Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews in Canada

Loud fast paced enviornment
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMarch 8, 2016
A typical day at work would be to pick and pack skids, scan the manifests and load the trailers. I learned how to work quickly and efficiently within a timely manner. Management was next to non existent since I barely saw them. co-workers were often friendly and diverse. The hardest part of the job was pace I had to maintain I was quickly and constantly moving around. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about various different positions from other workers.
Pros
diverse work environment
Cons
constantly moving around
Excellent working environment and many different roles to suit the interest of employees. Managers are great and always there to help.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 5, 2016
I had worked at ToysRUs and BabiesRUs for about 6 years and due to this, I was given the opportunity to try out many different departments and gain experience from all. The managers were very friendly and helpful when they needed to be. My colleagues were very friendly and we quickly became a family. Albeit sometimes understaffed, the training and knowledge we had gained translated well when getting through the day as our customers went home satisfied. Working one on one with the customers helped us build a relationship with customers so we could make sure they go home with products that suits their particular needs.
Low salary
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCApril 15, 2016
I worked at Toys R Us for 2 years. While the co-workers were amazing the management team and way the organization is run is dreadful.

I had co-workers that have worked 3 years at Toys R Us and remain at minimum wage all because they aren't selling the Toys R Us protection plan at a high enough percent. All management cares about is selling protection plans and base hours and raises among them. I was able to get a raise in my first year because I sold enough plans but the raise was a mere 10 cents.

In my experience employees start to care less and less about the job once the realize how dead-end it is, and the store suffers in employee engagement by a lot. There is a constant need to hire people because of high turnover.
Pros
Good Co-workers, works around your schedual
Cons
Hours and raises based on selling protection plans
fun workplace and very rewarding with the kid clientele
Chef de monde, Service à la clientèle et caissière (Former Employee) –  Laval, QCFebruary 23, 2016
Most days I would supervise the cashiers and the customer service employees. I would assist on cash and anywhere else that would be required. The atmosphere is just what you would think, pleasant and heartfelt. There is no way to explain the satisfaction of being able to assist a child in finding the perfect toy or a parent that isn't sure about a gift.
Pros
steady hours, the clientele
Cons
Salary and Holiday rush
Fast-paced but fun environment
Babies "R" Us Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 17, 2016
The environment at Toys "R" Us was rather fun and exciting, being able to see the new offers that come out each week. It was fast-paced but employees were always willing to teach and help. My co-workers were lovely people who made the experience much more comfortable. The management did touch on a sensitive topic for me that was out of my control, but it was resolved fairly quickly. The most enjoyable part of the job was putting a smile on everyone's faces.
Pros
Half an hour lunches
Cons
Sometimes had to work 9-10 hours
It was a good overall experiance.
Cashier/ Floor assosiate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 15, 2016
I had fun. I got the hang of the job on the first day. I passed the set goals that my employer had set for all of the employers almost every day. I learned how to work a cash register, how to deal with upset customers and how to properly peace the shelves. When I worked at Toys R Us it was on a seasonal contract and it was around Christmas time, so the lines were very long, I learned how to deal with the customers when they were very irritated and stressed out. I liked all of my co-workers and we all got along very well. The hardest part of the job was to deal with the customers when they would yell and be rude towards me, but I handled it well. The most enjoyable part of the job was that me and my co-workers all got along and we all worked as a team to get through the day.
Pros
Free breaks, Able to switch from cash to floor assosiate
Cons
Seasonal contract
Adequate
Cashier/ sales associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 11, 2016
Working at Toys R Us was adequate for me only because it was during the Christmas holidays and some days became more stressful than others. I did not have a great chance of being hired afterwards due to the fact that they kept all their old employees and were not looking for other new ones. They were okay at balancing my school work with my shifts but sometimes it was hard to switch.
Enjoyable place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 4, 2016
Working at toys r us was good i enjoyed it a typical day at work was working with customers, i learned alot of people skills working here. The hardest part was when we didnt have something a customer wanted . The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the look on a customers face when you had what they wanted.
Fun workplace
Merchandiser / Sales - Midnight shift (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 22, 2016
Stocking and merchandising store shelves and displays. Learned to organize and strip product, and inventory..

Management was adequate, as well as co-workers, depending on the work season.

The hardest part was working straight midnights for long period or time.
Pros
working with family
Productive workplace
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 18, 2016
This job is great if you'd like to learn how to perform tasks in a extremely busy environment. It's helped me improve my customer service, organizational and most importantly time management skills a lot. I've enjoyed being around kids very much as well as some of my co-workers.
Excellent for a first job.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 3, 2016
Co-workers were a pleasure to work with
Learned organizing techniques, how to approach customers and meet goals, place online orders/special orders for customers, lost prevention, etc.
The hardest part was meeting the required BPP sales percentage as customers were not interested regardless of how you approached them with the topic.
Pros
Decent hours, fun co-workers, friendly environment
Cons
If you don't meet the sales percentage they give you no more hours, and no termination of employment letter received.
Good First Job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2016
Working at Toys R Us was my very first job and I really liked it. Co-workers were really friendly and nice as well as the managers and most of the time you're either on the cash register or on the floor helping customers and reorganizing products that are misplaced.
Pros
Everyone there is friendly
Cons
Productive and fun workplace with bad managers.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 8, 2016
A typical day at Toys 'R' Us would be restocking toys half of the time and helping customers the other half. I learned how to communicate better with people since the job requires you to help customers. The managers at the store were not the nicest and did not give me proper training for the job and didn't pay me on my first day (training day). The co-workers were very friendly, and very respectful. The hardest part of the job was having to restock the toys because there was just so many toys out of place that it took a long time before we got everything organized and was allowed to leave. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers and making them feel wanted and respected.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes, 15% discount on everything in the store, co-workers were respectful and friendly.
Cons
Long hours, walking around a lot, managers, dealing with rude customers.
Positive work environment
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 13, 2015
. Typical day at work consists of coming in for night shift and unloading the tractor trailer, so colleagues can put product out on the floor.
. Toys R us has a positive and welcoming company culture.
. Management are very laid back and always try to accommodate staff.
. Hardest part of the job is getting the truck unloaded before the end of the shift.
. Most enjoyable part of the job is playing with the toys on down time.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Working Night, and low wages
Fun Work Experiance
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONMarch 2, 2016
Seeing all of the kids come in and play with toys was one of the best parts of the job. Stocking the shelves was a daily activity but it was always a good time to see the new product coming in. Managers were very nice and understanding to employees and customers.
Pros
30 min breaks
Cons
Short hours
Fun Place to work, leadership skills.
World Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 9, 2016
If we talk about the store, its for kids so most families with kids comes in, have good conversation about their needs. organize the store. make sure other employees following their schedule. Help customers and co-employees.
Pros
friendly enviornment
Amazing Team
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCFebruary 3, 2016
was a amazing experience working with the toys r us team I have learned so much in my customer service , always learning something new with the cashier position meeting new people,

only seasonal yes but i would definitely go back each season to help the team out.

great tons of fun
Pros
star light foundation for children
Productuve and fun working there
Seasonal worker (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMarch 14, 2016
Hard but fun to help people find what they need. The hardest part is remembering where every thing is in the store. All co-workers were helpful to know what to do to find what is needed.
Pros
Getting work experince
Cons
hours are not the same day to day for part time work
Friendly and productive environment
Lead floor sales, customer service desk, cashier (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCDecember 1, 2015
A typical day is steady paced with friendly staff and management. You constantly learn about new products so that you can accurately suggest items and boost sales. The hardest part of the job is finding a suitable product when you don't have enough information on the person the item is for. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction that comes with customers enjoying the product I suggest.
Bad. Really bad. Don't work here.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2015
You'd get to work, sign in, if it's busy you go to a till right away, if not you reshop or piece. Or clean. That's all fine and dandy, however, you WILL get yelled at if you don't do something right because you weren't trained to the extent you needed to me. Managment needs to get their stuff together and train their employees better. My co-workers were normally great, however if you're new, and don't know how to do something, don't bother asking. Hardest part of the job? knowing that you weren't trained properly and needed help, but being too scared to say so when the managers will yell at you.