Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews in Canada

fun workplace and very rewarding with the kid clientele
Chef de monde, Service à la clientèle et caissière (Former Employee) –  Laval, QCFebruary 23, 2016
Most days I would supervise the cashiers and the customer service employees. I would assist on cash and anywhere else that would be required. The atmosphere is just what you would think, pleasant and heartfelt. There is no way to explain the satisfaction of being able to assist a child in finding the perfect toy or a parent that isn't sure about a gift.
Pros
steady hours, the clientele
Cons
Salary and Holiday rush
Fun environment but management response to my concerns were not that great.
Sales Associate, Temp-Cashier and Merchandiser. (Former Employee) –  300 Steeles Ave W Thornhill, ONJuly 29, 2015
- Come into work, make sure cash register lines are not excessively long, assist co-workers if they are.

- Merchandise new shipments of products in all sections of the store, as well as keeping the store clean

- Assist customers to the best of my ability

- Co-workers were great and responsive to the store's needs

- Some issues with management, but a few were extremely nice and helpful

- Hardest part: Cleaning the entire store on my own because of lack of employee presence during the week-shifts

- Most Enjoyable Part: Satisfaction of doing a good job and having the excellent work done recognized by the Management on a daily basis.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, benefits, fun and fast paced environment
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and fun workplace with bad managers.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 8, 2016
A typical day at Toys 'R' Us would be restocking toys half of the time and helping customers the other half. I learned how to communicate better with people since the job requires you to help customers. The managers at the store were not the nicest and did not give me proper training for the job and didn't pay me on my first day (training day). The co-workers were very friendly, and very respectful. The hardest part of the job was having to restock the toys because there was just so many toys out of place that it took a long time before we got everything organized and was allowed to leave. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers and making them feel wanted and respected.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes, 15% discount on everything in the store, co-workers were respectful and friendly.
Cons
Long hours, walking around a lot, managers, dealing with rude customers.
Productive, and team orientated
A/P Merchandise Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Concord OntarioAugust 31, 2015
The management was mostly team orientated, and all departments worked well together. The benefits and pay were fair, and they always hired from within. Hardest part of all was "season" but the company seemed appreciative off all efforts.
Pros
Got to see up and coming new products
Cons
Long hours in winter months
Relaxed environment where staff is treated respectfully
Seasonal Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 16, 2016
I only worked for Toys 'R' Us for a few weeks as a seasonal associate, but I enjoyed my time there. I worked during the last 2 months of my pregnancy and the managers and other associates were very kind and flexible when it came to doctor's appointments or other challenges I faced.

The hardest part of the job was standing for long hours, especially because I was pregnant at the time. Manager on duty would periodically check on me if I had a shift over 6 hours and sometimes switch me from cash to floor so that I could walk around and stretch my legs.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the other staff and customers. I learn a lot from people and conversation and as a cashier I often had time to chat briefly with customers while ringing through their items.

As this was not my first job as cashier, there were not any specific skills I needed to be taught, however as the years have passed I have grown more comfortable in talking to strangers and would say I am now very confident in starting conversation.
Pros
close to home, flexible hours
Cons
long hours standing
A part-time place to get by
Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 15, 2015
A heavy weight is placed on selling measurables without compensation.
Management tends to not communicate as well as they possibly could, internally and with employees.
Thrown to the wolves when it comes to training but employees are helpful and understanding.
Potential to build good communication skills with the need to help so many customers with varying needs and understanding.
Cons
No strict end time when closing the store
Low salary
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCApril 15, 2016
I worked at Toys R Us for 2 years. While the co-workers were amazing the management team and way the organization is run is dreadful.

I had co-workers that have worked 3 years at Toys R Us and remain at minimum wage all because they aren't selling the Toys R Us protection plan at a high enough percent. All management cares about is selling protection plans and base hours and raises among them. I was able to get a raise in my first year because I sold enough plans but the raise was a mere 10 cents.

In my experience employees start to care less and less about the job once the realize how dead-end it is, and the store suffers in employee engagement by a lot. There is a constant need to hire people because of high turnover.
Pros
Good Co-workers, works around your schedual
Cons
Hours and raises based on selling protection plans
It was a good overall experiance.
Cashier/ Floor assosiate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 15, 2016
I had fun. I got the hang of the job on the first day. I passed the set goals that my employer had set for all of the employers almost every day. I learned how to work a cash register, how to deal with upset customers and how to properly peace the shelves. When I worked at Toys R Us it was on a seasonal contract and it was around Christmas time, so the lines were very long, I learned how to deal with the customers when they were very irritated and stressed out. I liked all of my co-workers and we all got along very well. The hardest part of the job was to deal with the customers when they would yell and be rude towards me, but I handled it well. The most enjoyable part of the job was that me and my co-workers all got along and we all worked as a team to get through the day.
Pros
Free breaks, Able to switch from cash to floor assosiate
Cons
Seasonal contract
Loud fast paced enviornment
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMarch 8, 2016
A typical day at work would be to pick and pack skids, scan the manifests and load the trailers. I learned how to work quickly and efficiently within a timely manner. Management was next to non existent since I barely saw them. co-workers were often friendly and diverse. The hardest part of the job was pace I had to maintain I was quickly and constantly moving around. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about various different positions from other workers.
Pros
diverse work environment
Cons
constantly moving around
Typical Day at Toys R us
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONMay 29, 2016
One of my first jobs working and i can honestly say that I am glad that I worked at this job. I learnt many skills such as punctuality, responsibility, and general work skills. Throughout this job I met many co-workers that were always friendly, and lent a helping hand all around. Management was always willing to help out no matter what the case, with their employees, teach them what they need to know and safety. The hardest part of this job were the non-stop long chaotic Christmas hours. The most enjoyable part was the sense of accomplishment that followed after a long day.
Pros
Hour Lunches, Understanding managers
Cons
lots of seasonal employment
Fast-paced but fun environment
Babies "R" Us Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 17, 2016
The environment at Toys "R" Us was rather fun and exciting, being able to see the new offers that come out each week. It was fast-paced but employees were always willing to teach and help. My co-workers were lovely people who made the experience much more comfortable. The management did touch on a sensitive topic for me that was out of my control, but it was resolved fairly quickly. The most enjoyable part of the job was putting a smile on everyone's faces.
Pros
Half an hour lunches
Cons
Sometimes had to work 9-10 hours
Excellent working environment and many different roles to suit the interest of employees. Managers are great and always there to help.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 5, 2016
I had worked at ToysRUs and BabiesRUs for about 6 years and due to this, I was given the opportunity to try out many different departments and gain experience from all. The managers were very friendly and helpful when they needed to be. My colleagues were very friendly and we quickly became a family. Albeit sometimes understaffed, the training and knowledge we had gained translated well when getting through the day as our customers went home satisfied. Working one on one with the customers helped us build a relationship with customers so we could make sure they go home with products that suits their particular needs.
Enjoyable work environment, nice co-workers.
500/Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 25, 2016
Depending on if the shift was in the morning or evening would a typical day at Toys R Us would involve prepping the store for open, making sure it is ready for customers. Once doors are opened focus shifts to assisting customers to the best of your ability and essentially stays that way until near close. Then cleaning up and organizing the store becomes another focus. The co-workers were for the most part similar in age, 15-20 years of age. All quite nice and the managers were also good.
Pros
Agreeable system for shift changes.
Cons
Long hours, occasionally monotonous work.
Intermediate Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2016
Corporate office is a great place to work. They put in a lot of effort to create a work life balance. There is no politics or back stabbing. It is like a close society where everyone knows everybody.
productive and fun work enviroment
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 8, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Pros
great people
awesome but strict boss
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 12, 2016
words can't express how awesome my manager was. It was a seasonal position. At first, she seems strict because she pushes sales sales sales. But training is provided and you soon realise the BPP is a great plan. It's not mandatory that you get the plan but I did. When my son broke his wheel off of his car and I called in and it was replaced. so it's like recycled money.

the work environment is very friendly ad fun. great coworkers but mainly young.
Pros
educational and other benefits, opporunity to grow, training for advancement
Cons
long hours standing
Good First Job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2016
Working at Toys R Us was my very first job and I really liked it. Co-workers were really friendly and nice as well as the managers and most of the time you're either on the cash register or on the floor helping customers and reorganizing products that are misplaced.
Pros
Everyone there is friendly
Positive work environment
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 13, 2015
. Typical day at work consists of coming in for night shift and unloading the tractor trailer, so colleagues can put product out on the floor.
. Toys R us has a positive and welcoming company culture.
. Management are very laid back and always try to accommodate staff.
. Hardest part of the job is getting the truck unloaded before the end of the shift.
. Most enjoyable part of the job is playing with the toys on down time.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Working Night, and low wages
Horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 31, 2016
Bogus. Managers are horrendous to customers and employees. They will find excuses to fire you no matter how well youre doing. Personally there was a conspiracy about calling in and complimenting myself from 4 different phone numbers.
Pros
15 percent discount
Cons
Long hours, over worked, no lunch on certain days, managers treat you like garbage, there isnt a single manager that will treat you as a human instead of a working machine
Unorganized, Zero Communication
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONNovember 18, 2015
I received no training - when asking for help management would push you aside and do it. I learned nothing.
Managers did not communicate. When completing a task for one manager another would come and ask why you were doing it and tell you to stop.
Got called a liar because no one I asked wanted to pay extra for a protection plan or a donation so I must not have asked at all.
Break room was disgusting, store is unorganized, managers are rude and treat you as just a number not an employee. It's no wonder there's such a huge turnover. Very disappointed in my experience there. TRU lost an employee and a customer.