Toronto Transit Commission

Toronto Transit Commission Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
completely fulfilling job, financially, and socially
Wheel Trans Driver, and Collector (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 6, 2015
Pros: Well Paid for what we did, Enjoyed the public interadction
Cons: Some Booths were either too cold, or too Hot. Nothing else
A typical day at work included meeting with fellow employees, who were generally very pleasant, although some felt the job was difficult. I did not find this , since my enjoyment of the public was about to begin. I did not find it hard to deal with any member of the public, and there were so many people that came by the Collector Booth,that had problems, and difficulties. Directions, cost of fares , routes, directions to places in the city, and general information regarding the use of the Transit System.i enjoyed all the questions and was able to give answers to most questions., as I feel it is my nature to be able to help others. I made friends with many of the passengers, and am still in contact with many of them. The hardest part of the job, was when a difficult passenger , would have unreasonable requests. My co workers, were, as i was, all in the same situation, and so my sympathies with their problems were easily understood. Management at the TTC was very supportive, should a problem arise, and were always available for consultation should a difficulty occur. I respected the management, as they knew the limits of what the commission could do to help difficult situations.
I learned, that the general public needed assistance, in understanding the operations of a Transit Situation, and needed direction as to destinations, and services available to them, as Transit riders Also I learned,that any person using a public service, is the same as you and I, they need assistance, and should be given any help that you can give them, based on your experience, knowledge, – more... and empathy. – less
A prime example of diversity in the work place.
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 1, 2015
Pros: benefits and pension
Cons: lack of communication between management and union.
I have only fond memories of my years at the Toronto Transit Commission. "The Better Way,"is the official slogan and a.k.a. TTC, which has been around for more than a century serving Toronto and the greater Toronto area with its massive fleet of public transit vehicles and more than ten thousand dedicated employees comprising of management and union employees, whom I have had the pleasure of working with.

Come hail or snow, bracing well below freezing temperatures I used to be out there day after day at the controls of my Bombardier built T1 train serving station after station trying to get our commuters to their destination on time. A typical day for us consisted of track fires, weather related delays,disgruntled commuters, medical emergencies and equipment failures that we attended to in a timely manner while maintaining our high customer service standards and adhering to our slogan " Work safe, home safe."

The hardest part of the job was to be unable to resolve delays as a team within a timely manner and watching loyal commuters suffer.

The most rewarding part of the job was a fulfilling day that was a direct result of keeping our commuters happy, be it with uniting a lost child with his or her parents, returning a lost article to its rightful owner or comforting a frightened pet.
Over all a great place to work.
Streetcar Operator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 1, 2014
I would usually get into work an hour early ,so to relax make out my paperwork for the day then i would go out to the yard and inspect my streetcar for safety and any defects before taking it out into service.Then leaving on time as per schedule and did my best to keep to schedule as safety allowed eg.rush hour traffic.I would do an eight hour to nine and a half hour shift usually with only twenty to thirty min. breaks but only if i got to the relief points on time in that case if late would just continue on and later phone in the overtime. when i got to my relief point for the day i would turn the streetcar to my relief operator and go home. We had alot of recertifications every 3 years and also public relation seminars also safety meetings and regular job up dates. Also human rights is very high on the ttcs list and was always completely covered. the hardest part of the job was coping with the everchanging rush hour traffic and all season weather conditions but it always kept me sharp and interested in my job.
Exciting Opportunities; Great Program; Good for Toronto
Manager - Contract Administration (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: a huge, major program with many dimensions and depth
Cons: political and staffing uncertainties
As a senior executive, there has been ample opportunity to add value to project processes and program issues, including program-wide purchasing and product strategies, cross-department networking, and multicontract coordination. The Transit Expansion Program has been a fantastic experience in multibillion dollar infrastructure and mass transit planning and construction. By having two roles, gained significant experience in procurement, contract administration, project management and contracts management for a major program. Staff were fantastic to work with and my collaborative management style suited them well. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting involved in solution finding and helping teams find answers through forecasting and risk management; the hardest part of the job was working with sometimes conflicting signals from key stakeholders, with major impacts regarding organizational structures.
Highly stressful environment.
Locomotive Engineer/ Content writer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Job guarantee, pension and great health benefits.
Cons: Thankless job environment lacking motivation.
The job was time sensitive, which is a norm in the service industry. Moving two million people daily can produce a degree of stress. I worked in various departments including marketing. A typical day was to come up with positive content that would resonate with the ridership, which coincidentally also happened to be our readership.

Being partly union the company had been struggling for the last three decades with it's image as a commuter friendly service provider amidst the strikes and service disruptions, which had become quite the norm.

The environment was challenging due to being highly regulated. The company lacked competent management.
Productive and serious work enviornment.
Garage Service Person ∙ Summer Student (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2015
Pros: Amazing work culture and lifetime benifits. Equal opportunity for everyone.
Cons: Sinority counts for alot based on hours and time/years acumilated, which is reasobable. Every employee has to put in thier time to before having specific work hours.
The Toronto Transit Commission is an amazing place to work. Safe, friendly and comfortable work environment. Amazing zeal for customer satisfaction amongst employees. The most enjoyable part of working for the TTC is the sense of satisfaction you feel when you help people from in and out of the city with customer service. The hardest part of this job is learning to adapt to different roles and positions which won't be a problem based on the amazing training that is offered with the company.
Good place to work with job security, benofits, life-work balance etc
Supervisor Estimating (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 16, 2014
35 hours per week is fairly descent work hours in order to balance the life and work and is a good place for people for with experience and in their forties and above as they would have gone through their learning period at other work places.

As this being a very large organization with several years of existence, everything is organized and things move very smoothly and the management system is excellent.

Co-workers are very cooperative.

There are lot of things to learn at TTC, when it comes to working in an operating facility with limited hours (two to three hours) of work during non-revenue hours. It is very challenging.
Provides great opportunity to grow
STATION COLLECTOR (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 29, 2013
Pros: great compensation/benefits. strong fellowship with co-workers and management.
Cons: difficult hours can be alienating to family and friends (i typically work weekends).
TTC has taught me some great lessons, both professionally and personally. The training is extensive, giving me the confidence to function and perform well. I've learned to not respond emotionally in emotional situations, to take a step back and assess the entire situation to bring balance and fairness. I'm front-line staff, and, therefore, am under public scrutiny. I must always be at my best.
Subway janitor/using floor zamboni to clean subway platforms
Janitorial Service Worker (Former Employee), young street toronto canadaJuly 10, 2012
Pros: learning curve, always thinking out side the box
Cons: long distance traveling to toronto
Up at 4 am at work for 7am ,cleaning subways till 3pm home at 6/7pm. Lots of different people,and aditudes,on a daily bases.Managment maybe see once a day,but always a phone call away.Some days iyou may have a co-worker ,other days,by your self.Some days you may have several locations to clean.The enjoyable part of the job,was getting a thank you from a total stranger
TTC The Better Way in Everyway
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 17, 2015
Toronto Transit Commission is a fantastic company to work for because it allows you to use your talents in a multitude of ways and spread your wings as far as you wish to go. Though the perks are wonderful, it's not always about the material things but about respect support, lasting friendships and about having your voice heard from a supervisor or manager who seriously listens to your ideas and implements them. The job can be stressful at times but the support you receive makes it easier to handle.
some sacrifices in your start,great rewards in the end.
STOREROOM ATTENDANT (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 27, 2012
Pros: great company, benefits.and variety of jobs to bid for.
Cons: night shift starts, mid week off days.
Loved the many jobs i had ith TTC,driver,dispatch,shunter,storeroom attendent,so much more.i learned safety is #1, .parts management co workers were very friendly our crews understood preparing vehicles for service so we all worked as a team and got the job done which made our staff quite content.
In need of real management
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2015
Pros: See various work sites normally unseen by the general public.
Cons: Seeing the first-hand abuse of some managers of their employees.
Assisting customers and other team members is number one priority. Being told to leave call comments, work resolution details, and other important information from call logs does little to assist front line and secondary support personnel provide the best support possible to the end user. A centralized database needs to be created and maintained to assist in daily support functions.
Productive, good people to work with
operator, bus and subway (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioSeptember 23, 2012
Pros: pension, benefits
Cons: working stat. holidays at times.
I enjoyed interacting with people. My co-workers were professional and many became close personal friends. Management set a base for high morale and was always there when you needed them.
The hardest part of the job was collecting fares from people who did not want to pay or you were given a bad transfer and you were required to deal with the situation in a professional manner.
I enjoyed driving and talking to people.
contract assignment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: contract
Cons: contract
Typical day at work, I am a perfectionist and I learned that is not everything I can be perfect in, like sending certificate and it does not line up all the time. hardest part of my job is when I cannot get a hold of a manager and the customer do not want to leave a message and you cannot page, what I usually do to ask if I can put them on hold and physically deliver the message. The best part of my day is when I have to teach co-workers how to use Excel.
TTC
Software QA Consultant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 12, 2015
Requested to travel on public transportation with significant amount of TTC money in cash, some time during night time.

Requested to work irregular work hours a day or two before they are scheduled. Example: It’s very hard and often not possible to arrange child care for 6:00 AM (at least 1 hour before requested start time at 7:00AM) for such short period of time.

None of these conditions above were mentioned in my contract.
Great Working Environment
Power Traction and Wiring Services Co-op Student (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 26, 2013
Pros: everyday was a learning day
• Attended substation awareness training
• Prepared reports, flow charts, capital project and crew schedule
• Labeled Arc Flash rating on single line diagrams designs
• Prepared 600 VDC bus maintenance data sheet reports
• Finalized each substation Arc Flash analysis reports
• Prepared electrical room key holder training report
• Substation site visits
• Gave tour of substations to subway expansion contractors
• Supervised and organized substation written and practical exam
TTC
Expeditor; Office Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 5, 2015
Pros: Transit pass; hardworking and friendly staff
Cons: Budget constraints
TTC staff care about this city, and they work hard to implement senior management's vision and plans.

Typical working day as Purchasing Expeditor: Tracked parts orders and expedited late and urgent orders by telephone, email or personal contact. Resolved supplier issues within own authority and escalated when necessary. See resume for more details.

Typical working day as Office Assistant: Provided administrative support to Executive Office, Community Relations and Corporate Communications departments. See resume for more details.
Great job but hours, obligatory nightshift interupted healthy lifestyle
Garage Operator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 11, 2012
Pros: great productive, respectful, natural environment. good lenthy break periods
Cons: obligatory sunset shiftwork
Typical day busy, productive, but not pressured to push to exertion. Learned basic automobile regulative maintenance skills. Strategic systematic procedures to complete tasks for multiple vehicles given by management. Great co-workers. Difficult task of shampooing bus seats in sweltering heat temperatures. Great outside work in the fresh air.
Great job but hours, obligatory nightshift interupted healthy lifestyle
Garage Operator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 11, 2012
Cons: obligatory sunset shiftwork
Typical day busy, productive, but not pressured to push to exertion. Learned basic automobile regulative maintenance skills. Systematic strategic procedures to complete tasks for multiple vehicles given by management. Great co-workers. Difficult task of shampooing bus seats in sweltering heat temperatures. Great outside work in the fresh air.
Well paying company but low morale and hard on family life
Foreperson (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 2, 2015
Pros: Great pay, benefits and pension
Cons: Shift work with various off days. Poor work environment lots of mistrust
As a foreperson, the job requires me to manage my workforce, make sure they work in a safe manner. Distribute the work required to the technicians, preferably to suit each technicians strengths so the work gets performed efficiently. This is done to make sure service is made for the service going out.