TORONTO STAR Employee Reviews

excellent working environment with very good colleagues and lots of learnning opertunities .
Industrial Electrician Torstar Printing Group (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJanuary 18, 2016
excellent working environment with very good colleagues and lots of learning opportunities .good supervisors ,ready help all the times.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
less chance of carrier advancement
A good place to work for.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJanuary 16, 2016
Check schedule to see where we work at each day. How to operate and feed machines. Management was good. Co-workers were ok to work with. The hardest part of the job is trying to get people to work as a team. The enjoyable part of the job was training the people the right way to operate the machines.
Great experience to showcase skills and build more
national account manager (Former Employee) –  1 Yonge StDecember 27, 2015
Each day was an opportunity to take my expertise and create a win win for all. Communication excellence allowed to build great networks, inspire team work and expand on understanding. Budgets and targets were exceeded while balancing needs of client and employer. Attention to detail and big picture thinking understanding the Why and How laid the framework for solid business and action plans.
Odd hours and Commission Based
Individual Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Star, ABNovember 30, 2015
One thing I liked was that I was a competitive environment and everyday I went into work I always challenged myself to get subscriptions and up sell to existing subscribers.
Overall Toronto Star was a very good and friendly company to work because of its enviornment. The enviornment made it feel like it wasnt a job you wae
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 31, 2015
I loved working at Toronto star with a friendly environment and a very good part-time job to help me gain experience. The hardest part of the job was actually convincing you customers but that was only in the beginning after that it was all natural from there and so on.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Very educational and good for experience
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 1, 2015
Would meet up at a certain place then drivers would take us to specific locations and would have to persuade customers to subscribe to Toronto star with a team of 2.
Pros
Free lunches, Friendly envornment
Cons
Long hours, couldnt be home before 5 sales until 9
Productive and fun workplace
QA Analyst / Software Tester (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 17, 2015
9 to 5 software testing and software QA job.
Very friendly management and co-workers.
Enjoyable place to work at. Good working environment.
Pros
Comfortable location
Cons
No free parking
good
HR Assistant/Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2015
fun place with supportive management. not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. decent amount of red tape and politics.
Good Exercise
Door to Door (Former Employee) –  Star, ABAugust 6, 2015
Lots of door to door and great customer service experience lots of new people and great neighborhoods with friendly people had a tremendous experience one of my favorite jobs that i have done
A Good Start
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  TorontoMarch 12, 2015
It was my first job. It helped figure out the kind of work i really wanted to. Great management, great work environment the group of people made working easy.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
hours
Hard
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Star, ABMarch 2, 2015
A typical day at work in Toronto star is really hard because its summer its hot and you have to go door to door. The fun part in this job was traveling.
Hard work pays off
SUB-MARKETING CONTRACTOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 15, 2015
Hours were flexible to me and my partner. I learned great organization and planning skills, human relations, etc. Me and my sub-contract partner can plan to work at a time we desire, with 6 hours a day minimum. We mostly managed ourselves, and reported to the main contractor. The more business sales we made, the more we earned. The hardest part of the job is when we did not hit the daily sales goal, because we would be underpaid. The most enjoyable part of the job is the efficient team work between me and my partner.
Pros
more sales, more salary.
Cons
lack of job security.
Dynamic Work Place
Business Development Strategist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 9, 2015
The Star was my first Canadian news organisation and so I cut my teeth on a very complex and fast paced environment.

My typical day involved working with many different teams internally to explore new areas for growth and revenue within pre-existing content models. Research, Audience Development, Editorial and Sales were all departments that were involved in the creation and execution of any new initiative I brought to the table.

The opportunity to 'blue sky' new ideas was a very significant part of my job that I enjoyed immensely. I was able to dive deep into the world of content solutions and architecture and propose new concepts that would be a success both with audiences and with advertisers.

Challenges included the internal navigation of the different departments and the different agendas that they held. Challenges also included the different approaches of each department and finding a happy medium.
Good workplace and friendly co-workers
Newspaper Sorting (Former Employee) –  Keswick, ONFebruary 2, 2015
- Unloaded truck and put bundles of papers into stacks, grouped flyers and papers, gave newspaper deliverer whoever much papers and flyers they needed.
- I learned how to communicate with others how much more needs to be done.
- Co-workers were nice and hard working despite being tired.
-There was no part of the job that stuck out as the hardest part.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to co-workers.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
starting at 3am
Good experience and lots of hardwork.
Paper Route (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2015
For my first job it was a good experience, it taught me how to manage and save my earnings, prioritize my time, and how to really work hard. Every week it would be basically me by myself putting paper together and delivering them the assigned houses.
Pros
experience
Cons
the pay wasn't the greatest for the amount of work being put in.
knowledgeable
PRESS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJanuary 14, 2015
learning environment. a great company to expand your arisen. Ability to complete assigned tasks in a timely manner with attention to detail, waste management
Monitor and adjust to quality expectations and work closely with department supervisor. which return is knowledgeable.
awful
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2015
the worst job available. terrible work conditions and just not a friendly place to work. management was not great. the pay was not great awful customer service.
Senior Network/Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 20, 2014
Perform lot of Data Center and Network Security. Perform lot of visualization work also in VMWare
A typical day
Sales Representatives (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 1, 2014
During my time with Toronto Star, i did learn that, i have to keep going, even if customers get rude. Each day, with all the other co-workers, we would be picked up and dropped off at the location to make sales, and each sale we made, we would get paid. Although i made sales, i didn't get any pay, but i did gain experience as a sales rep.
Pros
pizza
Cons
no pay
Friendly co-workers
mailing room distribution (Former Employee) –  Tor, UPNovember 26, 2014
Great atmosphere. teamwork environment and flexible work schedule