Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews

fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON4 December 2016
Cashiers assist Toys R Us managers with customer satisfaction and work to leave every customer satisfied with the toy shopping experience.friendly co- workers .great manegment
So much fun
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON29 November 2016
Best job i EVER had, so much fun, great people and happy customers, how could you not have fun at a toy store!? i woke up everyday excited to go into work :)
Fast-paced environment, with eager management and staff.
Front of House Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2016
Working at 'Toys 'R' Us' has taught me how to adapt and work in stressful fast-paced environments. As well as mastering key components of customer service skills necessary for other job opportunities. Our duty is to serve and meet the needs of a wide range of clientele. We pride ourselves in taking extreme measures to ensure our customers receive nothing but fantastic service!
Working alongside a large group of team members has made the experience enjoyable and has enhanced my teamwork skills.
Our group of management directors meet the general standard of a successful work environment.
The most enjoyable aspect of my position would be working in partnership with major corporations e.g.(Fan Expo 2016).
The most difficult aspect, would be communicating efficiently with young children.
Pros
Gain excellent customer service skills by working with diverse groups of people.
Cons
Unstable hours, and shifting.
Top heavy managment, relies on insurance sales, poor training
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2016
As a part time sales associate/ cashier you can be expected to run cash, direct customers to desired product and tidy fixtures.

You are also expected to keep up a percentage of BPP sales on anything with mechanical or moving parts, INCLUDING toys and products which already come with the manufactures insurance. For bikes and electronics this is reasonable, however for everything else it's a complete waste of money for the customer, and you're forced to prey on the ignorant to keep your percentage up. Often times customers are dissatisfied with the prices on their children's toys to begin with, and become even more upset when pushed to spend $100 on insurance for something their kid isn't going to use for more than a year anyway.

Management is also extremely top heady, I had something like 5 managers working at my location, and most of them were in their early 20's, barely doing more than the 17 year old cashiers working under them. furthermore, the training was carried out by other cashiers, leading most of the staff to be trained poorly. I had no idea what to do for the first month I worked there simply because I was "trained" for 2 4 hour shifts and left to stumble through hoops on my own.
Pros
easy to get hired, meager discount
Cons
not allowed to take your scheduled break most of the time, poor training, poor management, BPPs
Working at Toys R Us
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS10 November 2016
I learn how to make orders online
I did cashier and customer service
Answered phone calls
Cleaning
Mark Ups and Mark Downs

I enjoy the friends I did make and the help that they gave me.
Pros
Great shifts and availability
Cons
Never making the last bus when the store ended
Seasonal warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON7 November 2016
Great place to work. I Recommend it to anyone who applies. Had allot of fun in a professional way working there. Worked warehouse.
Managers and directors
Babies r us (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON4 November 2016
Working at toys r u terrible place to work for managers are rude awful hours sucks directors need to actually do something
Fun atmosphere, team work.
Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  calgary alberta1 November 2016
A typical day at work would be fun, challenging, fast paced and rewarding. We could all strive to work a team to achieve our desired goals. Learn about your customer base. the hardest part about the job is long hours. The most enjoyable is helping the customers and working as a team to help the company succeed.
good place to work
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON31 October 2016
The management at the Toys 'R' Us at Burlington, Ontario is very good. They strongly believe in working safe and respecting one another. It is a good place to work.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Low wage
hard working place, people respect efficient worker
Full-time Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON26 October 2016
very hard working place, dont care about job safety, people have some racism attitude to asian people. benefit ok, too many temps, not willing to hire more fulltimer
Worst company to work for ever
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former) (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON23 October 2016
The store director is an idiot the other managers are fine, but he is an egotistical jerk who cares only about his prestige with the higher ups

They treat employees like slaves, care more about add ons than anything else.

Benefits suck

They take hours away for no reason

Hours are horrible for the pittance employees are paid

My advice work somewhere else
Toys
Lead Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC18 October 2016
You must sell insurance on toys, strollers, anything mechanical or electrical, including software and action figures. It is great for some items like pumps, strollers, however they force it upon fisher-price toys. It's also very unrealistic to base a job off selling insurance when they don't even earn commission of those sales. Literally you are expected to keep up these numbers or else your job is at risk, even management. There are no incentives and customers get angry with bombardments of insurance and in turn act worse than normal.

Customers are often rude and quick to accuse staff for situations out of their control, e.g - Why isn't x toy/product in stock? What am I supposed to do now for a Christmas present? (Two days before Christmas, even!)

Some coworkers were unbearable at that location, mainly certain management or older workers. Most younger generations were agreeable.

Typically my day was running one side of the store, usually Babies R Us, as customer service, where you will be alone for most of the day, maybe pulling a floor associate a couple times to help when the line up occasionally gets too long, depending on the time of year.

If you can avoid ringing people through on the cash system, the company is great to work for.
Pros
Small discount, work with toys
Cons
Must sell insurance or risk job security, customers and management will treat you badly
Fun Workplace
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2016
Volunteering at Toy's R Us, gave me that social experience with customers, also gave me that experience with stocking the shelves and price tagging. Toy's R Us is a very welcoming, fun, and safe workplace. Toy's R Us has great employees, all employees were welcoming to me, when I was doing my volunteer work.
Pros
good hours
Cons
small store
Fun workplace overall
Shipper/Receiver (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 October 2016
Overall was a good experiences. Met nice people and always got the job done. Always had to be prepared. My manager was cool very understanding. Stock. Climbing ladders. Shelving. Pricing. Cleaning. Receiving shipment. Hardest part of the job was put everything on the high shelves with the ladder. Co workers were all cool. Best part was the experience
Pros
New experience
Cons
Overnight. Not allowed to leave work after hours. Eating habits
productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON3 October 2016
The company offers flexible hours which is beneficial. Plus the management is supportive in various ways. Customer service is essential in retail and working here makes you accustomed with this particular skill. Everyday is different with new challenges which is what I look forward to.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
NOT A lot Of Hours
Pretty awesome
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC27 September 2016
Great boss happy place. Organized. Helpful. Fun place motivated loving big happy working family looks out for everyone
I didnt like it.
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 September 2016
While most of the employees were people I would consider friends, managemental wasn't entirely nice to me, I didn't get any breaks, and I would do the same thing over and over again.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Didnt get paid like i should.
was great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON17 September 2016
a typical day at work was coming in unloading the truck putting all the toys on the dolly's to stock the shelves also assisting customers who sought help in the store.
FUN- tastic Workplace!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick13 September 2016
Working at Toys R Us, I worked as a cashier, worked in the electronic area and would also stock shelves. The amount of happy children coming in there made my job easy, but it was when the children had to leave the store and would get upset; usually throw toys on their way out. No matter how fun this job may of been, it was also a difficult job at times as well.
Can be fun if you care less about hours.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON2 September 2016
They will use you until they feel you are no longer an asset, no matter how hard you work. Then your hours go down the hole..
They only care about numbers and how good you can make management look. Other than that they really don't give a stink about their employees. Do them favors and you get nothing in return.
If you are looking for steady hours, this is not the place to be.
Store is so unorganized and scheduling is brutally bad. Customers complain all the time that there is NO employees on the floor.
When there is shortage on the floor (which is often) they expect you to be a machine and do everything.
There is no training for anything other than working cash.
Do not work here!!
BTW the one thing I guess I learned working there is I trained myself to get less frustrated and more patient. I cannot say the same for many others that quit.
Pros
meeting new firend's. finding something a child is looking for and putting a smile on their face.
Cons
some management. hours are too up and down. Christmas time offers good hours, but trust me it is not worth it. People are rude, you run around stressing yourself too death, and they dump you end of season.