TORONTO STAR Employee Reviews

not enjoyable
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 June 2017
EVEN tho I was very good at my job I did not like the way we were treated because of the company we worked for and left very early. this was mot a pleasant experience.
hated it
Sales representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 May 2017
did not enjoy this job at all. everything was commission based. too much walking outside. were not getting paid as much as we should've. warm days are okay cold days were the worst.
Great Time
Door to Door Sales (Former Employee) –  Star, AB9 May 2017
The friends i made during this job i am still friends with, so much fun and I'm very outgoing and have no problem talking to people so doing door to door sales was a very successful job for me.
fun work place but really hard to reach goals
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 May 2017
because the job was a commission based, and the fact that we were going door to door selling news papers, it was really hard to make sales and some days we would work all day without making a dime
Enjoyable, Rewarding working environment with a lot to learn
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2017
A great job to improve the way you communicate and persuade people. It gave me a platform to improve a lot of my communication skills at a very early age. The hardest part of the job was to convince others that Toronto Star is the best product out there and persuade them to subscribe it.
Pros
Free Snacks
Cons
A lot of talking
not so great place on personal experience
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON17 April 2017
Work at this job for 8 years. Monday-Saturday. Everything was fine till the current management quit. and new hands took over. 3 different times. Money ws either not getting payed on time. or workers were not getting paid at all.
Pros
Holiday cards, And Monetary Tips
Cons
Wasnt getting paid full amount on pay cheacks, sometimes wouldnt get paid at all.
Good place to work when it was open
Pressroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON28 March 2017
Plant closed - work was contracted out.
Company paid well and treated employees good. A lot of time off - very generous with vacation time. Good management.
Easy job
Delivery Person. (Former Employee) –  Star, AB6 March 2017
I loved this job because you are always on the move, i would work with my mom and she loved it because we got to interact with the people we were delivering to so its a great environment of work to be in
great exercise and great way to make money
Door to Door Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 February 2017
the job allowed breaks at any time, however, it was based on commission which meant it was very important to generate sales in a short period of time.
Commision based pay
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON28 January 2017
Door-to-door sales can be difficult, especially in winter when it is cold and at evening hours. It was commission based so every sale you had to try in order to get a good pay check.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Door-to-door sales
Hard work
Door to door sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2017
-Ribo is required
-Call center environment
- Sales driven environment
- C.E.I is what they look for.
- Driven people will be a successes
- Great benifits
-Wont be disspointed
Boring and tedious
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON13 December 2016
Large stacks of newspapers are delivered twice a week for you to organize, pack and deliver.
Extremely labour intensive for young teens
Wages decline the longer you work
Job consisted of delivering 60+ newspapers twice a week, hours put into the job reached up to 4 hours per week with a net pay of $30 for the month. The hourly wage is worked out to approximately $2 an hour
sales
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2016
it can be a hard place to work if you don't like sales because you will spend your whole day making calls and getting people to sign up. so think carefully
Productive and enthusiastic workplace
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2016
Working among an incredibly talented team of designers, content editors, producers, and art directors on the floor of The Star's newsroom was an invaluable learning experience.
Never a dull moment
Solicitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2016
My co-workers made the job a lot more fun than i expected. I had a lot of people turn down our promotions and sales but i learned how to stay motivated with a positive attitude with the help of my co-workers and managers.
Pros
Free Lunch
terrible workplace
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2016
The hours made it impossible to achieve a work life balance, advancement was based on nepotism and your ability to bully and demean your work force. 1954 leadership style. This is a place to work if nowhere else will hire you.
Great bunch of people
Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 October 2016
Great bunch of people.
Not enough money for new projects.
Keep the systems up was priority number one.
Must be a "fire fighter".
Great place to work, unfortunately they outsourced the production of the newspaper.
Pressman (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON10 October 2016
I learned how to work on a web press as my previous experience was on a sheet fed press which is an entirely different process.

The hardest part of the job was being on call 24/7 as this could be challenging at times with a family life.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a great team of people and working nights which enabled me to spend time with my family.

One of my job functions was to keep the press fed at all times in order to keep production moving.
Pros
Well paid and excellent benefits.
Cons
being on call 24/7
Fun while it lasted
Planning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON14 September 2016
Had a nice ten-year career at the Vaughan Press Center, and while it ended sooner than I'd hoped, I do not regret my time there, one bit. Gained a lot of experience through various jobs with the company, and made some new acquaintances as well.

Morale wasn't too high among fellow staff, in the final months, but we all had a job to do so the work got done as best as we could manage, and left with our heads held high.

At the end, I departed from the Star with many good memories and valuable experience, which I hope to bring to my next employer.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Mass layoffs, plant closure
Very good Working envoirnment
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  1 Young Street, Toronto11 July 2016
Great team to work with. As I am working here as a temporary contract filling a position for someone who is on maternity leave so I have to leave once the person arrives.

Currently they don't have permanent opportunity otherwise I would definitely would like to continue with this company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TORONTO STAR. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval