Toronto Transit Commission

Toronto Transit Commission Employee Reviews

Learnt management skills and made many friends !!
Customer service Representative (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ONAugust 7, 2016
Got Hands on experience in dealing with the customers directly and facing the crowd and being able to resolve all their doubts. Also learnt a lot of team work as this job needed our team to pay attention to our group members along with the customers. coordinating with the team made the shifts easier even in the extreme cold winters. learnt management skills while acting as a team lead.

most enjoyable part of the job was the smile and the gratitude the customers showed to my team after all their queries were solved.

The hardest part was to withstand the cold winters on the stations specially when we were positioned outside the stations during certain shifts.
good company great wages good union
Bus Operator / Divisional Trainer (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONMarch 4, 2016
good learning experience co-workers are fun to work with management is very harsh long hours split shifts 24 hrs. operation start out working spareboard the pick a shift
Productive and serious work enviornment.
Garage Service Person ∙ Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2015
The Toronto Transit Commission is an amazing place to work. Safe, friendly and comfortable work environment. Amazing zeal for customer satisfaction amongst employees. The most enjoyable part of working for the TTC is the sense of satisfaction you feel when you help people from in and out of the city with customer service. The hardest part of this job is learning to adapt to different roles and positions which won't be a problem based on the amazing training that is offered with the company.
Pros
Amazing work culture and lifetime benifits. Equal opportunity for everyone.
Cons
Sinority counts for alot based on hours and time/years acumilated, which is reasobable. Every employee has to put in thier time to before having specific work hours.
Friendly work environment and stimulating projects that kept me wanting more!
Technical Illustrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2016
I work in the training and development department which is very friendly and positive. Everyone is there to learn and to build important training programs that promote work place safety. TTC has a culture that is more like an extend family that is willing to listen carefully and answer any questions or concerns. Management makes it a priority to make sure that all the projects are kept on track and are wrapped up in a timely manner and done right. There are a great deal of projects to manage from instructors, program developers and subject specialists which is a challenge at times, but through communication and great deal of team support this challenge has been met. Working in the training and development department is a ongoing learning experience, to be able to illustrate and learn has been very valuable to my career; going into the field and talking with operators and engineers has made my job very rich and enjoyable.
Pros
Some flexibility in hours, diverse projects, positive environment
Cons
adobe suite not up to date
Reputable company with a great working environment.
Mechanical Engineering Coop (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 28, 2016
-Worked 7 hours a day spent mostly in the office but frequently performed hands on investigation and testing of vehicles and equipment at the shops.
-Learned how to apply engineering knowledge in resolving mechanical problems of vehicles. Learned a lot about designing and manufacturing.
-Management is very organized, fair, and shows great leadership.
-Co-workers are very friendly and team oriented.
-Finding the ideal solution to issues found on the vehicles is the most challenging part of the job.
-Learning new concepts and the variety of work available is very enjoyable.
Highly stressful environment.
Locomotive Engineer/ Content writer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 29, 2015
The job was time sensitive, which is a norm in the service industry. Moving two million people daily can produce a degree of stress. I worked in various departments including marketing. A typical day was to come up with positive content that would resonate with the ridership, which coincidentally also happened to be our readership.

Being partly union the company had been struggling for the last three decades with it's image as a commuter friendly service provider amidst the strikes and service disruptions, which had become quite the norm.

The environment was challenging due to being highly regulated. The company lacked competent management.
Pros
Job guarantee, pension and great health benefits.
Cons
Thankless job environment lacking motivation.
Acceptable work environment.
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 16, 2016
Work days usually begins about 5AM. Take a bus out of the garage to start servicing passangers. I have learned to be patient and understanding. Most of my co-workers are good, helpful and funloving. The hardest part of the job is not getting out of the seat often enough per shift. I enjoy helping passengers when ever possible.
Pros
wages and benefit
Why I like the TTC
Transit Operator - Badge 71431 (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 11, 2016
I enjoy that when working at TTC, there is a fast pace environment and I am able to work with the public every single day. There is minimal/no supervision which has enabled me to learn how to make in the moment decisions throughout my day.
Pros
Minimal Supervision
Cons
Long Hours
manager and colleagues are really work oriented and work as a team to success-ed in the task
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 30, 2016
i would recommend to work 3 stars/5 stars really good service provides in customer service sector as well as j and j restaurant and banquit also provides good food service all over toronto besides that bm moters have good reputation all over the world in providing their service
Pros
helpful, flexible, team work
Cons
less opportunities.
Fantastic, open-minded and lovely team members at the TTC
(Co-op) Student Route Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 15, 2016
I have had very fantastic team members, being my managers and my co-workers whom had the same tasks that I had, at the TTC, who made and granted all the more healthy work relations and prompted for successful and satisfying work, team culture, as well as the environment surrounding us.
Pros
Very well-fashioned and put together team relations, healthy team and work relations and environmental and employee care
Too Glorified
Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
Being a driver for ttc is not as everyone says split shifts, weekends, holidays, nights, days. You basically have to give up your life for $61,000 a year which after benefits,tax,pension,union ends up working out to be $45,000 yearly. If you have skills experience and a family don't waste your time. I feel bad for ttc drivers being fooled with job security.
Pros
Nice uniforms
Cons
Everthing else
Database and Application Developer-Coop student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 13, 2016
I worked there as a student (internship) for about 4 month. People there are very friendly and helpful. Learned too many practical things in my field of study.
Fun environment to work in during the Pan Am Games
Pan Am Games Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 5, 2016
Giving tourists and game attendants information about Pan Am games and events, advising them on the fastest route to their destinations.
Worst place I ever worked
Operating Garageman (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 15, 2016
I worked there 6 weeks that was enough many issues ignored by management. Harassment by supervisors, safety concerns not addressed.
Pros
free transit usage
Cons
many
well done
Subway Janitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 27, 2016
It was a great experience in working at TTC, the management and staffs are working hard to provide better services to Toronto everyday.
Work fun and friendly
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 18, 2016
I guest one of the biggest Company in Toronto I will happy to work with you .. mostly the employee is very patient and respectful.
Pros
Free ride
Excellent COOP Job
NDT COOP (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 30, 2015
I performed ultrasonic, magnetic particle, liquid penetrant and visual inspections on rail, alongside with hardness testing. It was an amazing learning experience as I had the opportunity to gain required hours to write my CGSB certifications in all of these techniques.
Pros
Practical to my career
TTC
Expeditor; Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 5, 2015
TTC staff care about this city, and they work hard to implement senior management's vision and plans.

Typical working day as Purchasing Expeditor: Tracked parts orders and expedited late and urgent orders by telephone, email or personal contact. Resolved supplier issues within own authority and escalated when necessary. See resume for more details.

Typical working day as Office Assistant: Provided administrative support to Executive Office, Community Relations and Corporate Communications departments. See resume for more details.
Pros
Transit pass; hardworking and friendly staff
Cons
Budget constraints
Very nice to work but few hours of job
Customer Service representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 12, 2016
TTC experience is very great. Its amazing how it works and managed. The customer interactions are great to learn from. Nothing to complain. Just amazing experience.
Pros
great company
Cons
Not enough hours
Excellent company to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Clerk Electrical Dept.) (Former Employee) –  KeeleJanuary 6, 2016
Excellent company to work for.Good communication between all levels of management.Very positive environment to work and learn.

4.2