Chestermere, Alberta is a dynamic recreational town with all the ambiance of a laid-back lakeside community. Located just 5 km from the City of Calgary, and a 25 km drive from the Calgary International Airport, Chestermere has ease of access to all of Calgary’s amenities yet continues to embody a unique and thriving community outside of the city.
We are currently inviting applications for a Summer Intern – Civil Technologist, Development Services Department (Engineering), 37.5 hrs. per week, (May – August).
This is a temporary entry-level position targeting students or new graduates from accredited institutions.
Reporting to the Infrastructure Manager, the Civil Technology Intern will be required to work with a fast-paced dynamic team in a mixed office/field environment. The Civil Technology Intern’s main focus is to assist in inspections of municipal infrastructure projects.
Candidates must be currently enrolled in or be a recent graduate (within 1 year) of a Civil Engineering technology or similar diploma program from an accredited college or technical institute.
- Support and assist in reviewing development permit applications and coordinating with
developers, consultants and contractors to review development information related to the
servicing infrastructure of new and existing developments
- Provide supporting documentation for the preparation of tender documents as necessary for
the award of major construction and/or maintenance work
- Gather information using the Town’s AutoCAD system to confirm information provided on
- Ensure drawings, plans, and development proposals are properly updated and maintained
- Assist in the coordination, implementation and execution of capital works projects
- Perform field inspections (CCC/FAC) of public projects for compliance of approved design; this
includes streets, culverts, sidewalks, curbs, gutters, roads, water, storm water and sanitary sewer
- Provide technical support for Council presentations
- Coordinate with other Town departments such as Public Works, Finance and Development
Services (Planning) to share information related to specific projects as required
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with developers, consultants, contractors and
the general public related to project planning and execution of various projects
- Provide information and enforcement of the Town of Chestermere’s engineering
specifications and standards
- Other related duties as assigned
- Demonstrates Town values of Collaboration, Humour and Fun, Integrity, Professionalism, and
- Basic knowledge of municipal infrastructure
- Basic knowledge of civil engineering related to design and construction of civil engineering
- Basic knowledge of construction materials, methods, and inspection techniques
- Basic knowledge of site information gathering, such as materials testing, compaction testing,
and basic record keeping associated with civil engineering projects
- Skills in Microsoft Office and the most recent version of AutoCAD
- A valid class 5 license
- A valid First Aid and CPR certificate, CAED
Successful candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory Criminal Records Check as a
condition of employment.
Competition will close on: March 15, 2013
The Town appreciates receiving resumes from all qualified individuals, but only those applicants who are short-listed for an interview will be contacted.
For more information on the Town of Chestermere, or this opportunity please refer to our website at www.chestermere.ca