The HR Manager is responsible for planning, organizing, directing, controlling and analyzing the operations of the Human Resources department.
1. Oversees the Town’s Human Resource operations and processes.
2. Strategically plans for the Town’s human capital needs in collaboration with Town operational leaders.
3. Develops and implements HR programs and procedures effectively aligning programs and outcomes with business and HR strategy. HR programs may include, but are not limited to policy development; compensation; payroll and benefits; employee relations; workforce planning; training; organization development; performance management; recruitment & selection; and occupational health and safety.
4. Sets priorities within the HR Team and provides leadership and direction. Oversees the workload of the department for the purpose of maximizing efficiency.
5. Prepares and adheres to the HR department budget.
6. Responsible for the recruitment, selection, scheduling, performance management and coaching functions, including the issuance of corrective action where necessary for HR staff. Completes annual performance evaluations on all direct reports.
7. Develops and maintains effective relationships with all levels of organizational staff and acts as an advisor and sounding board to address workforce issues and to optimize talent, structure, process, and culture.
8. Provides consultative support and "hands on” consulting support to management covering all HR related areas such as performance management, employee relations issues including progressive discipline and dismissal, policy interpretation and best practices, employee complaints and investigations, including harassment investigations.
9. Provides guidance and interpretation of statutory laws, regulations and standards. Remains current with all best practices.
10. Utilizes HR metrics to identify and assess emerging trends and provide advice on the potential impacts to the business; develop proactive actions to support people strategy.
11. Conducts training needs analyses of the entire workforce to design appropriate and necessary training and development programs.
12. Continually builds on knowledge of the Town and develops overall business acumen that allows for the development and implementation of innovative concepts, new ideas and a strong culture.
13. Responsible for using confidential information appropriately, and maintaining the confidentiality and security of all information related to the Town.
14. Demonstrates Town values of Collaboration, Humour and Fun, Integrity, Professionalism, and Accountability.
15. Other related duties as assigned.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of this position.
Education and Experience:
- An undergraduate degree in Human Resources Management, or a related discipline.
- Minimum eight (8) year’s of progressively responsible HR generalist experience, preferably within a Municipal Government setting.
- Previous supervisory/leadership experience is required.
- CHRP designation is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Sound knowledge of employment and labour legislation, including but not limited to Employment Standards Act (Alberta), Alberta Human Rights, FOIP, and principles and practices of HR administration.
- Ability to develop and execute HR business plans taking into consideration business objectives and initiatives. Must have sound knowledge of key people processes to leverage and add value to the business' goals.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills matched with the ability to negotiate and build relationships with key stakeholders as well as an ability to interact with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to demonstrate diplomacy and confidentiality when dealing with sensitive situations and/or information.
- Ability to provide leadership, coaching, and supervision to the HR Team.
- Superior organizational skills including the ability to handle and manage competing priorities.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with all Microsoft applications, working knowledge of HRIS programs.
- A focus on continuous improvement, operational excellence, and an ongoing commitment to learning.
- Possess valid Standard First Aid CPR C & AED.
Indeed - 4 months ago