Toronto Transit Commission

Toronto Transit Commission Employee Reviews in Canada

NDT Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 15, 2015
The Commission has always provided a great environment to work in. The people are great as well as the company policies, safety is always the priority.
Great working ethics and great working environment
Risk Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 24, 2015
Possibility to share your knowledge and really make your skills work for the people of Toronto in a tangible and progressive way
Pros
diverse culture
Cons
small department
Good place to work with job security, benofits, life-work balance etc
Supervisor Estimating (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2014
35 hours per week is fairly descent work hours in order to balance the life and work and is a good place for people for with experience and in their forties and above as they would have gone through their learning period at other work places.

As this being a very large organization with several years of existence, everything is organized and things move very smoothly and the management system is excellent.

Co-workers are very cooperative.

There are lot of things to learn at TTC, when it comes to working in an operating facility with limited hours (two to three hours) of work during non-revenue hours. It is very challenging.
good
Customer Services Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 16, 2015
Toronto Transit Commission is the biggest transportation provider in Canada.As the biggest platform it has succesfully been doing it duty towards both employees and customers.
Pros
committed to employees
Cons
late hour
Nice place to work for especially in terms of benefits and job reliability
Station Attendant (Summer Position) (Former Employee) –  TorontoOctober 31, 2014
Nice place to work at. Good benefits and pension plan. Co-Workers are nice. Management is ok as well.
How to get in?
Trying to get hired (Former Employee) –  torontoAugust 13, 2015
Trying to get hired by TTC for some time now. It seems that I need to know someone on the inside to work there. Since I don't plan on becoming a driver for the company getting in is near impossible. Any advice would be helpful thank you.
Fun at times
Service Person (Former Employee) –  torontoMay 21, 2013
A typical day is fueling and waiting for them to call me to drop off a bus some where. I learned how to drive DZ bus. the management was not good at times, I got along with my co-works. The hardest part of the job is not have anything to do I don't like not having anything to do. What I liked about the job was pay and benefits.
Excellent Place to Work
Administrative Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2014
I believe if you like your career choice than the salary does not matter it is important to enjoy what you do since we spend 75% of our lives working!
benefits
Cons
benefits not the same for union as for staff employee's
Driving was always my dream. Getting this job was great for me.
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 16, 2014
It was not work going to my job. I loved it. Got trained on all aspects and equipment plus promotion as I went through my 35 years. No complaints.
Pros
great hourly wage as operator. good salary when on staff.
Cons
none for me.
Productive, and something new to learn everyday
Prosecutor Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 15, 2015
Meeting with the TTC Prosecutor and helping organize,and prepare case briefs, early resolution meetings, photocopying, filing, going to trials and going before a Justice of the Peace.
Excellent pay, Benefits, and job security
OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2015
Good pay but long hours. Early mornings, afternoons and nights available. Employees have the ability to pick their own shifts within a seniority based system.
Exciting Opportunities; Great Program; Good for Toronto
Manager - Contract Administration (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 4, 2012
As a senior executive, there has been ample opportunity to add value to project processes and program issues, including program-wide purchasing and product strategies, cross-department networking, and multicontract coordination. The Transit Expansion Program has been a fantastic experience in multibillion dollar infrastructure and mass transit planning and construction. By having two roles, gained significant experience in procurement, contract administration, project management and contracts management for a major program. Staff were fantastic to work with and my collaborative management style suited them well. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting involved in solution finding and helping teams find answers through forecasting and risk management; the hardest part of the job was working with sometimes conflicting signals from key stakeholders, with major impacts regarding organizational structures.
Pros
a huge, major program with many dimensions and depth
Cons
political and staffing uncertainties
completely fulfilling job, financially, and socially
Wheel Trans Driver, and Collector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 6, 2015
A typical day at work included meeting with fellow employees, who were generally very pleasant, although some felt the job was difficult. I did not find this , since my enjoyment of the public was about to begin. I did not find it hard to deal with any member of the public, and there were so many people that came by the Collector Booth,that had problems, and difficulties. Directions, cost of fares , routes, directions to places in the city, and general information regarding the use of the Transit System.i enjoyed all the questions and was able to give answers to most questions., as I feel it is my nature to be able to help others. I made friends with many of the passengers, and am still in contact with many of them. The hardest part of the job, was when a difficult passenger , would have unreasonable requests. My co workers, were, as i was, all in the same situation, and so my sympathies with their problems were easily understood. Management at the TTC was very supportive, should a problem arise, and were always available for consultation should a difficulty occur. I respected the management, as they knew the limits of what the commission could do to help difficult situations.
I learned, that the general public needed assistance, in understanding the operations of a Transit Situation, and needed direction as to destinations, and services available to them, as Transit riders Also I learned,that any person using a public service, is the same as you and I, they need assistance, and should be given any help that you can give them, based on your experience, knowledge,
  more... and empathy.  less
Pros
Well Paid for what we did, Enjoyed the public interadction
Cons
Some Booths were either too cold, or too Hot. Nothing else
Great job but hours, obligatory nightshift interupted healthy lifestyle
Garage Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 11, 2012
Typical day busy, productive, but not pressured to push to exertion. Learned basic automobile regulative maintenance skills. Strategic systematic procedures to complete tasks for multiple vehicles given by management. Great co-workers. Difficult task of shampooing bus seats in sweltering heat temperatures. Great outside work in the fresh air.
Pros
great productive, respectful, natural environment. good lenthy break periods
Cons
obligatory sunset shiftwork
Great job but hours, obligatory nightshift interupted healthy lifestyle
Garage Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 11, 2012
Typical day busy, productive, but not pressured to push to exertion. Learned basic automobile regulative maintenance skills. Systematic strategic procedures to complete tasks for multiple vehicles given by management. Great co-workers. Difficult task of shampooing bus seats in sweltering heat temperatures. Great outside work in the fresh air.
Pros
great productive, respectful, natural environment. good lenthy break periods
Cons
obligatory sunset shiftwork
TTC
Software QA Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 12, 2015
Requested to travel on public transportation with significant amount of TTC money in cash, some time during night time.

Requested to work irregular work hours a day or two before they are scheduled. Example: It’s very hard and often not possible to arrange child care for 6:00 AM (at least 1 hour before requested start time at 7:00AM) for such short period of time.

None of these conditions above were mentioned in my contract.
Excellent place to work
Administration and Claims Clerk Internship (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 24, 2014
Excellent place to work..
Politics like any other place
I was only volunteering
and new opportunities for entry levels are minimal
Pros
good company
Cons
hard to obtain a position
Over all a great place to work.
Streetcar Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 1, 2014
I would usually get into work an hour early ,so to relax make out my paperwork for the day then i would go out to the yard and inspect my streetcar for safety and any defects before taking it out into service.Then leaving on time as per schedule and did my best to keep to schedule as safety allowed eg.rush hour traffic.I would do an eight hour to nine and a half hour shift usually with only twenty to thirty min. breaks but only if i got to the relief points on time in that case if late would just continue on and later phone in the overtime. when i got to my relief point for the day i would turn the streetcar to my relief operator and go home. We had alot of recertifications every 3 years and also public relation seminars also safety meetings and regular job up dates. Also human rights is very high on the ttcs list and was always completely covered. the hardest part of the job was coping with the everchanging rush hour traffic and all season weather conditions but it always kept me sharp and interested in my job.
Fun place to work with new challenges each day
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 12, 2013
Each day is challenging day on the road. I always respect other people and try to cheer up during the bus ride. My co-workers are excellent and we release our stress by sharing valuable work experience. I love helping people especially seniors and people with disability. If i can bring smile on there face it makes my day.
Pros
meeting interesting people.
Fun Workplace
Auditing Clerk and Divisional Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 13, 2015
The Toronto Transit Commission is a fun and rewarding company. The people that work there are great. . The hardest part of the job was

4.2