Toyota Employee Reviews in Canada

great benefits and salary
SENIOR CREDIT ANALYST (Current Employee) –  torontoMarch 27, 2015
typical work day as any other job
coworkers are great
there isn't much room for advancement
the company is very large and known worldwide
produces great products
work life balance is very limited
Hard on the body
Welder and Robot maintenance (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONFebruary 12, 2015
Not only is Toyota a physically demanding (degrades your body over time) job is hard to maintain a decent family life outside of work, considering all the overtime and MANDITORY weekend shifts.

This job would be perfect for a young single man/woman who just wants to dedicate their lives to one place!

Management is run by a few people that have there own agendas, hard to move up into a management position and most management personnel is hard to deal with for any reason?

I would not advise any of my friends to apply to Toyota considering how strenuous "repetitive" work is on the body.
Pros
good pay
Cons
most people have serious joint and back problems from working there.
Toyota will work you to the bone and pay you little for it
TMMC temporary contract worker (Current Employee) –  CambridgeSeptember 6, 2014
Toyota used to be a good place to work in when people got paid competitive wages, good benefits and proper pensions. This has all changed unfortunately, so working there makes no sense at all because you'll destroy your body, will probably get divorced eventually and have nothing to show for it once you retire. Regarding safely, on paper it's important but in reality they don't care.
The health center in the facility is almost useless and favours the company, not you.
Team leaders are supposed to be off line and support the line right away once it goes down but lots of times you are made to wait . They supposedly have other tasks too but you normally see them sitting around doing nothing, chatting it up with other team leaders or going for walks as they are bored. Very difficult to accept when you are on the line watching all this going on.
Turnover for new hires is incredibly high, I've been at the company for 7 months now and so many faces have come and gone it's incredible. They are desperate for new workers as many leave quickly once hired since the new rate of 20 bucks an hour is not enough to keep people working their tail off. People hired 3 years ago and before have much better wages and benefits compared to you and this is difficult to swallow once you start working there.
Pros
free monthly lunches, good co-workers
Cons
lazy team leaders, bad management, low pay, long hours
Hardworking atmosphere and great learning experience
Painter (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ONMay 6, 2013
Expected to arrive at work approximately 20 minutes prior to start-up in order to get ready and ensure you were there on-time. The work warm-up was mandatory to complete before the start of each shift. The group warm-up was a part of the Japanese culture and creates a team-oriented environment which I liked. I learned great time-management skills in making sure I had enough time to do what I needed to do before shift start. I also learned a great deal of discipline in that sense as well because being late is a very big issue for this, or any, type of work. The hardest part of the job would have been the repetitive aspects on the job due to the strain it had mentally and physically, however I really enjoyed the culture and painting the cars in particular.
Productive and Demanding Job
Production Team Member (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ONDecember 3, 2013
A typical day includes assembling Rav4 vehicles. I have learned about the concept of continuous improvement. This concept can be applied to relationships among workers or to the improvement of duties and tasks assigned. TMMC always keeps their employees informed about what is happening within the company. I am a part of a line where many of my co-workers are like family. We all get along great and that is what makes the work enjoyable. The hardest part of working at TMMC is the long hours and little home life. It is also physically demanding which can be very difficult at times. The most enjoyable part would be working with co-workers and when I leave work it doesn't follow me home.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
lots of overtime, physically demanding
Good working environment with friendly people.
Part-time job as a Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONFebruary 27, 2015
I was in charge of oil changes and other various lubrication services. Aside from this tire services were also complete. I have learned problem solving skills during my time there and also many technical skills. The management at Toyota was great and I was very fortunate to work for them. My co-worker were very helpful and kind people and did not hesitate to help with certain jobs. Certain repairs were tough but other than that it was not a hard job. The most enjoyable part of the job would probably be actually working on the cars, completing the different repairs ect.
Hard work
Production Team Member (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, onMarch 18, 2015
depending on the area you are in it can be easy or extremely hard on your body, long shifts and switching shifts take a toll on family life, and your body, there is opportunity to grow once you become a full time permanent employee but contract lengths of 3-5 years is a long time to go with no holidays, half bonus, no applying for other positions with in the plant, and no job security with 3 month renewable contracts
Pros
good pay, lots of ot if you want it
Cons
3-5 years on contract with no holidays
Good working environment
Budget Invoice Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 8, 2015
I had a contract position. Everyday had its unique challenges. The work environment and its team members and management contributed to a great work experience.
decent pay and benefits but terrible management
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  cambridge, ontarioMarch 11, 2015
the work was good, the pace was good and the people all got along.

the management and treatment of workers is horrible and degrading, i understand its a business and money is the objective to everyone and making as much as possible, but it can be achieved by treating the employees fairly as well
Pros
good pay and available overtime, free clothing and boots and ppe when needed.
Cons
contract to full time duration, management treatment of workers...especially contract workers
Productive well run business
Team Member/Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONFebruary 7, 2014
A typical day at Toyota involved morning communication and allocation of jobs for the day. With regularly scheduled breaks and work assignments for the day and a clear understanding of tasks at hand.

I learned that I much enjoy the structure and hard work that goes along with factory production.

Management consisted of a team leader for a small team of 6-8 people all allocated one part of the line. They were your direct supervisor and the person you would go to first when you had an issue. Above them was your group leader, who was your main boss and looked after your line and all the teams allocated to your line. This style of management I found to be very effective. Allowing conflicts or questions to be solved as quickly as possible if not first in your team then as a larger group.

Co-workers while not always the most enthused with the hours or hard labor were all generally friendly and easy to work with.

The hardest part of the job was the labor that came with working on the line and night shifts with long hours and mandatory overtime.

While this was the hardest part, for me it was also the most enjoyable. While not overly demanding the overtime was appreciated and the work was satisfying.
Pros
job security, opportunity for advancement
Cons
night shifts
Great working culture
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJanuary 27, 2015
A lot of Japanese influence on the work culture which was great to learn. All employees are treated fairly and paid very well. Nobody is left alone, there is always a team-approach. Long hours, night shifts and working weekends can be a problem.
Demanding job
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONFebruary 23, 2015
Long hours, money's not bad. Management constantly reminds you where the door is if you don't like it or disagree with them.
Good Pay
Production Team Member (Engine) (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONDecember 3, 2014
Good pay but boring work.
Not challenging but good job security.
Co-workers were nice for the most part.
Well managed and always busy.
Shift work can be hard at times, not the best job if you have kids due the long hours and two week shifts.
Lots of opportunity to advance within the entire company.
20 years well spent
Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 12, 2015
I found toyota to be the best product on the market, the company support was incredible. I enjoyed the courses provided by toyota to make my job an absolute pleasure.
It was a good place to get to know people on a personal level because you got to talk to them for long periods of time.
Line Assembler (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONNovember 7, 2014
When you step onto the line, you understand what you have to do and how if you mess up, then it will affect people further down the line. It was important for you to learn your jobs well so that you don't slow down production and so the team meets the quota that is set every day. The coworkers that I worked with were generally younger and therefore were open to building relationships and helping me have a better time at my job. I would say the hardest part of the job was the long hours, as it was 10 hour days, both early in the morning and late at night. The most enjoyable part of the Job would definitely be the people that I got to work with making the job worth while.
Pros
good pay, lots of hours
Cons
long days, lack of energy following shift
Productive, Great place to work, Well organised, Professional
Quality Control Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 29, 2014
• Worked as a QCE on the 2014 Toyota Corolla
• Gained knowledge of manufacturing process methodology such as Lean Manufacturing, and Just In Time (JIT)
• Performed quality checks of vehicle parts fit (front and rear mask) by taking precise measurements of levelness and clearance.
• Utilized root cause analysis to solve day to day issues with parts quality
• Further developed communication and interpersonal skills in dealing with various levels of management.
• Developed various quality control engineering documents
• Acquired knowledge of various measuring technologies such as Co-ordinate Measuring Machine, and Vectron scanner.
• Applied Toyota Business Practice method of problem solving to determine the root cause of complex quality issues, proposing countermeasures, and implementing countermeasures.
• Presented two Toyota Business Practice projects to general staff, general management, and executive level officers.
• Gained exposure to various other departments (Press, Welding, Plastics) on inter-disciplinary quality issues
Pros
great learning experience, highly organized work, time, team, and project management, health services
Cons
Working around lots of fun and friendly coworkers and customers
Receptionist/Secretary (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONFebruary 3, 2013
-open up shop and answer phones, make coffee and file invoices and other documentation
-learned how to operate multi line switchboard
- management was friendly and listened to needs and concerns
-coworkers are great, funny friendly people
-hardest part of the job was staying busy on slow days
-most enjoyable was the atmosphere and the people
Pros
great hours
Cons
lack of room for advancement
Never make that decision again. Dont recommend working at Toyota
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 2, 2015
Not worth the money.
Company doesn't care about the well being of there employees, only shareholders.
Long awkward shifts.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no vacation, repetative work
Productive and interesting place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 3, 2012
A typical day at work at Toyota was quite interesting as I learned a
lot of new stuff
Management was very good and helpful
The co-workers were very friendly and ready to help
There were no hardest part as all the work that I did was documented and I had to follow accordingly
I enjoyed working at this office as we worked as a team
Pros
we had subsidised lunch
Cons
no long hours
No time for friends or family. Your opinion doesn't matter.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ONJuly 26, 2015
Rotating shifts. Two weeks of days and two weeks of nights. Day shift has a much more uptight feeling. Lots of MGMT walking around so everyone plays by the rules but only to impress MGMT. Night shift things get a little more slack, like having coffee near the assembly line and having a backpack near the assembly line.

You are not given or allowed any kind of fan(s) near your job process. If im putting parts in a car while im on a ruku seat (seat the is attached to an arm that is propelled by the assembler into the car) it gets very hot inside the car. It gets extremely hot while working so you must stay hydrated. Drinking lots of water makes you have to go to the bathroom more frequently but when you ask to go to the bathroom you can wait anywhere from 10 minutes to over an hour. Team leaders will go around and talk to people and complain when they have to do a repair on a car or help someone assembling the car. The team leaders will insist they are too busy to cover you for a bathroom break but they will go and just stand by someone and talk to them for 10 minutes meanwhile they could have been covering you for a bathroom break.
If you get soar or hurt on a job installing parts the team leaders and group leaders dont care. They will tell you when you get home to ice what ever hurts and put ruba535 on it. They are supposed to schedule for physiotherapy if you are hurting from one specific job 3 days in a row but they never send you to physio. Instead they put you on that job more often like twice a day to make your life difficult. Team leaders dont do their job. Awful MGMT.
  more... No one listens to team members because they are looked at like dogs. Favoritism is a huge problem too at TMMC. Certain team members wont have to wait for a bathroom break or they get a very good job rotation all the time while other TM's have to wait an average of 35 mins to use the bathrooom and could be put on 2 jobs all day even thought they know 5. Extremely long hours and no one says thank you for your hard work. If there is a defect caught this could have caused a major problem you could be awarded with "catch of the week", Some meaningless thing to keep team members catching defects while they work. No one ever gets it though. They hardly say thank you if you catch a defect then they complain because they have to tag the car or have to fix the defect. I could go on and on and on and on about how backwards this place is. No one cares about you there except you. Watch your back because people are out to get you for no reason.

I would never suggest anyone applying there. No one is happy there.
Pros
Lots of money but money is not happiness.
Cons
Long hours, Miserable people, bad leadership, bad working conditions.