Town Shoes Employee Reviews

Happy Workplace
Store Operations, Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 17, 2016
It's a generally happy and positive workplace. It is hard to advance within the company and they salary isn't as competitive as you'd hope. But, you do get free shoes so that's nice.
horrible management and generally a terrible company to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMay 4, 2016
very slow business, management was a joke, co workers were wonderful people and deserve better, no raises were ever given, even to associates who were working there for over 3 years, associates were treated with blatant disrespect by manager and those in higher positions, manager was completely inflexible with the schedule and we would consistently have to miss events we had told the manager about weeks in advance.
fun and outgoing atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2016
As my previous review says, The work place was fun, encouraging, and each day came with its own set of goals and challenges, and I loved that. Had the family business at home not come up, I would have stayed with Town Shoes and Moved up to management.
Pros
rewards towards free shoes
Cons
having to leave
Staff is underpaid and under appreciated.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  CanadaMarch 19, 2015
Overall my experience working at Town Shoes was not great. They pay staff as little as possible and don't provide very good benefits. They claim to give staff free shoes, which is a lie. But they do have a great employee discount, 40% off. A major downside of Town Shoes is their inability to keep management. They under appreciate the staff they do have, and hire store managers that aren't right for the job a lot of the time. I would not recommend Town Shoes as a place to start any sort of retail career. They will not support you, or help you to reach your career goals. I wasted years with them, don't make the same mistake.
Pros
great employee discount
Cons
the list goes on and on
A good team is working as one!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2016
A typical work day at Town Shoes was filled with fun and excitement. Working with the enthusiastic team was enjoyable. I had a the most dedicated hard working team at Town Shoes. It was a pleasure to work with the greatest team ever. We all learned together how to overcome the obstacles and challenges on a daily basis.
Town shoes has been going under many changes over the past few year.
STOCK MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 29, 2016
At Town shoes the level of work varied day by day. More recently stock associates pull double duty as both stock and sales.
Poor Upper Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 9, 2016
While a fun and challenging place to work, the upper management (DM's and area managers) failed to provide reasonable training, or useful criticisms
Safe work environment
PT Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 16, 2016
Co-workers are very friendly, always willing to help each other out.
Managers are a hit or miss. Current manager is very friendly, professional, hard working.
Pros
Good discount on shoes
Cons
not enough shifts given
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  OntarioSeptember 7, 2015
Town Shoes is a great place to work. Very supportive upper management . CEO of company fantastic, down to earth and very personable.
Pros
Team spirit
Cons
Work Life Balance
Horrible
ASM (Former Employee) –  TorontoAugust 10, 2015
Hated it! Poor management, unorganized and no one to speak to at head office. Had to hound them for about a year to get my benefits set up, they missed pay days for the entire company (canada wide... one of which was boxing day) pay you very little. too much stress, not nearly worth it
Sale's Associate Customer relations
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 30, 2015
Everyday, we have a target sales which we need to meet. The day starts with going over promotions or sales which is going on in the company. Once shift starts, you greet customers whom come in, and try to meet their needs by bringing them their choice of shoes, boot and etc.
Good for experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 13, 2015
Interesting work environment
Management was decent
Learned a lot of ways to become the best sales rep possible.
Learned to put customers needs first and go above and beyond for them
Pros
experience
Cons
bad management
Fun Place to Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 24, 2016
I really enjoy working at Town Shoes, everyone is friendly and customers are nice. Workload balance is fine and commission and discount is awesome
Pros
commission and HUGE EXTRA discount for the employers1
Terrible company to work for.
Key Holder / Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2015
Town Shoes has a very HIGH turn over rate. They are always hiring.
There is no job security. The commissions system is set up basically to make everyone look like sharks and compete with each other. The free shoes is a LIE.
LP think they are the business and try to act so tough and assumes you are always stealing from the store.

Overall, it is not a well rounded company.
Pros
the discount got better so that is probably the only thing worth it.
Cons
over worked, long hours, a lot of work for little pay, set up to compete with other staff members. head office staff feel they are above you always!
Stressful
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 22, 2016
Pressure on Managers for sales, KPI's was unrealistic. You don't perform to their standards they let you go. You associates don't perform you write them up.
Pros
Cons
Overtime no pay
Fun, fast paced work environment
Sales Associate - Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ONJanuary 27, 2013
A typical day at Town Shoes is to serve customers but also to make sure that the store is clean and tidy. During the Christmas season is when it is very busy and sometimes chaotic.
I have learned how to serve customers and to deal with complaints and fun facts about feet and shoes.
Management is very nice and the company is a good company to work for.
At the location I worked at my co-workers are very fun and enthusiastic.
The hardest part of the job is when clients come in and they are asking for very unrealistic requests and sometimes they dont understand that there are certain things that are out of our hands and can not actually fulfil
The most enjoyable part of the job are the people. If you are a people person then this is a perfect place for you
Pros
incentives to get free pairs of shoes
Cons
Productive workplace with large selection of shoes
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cookstown, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Many of the other co-workers and I work efficiently and complete tasks as a team and individually. Being employed at Town Shoes has furthered my customer service skills. As I enjoy shoes and fashion, my workplace has furthered my shoe and product knowledge.
Great place for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  White Rock, BCFebruary 15, 2016
My manager/the owner was absolutely amazing. Always given the opportunity to improve and move ahead. Given responsibilities as you get ahead
Stay away-far far away1
Manager (Former Employee) –  VancouverApril 27, 2014
This is by far the worst company i have every worked for. The work life balance is non existent- you could be in the hospital and your boss will still call you. Managers are expected to get a district managers approval when hiring full timers- clearly we are all incompetent ;). District managers only concentrate on negative- there is no co-develpoment on how to improve. Rules are made up by DMs as they go. You cannot win with this company.

Salary is way belove average! Assistant managers make more than managers and regular sales associates make the most! Sound backwards? IT IS!
Pros
good discount 40% off
Cons
i could go on for days
A good start into retail
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJuly 15, 2015
The company seems to be in a constant state of trying to get its balance.

Management is largely based on who you got on with as opposed to ability which is standard in retail.

Unrealistic goals given based off of stores in other malls with much higher traffic.

No real company set training policy.
Pros
Discount on Shoes, awesome to work for part time
Cons
Just kind of a mess of a company

2.9