Toronto Transit Commission Employee Reviews

Too Glorified
Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2016
Being a driver for ttc is not as everyone says split shifts, weekends, holidays, nights, days. You basically have to give up your life for $61,000 a year which after benefits,tax,pension,union ends up working out to be $45,000 yearly. If you have skills experience and a family don't waste your time. I feel bad for ttc drivers being fooled with job security.
Pros
Nice uniforms
Cons
Everthing else
Friendly work environment and stimulating projects that kept me wanting more!
Technical Illustrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2016
I work in the training and development department which is very friendly and positive. Everyone is there to learn and to build important training programs that promote work place safety. TTC has a culture that is more like an extend family that is willing to listen carefully and answer any questions or concerns. Management makes it a priority to make sure that all the projects are kept on track and are wrapped up in a timely manner and done right. There are a great deal of projects to manage from instructors, program developers and subject specialists which is a challenge at times, but through communication and great deal of team support this challenge has been met. Working in the training and development department is a ongoing learning experience, to be able to illustrate and learn has been very valuable to my career; going into the field and talking with operators and engineers has made my job very rich and enjoyable.
Pros
Some flexibility in hours, diverse projects, positive environment
Cons
adobe suite not up to date
great pay
Service Agent/ Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
The TTC offers a wide range of challenging career opportunities. We are committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. The TTC accepts online applications for advertised employment opportunities only. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process.
Pros
free bus pass
Cons
long days
Learnt management skills and made many friends !!
Customer service Representative (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON7 August 2016
Got Hands on experience in dealing with the customers directly and facing the crowd and being able to resolve all their doubts. Also learnt a lot of team work as this job needed our team to pay attention to our group members along with the customers. coordinating with the team made the shifts easier even in the extreme cold winters. learnt management skills while acting as a team lead.

most enjoyable part of the job was the smile and the gratitude the customers showed to my team after all their queries were solved.

The hardest part was to withstand the cold winters on the stations specially when we were positioned outside the stations during certain shifts.
Productive and serious work enviornment.
Garage Service Person ∙ Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 September 2015
The Toronto Transit Commission is an amazing place to work. Safe, friendly and comfortable work environment. Amazing zeal for customer satisfaction amongst employees. The most enjoyable part of working for the TTC is the sense of satisfaction you feel when you help people from in and out of the city with customer service. The hardest part of this job is learning to adapt to different roles and positions which won't be a problem based on the amazing training that is offered with the company.
Pros
Amazing work culture and lifetime benifits. Equal opportunity for everyone.
Cons
Sinority counts for alot based on hours and time/years acumilated, which is reasobable. Every employee has to put in thier time to before having specific work hours.
Outstanding organization
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 January 2016
Good company to work with,good wages and many benefits, and a fine pension to follow with lots of benefits included, pleasant co-workers and ongoing seminars with learning opportunities. Meeting nice people was definitely a plus.
Pros
STABLE EMPLOYMENT
Cons
SOME VERY DIFFICULT CUSTOMERS
Why I like the TTC
Transit Operator - Badge 71431 (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 September 2016
I enjoy that when working at TTC, there is a fast pace environment and I am able to work with the public every single day. There is minimal/no supervision which has enabled me to learn how to make in the moment decisions throughout my day.
Pros
Minimal Supervision
Cons
Long Hours
Highly stressful environment.
Locomotive Engineer/ Content writer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2015
The job was time sensitive, which is a norm in the service industry. Moving two million people daily can produce a degree of stress. I worked in various departments including marketing. A typical day was to come up with positive content that would resonate with the ridership, which coincidentally also happened to be our readership.

Being partly union the company had been struggling for the last three decades with it's image as a commuter friendly service provider amidst the strikes and service disruptions, which had become quite the norm.

The environment was challenging due to being highly regulated. The company lacked competent management.
Pros
Job guarantee, pension and great health benefits.
Cons
Thankless job environment lacking motivation.
Acceptable work environment.
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2016
Work days usually begins about 5AM. Take a bus out of the garage to start servicing passangers. I have learned to be patient and understanding. Most of my co-workers are good, helpful and funloving. The hardest part of the job is not getting out of the seat often enough per shift. I enjoy helping passengers when ever possible.
Pros
wages and benefit
Cons
A big garage with over 600 drivers and support staff. There is pool table, table tennis, and fuss ball table
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2015
It is a great place to work. I giggle to my self when I think about driving a forty foot bus through Toronto. There are motorist who don't like to share the road. I've learned that not all people behave the same. There are people that are difficult to deal with. Those are the ones I enjoy the most to deal with. I thrive for a challenge to make them smile. Management is very supportive of me. I don't feel afraid or intimidated when speaking with them. My co-workers are great. There are a few odd bad apples. I don't expect perfection from them. The hardest part of the job is the time away from my wife and daughter. The times when I'm supposed t finish, but I'm late. When I can maintain a schedule and get from one place to another safely.
Pros
Great benefits, great pay, room for internal advancements, being able to pick your own work, days off
Cons
long hours, being away from family, working almost all the holidays
Reputable company with a great working environment.
Mechanical Engineering Coop (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 April 2016
-Worked 7 hours a day spent mostly in the office but frequently performed hands on investigation and testing of vehicles and equipment at the shops.
-Learned how to apply engineering knowledge in resolving mechanical problems of vehicles. Learned a lot about designing and manufacturing.
-Management is very organized, fair, and shows great leadership.
-Co-workers are very friendly and team oriented.
-Finding the ideal solution to issues found on the vehicles is the most challenging part of the job.
-Learning new concepts and the variety of work available is very enjoyable.
Well paying company but low morale and hard on family life
Foreperson (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2015
As a foreperson, the job requires me to manage my workforce, make sure they work in a safe manner. Distribute the work required to the technicians, preferably to suit each technicians strengths so the work gets performed efficiently. This is done to make sure service is made for the service going out.
Pros
Great pay, benefits and pension
Cons
Shift work with various off days. Poor work environment lots of mistrust
Work fun and friendly
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 July 2016
I guest one of the biggest Company in Toronto I will happy to work with you .. mostly the employee is very patient and respectful.
Pros
Free ride
Worst place I ever worked
Operating Garageman (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2016
I worked there 6 weeks that was enough many issues ignored by management. Harassment by supervisors, safety concerns not addressed.
Pros
free transit usage
Cons
many
well done
Subway Janitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2016
It was a great experience in working at TTC, the management and staffs are working hard to provide better services to Toronto everyday.
Cons
Productive and a good place to work.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 July 2016
I have gained valuable and comprehensive knowledge over the past 3 years in a management capacity supervising over 150 unionized employees and 5 Site Managers/ Forepersons.
Fantastic, open-minded and lovely team members at the TTC
(Co-op) Student Route Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 April 2016
I have had very fantastic team members, being my managers and my co-workers whom had the same tasks that I had, at the TTC, who made and granted all the more healthy work relations and prompted for successful and satisfying work, team culture, as well as the environment surrounding us.
Pros
Very well-fashioned and put together team relations, healthy team and work relations and environmental and employee care
Database and Application Developer-Coop student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 September 2016
I worked there as a student (internship) for about 4 month. People there are very friendly and helpful. Learned too many practical things in my field of study.
good company great wages good union
Bus Operator / Divisional Trainer (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON4 March 2016
good learning experience co-workers are fun to work with management is very harsh long hours split shifts 24 hrs. operation start out working spareboard the pick a shift
Fun environment to work in during the Pan Am Games
Pan Am Games Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 August 2016
Giving tourists and game attendants information about Pan Am games and events, advising them on the fastest route to their destinations.

Toronto Transit Commission Reviews by Location