Toyota Employee Reviews

Hard Work, but large pay checks.
Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONJune 9, 2016
Work in a friendly environment. Upper management could have been better. Demanding work with little to no holidays, and a ridiculous amount of time on contract. (3.5-4 years)
Nice cafeteria and some team members. However stay away.
Team member (Former Employee) –  CambridgeJune 16, 2015
Worked in conveyance for 5 weeks. Most older employees told me to get another job iv I could. At first I thought they were upset at the company. However team leaders are like politicians in that area the only problem is you can't vote for your leaders. Breaks are 15 to 20 minutes lunch is 30. Most Team leaders extend these break times to 15 or more minutes while a team memberr is expected back on time.
As you work very hard and try and keep up you will see team leaders and group leaders gathered up and chatting for a few minutes and while they are chatting you ask yourself what is there exact purpose in this place. Most have no people skills or cannot lead by example. My advice to anyonensure reading this is stay far away and don't do it. I read these comments before I joined and I wish I would have not worked there. They do need a union as for 20 dollars an hour you will be doing the same job as those making 34 an hour. Night shift is a joke and if you have a family stay away or you will loose them.
Pros
Nice cafeteria clean workplace
Cons
Long hours incompetent management and human resources
Review
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONFebruary 22, 2016
Being in the car industry you're required to be a quick thinker due to always being in contact with the public. Buying a car is a big step into adult-hood and it should be treated just as that. Here at Toyota we ensure that it is a smooth and easy process from the moment you walk in the door to the moment you drive your vehicle off the lot.
Pros
Guest interactions for great learning experiences
Cons
Mistakes do happen
No Life
PRODUCTION TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 13, 2016
All they care about is making money. The pay is fairly good but the trade-off is your free time. Rotating schedules every two weeks wreaks havoc on the body. The jobs themselves are very hard on the body (depending on the job) and injuries are very common.
Supported other departments. Gave priority to internal and external customers. Team player and hard worker.
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJanuary 9, 2016
Every day I had to check my e-mails and phone messages. Reply to e-mails. Contact candidates and help them with whatever information they may required. I had to make sure all jobs were posted on universities and colleges websites. Do daily reports, send meeting requests to managers and e-mails to candidates with interview details. Meet deadlines can be the hardest part as well as pleasing everyone. The most enjoyable part was to be able to help others.
productive and good learning, chain of command followed
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge OntarioMay 4, 2013
lean manufacturing, advanced manufacturing technology, stud/projection/MIG/spot/seam/laser welding, passenger car framing body tack/respot welding, CMM body accuracy,critical paint defects, hole piercing, nut feeders, stamping bumps/dents/crease, manual back up, chisel/teardown/ultrasonic testing, magnaflux, NDT/die penetration/macro/micro inspection, Toyota production systems, robotic sealer, mastic application, lay out change, cycle time reduction, transformer sizing, resolved outer car body vibrations, NVH, sound dreading and water leak issues, kanban, SWC, AutoCad, SAP kaizen, line balance, pokayoke, ergonomics, JIT, visual management, plant self reliance, cycle, takt time, green field plant setup, continuous improvement, A3 report, roller/conventional hemming, AC/DC welding, PPAP, prototype, Supplier qualification
Pros
benifits, learning
Cons
long hours, weekend work, pressure
Good job when permanent employee...
Contract Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONJune 5, 2013
Just as with any workplace there is some good management and some bad. Same with co-workers. While in normal circumstances Toyota is a good place to work, they certainly have changed over the last few years. The treatment of contract employees isn't great, especially when concerns arise. They were not accommodating to my changes in needs when I had some challenges associated to my pregnancy. Also, the work/life balance is becoming increasingly worse with a high demand for vehicles leading to overtime. The overtime makes for great pays, but very hard on family time.
Pros
overtime, structure, good benefits
Cons
shifts, long hours, accommodating challenges, contracts
a Paycheque
Contract Team Member (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONAugust 24, 2016
Based on what department you are placed in, everyday is exactly the same at Toyota. If you are in assembly you basically learn 4 different jobs and complete them every single day sometimes in the same order. The work atmosphere at Toyota is highly depressing, most employees hate it there and make it known constantly. Many people are openly negative about the company and their unhappiness with being there. A lot of people promoted into management are promoted for the wrong reason and have communication issues and should not be in leadership roles. This being said however, there are many good people in management as well. The hardest part of the job is the negative atmosphere and the physical toll doing repetitive work does on your body (repetitive strain injury). The most enjoyable part of the job is the paycheque you receive at the end of the 2 week pay period. This being said there is a huge wage gap at Toyota. Contract Team members begin at 20$ an hour and do not get ANY paid holidays for at least 3.6 yrs. You remain a contract until you get "full-time" which takes about 3.6 yrs. You receive benefits after 3 months of working there but they do not include dental. The full rate of pay at toyota is about 34$ an hour and it takes a whopping 10 YEARS to get to this full rate nowadays. So contract team members who do the exact same jobs as full-time get payed about 15$ less and get no holidays or dental. This helps breed a lot of the negativity in the workplace.

Working at Toyota is a lot like working anywhere else, it is what you make of it, opportunities are there for full-time
  more... team members to advance if they choose to take them. They do a lot more for their Team Members than most employers do.  less
Pros
free lunches, overtime, guaranteed hours
Cons
long hours, negative atmoshpere
Rewarding and Challenging
Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 20, 2016
great place for anyone who wants challenging work environment, it's all about continues improvement and problem solving on daily basis
Pros
Good pay, good environment
Cons
Not really
Fun place to work
IT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 18, 2016
Excellent place to work for IT professionals. Exposes you to multiple technologies, which allows you to grow your technical expertise.
enjoyed a fast productive,clean,interesting,learning atmosphere
Quality Control/ General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I found it quite interesting and an important chalenge to be a front line defence to high quality new parts passed,and were properly fastened to the highly valued,safe,product....both valued and expected by the manufactor and bottom line the consumer
Pros
Long days @ minium wage
Cons
Temp agency...could not guarantee hours
Very good place to work!
Shuttle Driver and Lot Attendant (Current Employee) –  Gander, NLApril 14, 2015
Toyota is a very good place to work! However, I need work that requires more intellect, and challenges me more than being a Shuttle Driver does.

My typical work day is 8:30 to 5:30 with an hour for lunch.

I am learning about Toyota vehicles and some operational methods.

Management is very good!

Co-workers are very good!

Hardest part of the job is lifting for storage 20 inch tires with rims.

Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting and working with new people.
Pros
Excellent health benefits!
Cons
Prefer not to say anything negative.
Fun team-oriented place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONOctober 29, 2015
I got lucky enough to be put in a good area (vehicle performance) and got to drive the cars throughout the assembly line. Friends were not so lucky and did not enjoy going to work as I did.
Pros
Pay, overtime, sometimes free lunches
Cons
Long hours, potentially very hard work
Enjoyable place to work
Senior Computer Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 23, 2016
Great people to work with and very helpful when problems arise. As a shift worker, co-workers are very accomodating when time off required.
Everybody worked as a team and enjoyed what they did
LPN (Former Employee) –  ville st. laurentSeptember 22, 2015
I really loved working here. The atmosphere was relaxed but everyone was helping each other and taking up the slack where needed. Management were part of the team and could always be relied upon when extra hands were needed.
Hardworking atmosphere and great learning experience
Painter (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ONMay 6, 2013
Expected to arrive at work approximately 20 minutes prior to start-up in order to get ready and ensure you were there on-time. The work warm-up was mandatory to complete before the start of each shift. The group warm-up was a part of the Japanese culture and creates a team-oriented environment which I liked. I learned great time-management skills in making sure I had enough time to do what I needed to do before shift start. I also learned a great deal of discipline in that sense as well because being late is a very big issue for this, or any, type of work. The hardest part of the job would have been the repetitive aspects on the job due to the strain it had mentally and physically, however I really enjoyed the culture and painting the cars in particular.
Toyota is an inovative company
Senior Computer Operator (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, CanadaMay 31, 2015
Toyota was an innovative company with a lot of attention on customer care and dealers. The whole IT department worked as a team. On a normal day we I would deal with scheduling for the day and night, applying emergency changes, dealing with user scheduling requirements, updating UAT environments and dealing with Sev1 and Sev2 alerts. Toyota used different processes that made the company work efficiently.
I found the management worked will. They were easy to work with and got things done. The people I worked with day to day were excellent. We all got along and apprised each other of activities effecting our team. At times recommendations for changes were not taken even though this is an innovative company. Over all I enjoyed the great people I worked with.
Productive and Demanding Job
Production Team Member (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ONDecember 3, 2013
A typical day includes assembling Rav4 vehicles. I have learned about the concept of continuous improvement. This concept can be applied to relationships among workers or to the improvement of duties and tasks assigned. TMMC always keeps their employees informed about what is happening within the company. I am a part of a line where many of my co-workers are like family. We all get along great and that is what makes the work enjoyable. The hardest part of working at TMMC is the long hours and little home life. It is also physically demanding which can be very difficult at times. The most enjoyable part would be working with co-workers and when I leave work it doesn't follow me home.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
lots of overtime, physically demanding
Learning environment
Kaizen / Toyota Production System Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, OntarioSeptember 23, 2015
Refer the previous review regarding Toyota. Company was based on creating a thinking culture. Believed in moving high potential team members across job and functions to build skill sets.
fun workplace
Lot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCFebruary 1, 2016
get to learn a lot about cars, get to meet and interact with a lot of new people. got to work on own car, get to learn about the area while dropping and picking people up.
Pros
get to work on own car
Cons
have to wash cars in bad weather