Town Shoes Employee Reviews

Good learning experience
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC1 February 2017
My time at Town Shoes greatly benefitted my retail expertise however the store I worked in was never busy enough (except at sale time) to make it worth while. We were given the option of minimum wage or commission if we met the quota however the store rarely met its own quota as a whole let alone for each individual employee. However, the staff was wonderful to work with and the store offered a wide range of different shoe brands which broadened my shoe knowledge and allowed me to use the employee discount without a second thought.
Pros
Discount, Location, Short hours
Cons
Never busy
Help to build careers
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 February 2017
Hourly plus commission
Takes inexperience talents and grow them
Good perks for employees
Strong sense of family within individual stores
Not a very good place to move up the ladder
Pros
Salary is decent
Cons
Not alot of upward mobility to grow from
Great work place
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON5 December 2016
Great work place mangers were awesome! Our stores DM was very involved and supportive of our needs. The discount is awesome for shoe lovers it’s a great place to work.
poor retail management
Stock Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON31 October 2016
very unprofessional management. made it very uncomfortable to work with managers. would take about and do things that were no where work related. i would not return to wrok for this company
positive environment
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2016
The employees and management team are very genuine and supportive! The culture is very positive and it is a fun environment. New ideas are encouraged and implemented. Town shoes, is a great employer with amazing perks and great discount!!!!
Pros
pizza lunches and great employee discounts
fun and outgoing atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2016
As my previous review says, The work place was fun, encouraging, and each day came with its own set of goals and challenges, and I loved that. Had the family business at home not come up, I would have stayed with Town Shoes and Moved up to management.
Pros
rewards towards free shoes
Cons
having to leave
Town shoes has been going under many changes over the past few year.
STOCK MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 May 2016
At Town shoes the level of work varied day by day. More recently stock associates pull double duty as both stock and sales.
A good team is working as one!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2016
A typical work day at Town Shoes was filled with fun and excitement. Working with the enthusiastic team was enjoyable. I had a the most dedicated hard working team at Town Shoes. It was a pleasure to work with the greatest team ever. We all learned together how to overcome the obstacles and challenges on a daily basis.
horrible management and generally a terrible company to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB4 May 2016
very slow business, management was a joke, co workers were wonderful people and deserve better, no raises were ever given, even to associates who were working there for over 3 years, associates were treated with blatant disrespect by manager and those in higher positions, manager was completely inflexible with the schedule and we would consistently have to miss events we had told the manager about weeks in advance.
Safe work environment
PT Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 April 2016
Co-workers are very friendly, always willing to help each other out.
Managers are a hit or miss. Current manager is very friendly, professional, hard working.
Pros
Good discount on shoes
Cons
not enough shifts given
Fun Place to Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 February 2016
I really enjoy working at Town Shoes, everyone is friendly and customers are nice. Workload balance is fine and commission and discount is awesome
Pros
commission and HUGE EXTRA discount for the employers1
Stressful
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2016
Pressure on Managers for sales, KPI's was unrealistic. You don't perform to their standards they let you go. You associates don't perform you write them up.
Pros
Cons
Overtime no pay
Happy Workplace
Store Operations, Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 February 2016
It's a generally happy and positive workplace. It is hard to advance within the company and they salary isn't as competitive as you'd hope. But, you do get free shoes so that's nice.
Great place for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  White Rock, BC15 February 2016
My manager/the owner was absolutely amazing. Always given the opportunity to improve and move ahead. Given responsibilities as you get ahead
Poor Upper Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2016
While a fun and challenging place to work, the upper management (DM's and area managers) failed to provide reasonable training, or useful criticisms
Productive workplace with large selection of shoes
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cookstown, ON6 January 2016
Many of the other co-workers and I work efficiently and complete tasks as a team and individually. Being employed at Town Shoes has furthered my customer service skills. As I enjoy shoes and fashion, my workplace has furthered my shoe and product knowledge.
Good for experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 November 2015
Interesting work environment
Management was decent
Learned a lot of ways to become the best sales rep possible.
Learned to put customers needs first and go above and beyond for them
Pros
experience
Cons
bad management
Sale's Associate Customer relations
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 October 2015
Everyday, we have a target sales which we need to meet. The day starts with going over promotions or sales which is going on in the company. Once shift starts, you greet customers whom come in, and try to meet their needs by bringing them their choice of shoes, boot and etc.
By far, the WORST company I have ever worked for
Sales Associate/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2015
I would never recommend this company to anyone. I had the worst experience of my life. I was with this company for a year and over time, I only grew to resent this company.

Let's start with when I got hired, I was given a key-holder position right on the spot when I got interviewed. I eventually learned that they were super short staffed because a great amount of associates quit due to poor management. I was told I would be getting paid $7/hr plus commission. Come to find out, every other associate in the whole company was getting at least minimum wage plus commission while myself and 3 other associates had to settle for $7/hr. We were told we would be reimbursed. This went on for a few weeks but in the end, we were all given some silly excuse and we never got reimbursed. I also heard that in some parts of the country, some associates get paid more in commission because they were offered a higher rate than others. I can't verify that but hey, I wouldn't doubt it after all these shady things this company would do to the people that make this company. I knew I should of quit then but I really wanted to give this company the benefit of the doubt because they were going through such a huge turn over, I kept saying to myself, things have to get better.

Things only got worse from there. The expectations were unrealistic. When there was no superior for several months, I was expected to manage and excel in sales. There were days where I couldn't focus on selling because I had to deal with merchandising or internal duties. Those paychecks were the worst, taking home only $7/hr
  more... was so degrading and upsetting. Why did I stay? I was told if I could continue doing my best, I'd get rewarded. I never was. Instead I got replaced by someone that I literally taught everything they know. I should of left then, but I didn't, why? I was so knowledgeable about everything, I got along with all my co-workers, I enjoyed every other aspect and I couldn't bring myself to quit.

As the months went by, I only learned that the superiors did not care about the existence of any one that was not in a management role. Any concern or issue that was ever brought up to a superior would only be shut down or prolonged with some lame excuse. There were times I had to reach out to the Head Office to address my issues but even then, they were absolutely no help at all. They would say, "I'm gonna have to talk to your manager about this." Nothing would be resolved from there, it was just a continuous cycle. Isn't it just disappointing that I can't even rely on my own superiors and I have to resort to HR or Head Office? Wait... There is no help from them either.

Many of the reviews I've read are absolutely true. This company is constantly changing managers, staff are underpaid and under appreciated, there is no support but favoritism and judgement. This company is so unprofessional on so many levels, you'd think such a big company that has 4 other banners within them would be a great company to work with. Absolutely not.
Pros
Decent discount on shoes.
Cons
Literally, everything else.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario7 September 2015
Town Shoes is a great place to work. Very supportive upper management . CEO of company fantastic, down to earth and very personable.
Pros
Team spirit
Cons
Work Life Balance

2.8