TORONTO STAR

TORONTO STAR Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
it was a great experience
Sale Contractor (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONJune 21, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Even thought my friend and I only worked one day in Toronto Star as a sale contractor, but it was a fun day. I was kind of nervous when I was on my own, to knock stranger's door and say my line, but when I go door by door, 1 by 1, i got use to it, i learned many thing, i can speak in front of stranger, clearly and fast and i make sure they understand – more... what im saying. – less
fun and outgoing workplace
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 17, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Learnt to inquire customers
Outgoing co-workers
Flexible hours
Not such a good place to work
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2014
During my stay here, there was at least one manager or staff escorted out by security after spot firing
a great place to work
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee), Toronto ONMarch 4, 2014
Good benefits, great company to work for, additional work related courses are encouraged
Toronto star - delivery
Quality customer service (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 12, 2014
The Toronto Star – Weekly News Paper

Delivered Toronto star news papers

Organized and prepare flyers/newspaper

Excellent communication and presentation skills

Quality customer service.
Flexible with Costumer Service and Traveling Opportunities
Toronto Star Carrier (Former Employee), Beaverton, ONFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: minimal traffic in the duration of the hours, tim horton's coffee
Cons: snow
My typical day for this job implies ensuring delivery of the Toronto Star Newspaper in a vehicle from 3am to 9am, seven days a week. I also would have to keep up to date records on the Routes and upkeep specifications based on the customer's need.

I learned how to communicate and provide excellent customer service and adapt to the needs of others. – more... I also have much more first hand experience with defensive driving in all road conditions and weather.

My management for this job provided me with a previous employee to train me, ensuring I met the standards' of the clients.
I was also provided updated information to adjust any changes the client/customer had involving his/her rural delivery services.

My co-workers were cooperative and helpful. Everyone always lent a helpful hand to ensure delivery was completed, if issues had risen.

The hardest part of the job was the weather conditions. Although a time frame was expanded, if need be.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the customer's feedback to fulfill the needs in which they required. – less
fun
Delivery Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2014
i learned time management skills, and how to do things according to the time.
OK
Paperboy (Former Employee), MississaugaFebruary 3, 2014
Cons: long and cold hours
The typical work day was very cold and dark going house to house dopping newspapers.
great hours and pay
Paper distributor (Former Employee), New Lowell, ONJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: early morning hours
Cons: seven nights a week
Enjoyed the early morning hours and working on my own. Enjoyed the interaction with the customers got along with everyone I met.. The Hardest part of the job was working 7 nights a week. I learned that in a job like this there is no backup so sick or not you had to go to work. This job had to be done and I couldn't call someone at 3 am to say I can't – more... come in. Most enjoyable part was meeting the customers. – less
Contract work
Wholesale operator (Former Employee), Brant county OntarioJanuary 17, 2014
The contract work here was not difficult physically or mentally. There were some perks to the job if performance exceeded expectations. I enjoyed the majority of them.
Team Members were good. Management not so much.
Advertising (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: short hours
Cons: did not get paid for every hour on the job.
The management were inefficient in their actions.
My own supervisor did not have the routine completely planned.

The hardest part of the job was to improvise on how I act with the future employees.
This being said, it was also the most enjoyable part of the job, as I greatly improved upon my communication skills.
Typical day
Sales (Former Employee), Richmond Hill, ONDecember 28, 2013
Pros: transportation was provided.
Cons: weather conditions were extreme.
I would usually start work at 8 or 9am, a driver would come to the nearest meeting point to pick me up and other workers too. Then he drops us off at neighbourhoods, to present the idea to people door to door. I learned that patience is key, you approach around hundred's of houses a day, not all of them were as welcoming as others, which leads to my – more... next point. The hardest part of the job was the amount of ignorance that was effecting you, doors would get shut in your face but that's something you had to deal with. Although I did not enjoy the job a lot, I think it was a great experience, you learn a lot about sales. – less
A very productive and fun filled experience
Student Sales Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 10, 2013
A typical day at work is basically fun filled. i learned how to captivate and pitch sales to people. My co-workers were in the sam eage ra
Boring workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Star, ABNovember 14, 2013
- knock on doors
- customer service
- friendly co-workers
- getting people to be nice
- getting paid
Good
IT Related (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 1, 2013
Pros: great teamwork flexibility
-Good pay
-A little disorganized
-Employees are empowered to make judgement calls
-Some job tools are a little out of date
-Great team environment, work shifts flexible as long as a team member covers.
Fun environment
Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 16, 2013
However, before i was hired, the company had not hired in over 20 years! It was extremely difficult for the employees to accept change
summer job
Media Distributor (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONAugust 27, 2013
Worked here while i was a kid. good solid job at the age of 10 and very simple. flyer days were tiring
worst job ever
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Ajax, ONAugust 21, 2013
Pros: free lunch only on sundays
Cons: mean boss, long hours, not safe, not paid well
The supervisor was really mean. they had us working till almost 12 a.m in strange neighborhoods knocking on peoples doors by ourselves. NOT SAFE AT ALL!! Plus the people we were trying sell the newspaper subscriptions too thought that the Toronto star was bias, i do too! i haven't got paid yet.
Interesting Sales Experience
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 4, 2013
Pros: car pooling
Cons: can be exhausting
Working for the Toronto Star can, at times, be very interesting. The Sales Representative position in the Toronto Star requires its workers to go door-to-door and interact with people in order to persuade them subscribe to the Toronto Star Newspaper.

The job doesn't often involve teamwork, rather an individual effort to make sales. The most enjoyable – more... part of this job is that you meet some very interesting characters when knocking on the door of an unknown potential customer.

The hardest part of this job would probably be the amount of energy one would require in order to do well. Whether it's winter or summer, Sales Representatives are expected to walk through each neighborhood, which usually takes several hours, and talk to each and every house in the area. – less
Part time good for walking keeping fit.
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 3, 2013
Pros: get gift for christmas such as gas coupons
Cons: pay increase
Good part time job get not much pay cos we work under a sub contractor.