I learned how to work a cash register, how to deal with upset customers and how to properly peace the shelves. When I worked at Toys R Us it was on a seasonal contract and it was around Christmas time, so the lines were very long, I learned how to deal with the customers when they were very irritated and stressed out. I liked all of my co-workers and we all got along very well. The hardest part of the job was to deal with the customers when they would yell and be rude towards me, but I handled it well. The most enjoyable part of the job was that me and my co-workers all got along and we all worked as a team to get through the day.
fun well organized.
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 6, 2016
Managed well with good people, younger employees.
Lots of rude people but that comes with Christmas shopping stress.
Every employee was very welcoming and friendly.
Great place to start your career
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONApril 6, 2016
Fun place to start your career. Energetic work environment. Lots of opportunity to learn. Great training programs.Incentives for all employees.
Enjoyable place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 4, 2016
Working at toys r us was good i enjoyed it a typical day at work was working with customers, i learned alot of people skills working here. The hardest part was when we didnt have something a customer wanted . The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the look on a customers face when you had what they wanted.
Fun and challenging
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 2, 2016
It was a great experience, learning new stuff daily... Customer service was always first.
Great company....................................
Friendly management, flexible scheduling, happy environment
Seasonal Sales Clerk (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONMarch 20, 2016
I loved working at Toys R Us because of the amazing environment in the store. I always looked forward to going to work, and I was sad when my seasonal position was over.
Good
Customer service (Former Employee), Stoney Creek, ONMarch 20, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping and talking to the customer, and also learning everything about the store.
Great company to work for
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2016
Pros: Great staff
Cons: Work evenings and weekends
I have had nothing but great experiences working for Toys R Us. The company as a whole has been wonderful to me. I would highly recommend working for this company.
Relaxed environment where staff is treated respectfully
Seasonal Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee), Burlington, ONMarch 16, 2016
Pros: close to home, flexible hours
Cons: long hours standing
I only worked for Toys 'R' Us for a few weeks as a seasonal associate, but I enjoyed my time there. I worked during the last 2 months of my pregnancy and the managers and other associates were very kind and flexible when it came to doctor's appointments or other challenges I faced.

The hardest part of the job was standing for long hours, especially because I was pregnant at the time. Manager on duty would periodically check on me if I had a shift over 6 hours and sometimes switch me from cash to floor so that I could walk around and stretch my legs.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the other staff and customers. I learn a lot from people and conversation and as a cashier I often had time to chat briefly with customers while ringing through their items.

As this was not my first job as cashier, there were not any specific skills I needed to be taught, however as the years have passed I have grown more comfortable in talking to strangers and would say I am now very confident in starting conversation.
Part-time job w
Butchers Assistant (Former Employee), Markham, ONMarch 15, 2016
I liked working there, It was a great part-time job for someone still in school student. Don't have much to say was a long time ago but I do remember enjoying myself co-workers became friends and most of the management was great
Productuve and fun working there
Seasonal worker (Former Employee), Regina, SKMarch 14, 2016
Pros: Getting work experince
Cons: hours are not the same day to day for part time work
Hard but fun to help people find what they need. The hardest part is remembering where every thing is in the store. All co-workers were helpful to know what to do to find what is needed.
Intermediate Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2016
Corporate office is a great place to work. They put in a lot of effort to create a work life balance. There is no politics or back stabbing. It is like a close society where everyone knows everybody.
Friendly. fast paced environment with many opportunities
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 8, 2016
Fast paced, friendly, exciting work environment with helpful coworkers. Many opportunities to assist with customer questions and concerns and overcome challenges.
Loud fast paced enviornment
General Labourer (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONMarch 8, 2016
Pros: diverse work environment
Cons: constantly moving around
A typical day at work would be to pick and pack skids, scan the manifests and load the trailers. I learned how to work quickly and efficiently within a timely manner. Management was next to non existent since I barely saw them. co-workers were often friendly and diverse. The hardest part of the job was pace I had to maintain I was quickly and constantly moving around. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about various different positions from other workers.
Good First Job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2016
Pros: Everyone there is friendly
Cons: Long hours
Working at Toys R Us was my very first job and I really liked it. Co-workers were really friendly and nice as well as the managers and most of the time you're either on the cash register or on the floor helping customers and reorganizing products that are misplaced.
Excellent working environment and many different roles to suit the interest of employees. Managers are great and always there to help.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 5, 2016
I had worked at ToysRUs and BabiesRUs for about 6 years and due to this, I was given the opportunity to try out many different departments and gain experience from all. The managers were very friendly and helpful when they needed to be. My colleagues were very friendly and we quickly became a family. Albeit sometimes understaffed, the training and knowledge we had gained translated well when getting through the day as our customers went home satisfied. Working one on one with the customers helped us build a relationship with customers so we could make sure they go home with products that suits their particular needs.
Fun Work Experiance
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Owen Sound, ONMarch 2, 2016
Pros: 30 min breaks
Cons: Short hours
Seeing all of the kids come in and play with toys was one of the best parts of the job. Stocking the shelves was a daily activity but it was always a good time to see the new product coming in. Managers were very nice and understanding to employees and customers.
temporary job
Toys R Us Cashier (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCFebruary 29, 2016
I was only seasonal at toys r us. However the time i was there i enjoyed working there. the people were nice and I enjoyed going to work. If one opens near me i will try to work there.
fun workplace and very rewarding with the kid clientele
Chef de monde, Service à la clientèle et caissière (Former Employee), Laval, QCFebruary 23, 2016
Pros: steady hours, the clientele
Cons: Salary and Holiday rush
Most days I would supervise the cashiers and the customer service employees. I would assist on cash and anywhere else that would be required. The atmosphere is just what you would think, pleasant and heartfelt. There is no way to explain the satisfaction of being able to assist a child in finding the perfect toy or a parent that isn't sure about a gift.
Headquarters