TORONTO STAR Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun work place getting to hang out with peers at the same time
Newspaper Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONFebruary 4, 2016
My typical day at work is basically going door to door asking people if they are willing to buy newspapers from Toronto Star. I learned how being nice to customers help a lot when it comes to sales. It was very fun working with my co-workers because we get to do our jobs and talk time to time. The hardest part of the job is that no matter how hard you try you will be turned down by people who won't buy your papers. The most enjoyable part of the job is we get to talk to our peers while we are eating for lunch or in a car heading to our destination.
Pros
Free lunches and free ride
Cons
Long hours and have to work no matter how bad the weather is
excellent working environment with very good colleagues and lots of learnning opertunities .
Industrial Electrician Torstar Printing Group (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJanuary 18, 2016
excellent working environment with very good colleagues and lots of learning opportunities .good supervisors ,ready help all the times.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
less chance of carrier advancement
Working at The Toronto Star was a challenging and collaborative experience
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 5, 2016
I enjoyed my time working at the Toronto Star. There I was mentored and given the opportunity to expand my coordinating and project management skills. I flourished in the environment and thrived working with my PMO team as well as the Directors and Executives. I would easily return to The Star if given the opportunity.
The Project Managers were all very effective and high class professionals.The hardest part of the job was coordinating amongst the many departments as it was a fast paced environment; this was also my favourite part of the job as it presented a challenge I was happy to meet and successfully pulled off.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long Hours
A day in the life of the Toronto Star
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 29, 2016
I learned how be become more social, a good summer job because of the pay. This job taught me how to become persistent and help developed a passion for making money
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
A good place to work for.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJanuary 16, 2016
Check schedule to see where we work at each day. How to operate and feed machines. Management was good. Co-workers were ok to work with. The hardest part of the job is trying to get people to work as a team. The enjoyable part of the job was training the people the right way to operate the machines.
Overall Toronto Star was a very good and friendly company to work because of its enviornment. The enviornment made it feel like it wasnt a job you wae
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 31, 2015
I loved working at Toronto star with a friendly environment and a very good part-time job to help me gain experience. The hardest part of the job was actually convincing you customers but that was only in the beginning after that it was all natural from there and so on.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long Hours
A day at Toronto Star
Field Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 13, 2016
A day at Toronto star included the sales representatives, me being one of them, to talk to various people and households about the benefits of subscribing to The Toronto Star. Many times, we, as a group of co-workers, would go, after work, to eat someplace and socialize which provided a very strong community of co-workers.
Pros
flexible work hours, fun, sociable, helps increase communication skills, comission
Cons
low pay
Odd hours and Commission Based
Individual Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Star, ABNovember 30, 2015
One thing I liked was that I was a competitive environment and everyday I went into work I always challenged myself to get subscriptions and up sell to existing subscribers.
good
HR Assistant/Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2015
fun place with supportive management. not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. decent amount of red tape and politics.
Fun place for students to earn money
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 24, 2016
We walked door to door selling news paper subscriptions. the job was fun since I got to work with other teenagers but sometimes felt a little like child labor. from this experience I learned ways to sell a product to a customer.
Pros
free lunches on weekends
Cons
long hours that interfered with school time
Great experience to showcase skills and build more
national account manager (Former Employee) –  1 Yonge StDecember 27, 2015
Each day was an opportunity to take my expertise and create a win win for all. Communication excellence allowed to build great networks, inspire team work and expand on understanding. Budgets and targets were exceeded while balancing needs of client and employer. Attention to detail and big picture thinking understanding the Why and How laid the framework for solid business and action plans.
Very educational and good for experience
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 1, 2015
Would meet up at a certain place then drivers would take us to specific locations and would have to persuade customers to subscribe to Toronto star with a team of 2.
Pros
Free lunches, Friendly envornment
Cons
Long hours, couldnt be home before 5 sales until 9
Hard work pays off
SUB-MARKETING CONTRACTOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 15, 2015
Hours were flexible to me and my partner. I learned great organization and planning skills, human relations, etc. Me and my sub-contract partner can plan to work at a time we desire, with 6 hours a day minimum. We mostly managed ourselves, and reported to the main contractor. The more business sales we made, the more we earned. The hardest part of the job is when we did not hit the daily sales goal, because we would be underpaid. The most enjoyable part of the job is the efficient team work between me and my partner.
Pros
more sales, more salary.
Cons
lack of job security.
Productive and fun workplace
QA Analyst / Software Tester (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 17, 2015
9 to 5 software testing and software QA job.
Very friendly management and co-workers.
Enjoyable place to work at. Good working environment.
Pros
Comfortable location
Cons
No free parking
Great but double-edged Job
Toronto Star Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONNovember 1, 2012
This job is one of those jobs where you have your ups and down since the pay is all commission-based.

You get $15 dollars for every daily subscription you get, $10 for the weekends and just $5 for a single day. If you get many subscriptions, you can see why I say this is double-edged; you'll make a ton of money, more than minimum wage. Otherwise if you get none, you have wasted your time (not necessarily since you do learn different methods and skills to persuade the customer).

The co-workers and the boss himself are very very friendly. Very good people. Definitely there is no worry about the community for what I've experienced.

Since the boss does drives us (co-workers and I) to selected neighbourhoods, the job security varies. I do feel safe enough, but for some, particularly females, they may be a bit frightened since sometimes we work in the evening. Fortunately, sometimes we are sent in teams of 2 and possibly 3.

There are small fusses about there not being enough pens, but besides that the management is fine.

Balancing your life and work is not hard at all. I, however, chose to quit in order to get amazing marks at school. That's just me though. I'm sure there are others who can keep the job and still do excellent.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
possibly no pay for long hours.
Good Exercise
Door to Door (Former Employee) –  Star, ABAugust 6, 2015
Lots of door to door and great customer service experience lots of new people and great neighborhoods with friendly people had a tremendous experience one of my favorite jobs that i have done
Good experience and lots of hardwork.
Paper Route (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2015
For my first job it was a good experience, it taught me how to manage and save my earnings, prioritize my time, and how to really work hard. Every week it would be basically me by myself putting paper together and delivering them the assigned houses.
Pros
experience
Cons
the pay wasn't the greatest for the amount of work being put in.
Support Centre Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2014
A typical day includes supporting various inhouse programs, users access via citrix servers.

I learned a lot about Citrix and Active Directory.

Management is good, they keep an I on things and make sure processes are being followed.

Great team with no internal conflicts, all work well together and help each other out.

The hardest part is learning the various inhouse programs, and the terminology used by each department.

The most enjoyable is the team I work with, very good people.
Pros
lots of opportunities to learn
Cons
everything is urgent due to newspapers being on deadline.
A Good Start
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  TorontoMarch 12, 2015
It was my first job. It helped figure out the kind of work i really wanted to. Great management, great work environment the group of people made working easy.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
hours
Taking inbound calls for the toronto star and outbound on occasion, helps develop good customer service skills.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2013
Typical day there is very routine. We had a time frame to get things done. Typical day there is we’re always on the clock, working fast paced. Very routine.
I developed my skills and experience in numerous different ways. While I already had strong IT skills, I didn’t have any previous experience of Microsoft Access. When my employer introduced a new order management system which used Access they gave me the opportunity to undertake additional training so as to be able to work effectively with this. I was then able to put this training into practice on a day-to-day basis and I am now extremely adept at using the package. I also learned a great deal about handling customers.
It was very fast paced but very friendly work environment, with good coworkers.