Toyota Employee Reviews in Canada

Toyota will work you to the bone and pay you little for it
TMMC temporary contract worker (Current Employee) –  CambridgeSeptember 6, 2014
Toyota used to be a good place to work in when people got paid competitive wages, good benefits and proper pensions. This has all changed unfortunately, so working there makes no sense at all because you'll destroy your body, will probably get divorced eventually and have nothing to show for it once you retire. Regarding safely, on paper it's important but in reality they don't care.
The health center in the facility is almost useless and favours the company, not you.
Team leaders are supposed to be off line and support the line right away once it goes down but lots of times you are made to wait . They supposedly have other tasks too but you normally see them sitting around doing nothing, chatting it up with other team leaders or going for walks as they are bored. Very difficult to accept when you are on the line watching all this going on.
Turnover for new hires is incredibly high, I've been at the company for 7 months now and so many faces have come and gone it's incredible. They are desperate for new workers as many leave quickly once hired since the new rate of 20 bucks an hour is not enough to keep people working their tail off. People hired 3 years ago and before have much better wages and benefits compared to you and this is difficult to swallow once you start working there.
Pros
free monthly lunches, good co-workers
Cons
lazy team leaders, bad management, low pay, long hours
work / family life balance does not exits at Toyota
team Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONNovember 9, 2015
if you don't want to get hired on full time for 5 - 7 years and do not want full pay till you have 10 years in. A great place to work!!!!
Pros
the money after 10 years
Cons
no life outside the plant
Learning environment
Kaizen / Toyota Production System Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, OntarioSeptember 23, 2015
Refer the previous review regarding Toyota. Company was based on creating a thinking culture. Believed in moving high potential team members across job and functions to build skill sets.
Toyota
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  CambridgeOctober 13, 2015
Toyota is a fast pased, physically demanding job. While it is not all encompassing in that I lack being able to use my interpersonal skills I am very proud of myself in being able to balance this job as well as my family life outside of it.
Pros
$
Cons
Too much of your life is given up for it
Canada's labour camp
Team member weld , assembly (Current Employee) –  Woodstock , Cambridge ,October 25, 2014
If you are a person that is willing to sell your soul , this is the place to do so . Lazy team leaders . Hard on your body , mind , and soul. You are guarantee to get some kind of permanent disabling injury while you work there. If you married , and want to stay married stay away from this place. You have no life beside work and sleep, contract pay is lousy , you don't get paid for holidays , and you don't get more then 20.40 for at least next 3 or more years . If you think you can go to bathroom when you have to go.. Think again , either you be told use your break time , which you get in 2 hours and 20 min. , 3 times in 10.5 hours , or wait till team leader is available . You don't get the 33.00 $ on hour for 10 years working there and half the benefits till you get hired full time, which can take between 3 to 6 years . There are a lot of employees that will stab you in the back in order to advance their carrier , human resources are useless . So much for company that prided itself on environment, community and family , cause frankly it ruins it all for every employee that works there. There is at least few people every month that go on mental stress leave from this place . The worst . They can transfer you at their any location in Cambridge or Woodstock at any time , and if you refuse ... You don't get your contract renewed . Stay away .... Please it's not worth it.
Pros
2 weeks of day shifts
Cons
you fell behind for 4 seconds in a day on assembly, for few days you get corrective action, speed up or get fired or no contract
high paced
Engineering Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMay 29, 2015
management support required
long hours and high workload for engineering group.
difficult to get support for areas that are not readily accessible for research and mostly OTJ training on your own.
Pros
good team atmosphere
Cons
long hours with min feedback
Great company to work for
Accounts Payable / Warranty Processor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 15, 2013
This is the best company I have ever worked for. Management cared about the employees, we had great benefits, and employee discounts. I always looked forward to going to work.
Pros
loved my job.
Cons
had to resign when we relocated to st. catharines in 1990
Great Place to Work.
Clerical Support (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJuly 6, 2012
My position involved full cycle Accounts Payable.
Great Management, Caring management and staff.
Hardest part of the job might be walking by the Morgue area to deliver documents.
Pros
great people
Cons
temp position - so not the benefits of full-time employees
Downward Spiral
Student Contract Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 6, 2015
Worked as a student contract for 3 years until I graduated and have witnessed the continual degradation of product quality, work conditions, pay rates, and management incompetence. If you're lucky enough to pass their arbitrary hiring system, you'll be stuck destroying your body, losing whatever social/personal relationships you have, and will be stuck making just over half rate of what the permanent team members make. Critical thinking individuals need not apply.
Pros
Mediocre wage
Cons
No more free lunches, arbitrary out of date hiring process, ten year wait until full-rate, mandatory saturday overtime, incompetent management and human resource employees
Horrible place to work.
Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONDecember 29, 2013
Poorly managed at all levels, 3+ years on contract, long hours on weird shifts, work most weekends. Behind the times compared to compensation at other assembly plants.
Hard work
Production Team Member (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, onMarch 18, 2015
depending on the area you are in it can be easy or extremely hard on your body, long shifts and switching shifts take a toll on family life, and your body, there is opportunity to grow once you become a full time permanent employee but contract lengths of 3-5 years is a long time to go with no holidays, half bonus, no applying for other positions with in the plant, and no job security with 3 month renewable contracts
Pros
good pay, lots of ot if you want it
Cons
3-5 years on contract with no holidays
Great Work Opportunity
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONAugust 19, 2012
Overall I loved working for Toyota. They are a great company and provided a great work atmosphere. I was only they for the summer student program so unfortunatly I have to leave the company at the end of the summer.
Pros
great salary
Cons
shift work
Hard on the body
Welder and Robot maintenance (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONFebruary 12, 2015
Not only is Toyota a physically demanding (degrades your body over time) job is hard to maintain a decent family life outside of work, considering all the overtime and MANDITORY weekend shifts.

This job would be perfect for a young single man/woman who just wants to dedicate their lives to one place!

Management is run by a few people that have there own agendas, hard to move up into a management position and most management personnel is hard to deal with for any reason?

I would not advise any of my friends to apply to Toyota considering how strenuous "repetitive" work is on the body.
Pros
good pay
Cons
most people have serious joint and back problems from working there.
great benefits and salary
SENIOR CREDIT ANALYST (Current Employee) –  torontoMarch 27, 2015
typical work day as any other job
coworkers are great
there isn't much room for advancement
the company is very large and known worldwide
produces great products
work life balance is very limited
20 years well spent
Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 12, 2015
I found toyota to be the best product on the market, the company support was incredible. I enjoyed the courses provided by toyota to make my job an absolute pleasure.
Good Benefits
Credit Investigator (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 26, 2013
Pros:
Good Benefits
Stable
Good Hours

Cons:
Poor Advancement
Lack of opportunity
Good working environment with friendly people.
Part-time job as a Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONFebruary 27, 2015
I was in charge of oil changes and other various lubrication services. Aside from this tire services were also complete. I have learned problem solving skills during my time there and also many technical skills. The management at Toyota was great and I was very fortunate to work for them. My co-worker were very helpful and kind people and did not hesitate to help with certain jobs. Certain repairs were tough but other than that it was not a hard job. The most enjoyable part of the job would probably be actually working on the cars, completing the different repairs ect.
decent pay and benefits but terrible management
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  cambridge, ontarioMarch 11, 2015
the work was good, the pace was good and the people all got along.

the management and treatment of workers is horrible and degrading, i understand its a business and money is the objective to everyone and making as much as possible, but it can be achieved by treating the employees fairly as well
Pros
good pay and available overtime, free clothing and boots and ppe when needed.
Cons
contract to full time duration, management treatment of workers...especially contract workers
It was a good place to get to know people on a personal level because you got to talk to them for long periods of time.
Line Assembler (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONNovember 7, 2014
When you step onto the line, you understand what you have to do and how if you mess up, then it will affect people further down the line. It was important for you to learn your jobs well so that you don't slow down production and so the team meets the quota that is set every day. The coworkers that I worked with were generally younger and therefore were open to building relationships and helping me have a better time at my job. I would say the hardest part of the job was the long hours, as it was 10 hour days, both early in the morning and late at night. The most enjoyable part of the Job would definitely be the people that I got to work with making the job worth while.
Pros
good pay, lots of hours
Cons
long days, lack of energy following shift
Never make that decision again. Dont recommend working at Toyota
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 2, 2015
Not worth the money.
Company doesn't care about the well being of there employees, only shareholders.
Long awkward shifts.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no vacation, repetative work