Toys 'R' Us

Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Full of Toy and Fun
sales associates (Former Employee), calgary, ABOctober 13, 2014
Pros: good benefit and fun place
Cons: mostly part time work
FUN to work.
If you like toys and kis, this is heaven.
You will be the first person who knows what will be on sale.
Not the best management, easy job
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 8, 2014
Great cashier experience and organization of toys. Not the best managers or supervisors.
average retail experience
World Sales Leader (Current Employee), Burlington, ONSeptember 19, 2014
a good entry level job if youre looking for a few hours, but rarely a career.
All in all, great work place
customer service (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABAugust 29, 2014
Pros: great coworkers, fun environment
Cons: dealing with overly 'jerkish' christmas shopping parents, dealing with rude bosses all the time
I worked here seasonally (for the month of December), but everything was cluttered and a mess. Management and coworkers were all over the place constantly, making for an incredibly stressful work place (like we really needed more stress during the Christmas season). It was an over all fun job...you got to be around toys all day! It definitely brings – more... you back to your childhood. I think that if it wasn't the Christmas season, they would've had their stuff together a little bit more. – less
Seasonal staff (Former Employee), Winnipeg MBAugust 21, 2014
Lifting, sorting, inventory, cleaning.
A decent place to work
Used to be a fun place to work
assistant store manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 10, 2014
Pros: great people and decent discounts for employees
Cons: no hours, emphasis on warranties and head office staff
I'd worked at store level for this company for 9 years working my way up from associate to assistant manager. The first few years were amazing. Employees at all levels were rewarded for meeting certain sales targets and there was a lot of room for advancement. In recent years that no longer exists. Distribution is absolutely atrocious and the flow of – more... product makes no sense. Our location often had many key products out of stock for sometimes months on end and often got advertised items after the sales were over. We did our dilegence and notified the appropriate people CONSTANTLY and they did nothing. They did wonder however, why our sales were always down. Emphasis has been put on toy warranties that at the end of the day No one truely knew what they covered. Payroll has been cut drastically in recent years and has been twisted into an incentive to selling warranties. At the end of the day, great people to work with, awful behind the scenes. – less
Easy going, busy workplace and a fun workplace.
Sales associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Brampton, ONAugust 8, 2014
- A typical day at work for me would be to go straight on cash and try to sell a lot of warranty's for the customers products I sold a lot. I also would fix the register lanes and do a bit of re-shop.
- What I learned:
I learned how to use price guns, how to tag items, learned cash, recalled items and I also learned what products cannot be returned.
- – more... The Management:
They are confused, and unprofessional. Always late on the schedule, hiring new people mean while they are telling the employees like me that they have no hours. I would always get complaints on why they only had one cashier on everyday, especially Friday the busiest day of the week. While I was working there, I never seen them give out monthly awards or certificates or anything that basically congratulates you.
- The hardest part of the job:
I would have to say that the hardest part of the job, was not having any help on cash while the lines had 16 or more people and I couldn't call an employee to help because the floor associates at that time have no experience on cash. When I would call a manager to help me on cash, they would say call someone else.
- The most enjoyable part of the job:
I would have to say working with the customers. I'm great with customer service. – less
was so many years ago but at the time was a great place to work
department manager (Former Employee), richmond, bcAugust 3, 2014
great place to work...understood their employees and needs
very welcoming environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONJuly 28, 2014
ToysRUs treats all employees and customers like family. They constantly praise their employees and have very good disciplinary rules which enforces good performance.
Cashier and other things
Cashier (Part-Time) (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 23, 2014
My day at Toys R Us was always different. I did jobs such as cashier, restocking shelves, helping customers, helping management and bringing in carts.

Since this was a large store there were more then one assistant manager and manager. This led to needing to be adaptive and responsive to various leadership styles. Due to personality you will connect – more... well with some better then others. However it goes a long way in being able to be just as enthusiastic and responsive for all those above your position.

Being able to interact with the public face to face, you need to display energy even when you might not have any. This requires you to be proactive within the team and do your best all the time. This is the way that those above you gain appreciation for you.

At times when the store was extremely busy, it was required to go quickly and accurately in processing purchases at the cash. Being able to multitask is a huge bonus. This can be challenging to learn. It is difficult however I excelled at this due to my attention to detail.

I made some good friends while working at Toys R Us so that would have to be the most enjoyable aspect of the job. At times it got busy and challenging, however since you were part of a solid team, those times were able to pass and I was still able to enjoy the day. – less
Overall good but lots of improvement needed
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 18, 2014
pro's: fun work environment
-meeting great people and assisting children and families find ideal toys and services
-open door access to management and immediate solutions to problems are provided.

con's: -ridiculously low ammount of hours of work per week due to a decline in sales that is on the other hand partly a fault of headoffice and marketing – more... and distribution teams who do not seem to listen to the demands of the customers and simply do not supply adequate lines of products. – less
Fun workplace with great people
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJuly 11, 2014
Typical day at work consisted of cleaning up, restocking, customer, and customer service. I learned how to work in a retail store. Management was very good, work was well organized. Co-workers were helpful and friendly. hardest part of the job was dealing with unfriendly customers. Most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers and working with – more... others. – less
fun workplace,
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 10, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: long hours
a typical day working at Toys R us as a Over Night Stocker was a good job I liked it, the hours you get use to fast if you like fast pace environments, I learned how to price products, management was good and I understood what they wanted to be done. the co-workers were just as good no one was arguing with anyone everyone got a long I don't think there – more... was any arguing or conflict when I worked there and I enjoyed to job because it was fast pace and I knew what I had to do so I got it done as fast as I can to do more – less
Fun Place to work but Repititve
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2014
Work is often fairly simple in engaging with customers and helping them in their inquiries related to toys and games. Management is quite straightforward but lacks organization and a systematic way of dealing with scheduling hours and managing pay roll. Co-workers are very cooperative and get along with each other really well.
Work Experience
Customer Service (Former Employee), SurreyJuly 6, 2014
Nice co-workers. Fun place. You meet a variety of people. Great Location
welcoming environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Markham, ONJuly 4, 2014
Pros: good work experience
Cons: few shifts, few breaks, busy in waves, low amount of associates on duty
Very busy especially during seasonal hours. Ive learned best how to multitask both physically and mentally. It was however very welcoming and the team was enjoyable to work with.
Fun place productive and carreer development
Store Manager (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJune 29, 2014
Pros: great culture
Cons: long hours but it pays
It has been one of the best company I worked with. Training re provided in all aspect of store management level personality and working habits to customer care and services.

Treating people with respect and admiring skills and talents with little small rewards which is very meaningful, one's value in the team. I was well compensated as a new be in – more... the company. This is the reason why I wanted to work with Toys R US again if given a chance.

There's fun in both work and personnel interactive coaching and mentoring. Leadership skill are well develop with different in house programs. – less
Summary of working at Toys R us as a Supervisor.
Key Carrier (Current Employee), Guelph, ONJune 24, 2014
Pros: work parties, benfits, fun enviornment
Cons: not enough hours available
I have worked at Toys R Us for just over 3 years now and I love it so much, it's a great company to work for. Within 2 months of being hired as a cashier I was promoted to Key Carrier. This position meant that I had my own store key and was responsible for opening and sometimes closing the store. Every morning I would have to count all the tills, input – more... all amounts, calculate the till float, prepare deposit and fill out a ton of paper work. It seems complicated but it was actually really fun and easy after a few mornings. the remainder of my shifts I was responsible for all other employees (excluding manager when he was on duty), receiving shipments and merchandising products to fit the company`s standards and rules.
If there were any issues in the store, with employees or with customers I was the one who would be called to handle them.

Toys R Us is a fantastic company to work for, they are flexible, non biased, easy going with schedules and schedule changes and all around a fun place to be! – less
▪Customer Service: Hard worker, responsible for returns and exchanges, worked hard for daily cashier goals, cheerful worker always willing to help out
Customer Service/ Cashier (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCJune 23, 2014
Pros: 30 min lunch, good employees and managers
Although I was only there for seasonal everyone was very friendly, kind and open to new associates. I was working customer service at Christmas times, yet still hectic i had a good time. I made my daily goals and could close tills by myself. If i didnt have to move i was going to move onto customer service supervisor.
Fast-paced environment, nice co-workers
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 23, 2014
Pros: free lunches, good hours, nice co-workers
Cons: if you were scheduled until 10:00pm you'd sometimes stay till 12:00am, they said they would keep you after christmas season was done but they didn't, add-on sales expectations were too high
A typical day at work would be having a staff-meeting before we opened the doors. The manager on duty at that time would tell us all (if you were working evenings) what places we would be piecing (bringing the merch. to the front of the shelves/cleaning the floors) for example, someone would be piecing girls, someone would be piecing boys, etc., then – more... if we were working days or evenings, he'd tell us what cash register we'd be working on, and then he'd tell us to try and meet the goal for the add on sales, and then we'd go to work.
If you weren't on cash register 1 or 2, you'd immediately take a cart full of returned merchandise and find where each item goes (unless the packaging was damaged). Then for the rest of your shift you'd find misplaced merchandise and bring it back to its correct spot, help customers, and sometimes you were called to cash if the lines were long.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers, I met a lot of nice people there and it was sad to leave. Also, the managers bought pizza and pop for us so that was cool.

Hardest part of the job was the add-on sales. If you weren't meeting the expectation they'd yell at you.

Most of the co-workers were very friendly, but there were a few who would get annoyed if you asked them a question. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Toys 'R' Us

Toys“R”Us, Inc. is the world’s leading dedicated toy and juvenile products retailer, offering a differentiated – Read more