Toronto Transit Commission Employee Reviews

fun workplace good customers
customer representative (Current Employee) –  subway platforms20 August 2015
i love to work as a costumer service representative.communicating with customers and helping them is very good work.
i utilize my communication skills.
co workers are always helpful.
i love this work so there is no hard part, i enjoyed every single minute.
Pros
good break time.
Cons
less hours
They take care of their employees
Crime Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto15 October 2015
I worked at the TTC for 33 years. They took care of me and my family and I was always proud to state where I worked. The employees at the TTC are the best. We are dedicated to customer service.
Pros
Free transit employee pass
Cons
shift work
productive and fun work place
Customer Service Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2015
mostly busy work place
how to better serve customers and understanding the meaning of providing customers with help
management was excellent
standing for long hours
enjoyed helping commuters get to their destinations
Pros
Experience
Cons
Standing
TTC
Software QA Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 March 2015
Requested to travel on public transportation with significant amount of TTC money in cash, some time during night time.

Requested to work irregular work hours a day or two before they are scheduled. Example: It’s very hard and often not possible to arrange child care for 6:00 AM (at least 1 hour before requested start time at 7:00AM) for such short period of time.

None of these conditions above were mentioned in my contract.
guest service
guest service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 February 2015
Working with TTC can be fun and also hard, People can make your day but some can put your day down by just giving you one rude look or one rude comment. I learned to be very outgoing and how to handle hard times. My co- workers are the sweetest, they help when its needed. The hardest part of the job is standing outside for that one hour or more. The most enjoyable part of working with ttc is knowing i just helped someone and also put a smile on their face
Great place to work with vertical movement
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2015
Great place to work and make a career out of. Many professional development courses made available so all employees have the opportunity to move to different positions and further their career
Good Workpalce
C#/.Net Intranet SharePoint Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2015
Good workplace for starters to gain lots of experience and learn from scratch. The boss is very nice and the work environment is very friendly. You always have your hands busy which is a good thing.
We had a good soccer team
Bus and Subway Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2015
Was a great place to work good benefits and decent wages.
But with that came quite a bit of pressure and driving buses down town Toronto can be very demanding I also drove subways trains and trolley coaches.
Pros
Split shifts
Cons
The seniority system.
Friendly environment
Specifier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2015
Consultant work for TTC only

Good working environment.

Good communication between management and employee.

Good working hours.

High security requirement.
Process oriented not Goal oriented
Senior BA, (Current Employee) –  toronto, on13 October 2015
- there are many exciting projects in the company
- Process oriented not Goal oriented
- takes time to see the result of your work
- Decent amount of red tapes and politics which is expected of a big company
Highly work pressure with lots of new thing to learn.
Construction site superintendent (Current Employee) –  Walsh, Canada18 September 2015
No matter it's winter or summer work environment was so busy and tremendous busy with lots of communication. Must have good management skill with ability to work under pressure.
Good place to work with job security, benofits, life-work balance etc
Supervisor Estimating (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2014
35 hours per week is fairly descent work hours in order to balance the life and work and is a good place for people for with experience and in their forties and above as they would have gone through their learning period at other work places.

As this being a very large organization with several years of existence, everything is organized and things move very smoothly and the management system is excellent.

Co-workers are very cooperative.

There are lot of things to learn at TTC, when it comes to working in an operating facility with limited hours (two to three hours) of work during non-revenue hours. It is very challenging.
Subway janitor/using floor zamboni to clean subway platforms
Janitorial Service Worker (Former Employee) –  young street toronto canada10 July 2012
Up at 4 am at work for 7am ,cleaning subways till 3pm home at 6/7pm. Lots of different people,and aditudes,on a daily bases.Managment maybe see once a day,but always a phone call away.Some days iyou may have a co-worker ,other days,by your self.Some days you may have several locations to clean.The enjoyable part of the job,was getting a thank you from a total stranger
Pros
learning curve, always thinking out side the box
Cons
long distance traveling to toronto
Productive, good people to work with
operator, bus and subway (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario23 September 2012
I enjoyed interacting with people. My co-workers were professional and many became close personal friends. Management set a base for high morale and was always there when you needed them.
The hardest part of the job was collecting fares from people who did not want to pay or you were given a bad transfer and you were required to deal with the situation in a professional manner.
I enjoyed driving and talking to people.
Pros
pension, benefits
Cons
working stat. holidays at times.
Great job but hours, obligatory nightshift interupted healthy lifestyle
Garage Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2012
Typical day busy, productive, but not pressured to push to exertion. Learned basic automobile regulative maintenance skills. Strategic systematic procedures to complete tasks for multiple vehicles given by management. Great co-workers. Difficult task of shampooing bus seats in sweltering heat temperatures. Great outside work in the fresh air.
Pros
great productive, respectful, natural environment. good lenthy break periods
Cons
obligatory sunset shiftwork
Great job but hours, obligatory nightshift interupted healthy lifestyle
Garage Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2012
Typical day busy, productive, but not pressured to push to exertion. Learned basic automobile regulative maintenance skills. Systematic strategic procedures to complete tasks for multiple vehicles given by management. Great co-workers. Difficult task of shampooing bus seats in sweltering heat temperatures. Great outside work in the fresh air.
Pros
great productive, respectful, natural environment. good lenthy break periods
Cons
obligatory sunset shiftwork
Recruitment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2013
• Contributed to the goals and objectives of the TTC by providing support to the HR department; assisting in the recruitment and employee promotion process
• Updated the HRIS system with applicant & employee information, including entering information from applicant resumes; also tracked applicants and retrieved relevant details from the HRIS
• Participated in Panel Interviews thereby contributing to the assessment of applicants and their skills, experiences and suitability of working within the culture of the TTC
Pros
great hr dept
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 May 2013
My co-workers were one of the most enjoyable things about work. They were encouraging and fun people to work with. The hardest part of my job was handling the increased workload because of staff shortages while still trying to maintain good customer service. I learned how to multitask, doing many jobs at once. I learned how to correct situations and fix issues quickly to dissolve conflict.
Pros
Nice atmosphere
Cons
Increasing workload
Great Working Environment
Power Traction and Wiring Services Co-op Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 June 2013
• Attended substation awareness training
• Prepared reports, flow charts, capital project and crew schedule
• Labeled Arc Flash rating on single line diagrams designs
• Prepared 600 VDC bus maintenance data sheet reports
• Finalized each substation Arc Flash analysis reports
• Prepared electrical room key holder training report
• Substation site visits
• Gave tour of substations to subway expansion contractors
• Supervised and organized substation written and practical exam
Pros
Everyday was a learning day
Provides great opportunity to grow
STATION COLLECTOR (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2013
TTC has taught me some great lessons, both professionally and personally. The training is extensive, giving me the confidence to function and perform well. I've learned to not respond emotionally in emotional situations, to take a step back and assess the entire situation to bring balance and fairness. I'm front-line staff, and, therefore, am under public scrutiny. I must always be at my best.
Pros
Great compensation/benefits. Strong fellowship with co-workers and management.
Cons
Difficult hours can be alienating to family and friends (I typically work weekends).

Toronto Transit Commission Reviews by Location