TOWN OF OAKVILLE Employee Reviews

Great place to work for a summer!
Parks and Recreation Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON4 October 2017
I worked here for a few years while in university. All around a great summer job! People were great, pay was good, and you got weekends off which is always a bonus.
Great job and organization to work for
Spare Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON13 September 2017
I enjoy the way you can work independently. Enough supervision to keep you honest. Being outside is a bonus but in bad weather it can be taxing. Over all it's a great place to work and the co workers are amazing. The management is even better and support the workers in all situations if reasonable.
Easy, fun and Reliable
Snack Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON27 July 2017
Working in the Snack Bar at the Town of Oakville was an easy job that provides opportunities for young workers to improve customer service skills. I would recommend to high school students.
Worked for a short period of time but I enjoyed it.
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON6 July 2017
Was only a temp for the end of the summer. Very good people that I worked with that made it fun. Made it to work by 7am, packed up truck with required gear for that day such as gas, lawn mower and lawn trimmers. Left compound at 8 and went around Oakville cutting the lawns of Parks and Open Areas.
Pros
Shift goes by fast, Good people, Outdoors, Team enviroment
Cons
Hard to get hired on full-time
Organized and reasonable supervisors.
Assistant Acting Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 June 2017
It was everything you can expect from working for the Town. Everything was by the book and my supervisors were very reasonable about time off and supplies needed.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not many hours
Good people to work with
Aquatic Instructor and Life Guard and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON4 May 2017
I was a fun job but hard to get a lot of hours as a university student. There are many different locations to work at and you normally get a place close to home.
Pros
felx able hours
Cons
not a lot of hours given
Excellent work environment
n/a (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON24 April 2017
Training was excellent as well as Managers and co-workers.
It is a great place to work and to learn. Going the extra mille is the best you can do for a great Customer Service experience.
Timekeeper (Former Employee) –  Sixteen mile sports complex9 March 2017
My experience at the town of Oakville was a pleasent one and I think highly of all coworkers.
It is a friendly, place of work with lots of opportunity for advancement.

Wages are fair and regular wage increase was always part of the deal.

Work here if possible
Fun place to work
Horticulturist (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON28 February 2017
The overall culture is nice, you have to be very physical with your work and willing to get sweaty. The residents of Oakville love to complain to you so ensure you can remain calm as they will ask some outrageous things.
Good summer job
Program Leader and Special Needs Leader (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON25 February 2017
The best part about the job is the relationships you build with your co workers and managers. I learned a lot about myself during my three summers and I loved how easy it was to re apply in the next year.
It's a pretty great place to work
Rock Climbing Instructor (Current Employee) –  QEPCC24 March 2016
Very accommodating, awesome supervisors, great job all around. There are many opportunities to work in other divisions of the town. Scheduling is very flexible which is great if you are in school.
Family Orientated
Traffic Engineering Technologist - Civil (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON5 February 2016
Fast Paced - excellent working opportunity

Family like work atmosphere.

Full exposure to a career in the public service, accountable to stakeholders and government official demands and expectations.
Pros
Varied Work .. never boring
Cons
not permanent
Productive and fun workplace
Horticulturist (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 February 2016
The Town of Oakville allows for many teamwork opportunities as well as independent learning. It is a pleasure representing Oakville and working alongside goal-oriented coworkers.
Great working environment
Roads and Works Operations Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON13 November 2015
The Town of Oakville is an outstanding employer; I was fortunate enough to work at the satellite location - Central Operations, Roads and Work Department. The staff was exceptional to work with and for, with no exception of the Crew supervisors and the crews themselves.

Our administrative team consisted of the Roads and Works, Parks and Forestry Departments, along with the Traffic Department. Our group of administrative clerks worked well together and supported each other.

The salary was exceptional as well; being the public sector, you must appreciate the recognition of good employees and they are compensated favourable.

I would have hoped to have acquired long term employment with the Town of Oakville, but unfortunately my position was a contract position; however, my contract was extended twice because my supervisor believed in me and I was a valued employee.
Pros
Various activities held at Central Operations where participation was encouraged
Cons
None that I encountered
Fun work environment, great learning experience
Lifeguard/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON9 March 2015
Working as a lifeguard for the town of Oakville was an excellent experience. There were many opportunities to continue to strengthen your skills and take on more responsibilities. The best part was the teamwork and team-building exercises that happened constantly throughout my employment. Being a lifeguard includes cleaning the pool, and changerooms, teach kids to swim, and guarding the pool during leisurely swims. All of my coworkers and I were generally the same age, so the environment was really fun and we became really close. The management are really open to communication if you have any concerns, since the job can get a little stressful at times, and that really helped me grow as a employee.
Town of Oakville
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON28 January 2015
- typical weekday shifts; 4:30pm-11pm/12am
- typical weekend shifts; 8am-4pm / 4pm-11pm
- relaxed environment
- always something to clean and feel satisfied about
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
too relaxed sometimes, needed to self-motivate
Productive workplace with a good management team.
Student Worker-Forestry Department (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON14 January 2015
A typical day at work involved watering town trees on a given route (two people in a truck assigned to a route). The day began with the inspection of our 4*4 trucks and attached water trailers and filling out daily paperwork. Water tanks were refilled when empty by attaching to designated town fire hydrants. Some days also involved mulching young trees, tree planting, and the cutting down of dead trees. I learned how to properly plant and maintain the health of trees as well as how to operate a truck with attached trailer. Management was professional and efficient and provided excellent training. The hardest part of the job was ensuring to follow all proper road safety procedures when conducting a job from the side of the road. The most enjoyable part of the job was using my tree identification skills to map out trees to be watered within our route.
Pros
Trusted to work without constant supervision of managers
Cons
Would appreciate more experience in the environmental field
Instructor
Yoga Instructor & Program Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON26 October 2014
Love working here and great company. I look forward to many more years with them.
great company, lots of office work.
JUNIOR TRAFFIC TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON11 June 2014
Organized company worked for the manager. I worked on multiple tasks for a variety of different fields giving me a lot of experience as stated on the resume.
Pros
computer knowledge vastly improved
Cons
lack of movement, staring at computer screen for so long
Productive Workplace
Rink Maintenance Attendant (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON16 April 2014
Overall great place to work at. Very friendly management staff as well as very well trained employees. Know how to have fun but always get the job done