Toronto Transit Commission

Toronto Transit Commission Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and serious work enviornment.
Garage Service Person ∙ Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2015
The Toronto Transit Commission is an amazing place to work. Safe, friendly and comfortable work environment. Amazing zeal for customer satisfaction amongst employees. The most enjoyable part of working for the TTC is the sense of satisfaction you feel when you help people from in and out of the city with customer service. The hardest part of this job is learning to adapt to different roles and positions which won't be a problem based on the amazing training that is offered with the company.
Pros
Amazing work culture and lifetime benifits. Equal opportunity for everyone.
Cons
Sinority counts for alot based on hours and time/years acumilated, which is reasobable. Every employee has to put in thier time to before having specific work hours.
Highly stressful environment.
Locomotive Engineer/ Content writer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 29, 2015
The job was time sensitive, which is a norm in the service industry. Moving two million people daily can produce a degree of stress. I worked in various departments including marketing. A typical day was to come up with positive content that would resonate with the ridership, which coincidentally also happened to be our readership.

Being partly union the company had been struggling for the last three decades with it's image as a commuter friendly service provider amidst the strikes and service disruptions, which had become quite the norm.

The environment was challenging due to being highly regulated. The company lacked competent management.
Pros
Job guarantee, pension and great health benefits.
Cons
Thankless job environment lacking motivation.
Well paying company but low morale and hard on family life
Foreperson (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 2, 2015
As a foreperson, the job requires me to manage my workforce, make sure they work in a safe manner. Distribute the work required to the technicians, preferably to suit each technicians strengths so the work gets performed efficiently. This is done to make sure service is made for the service going out.
Pros
Great pay, benefits and pension
Cons
Shift work with various off days. Poor work environment lots of mistrust
good company great wages good union
Bus Operator / Divisional Trainer (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONMarch 4, 2016
good learning experience co-workers are fun to work with management is very harsh long hours split shifts 24 hrs. operation start out working spareboard the pick a shift
We had a good soccer team
Bus and Subway Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 31, 2015
Was a great place to work good benefits and decent wages.
But with that came quite a bit of pressure and driving buses down town Toronto can be very demanding I also drove subways trains and trolley coaches.
Pros
Split shifts
Cons
The seniority system.
Reputable company with a great working environment.
Mechanical Engineering Coop (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 28, 2016
-Worked 7 hours a day spent mostly in the office but frequently performed hands on investigation and testing of vehicles and equipment at the shops.
-Learned how to apply engineering knowledge in resolving mechanical problems of vehicles. Learned a lot about designing and manufacturing.
-Management is very organized, fair, and shows great leadership.
-Co-workers are very friendly and team oriented.
-Finding the ideal solution to issues found on the vehicles is the most challenging part of the job.
-Learning new concepts and the variety of work available is very enjoyable.
Overall, great place to work
Overhead Linesperson Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 16, 2015
Overall it is a great place to work. Due to the nature of the business, it's a bit hard to have a way of life like everyone else. It's an enterprise that requires attention 24/7, so a lot of workers do odd shifts in order to maintain service.
Pros
Great people to work with, great benefits
Cons
Work night shifts and afternoons shifts. Work weekends.
Fantastic, open-minded and lovely team members at the TTC
(Co-op) Student Route Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 15, 2016
I have had very fantastic team members, being my managers and my co-workers whom had the same tasks that I had, at the TTC, who made and granted all the more healthy work relations and prompted for successful and satisfying work, team culture, as well as the environment surrounding us.
Pros
Very well-fashioned and put together team relations, healthy team and work relations and environmental and employee care
manager and colleagues are really work oriented and work as a team to success-ed in the task
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 30, 2016
i would recommend to work 3 stars/5 stars really good service provides in customer service sector as well as j and j restaurant and banquit also provides good food service all over toronto besides that bm moters have good reputation all over the world in providing their service
Pros
helpful, flexible, team work
Cons
less opportunities.
Too Glorified
Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
Being a driver for ttc is not as everyone says split shifts, weekends, holidays, nights, days. You basically have to give up your life for $61,000 a year which after benefits,tax,pension,union ends up working out to be $45,000 yearly. If you have skills experience and a family don't waste your time. I feel bad for ttc drivers being fooled with job security.
Pros
Nice uniforms
Cons
Everthing else
Excellent COOP Job
NDT COOP (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 30, 2015
I performed ultrasonic, magnetic particle, liquid penetrant and visual inspections on rail, alongside with hardness testing. It was an amazing learning experience as I had the opportunity to gain required hours to write my CGSB certifications in all of these techniques.
Pros
Practical to my career
TTC The Better Way in Everyway
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 17, 2015
Toronto Transit Commission is a fantastic company to work for because it allows you to use your talents in a multitude of ways and spread your wings as far as you wish to go. Though the perks are wonderful, it's not always about the material things but about respect support, lasting friendships and about having your voice heard from a supervisor or manager who seriously listens to your ideas and implements them. The job can be stressful at times but the support you receive makes it easier to handle.
Great job with pay and benefits.
Bus operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2015
Great career job to take care of your family and have A great life, and most co- workers are great, but some will stab you in the back to try and move ahead in the company.
Pros
great pay and benefits.
Cons
management does not care about its employees, your just a number and a dime a dozen.
Very nice to work but few hours of job
Customer Service representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 12, 2016
TTC experience is very great. Its amazing how it works and managed. The customer interactions are great to learn from. Nothing to complain. Just amazing experience.
Pros
great company
Cons
Not enough hours
Excellent company to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Clerk Electrical Dept.) (Former Employee) –  KeeleJanuary 6, 2016
Excellent company to work for.Good communication between all levels of management.Very positive environment to work and learn.
Friendly environment
Specifier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 6, 2015
Consultant work for TTC only

Good working environment.

Good communication between management and employee.

Good working hours.

High security requirement.
TTC
Expeditor; Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 5, 2015
TTC staff care about this city, and they work hard to implement senior management's vision and plans.

Typical working day as Purchasing Expeditor: Tracked parts orders and expedited late and urgent orders by telephone, email or personal contact. Resolved supplier issues within own authority and escalated when necessary. See resume for more details.

Typical working day as Office Assistant: Provided administrative support to Executive Office, Community Relations and Corporate Communications departments. See resume for more details.
Pros
Transit pass; hardworking and friendly staff
Cons
Budget constraints
Great company to work for
Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  TorontoApril 14, 2015
Even though my contract was for 6 months - it was extended for an additional 6 months. The work environment was wonderful,. Everyone was a team player. Department shared information, great communication.
Pros
Great company, great benefits for employees
Cons
Some waste of funds
Very professional and friendly workplace
Structural Designer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 14, 2016
I learnt many things and I really love my position. My co-workers are very friendly and my supervisor is really professional engineer. I work as a structural designer and I am a co-op student. But I got involved with real projects. This is a very nice job experience for me in Canada.
productive and fun work place
Customer Service Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 27, 2015
mostly busy work place
how to better serve customers and understanding the meaning of providing customers with help
management was excellent
standing for long hours
enjoyed helping commuters get to their destinations
Pros
Experience
Cons
Standing

4.2