TOWN OF OAKVILLE Employee Reviews in Canada

Family Orientated
Traffic Engineering Technologist - Civil (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONFebruary 5, 2016
Fast Paced - excellent working opportunity

Family like work atmosphere.

Full exposure to a career in the public service, accountable to stakeholders and government official demands and expectations.
Pros
Varied Work .. never boring
Cons
not permanent
Productive and fun workplace
Horticulturist (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONFebruary 1, 2016
The Town of Oakville allows for many teamwork opportunities as well as independent learning. It is a pleasure representing Oakville and working alongside goal-oriented coworkers.
Great working environment
Roads and Works Operations Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONNovember 13, 2015
The Town of Oakville is an outstanding employer; I was fortunate enough to work at the satellite location - Central Operations, Roads and Work Department. The staff was exceptional to work with and for, with no exception of the Crew supervisors and the crews themselves.

Our administrative team consisted of the Roads and Works, Parks and Forestry Departments, along with the Traffic Department. Our group of administrative clerks worked well together and supported each other.

The salary was exceptional as well; being the public sector, you must appreciate the recognition of good employees and they are compensated favourable.

I would have hoped to have acquired long term employment with the Town of Oakville, but unfortunately my position was a contract position; however, my contract was extended twice because my supervisor believed in me and I was a valued employee.
Pros
Various activities held at Central Operations where participation was encouraged
Cons
None that I encountered
Fun work environment, great learning experience
Lifeguard/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 9, 2015
Working as a lifeguard for the town of Oakville was an excellent experience. There were many opportunities to continue to strengthen your skills and take on more responsibilities. The best part was the teamwork and team-building exercises that happened constantly throughout my employment. Being a lifeguard includes cleaning the pool, and changerooms, teach kids to swim, and guarding the pool during leisurely swims. All of my coworkers and I were generally the same age, so the environment was really fun and we became really close. The management are really open to communication if you have any concerns, since the job can get a little stressful at times, and that really helped me grow as a employee.
Town of Oakville
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJanuary 28, 2015
- typical weekday shifts; 4:30pm-11pm/12am
- typical weekend shifts; 8am-4pm / 4pm-11pm
- relaxed environment
- always something to clean and feel satisfied about
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
too relaxed sometimes, needed to self-motivate
Good learning and teaching environment
Website Design Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oakville, NBAugust 3, 2012
I tried to delivering information to students in effective way with examples and exercises.
I gained detailed knowledge of topic that I studied before.
I managed work with full time study and life activities.
Guidance and support of co-workers helped me in becoming successful in this position.
The hardest part of the job was to encourage all students to participate.
Creating interesting practices as examples was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
opportunity to work on and learn new techniques
Cons
no job security
Exciting, innovative municipality
Planning Intern (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONNovember 13, 2012
I mostly carried out assigned independent research tasks.

My research helped me develop my understanding of key techniques and strategies in my profession.

Supervisor is very friendly, gentle and warm. City leaders champion innovative and progressive ideas.

Despite their workload, Co-workers are more than happy to engage and educate me on their work and profession.

Hardest Part - Leaving. (co-op job)

Enjoyable Part - Being in an organization committed to progressive innovative public service.
Pros
culture that wants and demands innovative and progressive ideas
Great workplace, engages employees in lots of training and excercises to build skills
Life Saving Society Swim Instructor and Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONJanuary 9, 2014
Working for the town of Oakville is a good position. There are many different facilities and placements to choose from so there is always room to explore. There is great teamwork and cooperation between staff.
Pros
free swimming or access to facilities depending on the area you work in
Cons
lots of split shifts!
Oakville transit
transit employee (Former Employee) –  transitNovember 15, 2012
New building with old school out of touch managers. Average pay decent benefits would be great if they were able to clean up the managerial mess they have. They have a god mentality and think they can treat there subordinates bad. Close but most likely years away from becoming a top notch employer when the upper management finally gets fired or retires.
Pros
new building
Cons
shift work, weekends below average pay
Productive workplace with a good management team.
Student Worker-Forestry Department (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJanuary 14, 2015
A typical day at work involved watering town trees on a given route (two people in a truck assigned to a route). The day began with the inspection of our 4*4 trucks and attached water trailers and filling out daily paperwork. Water tanks were refilled when empty by attaching to designated town fire hydrants. Some days also involved mulching young trees, tree planting, and the cutting down of dead trees. I learned how to properly plant and maintain the health of trees as well as how to operate a truck with attached trailer. Management was professional and efficient and provided excellent training. The hardest part of the job was ensuring to follow all proper road safety procedures when conducting a job from the side of the road. The most enjoyable part of the job was using my tree identification skills to map out trees to be watered within our route.
Pros
trusted to work without constant supervision of managers
Cons
would appreciate more experience in the environmental field
great company, lots of office work.
JUNIOR TRAFFIC TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJune 11, 2014
Organized company worked for the manager. I worked on multiple tasks for a variety of different fields giving me a lot of experience as stated on the resume.
Pros
computer knowledge vastly improved
Cons
lack of movement, staring at computer screen for so long
Easy going environment
Front of House - OCP4A (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONSeptember 17, 2012
Quite possibly one of the most enjoyable jobs out there. Decent pay for no education needed. Friendly staff and management.
Pros
easy, flexible scheduling, interesting
Cons
short shifts/split shifts, rude customers
Productive Workplace
Rink Maintenance Attendant (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONApril 16, 2014
Overall great place to work at. Very friendly management staff as well as very well trained employees. Know how to have fun but always get the job done
supplements my income
Assist elementary (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 6, 2014
Weather is an issue, I'm alone at my station, I do like the social aspect ,talking with people and ensuring the safety of the public.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
weather
Instructor
Yoga Instructor & Program Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONOctober 26, 2014
Love working here and great company. I look forward to many more years with them.
Fun and Healthy Environment
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONFebruary 24, 2013
Meet at head quarters with other students and given daily tasks. Head out for the day and perform tasks with Co-Workers.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
low pay
Loved it!
Summer Program Staff (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 5, 2013
Amazing job. Best summer of my life! Couldn't have asked for anything more. Great people, great hours, great time.

4.3