EDUCATION ASSISTANTS, SEASONAL – OUTREACH EDUCATION AQUATIC PLANTS PROGRAM and CONSERVATION YOUTH CORPS – 4 Month Contract
Boyd Centre, 9755 Canada Company Avenue, Woodbridge, ON L4L 1A7 and Various Conservation sites around the GTA.
4 Month Contract Positions, April 28th – August 29th, 2014 (3 positions available)
DIVISION: Watershed Management
SALARY RANGE: $18.28 per hour
SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
There are 3 seasonal education assistant positions available. The successful candidates will help to deliver the Aquatic Plants Program and the Conservation Youth Corps program. The Aquatic Plants Program operates in May and June and the Conservation Youth Corp program operates in July and August.
Your responsibilities related to the Aquatic Plants Program delivery will include drawing on your teaching skills to engage elementary and high school students in wetland restoration activities. You will be required to independently lead interactive games, aquatic planting, water quality demonstrations, and nature interpretation hikes. On a daily basis, additional duties as a member of this team will include loading, unloading and cleaning of program supplies and equipment and reviewing health and safety policy and procedures.
Responsibilities related to the Conservation Youth Corps Program include being a daily team leader to 10 high school students 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. You and your team of students will be transported daily by school bus to work outdoors at various sites across Peel Region and York Region. You will lead your student volunteers through various outdoor tasks including trail building and maintenance, picnic table construction, building maintenance and tree planting. Occupational health and safety is a major responsibility of this position.
NOTE: Hiring at TRCA is contingent to the clearance of the Vulnerable Sector Screening. Candidates will be asked for a screening only where they have been selected as the leading candidate.
- Post-secondary education in an environmental field, education or equivalent is an asset;
- Excellent oral communication skills;
- Experience working with children in a camp, daycare, school or similar setting;
- Experience working with diverse individuals and groups;
- Experience working with the delivery of environmental programs;
- Strong organizational skills and time management skills;
- First aid certification;
- Daily access to a vehicle and valid Ontario drivers’ license required;
SUMMARY OF MAJOR TASKS:
Perform the following tasks under general supervision:
1. Deliver curriculum linked wetland education programs to elementary and high school students at wetland restoration sites across the Greater Toronto Area.
2. Transport, set up, clean, inventory and dismantle program equipment and supplies daily.
3. Lead groups of high school volunteers through outdoor work tasks and ensure at all times that health and safety policy and procedures are followed.
4. Repair and maintain inventories of program materials and equipment.
5. Maintain program records and enter data as required.
6. Provide support to TRCA stewardship projects and other outreach education programs as required.
7. Assist with logistical tasks related to the programs including portable toilet delivery, health and safety reports and the organization of participant photos.
8. Transportation of supplies with TRCA fleet vehicles
9. Other duties as required.
FORWARD COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO:
5 Shoreham Drive
Fax: (416) 661-6898
By: Sunday, March 16, 2014
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.