Toyota Employee Reviews

Good pay, long hours
Quality Control - Vehicle Performance (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON22 September 2015
6:15-3:45 on days and 5:45-4:15 on afternoons. Possible for advancement, though it takes a long time.
There are 4 year contracts in order to get hired full time.
Pros
Good benefits
20 years well spent
Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 September 2015
I found toyota to be the best product on the market, the company support was incredible. I enjoyed the courses provided by toyota to make my job an absolute pleasure.
No time for friends or family. Your opinion doesn't matter.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON26 July 2015
Rotating shifts. Two weeks of days and two weeks of nights. Day shift has a much more uptight feeling. Lots of MGMT walking around so everyone plays by the rules but only to impress MGMT. Night shift things get a little more slack, like having coffee near the assembly line and having a backpack near the assembly line.

You are not given or allowed any kind of fan(s) near your job process. If im putting parts in a car while im on a ruku seat (seat the is attached to an arm that is propelled by the assembler into the car) it gets very hot inside the car. It gets extremely hot while working so you must stay hydrated. Drinking lots of water makes you have to go to the bathroom more frequently but when you ask to go to the bathroom you can wait anywhere from 10 minutes to over an hour. Team leaders will go around and talk to people and complain when they have to do a repair on a car or help someone assembling the car. The team leaders will insist they are too busy to cover you for a bathroom break but they will go and just stand by someone and talk to them for 10 minutes meanwhile they could have been covering you for a bathroom break.
If you get soar or hurt on a job installing parts the team leaders and group leaders dont care. They will tell you when you get home to ice what ever hurts and put ruba535 on it. They are supposed to schedule for physiotherapy if you are hurting from one specific job 3 days in a row but they never send you to physio. Instead they put you on that job more often like twice a day to make your life difficult. Team leaders dont do their job. Awful MGMT.
  more... No one listens to team members because they are looked at like dogs. Favoritism is a huge problem too at TMMC. Certain team members wont have to wait for a bathroom break or they get a very good job rotation all the time while other TM's have to wait an average of 35 mins to use the bathrooom and could be put on 2 jobs all day even thought they know 5. Extremely long hours and no one says thank you for your hard work. If there is a defect caught this could have caused a major problem you could be awarded with "catch of the week", Some meaningless thing to keep team members catching defects while they work. No one ever gets it though. They hardly say thank you if you catch a defect then they complain because they have to tag the car or have to fix the defect. I could go on and on and on and on about how backwards this place is. No one cares about you there except you. Watch your back because people are out to get you for no reason.

I would never suggest anyone applying there. No one is happy there.
Pros
Lots of money but money is not happiness.
Cons
Long hours, Miserable people, bad leadership, bad working conditions.
very repetitive
Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON29 June 2015
very short pitches alot of favortisim co workers harassed everyone on an hourly basis i was way to short for the line i was assigned to was way to tall for my height
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Great place to work, as long as you understand the culture
Assembly Worker (Current Employee) –  South Plant, Lexus23 June 2015
I believe that working at Toyota has given me the greatest quality of life I have ever known. Toyota is an amazing employer with amazing benefits. However, if you don't understand the automotive culture, you may find yourself disappointed.

If you feel that everything you do should be rewarded, it won't. If you feel positive reinforcement should be used in the workplace, it won't. If you feel that employees, all of them, should be treated equal and given equal opportunities, we don't.

Overall, the contract workers are treated akin to indentured servants, who owe everything to Toyota, and receive no positive feedback at all. But this is the industry as it stands today. This will not change, and if you can accept these simple truths, Toyota is a fantastic place to work.
Pros
Free Lunches, Free Gym, High Salary, Great Benefits
Cons
Long Hours, Little to no say, Mandatory Overtime, No Vacation (contracts), No Dental (contracts)
Hard working, good community, strict rules
Team member located on the assembly line (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, 1055 Fountain St17 June 2015
arrive at 6:15 am on day shift and 5:45 pm on Night shift. Work four intervals of 2 hours, with a break between each interval.
Get to process and build team members section of the door, repeat for entire shift.
Nice cafeteria and some team members. However stay away.
Team member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge16 June 2015
Worked in conveyance for 5 weeks. Most older employees told me to get another job iv I could. At first I thought they were upset at the company. However team leaders are like politicians in that area the only problem is you can't vote for your leaders. Breaks are 15 to 20 minutes lunch is 30. Most Team leaders extend these break times to 15 or more minutes while a team memberr is expected back on time.
As you work very hard and try and keep up you will see team leaders and group leaders gathered up and chatting for a few minutes and while they are chatting you ask yourself what is there exact purpose in this place. Most have no people skills or cannot lead by example. My advice to anyonensure reading this is stay far away and don't do it. I read these comments before I joined and I wish I would have not worked there. They do need a union as for 20 dollars an hour you will be doing the same job as those making 34 an hour. Night shift is a joke and if you have a family stay away or you will loose them.
Pros
Nice cafeteria clean workplace
Cons
Long hours incompetent management and human resources
Good working environment
Budget Invoice Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON8 June 2015
I had a contract position. Everyday had its unique challenges. The work environment and its team members and management contributed to a great work experience.
Continuous Changes
Engineering Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON31 May 2015
Hard to balance family life with work load. Co-workers will put best effort to reach task and obtain best quality. Hardest part of job is not getting training on new areas and no handover packages for work.
Pros
People
Cons
workload expectations
Toyota is an inovative company
Senior Computer Operator (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Canada31 May 2015
Toyota was an innovative company with a lot of attention on customer care and dealers. The whole IT department worked as a team. On a normal day we I would deal with scheduling for the day and night, applying emergency changes, dealing with user scheduling requirements, updating UAT environments and dealing with Sev1 and Sev2 alerts. Toyota used different processes that made the company work efficiently.
I found the management worked will. They were easy to work with and got things done. The people I worked with day to day were excellent. We all got along and apprised each other of activities effecting our team. At times recommendations for changes were not taken even though this is an innovative company. Over all I enjoyed the great people I worked with.
high paced
Engineering Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON29 May 2015
management support required
long hours and high workload for engineering group.
difficult to get support for areas that are not readily accessible for research and mostly OTJ training on your own.
Pros
good team atmosphere
Cons
long hours with min feedback
Very nice people, and very good pay
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON2 May 2015
Toyota was a very good paying job with some really nice people. It is very physically demanding but I got use to it a bit. I only worked there April till the end of August, it was a summer student postion. It was a great opportunity.
Very good place to work!
Shuttle Driver and Lot Attendant (Current Employee) –  Gander, NL14 April 2015
Toyota is a very good place to work! However, I need work that requires more intellect, and challenges me more than being a Shuttle Driver does.

My typical work day is 8:30 to 5:30 with an hour for lunch.

I am learning about Toyota vehicles and some operational methods.

Management is very good!

Co-workers are very good!

Hardest part of the job is lifting for storage 20 inch tires with rims.

Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting and working with new people.
Pros
Excellent health benefits!
Cons
Prefer not to say anything negative.
great team work
Assisted the Service Department (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 April 2015
changing tires, oil changes, brakes, and cleaning shop
learned to be a team player and work well with others. enjoyed my job.
Pros
great hours
Downward Spiral
Student Contract Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 April 2015
Worked as a student contract for 3 years until I graduated and have witnessed the continual degradation of product quality, work conditions, pay rates, and management incompetence. If you're lucky enough to pass their arbitrary hiring system, you'll be stuck destroying your body, losing whatever social/personal relationships you have, and will be stuck making just over half rate of what the permanent team members make. Critical thinking individuals need not apply.
Pros
Mediocre wage
Cons
No more free lunches, arbitrary out of date hiring process, ten year wait until full-rate, mandatory saturday overtime, incompetent management and human resource employees
Extra curricular activities
Sales Executive (Fleet Sales) (Current Employee) –  Bahrain3 April 2015
Working with Toyota itself is a great pleasure, with the qualified Management and co workers behind gives dedication and hard work.
Never make that decision again. Dont recommend working at Toyota
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON2 April 2015
Not worth the money.
Company doesn't care about the well being of there employees, only shareholders.
Long awkward shifts.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no vacation, repetative work
great benefits and salary
SENIOR CREDIT ANALYST (Current Employee) –  toronto27 March 2015
typical work day as any other job
coworkers are great
there isn't much room for advancement
the company is very large and known worldwide
produces great products
work life balance is very limited
Hard work
Production Team Member (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, on18 March 2015
depending on the area you are in it can be easy or extremely hard on your body, long shifts and switching shifts take a toll on family life, and your body, there is opportunity to grow once you become a full time permanent employee but contract lengths of 3-5 years is a long time to go with no holidays, half bonus, no applying for other positions with in the plant, and no job security with 3 month renewable contracts
Pros
good pay, lots of OT if you want it
Cons
3-5 years on contract with no holidays
toyota
Welder Operator (Former Employee) –  cambridge16 March 2015
A typical day in toyota would be walking to my line settting up for the day and then running parts for whatever car we are making at that time