Toronto Transit Commission

Toronto Transit Commission Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
We had a good soccer team
Bus and Subway Driver (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 31, 2015
Pros: Split shifts
Cons: The seniority system.
Was a great place to work good benefits and decent wages.
But with that came quite a bit of pressure and driving buses down town Toronto can be very demanding I also drove subways trains and trolley coaches.
Highly stressful environment.
Locomotive Engineer/ Content writer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Job guarantee, pension and great health benefits.
Cons: Thankless job environment lacking motivation.
The job was time sensitive, which is a norm in the service industry. Moving two million people daily can produce a degree of stress. I worked in various departments including marketing. A typical day was to come up with positive content that would resonate with the ridership, which coincidentally also happened to be our readership.

Being partly union the company had been struggling for the last three decades with it's image as a commuter friendly service provider amidst the strikes and service disruptions, which had become quite the norm.

The environment was challenging due to being highly regulated. The company lacked competent management.
productive and fun work place
Customer Service Ambassador (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Experience
Cons: Standing
mostly busy work place
how to better serve customers and understanding the meaning of providing customers with help
management was excellent
standing for long hours
enjoyed helping commuters get to their destinations
Excellent place to work
Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2015
Toronto Transit Commission is a great employer. There are many opportunities to advance with in the organization. There are a vast number of jobs within the TTC that can build your career.
good
Customer Services Ambassador (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 16, 2015
Pros: committed to employees
Cons: late hour
Toronto Transit Commission is the biggest transportation provider in Canada.As the biggest platform it has succesfully been doing it duty towards both employees and customers.
How to get in?
Trying to get hired (Former Employee), torontoAugust 13, 2015
Trying to get hired by TTC for some time now. It seems that I need to know someone on the inside to work there. Since I don't plan on becoming a driver for the company getting in is near impossible. Any advice would be helpful thank you.
N/A
Foreperson Line Services End Terminal Cleaning (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 6, 2015
Good support from upper management, overall union staff are hard working individuals who take pride in their job. Monthly safety meeting keeps union and management up to date with any safety related issues.
Overall, great place to work
Overhead Linesperson Apprentice (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Great people to work with, great benefits
Cons: Work night shifts and afternoons shifts. Work weekends.
Overall it is a great place to work. Due to the nature of the business, it's a bit hard to have a way of life like everyone else. It's an enterprise that requires attention 24/7, so a lot of workers do odd shifts in order to maintain service.
Productive, and something new to learn everyday
Prosecutor Co-op Student (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 15, 2015
Meeting with the TTC Prosecutor and helping organize,and prepare case briefs, early resolution meetings, photocopying, filing, going to trials and going before a Justice of the Peace.
In need of real management
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2015
Pros: See various work sites normally unseen by the general public.
Cons: Seeing the first-hand abuse of some managers of their employees.
Assisting customers and other team members is number one priority. Being told to leave call comments, work resolution details, and other important information from call logs does little to assist front line and secondary support personnel provide the best support possible to the end user. A centralized database needs to be created and maintained to assist in daily support functions.
Great Company - Great people
Chief Mobile Supervisor/Tower Controller (Current Employee), TorontoJune 24, 2015
I have been working at Toronto Transit Commission for almost 10 years now. I absolutely love working here. Management is great. I have moved up the ranks and i enjoy every single day here.
TTC
Expeditor; Office Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 5, 2015
Pros: Transit pass; hardworking and friendly staff
Cons: Budget constraints
TTC staff care about this city, and they work hard to implement senior management's vision and plans.

Typical working day as Purchasing Expeditor: Tracked parts orders and expedited late and urgent orders by telephone, email or personal contact. Resolved supplier issues within own authority and escalated when necessary. See resume for more details.

Typical working day as Office Assistant: Provided administrative support to Executive Office, Community Relations and Corporate Communications departments. See resume for more details.
Fun Workplace
Auditing Clerk and Divisional Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 13, 2015
The Toronto Transit Commission is a fun and rewarding company. The people that work there are great. . The hardest part of the job was
completely fulfilling job, financially, and socially
Wheel Trans Driver, and Collector (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 6, 2015
Pros: Well Paid for what we did, Enjoyed the public interadction
Cons: Some Booths were either too cold, or too Hot. Nothing else
A typical day at work included meeting with fellow employees, who were generally very pleasant, although some felt the job was difficult. I did not find this , since my enjoyment of the public was about to begin. I did not find it hard to deal with any member of the public, and there were so many people that came by the Collector Booth,that had problems, and difficulties. Directions, cost of fares – more... , routes, directions to places in the city, and general information regarding the use of the Transit System.i enjoyed all the questions and was able to give answers to most questions., as I feel it is my nature to be able to help others. I made friends with many of the passengers, and am still in contact with many of them. The hardest part of the job, was when a difficult passenger , would have unreasonable requests. My co workers, were, as i was, all in the same situation, and so my sympathies with their problems were easily understood. Management at the TTC was very supportive, should a problem arise, and were always available for consultation should a difficulty occur. I respected the management, as they knew the limits of what the commission could do to help difficult situations.
I learned, that the general public needed assistance, in understanding the operations of a Transit Situation, and needed direction as to destinations, and services available to them, as Transit riders Also I learned,that any person using a public service, is the same as you and I, they need assistance, and should be given any help that you can give them, based on your experience, knowledge, and empathy. – less
Great Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 17, 2015
I am satisfied with this job, but its just for short time.
It is basically a kind of on call job a proper shift is not preassigned .
Great company to work for
Contract Administrator (Former Employee), TorontoApril 14, 2015
Pros: Great company, great benefits for employees
Cons: Some waste of funds
Even though my contract was for 6 months - it was extended for an additional 6 months. The work environment was wonderful,. Everyone was a team player. Department shared information, great communication.
Poor work environment with an incompetent management
Driver Operator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 1, 2015
Pros: income
Cons: ridiculous work schedules
Long hours,poor working conditions,a management system that defies understanding.Workforce that is indifferent and only self motivated.Kiss your family goodbye for the first 10 years on this job. Only enjoyable part of this job was payday.
Great job with pay and benefits.
Bus operator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2015
Pros: great pay and benefits.
Cons: management does not care about its employees, your just a number and a dime a dozen.
Great career job to take care of your family and have A great life, and most co- workers are great, but some will stab you in the back to try and move ahead in the company.
TTC
Software QA Consultant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 12, 2015
Requested to travel on public transportation with significant amount of TTC money in cash, some time during night time.

Requested to work irregular work hours a day or two before they are scheduled. Example: It’s very hard and often not possible to arrange child care for 6:00 AM (at least 1 hour before requested start time at 7:00AM) for such short period of time.

None of these conditions above were mentioned in my contract.
Excellent pay, Benefits, and job security
OPERATOR (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2015
Good pay but long hours. Early mornings, afternoons and nights available. Employees have the ability to pick their own shifts within a seniority based system.

1 2 3 4

About Toronto Transit Commission

The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is a public transport agency that operates transit bus, streetcar, and rapid transit services – Read more

Toronto Transit Commission Photos