Toronto Transit Commission

Toronto Transit Commission Employee Reviews

Good Workpalce
C#/.Net Intranet SharePoint Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2015
Good workplace for starters to gain lots of experience and learn from scratch. The boss is very nice and the work environment is very friendly. You always have your hands busy which is a good thing.
Process oriented not Goal oriented
Senior BA, (Current Employee) –  toronto, on13 October 2015
- there are many exciting projects in the company
- Process oriented not Goal oriented
- takes time to see the result of your work
- Decent amount of red tapes and politics which is expected of a big company
We had a good soccer team
Bus and Subway Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2015
Was a great place to work good benefits and decent wages.
But with that came quite a bit of pressure and driving buses down town Toronto can be very demanding I also drove subways trains and trolley coaches.
Pros
Split shifts
Cons
The seniority system.
Highly work pressure with lots of new thing to learn.
Construction site superintendent (Current Employee) –  Walsh, Canada18 September 2015
No matter it's winter or summer work environment was so busy and tremendous busy with lots of communication. Must have good management skill with ability to work under pressure.
Great starting experience
Occupational Hygienist Co-Op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 October 2015
I did my program's summer co-op there and it was a great way to start with my career in Occupational Hygiene. I will be using skills I have learned during my time there in my future career.
TTC
Software QA Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 March 2015
Requested to travel on public transportation with significant amount of TTC money in cash, some time during night time.

Requested to work irregular work hours a day or two before they are scheduled. Example: It’s very hard and often not possible to arrange child care for 6:00 AM (at least 1 hour before requested start time at 7:00AM) for such short period of time.

None of these conditions above were mentioned in my contract.
guest service
guest service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 February 2015
Working with TTC can be fun and also hard, People can make your day but some can put your day down by just giving you one rude look or one rude comment. I learned to be very outgoing and how to handle hard times. My co- workers are the sweetest, they help when its needed. The hardest part of the job is standing outside for that one hour or more. The most enjoyable part of working with ttc is knowing i just helped someone and also put a smile on their face
Good place to work with job security, benofits, life-work balance etc
Supervisor Estimating (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2014
35 hours per week is fairly descent work hours in order to balance the life and work and is a good place for people for with experience and in their forties and above as they would have gone through their learning period at other work places.

As this being a very large organization with several years of existence, everything is organized and things move very smoothly and the management system is excellent.

Co-workers are very cooperative.

There are lot of things to learn at TTC, when it comes to working in an operating facility with limited hours (two to three hours) of work during non-revenue hours. It is very challenging.
Subway janitor/using floor zamboni to clean subway platforms
Janitorial Service Worker (Former Employee) –  young street toronto canada10 July 2012
Up at 4 am at work for 7am ,cleaning subways till 3pm home at 6/7pm. Lots of different people,and aditudes,on a daily bases.Managment maybe see once a day,but always a phone call away.Some days iyou may have a co-worker ,other days,by your self.Some days you may have several locations to clean.The enjoyable part of the job,was getting a thank you from a total stranger
Pros
learning curve, always thinking out side the box
Cons
long distance traveling to toronto
Productive, good people to work with
operator, bus and subway (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario23 September 2012
I enjoyed interacting with people. My co-workers were professional and many became close personal friends. Management set a base for high morale and was always there when you needed them.
The hardest part of the job was collecting fares from people who did not want to pay or you were given a bad transfer and you were required to deal with the situation in a professional manner.
I enjoyed driving and talking to people.
Pros
pension, benefits
Cons
working stat. holidays at times.
Great job but hours, obligatory nightshift interupted healthy lifestyle
Garage Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2012
Typical day busy, productive, but not pressured to push to exertion. Learned basic automobile regulative maintenance skills. Strategic systematic procedures to complete tasks for multiple vehicles given by management. Great co-workers. Difficult task of shampooing bus seats in sweltering heat temperatures. Great outside work in the fresh air.
Pros
great productive, respectful, natural environment. good lenthy break periods
Cons
obligatory sunset shiftwork
Great job but hours, obligatory nightshift interupted healthy lifestyle
Garage Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2012
Typical day busy, productive, but not pressured to push to exertion. Learned basic automobile regulative maintenance skills. Systematic strategic procedures to complete tasks for multiple vehicles given by management. Great co-workers. Difficult task of shampooing bus seats in sweltering heat temperatures. Great outside work in the fresh air.
Pros
great productive, respectful, natural environment. good lenthy break periods
Cons
obligatory sunset shiftwork
Recruitment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2013
• Contributed to the goals and objectives of the TTC by providing support to the HR department; assisting in the recruitment and employee promotion process
• Updated the HRIS system with applicant & employee information, including entering information from applicant resumes; also tracked applicants and retrieved relevant details from the HRIS
• Participated in Panel Interviews thereby contributing to the assessment of applicants and their skills, experiences and suitability of working within the culture of the TTC
Pros
great hr dept
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 May 2013
My co-workers were one of the most enjoyable things about work. They were encouraging and fun people to work with. The hardest part of my job was handling the increased workload because of staff shortages while still trying to maintain good customer service. I learned how to multitask, doing many jobs at once. I learned how to correct situations and fix issues quickly to dissolve conflict.
Pros
Nice atmosphere
Cons
Increasing workload
Great Working Environment
Power Traction and Wiring Services Co-op Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 June 2013
• Attended substation awareness training
• Prepared reports, flow charts, capital project and crew schedule
• Labeled Arc Flash rating on single line diagrams designs
• Prepared 600 VDC bus maintenance data sheet reports
• Finalized each substation Arc Flash analysis reports
• Prepared electrical room key holder training report
• Substation site visits
• Gave tour of substations to subway expansion contractors
• Supervised and organized substation written and practical exam
Pros
Everyday was a learning day
Provides great opportunity to grow
STATION COLLECTOR (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2013
TTC has taught me some great lessons, both professionally and personally. The training is extensive, giving me the confidence to function and perform well. I've learned to not respond emotionally in emotional situations, to take a step back and assess the entire situation to bring balance and fairness. I'm front-line staff, and, therefore, am under public scrutiny. I must always be at my best.
Pros
Great compensation/benefits. Strong fellowship with co-workers and management.
Cons
Difficult hours can be alienating to family and friends (I typically work weekends).
contract assignment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2013
Typical day at work, I am a perfectionist and I learned that is not everything I can be perfect in, like sending certificate and it does not line up all the time. hardest part of my job is when I cannot get a hold of a manager and the customer do not want to leave a message and you cannot page, what I usually do to ask if I can put them on hold and physically deliver the message. The best part of my day is when I have to teach co-workers how to use Excel.
Pros
contract
Cons
contract
Productive and fun place
janitoral (Former Employee) –  toronto23 January 2013
My days working are not always graet but i suck it up and move on. I have learn to be more understanding with the public. my management team work great with employee. My co worker r not the best to work with but at the end of the day we get our work done. the hardest part of my days are atfer my lunch i dont feel like working but them i remember and not doing this for my self but for my family. the most thing i like about any job is pay day to be honest.
Pros
lot of discount to placee
Cons
hour are great
some sacrifices in your start,great rewards in the end.
STOREROOM ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 May 2012
Loved the many jobs i had ith TTC,driver,dispatch,shunter,storeroom attendent,so much more.i learned safety is #1, .parts management co workers were very friendly our crews understood preparing vehicles for service so we all worked as a team and got the job done which made our staff quite content.
Pros
great company, benefits.and variety of jobs to bid for.
Cons
night shift starts, mid week off days.
How to get in?
Trying to get hired (Former Employee) –  toronto13 August 2015
Trying to get hired by TTC for some time now. It seems that I need to know someone on the inside to work there. Since I don't plan on becoming a driver for the company getting in is near impossible. Any advice would be helpful thank you.

Toronto Transit Commission Reviews by Location