Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews

How To Use A Pallet Jack
Workplace Culture was fine
Most Enjoyable Part Lunch
Benefits
Cons
Bad Management
Busy and fun work environment
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC16 July 2016
Management is very thoughtful and considerate to employees. Annual raises and optional benefits, as well as scholarship opportunities. There are "measurables" that employees are expected to meet, which places some unnecessary pressure. Product is fun, and coworkers keep a good attitude and are very friendly. Can be quite disorganized in the store at times, and customers often complained.
Pros
close food court, kitchen
Cons
schedule is posted last minute
awesome but strict boss
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2016
words can't express how awesome my manager was. It was a seasonal position. At first, she seems strict because she pushes sales sales sales. But training is provided and you soon realise the BPP is a great plan. It's not mandatory that you get the plan but I did. When my son broke his wheel off of his car and I called in and it was replaced. so it's like recycled money.

the work environment is very friendly ad fun. great coworkers but mainly young.
Pros
educational and other benefits, opporunity to grow, training for advancement
Cons
long hours standing
Good working environment and good first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON7 December 2016
Not fantastic, but a great first job to gain customer service and retail experience. Other employees are very friendly and so are the majority of the customers.
Pros
Easy firsy job, a lot of customer service experience
Cons
Management often disorganized, long hours on weekends
Low salary
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC15 April 2016
I worked at Toys R Us for 2 years. While the co-workers were amazing the management team and way the organization is run is dreadful.

I had co-workers that have worked 3 years at Toys R Us and remain at minimum wage all because they aren't selling the Toys R Us protection plan at a high enough percent. All management cares about is selling protection plans and base hours and raises among them. I was able to get a raise in my first year because I sold enough plans but the raise was a mere 10 cents.

In my experience employees start to care less and less about the job once the realize how dead-end it is, and the store suffers in employee engagement by a lot. There is a constant need to hire people because of high turnover.
Pros
Good Co-workers, works around your schedual
Cons
Hours and raises based on selling protection plans
Fast-paced environment, with eager management and staff.
Front of House Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2016
Working at 'Toys 'R' Us' has taught me how to adapt and work in stressful fast-paced environments. As well as mastering key components of customer service skills necessary for other job opportunities. Our duty is to serve and meet the needs of a wide range of clientele. We pride ourselves in taking extreme measures to ensure our customers receive nothing but fantastic service!
Working alongside a large group of team members has made the experience enjoyable and has enhanced my teamwork skills.
Our group of management directors meet the general standard of a successful work environment.
The most enjoyable aspect of my position would be working in partnership with major corporations e.g.(Fan Expo 2016).
The most difficult aspect, would be communicating efficiently with young children.
Pros
Gain excellent customer service skills by working with diverse groups of people.
Cons
Unstable hours, and shifting.
Toys
Lead Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC18 October 2016
You must sell insurance on toys, strollers, anything mechanical or electrical, including software and action figures. It is great for some items like pumps, strollers, however they force it upon fisher-price toys. It's also very unrealistic to base a job off selling insurance when they don't even earn commission of those sales. Literally you are expected to keep up these numbers or else your job is at risk, even management. There are no incentives and customers get angry with bombardments of insurance and in turn act worse than normal.

Customers are often rude and quick to accuse staff for situations out of their control, e.g - Why isn't x toy/product in stock? What am I supposed to do now for a Christmas present? (Two days before Christmas, even!)

Some coworkers were unbearable at that location, mainly certain management or older workers. Most younger generations were agreeable.

Typically my day was running one side of the store, usually Babies R Us, as customer service, where you will be alone for most of the day, maybe pulling a floor associate a couple times to help when the line up occasionally gets too long, depending on the time of year.

If you can avoid ringing people through on the cash system, the company is great to work for.
Pros
Small discount, work with toys
Cons
Must sell insurance or risk job security, customers and management will treat you badly
Amazing people to work with and for
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON29 December 2016
Always on the go, helping customers, creating a happy fun environment for the customers. Management is awesome always around when you need a hand. Co-workers are super fun people to work with. My hardest part of my job will be leaving when the season is finished. Most enjoyable part of my job all the babies I get to see.
Pros
Amazing people to work with and for
Horrible
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 February 2017
Management does the bare minimum and coworkers don't have each others backs. Constant gossiping and bashing of employees. No training, have to sell insurance plans so managers can get their bonus but there is no benefit to employees to do this, it just makes customers hate you. We're always understaffed except when head office is visiting then we pretend like the store is run properly.
Pros
Flexible, management is passive so you rarely get punished for anything
Cons
Disrespectful Coworkers, lazy management and understaffed
Worst company to work for ever
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former) (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON23 October 2016
The store director is an idiot the other managers are fine, but he is an egotistical jerk who cares only about his prestige with the higher ups

They treat employees like slaves, care more about add ons than anything else.

Benefits suck

They take hours away for no reason

Hours are horrible for the pittance employees are paid

My advice work somewhere else
Cons
It'sa very nice place to work!
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON1 February 2017
Its a very nice place to work! I have a very good experience ! People is friendly! A good start for you young people!
The only problem is if you are looking to make money this is not the right place to do it! Working tgere Is just to make -an extra money, not to make a living from there.
But over all i would say i enjoy working there!
Pros
Peaceful envitoment! Friendly managment and coworkers
Cons
Low salary, low hours
Fun, but has it's issue like any other retail store
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2017
The work was difficult at times, but your co-workers and managers would determine your working environment.

For instance, if a manager were to be frustrated about his or her boss coming for a visit. His or her feelings would definitely be reflected in the overall attitude of management.
Poorly Managed
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON4 February 2017
Job was simple enough although managements difficultly handling it made me wonder sometimes. Management couldn't manage scheduling people within their availability often conflicting with peoples school schedules, multiple managers didn't know how to do basic everyday tasks therefore new employees had to figure out how things work on their own.
Fun atmosphere, team work.
Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  calgary alberta1 November 2016
A typical day at work would be fun, challenging, fast paced and rewarding. We could all strive to work a team to achieve our desired goals. Learn about your customer base. the hardest part about the job is long hours. The most enjoyable is helping the customers and working as a team to help the company succeed.
Was a great experience for me.
Warehouse associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON27 January 2017
I've moved laterally and up the company in my short lived time in the company.

I've moved from sales and customer service on the floor, to electronics, and eventually warehouse work. And this was done thanks to the effort of management and fellow employees.
Pros
Entertaining Management
Cons
Long commute
Awesome Winter Temp Experience
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 January 2017
Although I was a winter temp,I really loved the staff, and atmosphere. The winter rush wasn't so stressful because of awesome organization with line management. The management there work their butts of and you feel a lot more motivated seeing their involvement and lead by example.
Can be fun if you care less about hours.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON2 September 2016
They will use you until they feel you are no longer an asset, no matter how hard you work. Then your hours go down the hole..
They only care about numbers and how good you can make management look. Other than that they really don't give a stink about their employees. Do them favors and you get nothing in return.
If you are looking for steady hours, this is not the place to be.
Store is so unorganized and scheduling is brutally bad. Customers complain all the time that there is NO employees on the floor.
When there is shortage on the floor (which is often) they expect you to be a machine and do everything.
There is no training for anything other than working cash.
Do not work here!!
BTW the one thing I guess I learned working there is I trained myself to get less frustrated and more patient. I cannot say the same for many others that quit.
Pros
meeting new firend's. finding something a child is looking for and putting a smile on their face.
Cons
some management. hours are too up and down. Christmas time offers good hours, but trust me it is not worth it. People are rude, you run around stressing yourself too death, and they dump you end of season.
Fun and open environment workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 January 2017
Although seasonal, I enjoyed my time spent working there. The open environment allows for everyone to feel safe and comfortable with opening up to one another. Management was especially good, bonded with workers instead of simply Micro managing.
Good staff
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 December 2016
Pretty good overall, a good coworkers and management. Hours are ok but shift exchanges are easy, for more hours. Most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with coworkers and the friends i have made there.
Pros
The coworkers
Cons
not enough ours sometimes
Great management team
Customer Service Representative / Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 January 2017
Clients can be difficult, but also amazing.
The hours aren't particularly long, but closing can be.
The people you work with are wonderful, as well as the management staff.