Town Shoes Employee Reviews in Canada

Happy Workplace
Store Operations, Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 17, 2016
It's a generally happy and positive workplace. It is hard to advance within the company and they salary isn't as competitive as you'd hope. But, you do get free shoes so that's nice.
Horrible
ASM (Former Employee) –  TorontoAugust 10, 2015
Hated it! Poor management, unorganized and no one to speak to at head office. Had to hound them for about a year to get my benefits set up, they missed pay days for the entire company (canada wide... one of which was boxing day) pay you very little. too much stress, not nearly worth it
Staff is underpaid and under appreciated.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  CanadaMarch 19, 2015
Overall my experience working at Town Shoes was not great. They pay staff as little as possible and don't provide very good benefits. They claim to give staff free shoes, which is a lie. But they do have a great employee discount, 40% off. A major downside of Town Shoes is their inability to keep management. They under appreciate the staff they do have, and hire store managers that aren't right for the job a lot of the time. I would not recommend Town Shoes as a place to start any sort of retail career. They will not support you, or help you to reach your career goals. I wasted years with them, don't make the same mistake.
Pros
great employee discount
Cons
the list goes on and on
horrible management and generally a terrible company to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMay 4, 2016
very slow business, management was a joke, co workers were wonderful people and deserve better, no raises were ever given, even to associates who were working there for over 3 years, associates were treated with blatant disrespect by manager and those in higher positions, manager was completely inflexible with the schedule and we would consistently have to miss events we had told the manager about weeks in advance.
A good team is working as one!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2016
A typical work day at Town Shoes was filled with fun and excitement. Working with the enthusiastic team was enjoyable. I had a the most dedicated hard working team at Town Shoes. It was a pleasure to work with the greatest team ever. We all learned together how to overcome the obstacles and challenges on a daily basis.
Fun Place to Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 24, 2016
I really enjoy working at Town Shoes, everyone is friendly and customers are nice. Workload balance is fine and commission and discount is awesome
Pros
commission and HUGE EXTRA discount for the employers1
Safe work environment
PT Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 16, 2016
Co-workers are very friendly, always willing to help each other out.
Managers are a hit or miss. Current manager is very friendly, professional, hard working.
Pros
Good discount on shoes
Cons
not enough shifts given
Poor Upper Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 9, 2016
While a fun and challenging place to work, the upper management (DM's and area managers) failed to provide reasonable training, or useful criticisms
Sale's Associate Customer relations
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 30, 2015
Everyday, we have a target sales which we need to meet. The day starts with going over promotions or sales which is going on in the company. Once shift starts, you greet customers whom come in, and try to meet their needs by bringing them their choice of shoes, boot and etc.
Productive workplace with large selection of shoes
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cookstown, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Many of the other co-workers and I work efficiently and complete tasks as a team and individually. Being employed at Town Shoes has furthered my customer service skills. As I enjoy shoes and fashion, my workplace has furthered my shoe and product knowledge.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  OntarioSeptember 7, 2015
Town Shoes is a great place to work. Very supportive upper management . CEO of company fantastic, down to earth and very personable.
Pros
Team spirit
Cons
Work Life Balance
Stressful
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 22, 2016
Pressure on Managers for sales, KPI's was unrealistic. You don't perform to their standards they let you go. You associates don't perform you write them up.
Pros
Cons
Overtime no pay
Good for experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 13, 2015
Interesting work environment
Management was decent
Learned a lot of ways to become the best sales rep possible.
Learned to put customers needs first and go above and beyond for them
Pros
experience
Cons
bad management
Great place for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  White Rock, BCFebruary 15, 2016
My manager/the owner was absolutely amazing. Always given the opportunity to improve and move ahead. Given responsibilities as you get ahead
Stay away-far far away1
Manager (Former Employee) –  VancouverApril 27, 2014
This is by far the worst company i have every worked for. The work life balance is non existent- you could be in the hospital and your boss will still call you. Managers are expected to get a district managers approval when hiring full timers- clearly we are all incompetent ;). District managers only concentrate on negative- there is no co-develpoment on how to improve. Rules are made up by DMs as they go. You cannot win with this company.

Salary is way belove average! Assistant managers make more than managers and regular sales associates make the most! Sound backwards? IT IS!
Pros
good discount 40% off
Cons
i could go on for days
Support Office is a Head office. Values are fake!
GM (Former Employee) –  GTAJuly 25, 2015
GM for DSW (Townshoes). Head office likes to call itself.. Support Office. There is 0 support from them to the stores. They say they want your opinion to grow the company, however if you give feedback that is true but upsets head office.. Be careful! There will be retribution from them.

This is a company that does NOT live up to there values... Every values, Honesty, Enthusiasm, Accountability and Respect.

These values are for head office, but they are just words at Store level. HR will NOT back up the associate if a situation has to do with a head office person. They will only pit Managers against Associates.

If your a robot and don't want to use your brain, this company is for you.

Good Luck!

I quit!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Non trustworthy head office
Terrible company to work for.
Key Holder / Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2015
Town Shoes has a very HIGH turn over rate. They are always hiring.
There is no job security. The commissions system is set up basically to make everyone look like sharks and compete with each other. The free shoes is a LIE.
LP think they are the business and try to act so tough and assumes you are always stealing from the store.

Overall, it is not a well rounded company.
Pros
the discount got better so that is probably the only thing worth it.
Cons
over worked, long hours, a lot of work for little pay, set up to compete with other staff members. head office staff feel they are above you always!
A good start into retail
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJuly 15, 2015
The company seems to be in a constant state of trying to get its balance.

Management is largely based on who you got on with as opposed to ability which is standard in retail.

Unrealistic goals given based off of stores in other malls with much higher traffic.

No real company set training policy.
Pros
Discount on Shoes, awesome to work for part time
Cons
Just kind of a mess of a company
Organize and clean shoes
shoe associate & stock (Former Employee) –  Edmonton,ABMay 12, 2015
Typically I would talk to consumers to make a commission. I would interact with anyone who would come into the store along with my coworkers. Often I would clean when it was not busy throughout the day. The hardest part of my job was to communicate, but I learned to improve my communication skills and working in the till. The management was good, they treated with me with respect. The coworkers were good to me as well. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the people.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
n/a
Horrible!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 16, 2015
My experience with this company was absolutely horrible. The manager of my store was immature, uneducated, and unfair. The manager let personal feelings get in the way of scheduling shifts (i.e. if you weren't a favourite, she would give you 4-4.5 hours a week and usually sent home early), would hire more people when she couldn't give out more hours to the staff she already had, and did not train us at all. The company itself is cheap. The main thing we read in the handbook is KEEP THE CUSTOMER HAPPY!! If they want a full refund for a scratch you can only see with a microscope, give it to them; if the price on the tag differs with that on the computer when it scans, honour the tag; the associates at my store were discouraged to do so, and if they did it anyway, reprimanded harshly. The manager only trained us when the DM was supposed to come in. The manager told associates that she would give shifts based on sales per hour of the previous week: she never did. The company itself is cheap, unreliable, and poor quality. The dye from the leather bled onto my feet from wearing them all day long. They did not stretch the way they were supposed to, nor did they stay wearable for long. My pay was horrible (probably because the manager never scheduled me for money making shifts). Near the end of my employment, I gave up on selling and just stood around for the number of hours I was there. I had no incentive to sell, nor did I particularly care if I met my daily sales goal. Incredibly unimpressed with the company, and my old store. I'm so happy I left.
Pros
40% off discount; Great co-workers
Cons
Everything; unfair hour distribution; poor management; unfair wages