TOWN OF ESSEX, GIS Technician
The Town of Essex is currently seeking a full-time GIS Technician.
The Town of Essex is located in southwestern Ontario, approximately 28 kilometres southeast of the City of Windsor. It is one of seven lower‐tier municipalities in the County of Essex with borders extending from the hub of the county to Lake Erie. Essex includes two urban centres (Essex Centre and Harrow) and two hamlets (McGregor and Colchester). These unique communities are surrounded by a thriving wine and agriculture industry and boast a wide range of recreational facilities, an excellent school system, and affordable living options. The current population of the Town of Essex is 19,600.
Reporting to the Manager, Information Technology, the GIS Technician is the sole person responsible to maintain and enhance the Town’s Geographic Information System (GIS), provide technical GIS expertise to internal and external stake holders and provide IT support when required. The GIS Technician duties and responsibilities will include:
- Establishing and implementing standards and procedures for GIS maintenance and database administration
- Performing field investigations to ensure data accuracy using a variety of equipment and/or methods
- Maintaining and updating all current and new data as it pertains to municipal infrastructure inventory to ensure Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) compliance
- Administering and maintaining a variety of GIS applications: ESRI suite, Internet Mapping software (IMF) and Cityworks (Problem Tracking Software)
- Working with all departments and other municipalities to complete various GIS projects
- Providing training on new GIS applications to staff and Council
- Implementing technological improvements to enhance the operations of GIS as it relates to the municipality
- Acting as IT support when required
- Performing other related duties as required
We invite candidates who can demonstrate the following:
- Two (2) year diploma from a recognized college or university with a concentration in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or a related field
- Minimum of two (2) to three (3) years’ experience with GIS applications preferably ESRI, AutoCAD and relational database applications (Microsoft Access and SQL)
- Strong knowledge of the following: Windows XP & Windows 7, Office 2007 & 2010, Adobe Acrobat, desktop and network troubleshooting
- Municipal GIS experience would be considered an asset
- Experience with the following applications would be considered an asset: Cityworks, Great Plains, Laserfiche, AVL, Mobile Mapper, CityWide, Latitude GeoCortex, Web EOC, Reverse 911
- Excellent written, oral communication, organizational, analytical, problem solving and time management skills
- Excellent presentation and graphic design skills for the creation of professional quality maps and related products
- Valid Class “G” Driver’s license with access to reliable transportation
For full details and further information, please see our website at www.essex.ca.
Please submit your resume and a covering letter electronically no later 4:30 p.m. Friday,
June 7, 2013 specifying "GIS Technician" in the subject line or by mail: 33 Talbot Street South, Essex, ON N8M 1A8; Fax: (519) 776-8811.
Indeed - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard
The Town of Essex is located in southwestern Ontario, approximately 28 kilometres southeast of the City of Windsor. It is one of seven...