Town Shoes Employee Reviews in Canada

Safe work environment
PT Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 16, 2016
Co-workers are very friendly, always willing to help each other out.
Managers are a hit or miss. Current manager is very friendly, professional, hard working.
Pros
Good discount on shoes
Cons
not enough shifts given
Fun Place to Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 24, 2016
I really enjoy working at Town Shoes, everyone is friendly and customers are nice. Workload balance is fine and commission and discount is awesome
Pros
commission and HUGE EXTRA discount for the employers1
Stressful
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 22, 2016
Pressure on Managers for sales, KPI's was unrealistic. You don't perform to their standards they let you go. You associates don't perform you write them up.
Pros
Cons
Overtime no pay
Happy Workplace
Store Operations, Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 17, 2016
It's a generally happy and positive workplace. It is hard to advance within the company and they salary isn't as competitive as you'd hope. But, you do get free shoes so that's nice.
Great place for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  White Rock, BCFebruary 15, 2016
My manager/the owner was absolutely amazing. Always given the opportunity to improve and move ahead. Given responsibilities as you get ahead
Poor Upper Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 9, 2016
While a fun and challenging place to work, the upper management (DM's and area managers) failed to provide reasonable training, or useful criticisms
Productive workplace with large selection of shoes
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cookstown, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Many of the other co-workers and I work efficiently and complete tasks as a team and individually. Being employed at Town Shoes has furthered my customer service skills. As I enjoy shoes and fashion, my workplace has furthered my shoe and product knowledge.
Good for experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 13, 2015
Interesting work environment
Management was decent
Learned a lot of ways to become the best sales rep possible.
Learned to put customers needs first and go above and beyond for them
Pros
experience
Cons
bad management
Sale's Associate Customer relations
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 30, 2015
Everyday, we have a target sales which we need to meet. The day starts with going over promotions or sales which is going on in the company. Once shift starts, you greet customers whom come in, and try to meet their needs by bringing them their choice of shoes, boot and etc.
By far, the WORST company I have ever worked for
Sales Associate/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 25, 2015
I would never recommend this company to anyone. I had the worst experience of my life. I was with this company for a year and over time, I only grew to resent this company.

Let's start with when I got hired, I was given a key-holder position right on the spot when I got interviewed. I eventually learned that they were super short staffed because a great amount of associates quit due to poor management. I was told I would be getting paid $7/hr plus commission. Come to find out, every other associate in the whole company was getting at least minimum wage plus commission while myself and 3 other associates had to settle for $7/hr. We were told we would be reimbursed. This went on for a few weeks but in the end, we were all given some silly excuse and we never got reimbursed. I also heard that in some parts of the country, some associates get paid more in commission because they were offered a higher rate than others. I can't verify that but hey, I wouldn't doubt it after all these shady things this company would do to the people that make this company. I knew I should of quit then but I really wanted to give this company the benefit of the doubt because they were going through such a huge turn over, I kept saying to myself, things have to get better.

Things only got worse from there. The expectations were unrealistic. When there was no superior for several months, I was expected to manage and excel in sales. There were days where I couldn't focus on selling because I had to deal with merchandising or internal duties. Those paychecks were the worst, taking home only $7/hr
  more... was so degrading and upsetting. Why did I stay? I was told if I could continue doing my best, I'd get rewarded. I never was. Instead I got replaced by someone that I literally taught everything they know. I should of left then, but I didn't, why? I was so knowledgeable about everything, I got along with all my co-workers, I enjoyed every other aspect and I couldn't bring myself to quit.

As the months went by, I only learned that the superiors did not care about the existence of any one that was not in a management role. Any concern or issue that was ever brought up to a superior would only be shut down or prolonged with some lame excuse. There were times I had to reach out to the Head Office to address my issues but even then, they were absolutely no help at all. They would say, "I'm gonna have to talk to your manager about this." Nothing would be resolved from there, it was just a continuous cycle. Isn't it just disappointing that I can't even rely on my own superiors and I have to resort to HR or Head Office? Wait... There is no help from them either.

Many of the reviews I've read are absolutely true. This company is constantly changing managers, staff are underpaid and under appreciated, there is no support but favoritism and judgement. This company is so unprofessional on so many levels, you'd think such a big company that has 4 other banners within them would be a great company to work with. Absolutely not.
Pros
Decent discount on shoes.
Cons
Literally, everything else.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  OntarioSeptember 7, 2015
Town Shoes is a great place to work. Very supportive upper management . CEO of company fantastic, down to earth and very personable.
Pros
Team spirit
Cons
Work Life Balance
Horrible!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 16, 2015
My experience with this company was absolutely horrible. The manager of my store was immature, uneducated, and unfair. The manager let personal feelings get in the way of scheduling shifts (i.e. if you weren't a favourite, she would give you 4-4.5 hours a week and usually sent home early), would hire more people when she couldn't give out more hours to the staff she already had, and did not train us at all. The company itself is cheap. The main thing we read in the handbook is KEEP THE CUSTOMER HAPPY!! If they want a full refund for a scratch you can only see with a microscope, give it to them; if the price on the tag differs with that on the computer when it scans, honour the tag; the associates at my store were discouraged to do so, and if they did it anyway, reprimanded harshly. The manager only trained us when the DM was supposed to come in. The manager told associates that she would give shifts based on sales per hour of the previous week: she never did. The company itself is cheap, unreliable, and poor quality. The dye from the leather bled onto my feet from wearing them all day long. They did not stretch the way they were supposed to, nor did they stay wearable for long. My pay was horrible (probably because the manager never scheduled me for money making shifts). Near the end of my employment, I gave up on selling and just stood around for the number of hours I was there. I had no incentive to sell, nor did I particularly care if I met my daily sales goal. Incredibly unimpressed with the company, and my old store. I'm so happy I left.
Pros
40% off discount; Great co-workers
Cons
Everything; unfair hour distribution; poor management; unfair wages
Horrible
ASM (Former Employee) –  TorontoAugust 10, 2015
Hated it! Poor management, unorganized and no one to speak to at head office. Had to hound them for about a year to get my benefits set up, they missed pay days for the entire company (canada wide... one of which was boxing day) pay you very little. too much stress, not nearly worth it
Support Office is a Head office. Values are fake!
GM (Former Employee) –  GTAJuly 25, 2015
GM for DSW (Townshoes). Head office likes to call itself.. Support Office. There is 0 support from them to the stores. They say they want your opinion to grow the company, however if you give feedback that is true but upsets head office.. Be careful! There will be retribution from them.

This is a company that does NOT live up to there values... Every values, Honesty, Enthusiasm, Accountability and Respect.

These values are for head office, but they are just words at Store level. HR will NOT back up the associate if a situation has to do with a head office person. They will only pit Managers against Associates.

If your a robot and don't want to use your brain, this company is for you.

Good Luck!

I quit!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Non trustworthy head office
A good start into retail
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJuly 15, 2015
The company seems to be in a constant state of trying to get its balance.

Management is largely based on who you got on with as opposed to ability which is standard in retail.

Unrealistic goals given based off of stores in other malls with much higher traffic.

No real company set training policy.
Pros
Discount on Shoes, awesome to work for part time
Cons
Just kind of a mess of a company
NOT WORTH IT!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  OntarioJune 7, 2015
STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY! my experience as well as 7 other part time staff members were not so great. (8 people including myself no longer work there - all within a 2 month period) letters were sent to HR about the manager bullying staff, and nothing was done. HR is no help, your on your own.

The DM and manager were too close in my opinion. Other people the mall thought they were husband and wife. This was the store managers first management job as well as being very new to the country, that being said, people would work 9-10hours with maybe, I mean maybe one 30min break. He had no clue about labour laws of Ontario and infected the staff like a disease. One of the part time staff had a spouse in the hospital and didn't let them leave work early until everything was finished. meanwhile three other staff working could have easily helped out. (this is called being a human being) If you dared to share an opinion, you were scrutinized. You literally felt like a slave and prisoner. He will beat you to the ground and keep you there. He treats people like slaves and runs the store like a dictatorship. If a customer came in asking HIM for a shoe size, he hands the shoe off to someone else because he doesn't want to do the work. WHAT THE HECK kind of customer service is that. If I were the customer, I would want the person I asked to get me the shoe, not some errand boy/girl. It's pathetic.

I've been in retail for 10 years and never have seen such horrific abuse. The company itself has a 95% turnover at head office. They give directions without proof reading documents and
  more... unclear policies. The store had no AC and customers were over heated. The staff had so much sweat running down them that it was as if they were going to faint. This is just a small fraction what was going on in the store and company. This is not worth it. I always read these reviews and I will tell you, your better off somewhere else.

P.S. be prepared to walk up 14-20 foot ladders about 100 times a day in business casual clothes with no AC.
Pros
discount on medicore shoes
Cons
the list goes on
Great other associates, customers and environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 24, 2015
Town Shoes is a great environment to work in. Many things about Town Shoes are really good, such as, the employees, meeting/talking with regular and new clients.

My typical day at work would include management, sales, organization and coaching.
I would review previous results from the year before, month before and day before to insure we are on track for sales. Coaching in the moment with part-time employees to improve their sales by suggestions and giving constructive criticism. Organizing all new and old documents from the email system, reviewing them, and giving other associates the understanding of them.

I have learned a lot during this job such as keeping organized. One of the main things I learned was not only learning and understanding the job, but being the support system for the other associates who also are learning and understanding it as well.

The hardest part of my job, is being on the feet most of the day.

The most enjoyable part of my day is realizing that you can make a difference in someones life just by connecting, and asking questions about someone. Giving the clients a great experience in the store, can change their day from good to bad. The success comes from having everyone that comes in, leave happy, even if they leave with or without a purchase.
Pros
Social with customers
Cons
Standing all day
Organize and clean shoes
shoe associate & stock (Former Employee) –  Edmonton,ABMay 12, 2015
Typically I would talk to consumers to make a commission. I would interact with anyone who would come into the store along with my coworkers. Often I would clean when it was not busy throughout the day. The hardest part of my job was to communicate, but I learned to improve my communication skills and working in the till. The management was good, they treated with me with respect. The coworkers were good to me as well. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the people.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
n/a
It was alright
Key holder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 12, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of the manager pushing you to meet unrealistic sales targets.I learned quite a bit about shoes and all the brands. My coworkers were almost all pleasant, the hardest part of the job was meeting the sales targets, the most enjoyable part was helping the customers finding what type of shoes they like, and the discount was nice too.
Pros
The discount
Cons
management
Town Shoes
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 13, 2015
I am there to help customer get the best shoes for their needs, I go into the back and get the size they are looking for. Then I watch as the customer walks around in the shoes and ask what they like about. Customer service is a huge part of my job and I love being their to support the client and get what they need.