TORONTO STAR Employee Reviews in Canada

They're Terrible
Door-to-Door Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Star, ABJune 24, 2016
They paid per commission, had terrible reputation, would not give you day off if you're ill or tired. They throw you to the streets, with no log of who already has subscription and a pathetic script to memorize so people feel bad for you and subscribe. They have pretty terrible reputation and they send you on your own with a partner to a lousy neighborhood and don't pick you up till 3-4 hours later. Their commission pay is less than promised and you barely get any, when I quit they never paid me back and blocked my number. You can't get paid unless you make a TD account. Their drivers are inexperienced and once they even had a car accident that was the driver's fault. On weekends they force you to work for 7 hours before giving you your promised meal. You're lucky if they give you a water bottle and they once offered me drugs while tired so I can focus on work.
Pros
Free water
Cons
everything about them
Provided free lunches on special occtions
Lead Recruiter/Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJune 18, 2016
The special part working for the Toronto Star was that it was part of a team. It could be a group of 2 or a group of 20 co-workers. Majority of the time when you work as a team it is helpful and at the same time fun. Working with co-worker and management for years they become like a second family. We help and take care of each other. The work was hard at times, there was a lot of heavy lifting. Your co-workers were there to help out and so it became enjoyable. Management would always remark of the great hard work that is done on time no matter how much pressure we were in.
Pros
Management very understqanding with the physical work required
Cons
N/A
salon
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMay 17, 2016
I have learned many types of skills such as improving communication skills and learning how to be organized as well managing my time. I would say my management is good using available resources and efficiently to accomplish goals. It is every enjoyable to get to know my co-works as well have privilege to learn from one and another. The hardest part of the job is having to do thing right even if sometimes it mean not getting along with colleagues or clients. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting all kinds of people and learning something new everyday.
Pros
free hair cuts
Working at The Toronto Star was a challenging and collaborative experience
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 5, 2016
I enjoyed my time working at the Toronto Star. There I was mentored and given the opportunity to expand my coordinating and project management skills. I flourished in the environment and thrived working with my PMO team as well as the Directors and Executives. I would easily return to The Star if given the opportunity.
The Project Managers were all very effective and high class professionals.The hardest part of the job was coordinating amongst the many departments as it was a fast paced environment; this was also my favourite part of the job as it presented a challenge I was happy to meet and successfully pulled off.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long Hours
Fun place for students to earn money
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 24, 2016
We walked door to door selling news paper subscriptions. the job was fun since I got to work with other teenagers but sometimes felt a little like child labor. from this experience I learned ways to sell a product to a customer.
Pros
free lunches on weekends
Cons
long hours that interfered with school time
A day at Toronto Star
Field Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 13, 2016
A day at Toronto star included the sales representatives, me being one of them, to talk to various people and households about the benefits of subscribing to The Toronto Star. Many times, we, as a group of co-workers, would go, after work, to eat someplace and socialize which provided a very strong community of co-workers.
Pros
flexible work hours, fun, sociable, helps increase communication skills, comission
Cons
low pay
A day in the life of the Toronto Star
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 29, 2016
I learned how be become more social, a good summer job because of the pay. This job taught me how to become persistent and help developed a passion for making money
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Fun work place getting to hang out with peers at the same time
Newspaper Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONFebruary 4, 2016
My typical day at work is basically going door to door asking people if they are willing to buy newspapers from Toronto Star. I learned how being nice to customers help a lot when it comes to sales. It was very fun working with my co-workers because we get to do our jobs and talk time to time. The hardest part of the job is that no matter how hard you try you will be turned down by people who won't buy your papers. The most enjoyable part of the job is we get to talk to our peers while we are eating for lunch or in a car heading to our destination.
Pros
Free lunches and free ride
Cons
Long hours and have to work no matter how bad the weather is
excellent working environment with very good colleagues and lots of learnning opertunities .
Industrial Electrician Torstar Printing Group (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJanuary 18, 2016
excellent working environment with very good colleagues and lots of learning opportunities .good supervisors ,ready help all the times.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
less chance of carrier advancement
A good place to work for.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJanuary 16, 2016
Check schedule to see where we work at each day. How to operate and feed machines. Management was good. Co-workers were ok to work with. The hardest part of the job is trying to get people to work as a team. The enjoyable part of the job was training the people the right way to operate the machines.
Great experience to showcase skills and build more
national account manager (Former Employee) –  1 Yonge StDecember 27, 2015
Each day was an opportunity to take my expertise and create a win win for all. Communication excellence allowed to build great networks, inspire team work and expand on understanding. Budgets and targets were exceeded while balancing needs of client and employer. Attention to detail and big picture thinking understanding the Why and How laid the framework for solid business and action plans.
Odd hours and Commission Based
Individual Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Star, ABNovember 30, 2015
One thing I liked was that I was a competitive environment and everyday I went into work I always challenged myself to get subscriptions and up sell to existing subscribers.
Overall Toronto Star was a very good and friendly company to work because of its enviornment. The enviornment made it feel like it wasnt a job you wae
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 31, 2015
I loved working at Toronto star with a friendly environment and a very good part-time job to help me gain experience. The hardest part of the job was actually convincing you customers but that was only in the beginning after that it was all natural from there and so on.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Very educational and good for experience
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 1, 2015
Would meet up at a certain place then drivers would take us to specific locations and would have to persuade customers to subscribe to Toronto star with a team of 2.
Pros
Free lunches, Friendly envornment
Cons
Long hours, couldnt be home before 5 sales until 9
Productive and fun workplace
QA Analyst / Software Tester (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 17, 2015
9 to 5 software testing and software QA job.
Very friendly management and co-workers.
Enjoyable place to work at. Good working environment.
Pros
Comfortable location
Cons
No free parking
good
HR Assistant/Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2015
fun place with supportive management. not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. decent amount of red tape and politics.
Good Exercise
Door to Door (Former Employee) –  Star, ABAugust 6, 2015
Lots of door to door and great customer service experience lots of new people and great neighborhoods with friendly people had a tremendous experience one of my favorite jobs that i have done
A Good Start
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  TorontoMarch 12, 2015
It was my first job. It helped figure out the kind of work i really wanted to. Great management, great work environment the group of people made working easy.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
hours
Hard
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Star, ABMarch 2, 2015
A typical day at work in Toronto star is really hard because its summer its hot and you have to go door to door. The fun part in this job was traveling.
Hard work pays off
SUB-MARKETING CONTRACTOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 15, 2015
Hours were flexible to me and my partner. I learned great organization and planning skills, human relations, etc. Me and my sub-contract partner can plan to work at a time we desire, with 6 hours a day minimum. We mostly managed ourselves, and reported to the main contractor. The more business sales we made, the more we earned. The hardest part of the job is when we did not hit the daily sales goal, because we would be underpaid. The most enjoyable part of the job is the efficient team work between me and my partner.
Pros
more sales, more salary.
Cons
lack of job security.