Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews

Stressful during Christmas
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 May 2017
Great managers, hours were hard to get covered at times. Working there in the summer is MUCH better than the winter because parents and children alike go crazy during Christmas and treat the store like garbage.
Very accommodating for students but not enough hours
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 May 2017
The workplace was fairly easy-going as traffic of customers fluctuated based on months. They were very accommodating for my schedule as a student however hours were slim when hours were wanted. Pay was typical part-time pay
Pros
good environment
Cons
No enough hours
great environment
sales (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON15 May 2017
I worked in the back handling and cleaning up the boxes, worked with great people who i am now still friends with today. kept me very busy as i worked around christmas time.
Pros
very good with hours
fun place to work
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 May 2017
i enjoyed working with the management teams and team members i learned that you can move up in the company and i have worked for the company at store 3555 for several years
Fun workplace environment
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 May 2017
A typical day at Toys R Us was starting out with checking all the aisles to make sure they are neat and then letting customers in and restock shelves till it got busy. I learned how to do price checks at different stores and how to up sell on certain items. Management was kinda all over the place, you'd have one person come up to you and tell you to do something then a different manager would come up and say "no don;t do that you have to do this", so at times it was confusing. The hardest part about that job was when it got busy and people were buying a lot of toys so we had to make sure we we're doing everything we're suppose to but at a quicker pace because how many people were lined up. The most enjoyable part about the job was that they didn't care if you had colour hair, cloloured pants, tattoos or even pierces, they wanted you to express yourself and have fun!
Productive and a fun work place
Sales Associate & Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 May 2017
Fun staff members, amazing products to sell. Also good benefits. Always appreciated by everyone and flexible hours. Most enjoyable part is serving kids
was a good place
Driving sales (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 May 2017
worked in express store and the manager at the time was the greatest manager i ever worked for. The company fired him over something dumb, i liked working for him but the company as a whole is whatever
A good first job
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 May 2017
A good experience for starting in the workforce. Strong sales abilities are required. Overall atmosphere is encouraging and positive.
Hours are not the greatest and there is no seniority loyalty for more hours either.
Pros
Encouraging and positive, cross-training, good managers
Cons
Minimal hours
no balance in the schedual, managers/supervisors didnt care about employees
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON4 May 2017
I don't think there was enough balance in the schedule. One week I would have 27 hour and the next week I would have 11 hours. Also when I worked there the supervisors/ managers made me feel replaceable they didn't make me feel like I was wanted there, it wasn't enjoyable to go into work every day.
Not as Fun as You'd Think
World Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK3 May 2017
Pretty simple job with no real learning curve.

Lots of different positions and things to do.

Retail customers can be annoying and everyone seeks special treatment.

There is no guarantee of hours, despite position. Your hours will be cut if you don't meet company goals of charity donations, battery sales, and extended warranty sales.
Pros
Free stuff
Cons
Supports junk charities, punishment of reduced hours
Fun place to work, but don't expect to get anywhere
Merchandiser/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC3 May 2017
was hired for christmas season, existing staff ignored or treated me like a child, regardless of previous retail experience... no real training was ever given... management expects you to clone yourself to get everything done... if you're lucky, the local management might care about their staff, but the company does not. upper management only cares about the stats that get them *their* bonuses, regardless how uncomfortable you are "shaking down" customers for money that goes to corrupt charities. don't expect pay increases, unless you get excited for an extra $10 per month...

honestly, unless you're 15 and living with your parents or a drug dealer looking for legit income, the stress and frustration isn't worth your time.
Pros
co-workers tend to be quirky and fun
Cons
everything else. seriously, read the review
Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL2 May 2017
- Friendly staff
- warehouse can include heavy labour at times
- Management is easy going
- Learned essential customer service skills
- Nice place to work
good first job
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NB2 May 2017
it was my first job and it was a really nice first job to have, it had a decent hours for part time employment but not a place that would be suitable for a permanent job
fun as a part time job as a kid
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC1 May 2017
I was a seasonal employee. I had no expectations. I was a student who just needed gas for the car. overall I met some fun people and never saw management. when I did they were angry at life
Unacceptable Work Place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON28 April 2017
A typical day at work was focused on warehouse management, store maintenance, shipping and receiving, and lugging heavy merchandise back and forth all throughout the shift. I learned how to utilize my organizational skills as well as became more generally educated on how to perform basic tasks. The hardest part of this job was the lack of proper job sight training and mentorship from upper management.
Pros
My first job
Cons
lack of training and poor leadership
flexible
Cashier/Merch (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2017
Enjoyable, and great coworkers. Gave me countless opportunities to try all departments. I worked hard, and they acknowledged my hard work and allowed me to move around for that reason.
Perfect entry level job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 April 2017
I was hired on after the Christmas season, and working at Toys R Us was the perfect entry level, part-time job for a person like myself with no prior work experience. I learned how to work well under pressure in a fast-paced, (sometimes) high stress environment, and my coworkers and managers were all very laid back. Overall, I am thankful for the experiences I've had working at Toys R Us, but once you learn how to run the customer service desk, there is little room for advancement, hence why it is a great entry level job for students.
Things could get quite stressful on days where things were busy, there were many (good) sales on at a time, and when we would have technical difficulties like registers and/or computer systems all being down or crashing at the same time. Retail can be a great place to interact with lots of different people on a regular basis, and it really helps if you have a positive attitude or you enjoy interacting with people. However, because there are so many people that you are interacting with on a regular basis, there are bound to be some frustrated customers who use you as the outlet to vent their frustrations. This is in every job of course, but this is especially prevalent during the Christmas/holiday season, in which many customers are already frustrated. It can get very stressful, very quickly. This may not be a good job for anyone who does not enjoy kids/babies, or someone who cannot handle when babies/kids cry, scream, and throw tantrums.
Pros
Good hours for students, understanding and accomodating when you have to call in sick/book time off
Cons
High stress environment, very noisy and loud at times, can get overwhelming on very busy days
Fun, happy workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON25 April 2017
-shifts usually began with group meeting
-not always doing the same job (nice to have change)
-management was kind, communicative, understanding and patient
-sometimes dealt with harsh customers
-would be trained in something new, then told not to do said thing and focus on original job
-enjoyed seeing children all day
-good balance of work and play
-fun events held at store, like events where they build toys and take them home, or switch lego characters with employees
Pros
all around good atmosphere majority of the time
Cons
pushing protection plans, sometimes understaffed in Babies R Us section
Mundane job with so/so management.
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON23 April 2017
The best part about working at Toys R Us is the friends you will make and some of the regular customers you get. But, it pretty much ends there. Store events (i.e. meet & greets, play day, lego make & takes) are pretty fun but are far and few - and you will not always be able to participate in them. The customers are ruthless and demanding. Management will always take the customers side if they are being rude to you.

I quit because I couldn't take some of the customer's rude and entitled attitudes while being forced to apologize or deal with it from management because they were too scared to themselves.

An OK part-time job, but sucks if you work 5-7 days a week.
Pros
Sometimes free lunches, store events
Cons
Long hours, rude customers, management
Pretty great for retail
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 April 2017
Toys R Us is a pretty fair company to work for, especially against some of the other retail establishments. Opportunities are there if you want them to be. Staff is usually energetic and friendly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toys 'R' Us. Our community is ready to answer.