Toronto Transit Commission

Toronto Transit Commission Employee Reviews in Canada

Well organized workplace.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2015
Very busy but friendly and professional co-workers/management. Enjoyed creating PowerPoint presentations with custom animation.
Overall, great place to work
Overhead Linesperson Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 16, 2015
Overall it is a great place to work. Due to the nature of the business, it's a bit hard to have a way of life like everyone else. It's an enterprise that requires attention 24/7, so a lot of workers do odd shifts in order to maintain service.
Pros
Great people to work with, great benefits
Cons
Work night shifts and afternoons shifts. Work weekends.
Productive and fun workplace
Service Person (Summer Student) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 1, 2015
Amazing experience, you do the job with honour and love representing the city of Toronto. It's also fun interacting with different people on a everyday basis.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
work on weekends
Poor work environment with an incompetent management
Driver Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 1, 2015
Long hours,poor working conditions,a management system that defies understanding.Workforce that is indifferent and only self motivated.Kiss your family goodbye for the first 10 years on this job. Only enjoyable part of this job was payday.
Pros
income
Cons
ridiculous work schedules
Amazing place to work
Commission Services & CEO Office (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 11, 2015
I am here on a 2 month contract , recently I got extended another 3 months. The people here are amazing and I feel lucky to have gotten to work with such a great group of people.
Excellent place to work
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2015
Toronto Transit Commission is a great employer. There are many opportunities to advance with in the organization. There are a vast number of jobs within the TTC that can build your career.
N/A
Foreperson Line Services End Terminal Cleaning (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 6, 2015
Good support from upper management, overall union staff are hard working individuals who take pride in their job. Monthly safety meeting keeps union and management up to date with any safety related issues.
Welcoming and accomodating of diverse workforce
ADMINISTRATIVE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 27, 2012
Very accomodating.
Excellent communication between management and employees.
Caring for employees and willing to assist in career development.
Excellent benefits.
Encourages growth and development of employees
Pros
caring excellent work/life balance
Excellent organization to have worked for. Retired
Director-Materials Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2015
There are several areas of advancement, several skills are required and I was able to progress through management for many years. Flexible work hours, safety is a priority, made many friends during my time there. Held to a high standard of quality and customer service.
They take care of their employees
Crime Analyst (Former Employee) –  TorontoOctober 15, 2015
I worked at the TTC for 33 years. They took care of me and my family and I was always proud to state where I worked. The employees at the TTC are the best. We are dedicated to customer service.
Pros
Free transit employee pass
Cons
shift work
A prime example of diversity in the work place.
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 1, 2015
I have only fond memories of my years at the Toronto Transit Commission. "The Better Way,"is the official slogan and a.k.a. TTC, which has been around for more than a century serving Toronto and the greater Toronto area with its massive fleet of public transit vehicles and more than ten thousand dedicated employees comprising of management and union employees, whom I have had the pleasure of working with.

Come hail or snow, bracing well below freezing temperatures I used to be out there day after day at the controls of my Bombardier built T1 train serving station after station trying to get our commuters to their destination on time. A typical day for us consisted of track fires, weather related delays,disgruntled commuters, medical emergencies and equipment failures that we attended to in a timely manner while maintaining our high customer service standards and adhering to our slogan " Work safe, home safe."

The hardest part of the job was to be unable to resolve delays as a team within a timely manner and watching loyal commuters suffer.

The most rewarding part of the job was a fulfilling day that was a direct result of keeping our commuters happy, be it with uniting a lost child with his or her parents, returning a lost article to its rightful owner or comforting a frightened pet.
Pros
benefits and pension
Cons
lack of communication between management and union.
Good Workpalce
C#/.Net Intranet SharePoint Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 15, 2015
Good workplace for starters to gain lots of experience and learn from scratch. The boss is very nice and the work environment is very friendly. You always have your hands busy which is a good thing.
Provides great opportunity to grow
STATION COLLECTOR (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 29, 2013
TTC has taught me some great lessons, both professionally and personally. The training is extensive, giving me the confidence to function and perform well. I've learned to not respond emotionally in emotional situations, to take a step back and assess the entire situation to bring balance and fairness. I'm front-line staff, and, therefore, am under public scrutiny. I must always be at my best.
Pros
great compensation/benefits. strong fellowship with co-workers and management.
Cons
difficult hours can be alienating to family and friends (i typically work weekends).
Great Company - Great people
Chief Mobile Supervisor/Tower Controller (Current Employee) –  TorontoJune 24, 2015
I have been working at Toronto Transit Commission for almost 10 years now. I absolutely love working here. Management is great. I have moved up the ranks and i enjoy every single day here.
Recruitment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 24, 2013
• Contributed to the goals and objectives of the TTC by providing support to the HR department; assisting in the recruitment and employee promotion process
• Updated the HRIS system with applicant & employee information, including entering information from applicant resumes; also tracked applicants and retrieved relevant details from the HRIS
• Participated in Panel Interviews thereby contributing to the assessment of applicants and their skills, experiences and suitability of working within the culture of the TTC
Pros
great hr dept
In need of real management
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2015
Assisting customers and other team members is number one priority. Being told to leave call comments, work resolution details, and other important information from call logs does little to assist front line and secondary support personnel provide the best support possible to the end user. A centralized database needs to be created and maintained to assist in daily support functions.
Pros
See various work sites normally unseen by the general public.
Cons
Seeing the first-hand abuse of some managers of their employees.
Productive, good people to work with
operator, bus and subway (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioSeptember 23, 2012
I enjoyed interacting with people. My co-workers were professional and many became close personal friends. Management set a base for high morale and was always there when you needed them.
The hardest part of the job was collecting fares from people who did not want to pay or you were given a bad transfer and you were required to deal with the situation in a professional manner.
I enjoyed driving and talking to people.
Pros
pension, benefits
Cons
working stat. holidays at times.
Great company to work for
Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  TorontoApril 14, 2015
Even though my contract was for 6 months - it was extended for an additional 6 months. The work environment was wonderful,. Everyone was a team player. Department shared information, great communication.
Pros
Great company, great benefits for employees
Cons
Some waste of funds
good company
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 24, 2015
A good company to work for. A very good working environment. Employees were treated very well. Also employee safety is always a priority
some sacrifices in your start,great rewards in the end.
STOREROOM ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 27, 2012
Loved the many jobs i had ith TTC,driver,dispatch,shunter,storeroom attendent,so much more.i learned safety is #1, .parts management co workers were very friendly our crews understood preparing vehicles for service so we all worked as a team and got the job done which made our staff quite content.
Pros
great company, benefits.and variety of jobs to bid for.
Cons
night shift starts, mid week off days.

4.2