Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews

Busy and fun work environment
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC16 July 2016
Management is very thoughtful and considerate to employees. Annual raises and optional benefits, as well as scholarship opportunities. There are "measurables" that employees are expected to meet, which places some unnecessary pressure. Product is fun, and coworkers keep a good attitude and are very friendly. Can be quite disorganized in the store at times, and customers often complained.
Pros
close food court, kitchen
Cons
schedule is posted last minute
awesome but strict boss
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2016
words can't express how awesome my manager was. It was a seasonal position. At first, she seems strict because she pushes sales sales sales. But training is provided and you soon realise the BPP is a great plan. It's not mandatory that you get the plan but I did. When my son broke his wheel off of his car and I called in and it was replaced. so it's like recycled money.

the work environment is very friendly ad fun. great coworkers but mainly young.
Pros
educational and other benefits, opporunity to grow, training for advancement
Cons
long hours standing
Low salary
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC15 April 2016
I worked at Toys R Us for 2 years. While the co-workers were amazing the management team and way the organization is run is dreadful.

I had co-workers that have worked 3 years at Toys R Us and remain at minimum wage all because they aren't selling the Toys R Us protection plan at a high enough percent. All management cares about is selling protection plans and base hours and raises among them. I was able to get a raise in my first year because I sold enough plans but the raise was a mere 10 cents.

In my experience employees start to care less and less about the job once the realize how dead-end it is, and the store suffers in employee engagement by a lot. There is a constant need to hire people because of high turnover.
Pros
Good Co-workers, works around your schedual
Cons
Hours and raises based on selling protection plans
Good working environment and good first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON7 December 2016
Not fantastic, but a great first job to gain customer service and retail experience. Other employees are very friendly and so are the majority of the customers.
Pros
Easy firsy job, a lot of customer service experience
Cons
Management often disorganized, long hours on weekends
Toys
Lead Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC18 October 2016
You must sell insurance on toys, strollers, anything mechanical or electrical, including software and action figures. It is great for some items like pumps, strollers, however they force it upon fisher-price toys. It's also very unrealistic to base a job off selling insurance when they don't even earn commission of those sales. Literally you are expected to keep up these numbers or else your job is at risk, even management. There are no incentives and customers get angry with bombardments of insurance and in turn act worse than normal.

Customers are often rude and quick to accuse staff for situations out of their control, e.g - Why isn't x toy/product in stock? What am I supposed to do now for a Christmas present? (Two days before Christmas, even!)

Some coworkers were unbearable at that location, mainly certain management or older workers. Most younger generations were agreeable.

Typically my day was running one side of the store, usually Babies R Us, as customer service, where you will be alone for most of the day, maybe pulling a floor associate a couple times to help when the line up occasionally gets too long, depending on the time of year.

If you can avoid ringing people through on the cash system, the company is great to work for.
Pros
Small discount, work with toys
Cons
Must sell insurance or risk job security, customers and management will treat you badly
Fast-paced environment, with eager management and staff.
Front of House Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2016
Working at 'Toys 'R' Us' has taught me how to adapt and work in stressful fast-paced environments. As well as mastering key components of customer service skills necessary for other job opportunities. Our duty is to serve and meet the needs of a wide range of clientele. We pride ourselves in taking extreme measures to ensure our customers receive nothing but fantastic service!
Working alongside a large group of team members has made the experience enjoyable and has enhanced my teamwork skills.
Our group of management directors meet the general standard of a successful work environment.
The most enjoyable aspect of my position would be working in partnership with major corporations e.g.(Fan Expo 2016).
The most difficult aspect, would be communicating efficiently with young children.
Pros
Gain excellent customer service skills by working with diverse groups of people.
Cons
Unstable hours, and shifting.
Amazing people to work with and for
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON29 December 2016
Always on the go, helping customers, creating a happy fun environment for the customers. Management is awesome always around when you need a hand. Co-workers are super fun people to work with. My hardest part of my job will be leaving when the season is finished. Most enjoyable part of my job all the babies I get to see.
Pros
Amazing people to work with and for
Cons
Worst company to work for ever
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former) (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON23 October 2016
The store director is an idiot the other managers are fine, but he is an egotistical jerk who cares only about his prestige with the higher ups

They treat employees like slaves, care more about add ons than anything else.

Benefits suck

They take hours away for no reason

Hours are horrible for the pittance employees are paid

My advice work somewhere else
Cons
Fun atmosphere, team work.
Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  calgary alberta1 November 2016
A typical day at work would be fun, challenging, fast paced and rewarding. We could all strive to work a team to achieve our desired goals. Learn about your customer base. the hardest part about the job is long hours. The most enjoyable is helping the customers and working as a team to help the company succeed.
Can be fun if you care less about hours.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON2 September 2016
They will use you until they feel you are no longer an asset, no matter how hard you work. Then your hours go down the hole..
They only care about numbers and how good you can make management look. Other than that they really don't give a stink about their employees. Do them favors and you get nothing in return.
If you are looking for steady hours, this is not the place to be.
Store is so unorganized and scheduling is brutally bad. Customers complain all the time that there is NO employees on the floor.
When there is shortage on the floor (which is often) they expect you to be a machine and do everything.
There is no training for anything other than working cash.
Do not work here!!
BTW the one thing I guess I learned working there is I trained myself to get less frustrated and more patient. I cannot say the same for many others that quit.
Pros
meeting new firend's. finding something a child is looking for and putting a smile on their face.
Cons
some management. hours are too up and down. Christmas time offers good hours, but trust me it is not worth it. People are rude, you run around stressing yourself too death, and they dump you end of season.
productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON3 October 2016
The company offers flexible hours which is beneficial. Plus the management is supportive in various ways. Customer service is essential in retail and working here makes you accustomed with this particular skill. Everyday is different with new challenges which is what I look forward to.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
NOT A lot Of Hours
Awesome Winter Temp Experience
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 January 2017
Although I was a winter temp,I really loved the staff, and atmosphere. The winter rush wasn't so stressful because of awesome organization with line management. The management there work their butts of and you feel a lot more motivated seeing their involvement and lead by example.
Good staff
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 December 2016
Pretty good overall, a good coworkers and management. Hours are ok but shift exchanges are easy, for more hours. Most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with coworkers and the friends i have made there.
Pros
The coworkers
Cons
not enough ours sometimes
Top heavy managment, relies on insurance sales, poor training
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2016
As a part time sales associate/ cashier you can be expected to run cash, direct customers to desired product and tidy fixtures.

You are also expected to keep up a percentage of BPP sales on anything with mechanical or moving parts, INCLUDING toys and products which already come with the manufactures insurance. For bikes and electronics this is reasonable, however for everything else it's a complete waste of money for the customer, and you're forced to prey on the ignorant to keep your percentage up. Often times customers are dissatisfied with the prices on their children's toys to begin with, and become even more upset when pushed to spend $100 on insurance for something their kid isn't going to use for more than a year anyway.

Management is also extremely top heady, I had something like 5 managers working at my location, and most of them were in their early 20's, barely doing more than the 17 year old cashiers working under them. furthermore, the training was carried out by other cashiers, leading most of the staff to be trained poorly. I had no idea what to do for the first month I worked there simply because I was "trained" for 2 4 hour shifts and left to stumble through hoops on my own.
Pros
easy to get hired, meager discount
Cons
not allowed to take your scheduled break most of the time, poor training, poor management, BPPs
Loved working here.
Floor/Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 December 2016
It was my first job and my favorite job. Loved helping customers, management team was great and it really is a relaxed kind of job.
productive and fun
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON14 December 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to create new friendships through the staff and the customers.

The hardest part of the job is that you have to know how to deal with multiple things in one call. When I get paged, along the way, there would usually be customers asking for assistance, and I wouldn't want them to feel misunderstood and ignored, so I try to help them as fast as I can before answering the page back.

The co workers were polite and they were willing to help whenever I needed them.
Pros
I get to learn how to do things fast and efficiently
Cons
Sometimes it was hard to multitask paging while I'm helping the customer.
Productive and enjoyable place to be employed at.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Maple, ON27 December 2016
environment very easily adapted to. Easy group to work with, overall good place to be employed. Learned a variety about toys and baby products. Management is very accommodating and understanding,
good place to work
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON31 October 2016
The management at the Toys 'R' Us at Burlington, Ontario is very good. They strongly believe in working safe and respecting one another. It is a good place to work.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Low wage
Typical Day at Toys R us
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON29 May 2016
One of my first jobs working and i can honestly say that I am glad that I worked at this job. I learnt many skills such as punctuality, responsibility, and general work skills. Throughout this job I met many co-workers that were always friendly, and lent a helping hand all around. Management was always willing to help out no matter what the case, with their employees, teach them what they need to know and safety. The hardest part of this job were the non-stop long chaotic Christmas hours. The most enjoyable part was the sense of accomplishment that followed after a long day.
Pros
Hour Lunches, Understanding managers
Cons
lots of seasonal employment
if you liked highschool youll love Toys R US
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2017
Co-workers and management was a complete joke at the location I worked for. Definitely favoritism going on and a lot of childish games.