Toronto Transit Commission Employee Reviews in Canada

Poor work environment with an incompetent management
Driver Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 1, 2015
Long hours,poor working conditions,a management system that defies understanding.Workforce that is indifferent and only self motivated.Kiss your family goodbye for the first 10 years on this job. Only enjoyable part of this job was payday.
Pros
income
Cons
ridiculous work schedules
Great company to work for
Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  TorontoApril 14, 2015
Even though my contract was for 6 months - it was extended for an additional 6 months. The work environment was wonderful,. Everyone was a team player. Department shared information, great communication.
Pros
Great company, great benefits for employees
Cons
Some waste of funds
Great job with pay and benefits.
Bus operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2015
Great career job to take care of your family and have A great life, and most co- workers are great, but some will stab you in the back to try and move ahead in the company.
Pros
great pay and benefits.
Cons
management does not care about its employees, your just a number and a dime a dozen.
Excellent organization to have worked for. Retired
Director-Materials Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2015
There are several areas of advancement, several skills are required and I was able to progress through management for many years. Flexible work hours, safety is a priority, made many friends during my time there. Held to a high standard of quality and customer service.
Good place to work with job security, benofits, life-work balance etc
Supervisor Estimating (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2014
35 hours per week is fairly descent work hours in order to balance the life and work and is a good place for people for with experience and in their forties and above as they would have gone through their learning period at other work places.

As this being a very large organization with several years of existence, everything is organized and things move very smoothly and the management system is excellent.

Co-workers are very cooperative.

There are lot of things to learn at TTC, when it comes to working in an operating facility with limited hours (two to three hours) of work during non-revenue hours. It is very challenging.
contract assignment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2013
Typical day at work, I am a perfectionist and I learned that is not everything I can be perfect in, like sending certificate and it does not line up all the time. hardest part of my job is when I cannot get a hold of a manager and the customer do not want to leave a message and you cannot page, what I usually do to ask if I can put them on hold and physically deliver the message. The best part of my day is when I have to teach co-workers how to use Excel.
Pros
contract
Cons
contract
Great Working Environment
Power Traction and Wiring Services Co-op Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 26, 2013
• Attended substation awareness training
• Prepared reports, flow charts, capital project and crew schedule
• Labeled Arc Flash rating on single line diagrams designs
• Prepared 600 VDC bus maintenance data sheet reports
• Finalized each substation Arc Flash analysis reports
• Prepared electrical room key holder training report
• Substation site visits
• Gave tour of substations to subway expansion contractors
• Supervised and organized substation written and practical exam
Pros
everyday was a learning day
Provides great opportunity to grow
STATION COLLECTOR (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 29, 2013
TTC has taught me some great lessons, both professionally and personally. The training is extensive, giving me the confidence to function and perform well. I've learned to not respond emotionally in emotional situations, to take a step back and assess the entire situation to bring balance and fairness. I'm front-line staff, and, therefore, am under public scrutiny. I must always be at my best.
Pros
great compensation/benefits. strong fellowship with co-workers and management.
Cons
difficult hours can be alienating to family and friends (i typically work weekends).
Subway janitor/using floor zamboni to clean subway platforms
Janitorial Service Worker (Former Employee) –  young street toronto canadaJuly 10, 2012
Up at 4 am at work for 7am ,cleaning subways till 3pm home at 6/7pm. Lots of different people,and aditudes,on a daily bases.Managment maybe see once a day,but always a phone call away.Some days iyou may have a co-worker ,other days,by your self.Some days you may have several locations to clean.The enjoyable part of the job,was getting a thank you from a total stranger
Pros
learning curve, always thinking out side the box
Cons
long distance traveling to toronto
Productive, good people to work with
operator, bus and subway (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioSeptember 23, 2012
I enjoyed interacting with people. My co-workers were professional and many became close personal friends. Management set a base for high morale and was always there when you needed them.
The hardest part of the job was collecting fares from people who did not want to pay or you were given a bad transfer and you were required to deal with the situation in a professional manner.
I enjoyed driving and talking to people.
Pros
pension, benefits
Cons
working stat. holidays at times.
Great job but hours, obligatory nightshift interupted healthy lifestyle
Garage Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 11, 2012
Typical day busy, productive, but not pressured to push to exertion. Learned basic automobile regulative maintenance skills. Strategic systematic procedures to complete tasks for multiple vehicles given by management. Great co-workers. Difficult task of shampooing bus seats in sweltering heat temperatures. Great outside work in the fresh air.
Pros
great productive, respectful, natural environment. good lenthy break periods
Cons
obligatory sunset shiftwork
Great job but hours, obligatory nightshift interupted healthy lifestyle
Garage Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 11, 2012
Typical day busy, productive, but not pressured to push to exertion. Learned basic automobile regulative maintenance skills. Systematic strategic procedures to complete tasks for multiple vehicles given by management. Great co-workers. Difficult task of shampooing bus seats in sweltering heat temperatures. Great outside work in the fresh air.
Pros
great productive, respectful, natural environment. good lenthy break periods
Cons
obligatory sunset shiftwork
Recruitment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 24, 2013
• Contributed to the goals and objectives of the TTC by providing support to the HR department; assisting in the recruitment and employee promotion process
• Updated the HRIS system with applicant & employee information, including entering information from applicant resumes; also tracked applicants and retrieved relevant details from the HRIS
• Participated in Panel Interviews thereby contributing to the assessment of applicants and their skills, experiences and suitability of working within the culture of the TTC
Pros
great hr dept
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 29, 2013
My co-workers were one of the most enjoyable things about work. They were encouraging and fun people to work with. The hardest part of my job was handling the increased workload because of staff shortages while still trying to maintain good customer service. I learned how to multitask, doing many jobs at once. I learned how to correct situations and fix issues quickly to dissolve conflict.
Pros
nice atmosphere
Cons
increasing workload
some sacrifices in your start,great rewards in the end.
STOREROOM ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 27, 2012
Loved the many jobs i had ith TTC,driver,dispatch,shunter,storeroom attendent,so much more.i learned safety is #1, .parts management co workers were very friendly our crews understood preparing vehicles for service so we all worked as a team and got the job done which made our staff quite content.
Pros
great company, benefits.and variety of jobs to bid for.
Cons
night shift starts, mid week off days.
Able to intreact with co-workers and customers
Serviceperson (Former Employee) –  Toronto OntarioJanuary 11, 2014
I love working with others and learning from everyones experience to make myself a better person and productive worker overall. I've learned patience when dealing with hard difficult situations which makes me level heaeded to make rational and logical decisions in the workplace based on a combination of company procedures and experiences.
Pros
patient
Cons
i talk a lot.
Fun place to work with new challenges each day
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 12, 2013
Each day is challenging day on the road. I always respect other people and try to cheer up during the bus ride. My co-workers are excellent and we release our stress by sharing valuable work experience. I love helping people especially seniors and people with disability. If i can bring smile on there face it makes my day.
Pros
meeting interesting people.
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2014
I very much enjoyed working at TTC, co-workers and managers were easy to get along with, In a typical day at work I would clean up the shop, help co-workers with various tasks. I was left alone for the most part knowing I had a set of duties to accomplish everyday and I would do just that. Hardest part was the commute to work with constant traffic. I learned many valuable skills.
Fun Workplace
Auditing Clerk and Divisional Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 13, 2015
The Toronto Transit Commission is a fun and rewarding company. The people that work there are great. . The hardest part of the job was
Great working ethics and great working environment
Risk Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 24, 2015
Possibility to share your knowledge and really make your skills work for the people of Toronto in a tangible and progressive way
Pros
diverse culture
Cons
small department

4.2