Toronto Transit Commission Employee Reviews

Bad management in Procurement section leads to toxic environment
Procurement/Contract Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, ON5 January 2017
Work is in abundance, which is good, but work distribution is grossly unfair, even for the same position.
Salary and benefits are competitive.
Pros
Great salary & benefits
Cons
Terrible management
great pay
Service Agent/ Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
The TTC offers a wide range of challenging career opportunities. We are committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. The TTC accepts online applications for advertised employment opportunities only. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process.
Pros
free bus pass
Cons
long days
Big Big Company, Great benefits
ITS\ (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 January 2017
Everything about the company is great, except the fact that it is a big company.
And as same as all big companies, it has a lot of hierarchy issues, including redundancy of work, or changes of work plans/projects, etc.

Although there are too many opinions to finish a task at times, it is great to see everyone's voice being heard, and something being done about it.
Pros
Great salary, work life balance
Cons
Hierarchy
Friendly work environment and stimulating projects that kept me wanting more!
Technical Illustrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2016
I work in the training and development department which is very friendly and positive. Everyone is there to learn and to build important training programs that promote work place safety. TTC has a culture that is more like an extend family that is willing to listen carefully and answer any questions or concerns. Management makes it a priority to make sure that all the projects are kept on track and are wrapped up in a timely manner and done right. There are a great deal of projects to manage from instructors, program developers and subject specialists which is a challenge at times, but through communication and great deal of team support this challenge has been met. Working in the training and development department is a ongoing learning experience, to be able to illustrate and learn has been very valuable to my career; going into the field and talking with operators and engineers has made my job very rich and enjoyable.
Pros
Some flexibility in hours, diverse projects, positive environment
Cons
adobe suite not up to date
Operator
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
Excellent career choice. must be thick skinned. the first couple years your patience will be tested with the off days, hours of work and your customers might not be too forgiving at times.
Pros
pay. benefits and pension
Cons
shift work and week day off days
Excellent work culture and chances of growth
Subway Vehicle Technician Trainee (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2017
One of the best Canadian Employers. Excellent benefits and growth opportunities. Paid education. Unionized environment and high level of job security.
Learnt management skills and made many friends !!
Customer service Representative (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON7 August 2016
Got Hands on experience in dealing with the customers directly and facing the crowd and being able to resolve all their doubts. Also learnt a lot of team work as this job needed our team to pay attention to our group members along with the customers. coordinating with the team made the shifts easier even in the extreme cold winters. learnt management skills while acting as a team lead.

most enjoyable part of the job was the smile and the gratitude the customers showed to my team after all their queries were solved.

The hardest part was to withstand the cold winters on the stations specially when we were positioned outside the stations during certain shifts.
Co-op Program (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 March 2017
the workplace culture is very welcoming. there is always people to talk with and the company makes you feel safe. everyday was enjoyable because you almost never do the same thing twice.
Very productive, team players, great people to work for
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Track and structure22 January 2017
Very well managed company, always safety first, everyone is a team player, we all worked well together, great supervisors, everyone looks out for everyone
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Lots of overtime
My Job
Station Collector (Current Employee) –  Subway20 February 2017
I learned a lot at this job. How to have patience, how to deal appropriately to people who are confrontational. I was taught quite a bit about the human rights code and how it applies to customers, staff and management alike.
Excellent riview summary
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2016
Fast pace working,getting the job done,listen and obey to all management rules,working together as a team with your co-worker,making your best effort at what I do best cleaner,enjoyable part of the job is to finish the job at your very best
Easy going. get your job done.
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2017
You had daily tasks that would be assigned to you and you just complete your tasks. Good helpful management. The co workers were awesome most of them.
Too Glorified
Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2016
Being a driver for ttc is not as everyone says split shifts, weekends, holidays, nights, days. You basically have to give up your life for $61,000 a year which after benefits,tax,pension,union ends up working out to be $45,000 yearly. If you have skills experience and a family don't waste your time. I feel bad for ttc drivers being fooled with job security.
Pros
Nice uniforms
Cons
Everthing else
Why I like the TTC
Transit Operator - Badge 71431 (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 September 2016
I enjoy that when working at TTC, there is a fast pace environment and I am able to work with the public every single day. There is minimal/no supervision which has enabled me to learn how to make in the moment decisions throughout my day.
Pros
Minimal Supervision
Cons
Long Hours
Worst place I ever worked
Operating Garageman (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2016
I worked there 6 weeks that was enough many issues ignored by management. Harassment by supervisors, safety concerns not addressed.
Pros
free transit usage
Cons
many
Acceptable work environment.
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2016
Work days usually begins about 5AM. Take a bus out of the garage to start servicing passangers. I have learned to be patient and understanding. Most of my co-workers are good, helpful and funloving. The hardest part of the job is not getting out of the seat often enough per shift. I enjoy helping passengers when ever possible.
Pros
wages and benefit
Cons
A big garage with over 600 drivers and support staff. There is pool table, table tennis, and fuss ball table
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2015
It is a great place to work. I giggle to my self when I think about driving a forty foot bus through Toronto. There are motorist who don't like to share the road. I've learned that not all people behave the same. There are people that are difficult to deal with. Those are the ones I enjoy the most to deal with. I thrive for a challenge to make them smile. Management is very supportive of me. I don't feel afraid or intimidated when speaking with them. My co-workers are great. There are a few odd bad apples. I don't expect perfection from them. The hardest part of the job is the time away from my wife and daughter. The times when I'm supposed t finish, but I'm late. When I can maintain a schedule and get from one place to another safely.
Pros
Great benefits, great pay, room for internal advancements, being able to pick your own work, days off
Cons
long hours, being away from family, working almost all the holidays
Nice Management
Administrative Assistant(Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 February 2017
It was a great experience . I have learned about office administration . All the workers are friendly and helpful. There is no hardest part of the job. I enjoyed well while I was working in TTC.
Pros
Happy work environment
Cons
Noisy
typical work environment
workcar operator (Former Employee) –  wilson garage19 January 2017
its open 24 hours a day so there are many shifts, recently more nights and splits shifts are been offered. i went to work and got my work done on time daily and got home safe after words
Overall an excellent place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2017
An amazing place to grow as an individual with so munch opportunity to advance. The unfortunate side is that many employees take this opportunity for granted.
Pros
Transit Pass

4.2