Toronto Transit Commission

Toronto Transit Commission Employee Reviews

manager and colleagues are really work oriented and work as a team to success-ed in the task
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2016
i would recommend to work 3 stars/5 stars really good service provides in customer service sector as well as j and j restaurant and banquit also provides good food service all over toronto besides that bm moters have good reputation all over the world in providing their service
Pros
helpful, flexible, team work
Cons
less opportunities.
Overall, great place to work
Overhead Linesperson Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2015
Overall it is a great place to work. Due to the nature of the business, it's a bit hard to have a way of life like everyone else. It's an enterprise that requires attention 24/7, so a lot of workers do odd shifts in order to maintain service.
Pros
Great people to work with, great benefits
Cons
Work night shifts and afternoons shifts. Work weekends.
We had a good soccer team
Bus and Subway Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2015
Was a great place to work good benefits and decent wages.
But with that came quite a bit of pressure and driving buses down town Toronto can be very demanding I also drove subways trains and trolley coaches.
Pros
Split shifts
Cons
The seniority system.
Provides great opportunity to grow
STATION COLLECTOR (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2013
TTC has taught me some great lessons, both professionally and personally. The training is extensive, giving me the confidence to function and perform well. I've learned to not respond emotionally in emotional situations, to take a step back and assess the entire situation to bring balance and fairness. I'm front-line staff, and, therefore, am under public scrutiny. I must always be at my best.
Pros
Great compensation/benefits. Strong fellowship with co-workers and management.
Cons
Difficult hours can be alienating to family and friends (I typically work weekends).
Productive, good people to work with
operator, bus and subway (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario23 September 2012
I enjoyed interacting with people. My co-workers were professional and many became close personal friends. Management set a base for high morale and was always there when you needed them.
The hardest part of the job was collecting fares from people who did not want to pay or you were given a bad transfer and you were required to deal with the situation in a professional manner.
I enjoyed driving and talking to people.
Pros
pension, benefits
Cons
working stat. holidays at times.
Very nice to work but few hours of job
Customer Service representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2016
TTC experience is very great. Its amazing how it works and managed. The customer interactions are great to learn from. Nothing to complain. Just amazing experience.
Pros
great company
Cons
Not enough hours
Great job with pay and benefits.
Bus operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2015
Great career job to take care of your family and have A great life, and most co- workers are great, but some will stab you in the back to try and move ahead in the company.
Pros
Great pay and benefits.
Cons
Management does not care about its employees, your just A number and A dime A dozen.
some sacrifices in your start,great rewards in the end.
STOREROOM ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 May 2012
Loved the many jobs i had ith TTC,driver,dispatch,shunter,storeroom attendent,so much more.i learned safety is #1, .parts management co workers were very friendly our crews understood preparing vehicles for service so we all worked as a team and got the job done which made our staff quite content.
Pros
great company, benefits.and variety of jobs to bid for.
Cons
night shift starts, mid week off days.
Welcoming and accomodating of diverse workforce
ADMINISTRATIVE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2012
Very accomodating.
Excellent communication between management and employees.
Caring for employees and willing to assist in career development.
Excellent benefits.
Encourages growth and development of employees
Pros
caring excellent work/life balance
Great company to work for
Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto14 April 2015
Even though my contract was for 6 months - it was extended for an additional 6 months. The work environment was wonderful,. Everyone was a team player. Department shared information, great communication.
Pros
Great company, great benefits for employees
Cons
Some waste of funds
A prime example of diversity in the work place.
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 March 2015
I have only fond memories of my years at the Toronto Transit Commission. "The Better Way,"is the official slogan and a.k.a. TTC, which has been around for more than a century serving Toronto and the greater Toronto area with its massive fleet of public transit vehicles and more than ten thousand dedicated employees comprising of management and union employees, whom I have had the pleasure of working with.

Come hail or snow, bracing well below freezing temperatures I used to be out there day after day at the controls of my Bombardier built T1 train serving station after station trying to get our commuters to their destination on time. A typical day for us consisted of track fires, weather related delays,disgruntled commuters, medical emergencies and equipment failures that we attended to in a timely manner while maintaining our high customer service standards and adhering to our slogan " Work safe, home safe."

The hardest part of the job was to be unable to resolve delays as a team within a timely manner and watching loyal commuters suffer.

The most rewarding part of the job was a fulfilling day that was a direct result of keeping our commuters happy, be it with uniting a lost child with his or her parents, returning a lost article to its rightful owner or comforting a frightened pet.
Pros
Benefits and Pension
Cons
Lack of communication between management and union.
Placement
Investigators and Special Agents (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 April 2016
Overall great learning experience. Developed a great knowledge on how to interview, report writing skills, fraud, and other skills. Kept up with various cases.
Fun at times
Service Person (Former Employee) –  toronto21 May 2013
A typical day is fueling and waiting for them to call me to drop off a bus some where. I learned how to drive DZ bus. the management was not good at times, I got along with my co-works. The hardest part of the job is not have anything to do I don't like not having anything to do. What I liked about the job was pay and benefits.
TTC
Expeditor; Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 June 2015
TTC staff care about this city, and they work hard to implement senior management's vision and plans.

Typical working day as Purchasing Expeditor: Tracked parts orders and expedited late and urgent orders by telephone, email or personal contact. Resolved supplier issues within own authority and escalated when necessary. See resume for more details.

Typical working day as Office Assistant: Provided administrative support to Executive Office, Community Relations and Corporate Communications departments. See resume for more details.
Pros
Transit pass; hardworking and friendly staff
Cons
Budget constraints
Excellent COOP Job
NDT COOP (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 December 2015
I performed ultrasonic, magnetic particle, liquid penetrant and visual inspections on rail, alongside with hardness testing. It was an amazing learning experience as I had the opportunity to gain required hours to write my CGSB certifications in all of these techniques.
Pros
Practical to my career
Driving was always my dream. Getting this job was great for me.
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 February 2014
It was not work going to my job. I loved it. Got trained on all aspects and equipment plus promotion as I went through my 35 years. No complaints.
Pros
Great hourly wage as operator. Good salary when on staff.
Cons
None for me.
Excellent Place to Work
Administrative Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 February 2014
I believe if you like your career choice than the salary does not matter it is important to enjoy what you do since we spend 75% of our lives working!
Benefits
Cons
Benefits not the same for Union as for Staff Employee's
Nice place to work for especially in terms of benefits and job reliability
Station Attendant (Summer Position) (Former Employee) –  Toronto31 October 2014
Nice place to work at. Good benefits and pension plan. Co-Workers are nice. Management is ok as well.
Excellent company to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Clerk Electrical Dept.) (Former Employee) –  Keele6 January 2016
Excellent company to work for.Good communication between all levels of management.Very positive environment to work and learn.
TTC The Better Way in Everyway
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2015
Toronto Transit Commission is a fantastic company to work for because it allows you to use your talents in a multitude of ways and spread your wings as far as you wish to go. Though the perks are wonderful, it's not always about the material things but about respect support, lasting friendships and about having your voice heard from a supervisor or manager who seriously listens to your ideas and implements them. The job can be stressful at times but the support you receive makes it easier to handle.

Toronto Transit Commission Reviews by Location