Town Shoes

Town Shoes Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Horrible!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCAugust 16, 2015
Pros: 40% off discount; Great co-workers
Cons: Everything; unfair hour distribution; poor management; unfair wages
My experience with this company was absolutely horrible. The manager of my store was immature, uneducated, and unfair. The manager let personal feelings get in the way of scheduling shifts (i.e. if you weren't a favourite, she would give you 4-4.5 hours a week and usually sent home early), would hire more people when she couldn't give out more hours to the staff she already had, and did not train us at all. The company itself is cheap. The main thing we read in the handbook is KEEP THE CUSTOMER HAPPY!! If they want a full refund for a scratch you can only see with a microscope, give it to them; – more... if the price on the tag differs with that on the computer when it scans, honour the tag; the associates at my store were discouraged to do so, and if they did it anyway, reprimanded harshly. The manager only trained us when the DM was supposed to come in. The manager told associates that she would give shifts based on sales per hour of the previous week: she never did. The company itself is cheap, unreliable, and poor quality. The dye from the leather bled onto my feet from wearing them all day long. They did not stretch the way they were supposed to, nor did they stay wearable for long. My pay was horrible (probably because the manager never scheduled me for money making shifts). Near the end of my employment, I gave up on selling and just stood around for the number of hours I was there. I had no incentive to sell, nor did I particularly care if I met my daily sales goal. Incredibly unimpressed with the company, and my old store. I'm so happy I left. – less
Horrible
ASM (Former Employee), TorontoAugust 10, 2015
Hated it! Poor management, unorganized and no one to speak to at head office. Had to hound them for about a year to get my benefits set up, they missed pay days for the entire company (canada wide... one of which was boxing day) pay you very little. too much stress, not nearly worth it
Support Office is a Head office. Values are fake!
GM (Former Employee), GTAJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Discount
Cons: Non trustworthy head office
GM for DSW (Townshoes). Head office likes to call itself.. Support Office. There is 0 support from them to the stores. They say they want your opinion to grow the company, however if you give feedback that is true but upsets head office.. Be careful! There will be retribution from them.

This is a company that does NOT live up to there values... Every values, Honesty, Enthusiasm, Accountability and Respect.

These values are for head office, but they are just words at Store level. HR will NOT back up the associate if a situation has to do with a head office person. They will only pit Managers against Associates.

If your a robot and don't want to use your brain, this company is for you.

Good Luck!

I quit!
A good start into retail
Key Holder (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Discount on Shoes, awesome to work for part time
Cons: Just kind of a mess of a company
The company seems to be in a constant state of trying to get its balance.

Management is largely based on who you got on with as opposed to ability which is standard in retail.

Unrealistic goals given based off of stores in other malls with much higher traffic.

No real company set training policy.
NOT WORTH IT!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), OntarioJune 7, 2015
Pros: discount on medicore shoes
Cons: the list goes on
STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY! my experience as well as 7 other part time staff members were not so great. (8 people including myself no longer work there - all within a 2 month period) letters were sent to HR about the manager bullying staff, and nothing was done. HR is no help, your on your own.

The DM and manager were too close in my opinion. Other people the mall thought they were husband and wife. This was the store managers first management job as well as being very new to the country, that being said, people would work 9-10hours with maybe, I mean maybe one 30min break. He had no clue – more... about labour laws of Ontario and infected the staff like a disease. One of the part time staff had a spouse in the hospital and didn't let them leave work early until everything was finished. meanwhile three other staff working could have easily helped out. (this is called being a human being) If you dared to share an opinion, you were scrutinized. You literally felt like a slave and prisoner. He will beat you to the ground and keep you there. He treats people like slaves and runs the store like a dictatorship. If a customer came in asking HIM for a shoe size, he hands the shoe off to someone else because he doesn't want to do the work. WHAT THE HECK kind of customer service is that. If I were the customer, I would want the person I asked to get me the shoe, not some errand boy/girl. It's pathetic.

I've been in retail for 10 years and never have seen such horrific abuse. The company itself has a 95% turnover at head office. They give directions without proof reading documents and unclear policies. The store had no AC and customers were over heated. The staff had so much sweat running down them that it was as if they were going to faint. This is just a small fraction what was going on in the store and company. This is not worth it. I always read these reviews and I will tell you, your better off somewhere else.

P.S. be prepared to walk up 14-20 foot ladders about 100 times a day in business casual clothes with no AC. – less
Great other associates, customers and environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONMay 24, 2015
Pros: Social with customers
Cons: Standing all day
Town Shoes is a great environment to work in. Many things about Town Shoes are really good, such as, the employees, meeting/talking with regular and new clients.

My typical day at work would include management, sales, organization and coaching.
I would review previous results from the year before, month before and day before to insure we are on track for sales. Coaching in the moment with part-time employees to improve their sales by suggestions and giving constructive criticism. Organizing all new and old documents from the email system, reviewing them, and giving other associates the understanding – more... of them.

I have learned a lot during this job such as keeping organized. One of the main things I learned was not only learning and understanding the job, but being the support system for the other associates who also are learning and understanding it as well.

The hardest part of my job, is being on the feet most of the day.

The most enjoyable part of my day is realizing that you can make a difference in someones life just by connecting, and asking questions about someone. Giving the clients a great experience in the store, can change their day from good to bad. The success comes from having everyone that comes in, leave happy, even if they leave with or without a purchase. – less
Organize and clean shoes
shoe associate & stock (Former Employee), Edmonton,ABMay 12, 2015
Pros: Free snacks
Cons: n/a
Typically I would talk to consumers to make a commission. I would interact with anyone who would come into the store along with my coworkers. Often I would clean when it was not busy throughout the day. The hardest part of my job was to communicate, but I learned to improve my communication skills and working in the till. The management was good, they treated with me with respect. The coworkers were good to me as well. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the people.
It was alright
Key holder (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 12, 2015
Pros: The discount
Cons: management
A typical day at work consisted of the manager pushing you to meet unrealistic sales targets.I learned quite a bit about shoes and all the brands. My coworkers were almost all pleasant, the hardest part of the job was meeting the sales targets, the most enjoyable part was helping the customers finding what type of shoes they like, and the discount was nice too.
Town Shoes
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 13, 2015
I am there to help customer get the best shoes for their needs, I go into the back and get the size they are looking for. Then I watch as the customer walks around in the shoes and ask what they like about. Customer service is a huge part of my job and I love being their to support the client and get what they need.
Great place to get experience
Part-time Sales Associate (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Commission
Cons: Not enough shifts for part-time workers
This was my first job and I feel like I have gained an understanding of how it is like to work and be in the customer service business. I have learned a lot about how to handle different types of customers, and how to please them. I have gained lots of experience working here.
Staff is underpaid and under appreciated.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), CanadaMarch 19, 2015
Pros: great employee discount
Cons: the list goes on and on
Overall my experience working at Town Shoes was not great. They pay staff as little as possible and don't provide very good benefits. They claim to give staff free shoes, which is a lie. But they do have a great employee discount, 40% off. A major downside of Town Shoes is their inability to keep management. They under appreciate the staff they do have, and hire store managers that aren't right for the job a lot of the time. I would not recommend Town Shoes as a place to start any sort of retail career. They will not support you, or help you to reach your career goals. I wasted years with them, don't make the same mistake.
Productive and engaging
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONMarch 3, 2015
-Friendly coworkers
-Very organized environment
-Constant stream of people coming in and out of the store - there was always something to be done and a challenge to be met.
Terrible company to work for.
Key Holder / Assistant manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: the discount got better so that is probably the only thing worth it.
Cons: over worked, long hours, a lot of work for little pay, set up to compete with other staff members. head office staff feel they are above you always!
Town Shoes has a very HIGH turn over rate. They are always hiring.
There is no job security. The commissions system is set up basically to make everyone look like sharks and compete with each other. The free shoes is a LIE.
LP think they are the business and try to act so tough and assumes you are always stealing from the store.

Overall, it is not a well rounded company.
Productive and Fun Environment
Key Holder/Cashier/Sales (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONJanuary 3, 2015
*Great staff
*management was laid back and fun
*fast-paced
*flexible hours
*everyone works hard to reach sales goals
High stressed work environment
Key Holder (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 9, 2014
Love working for this company but associates are under appreciated
my time there was very disappointing
Stock Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: it was close to my house.
Cons: getting laid off.
-stocking and restocking material
-to use a scanner for shipping and receiving stock
-there was never a manager there at the store
-were not very helpful
-sorting the mess that was at this store
-getting laid off
Productive and a good working environment
Cashier and stock (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 4, 2014
Everyday at Town shoes is a good day. I learn something new about a customer or a new product, I learn about how to deal with different situations everyday and what to say to customers about products. The management at Town Shoes is great everything is organized and clean, the co-workers are just as great, everybody treats others with respect and helps each other when we need help. This job doesnt have a hard part, everything there is explained to you and if you need help with something there is always someone there to help. The most enjoyable part of the job is everything, if you enjoy helping customers and love shoes then this is a place to work.
Visual Merchandising/ Sales
Sales/ Visual Merchandising (Former Employee), TORONTOJuly 18, 2014
Working cash
closing and opening the store
Shoe Knowledge
rewards for selling the most shoes
Good costumers services , eficient at times to deliverys and safe driving
DRIVER truck 24 feets (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 25, 2014
knowledge about the truck like oil changes date , checking inspection daily and inspection daily all safe items like lights, brakes, fluids, air compressor , test air brakes, carry all documents requirements for the Ontario law regulations.. starting my routine at time in good knowledges all the costumer , points of loads and unloads. looking for saving diesel comsuption of combustible.. schearching the principals ways and alternatives,,,using maps and gps .......
Day at TS
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Ottawa West, ONJune 1, 2014
I always learn something new at work, the clients who come in are fun and like to talk which makes my shift fun and go fast.
The management team are fabulous, my manager is absolutely great and really understanding to all the co-workers.
Nothing hard about the job really. I love working with all my co-workers, theyre super enjoyable, nice to be around and helpful.
Industry