TORONTO STAR Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
A day at Toronto Star
Field Sales Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 13, 2016
Pros: flexible work hours, fun, sociable, helps increase communication skills, comission
Cons: low pay
A day at Toronto star included the sales representatives, me being one of them, to talk to various people and households about the benefits of subscribing to The Toronto Star. Many times, we, as a group of co-workers, would go, after work, to eat someplace and socialize which provided a very strong community of co-workers.
A day in the life of the Toronto Star
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 29, 2016
Pros: Free lunches
Cons: long hours
I learned how be become more social, a good summer job because of the pay. This job taught me how to become persistent and help developed a passion for making money
Fun work place getting to hang out with peers at the same time
Newspaper Delivery Person (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONFebruary 4, 2016
Pros: Free lunches and free ride
Cons: Long hours and have to work no matter how bad the weather is
My typical day at work is basically going door to door asking people if they are willing to buy newspapers from Toronto Star. I learned how being nice to customers help a lot when it comes to sales. It was very fun working with my co-workers because we get to do our jobs and talk time to time. The hardest part of the job is that no matter how hard you try you will be turned down by people who won't buy your papers. The most enjoyable part of the job is we get to talk to our peers while we are eating for lunch or in a car heading to our destination.
excellent working environment with very good colleagues and lots of learnning opertunities .
Industrial Electrician Torstar Printing Group (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Pros: good working environment
Cons: less chance of carrier advancement
excellent working environment with very good colleagues and lots of learning opportunities .good supervisors ,ready help all the times.
A good place to work for.
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONJanuary 16, 2016
Check schedule to see where we work at each day. How to operate and feed machines. Management was good. Co-workers were ok to work with. The hardest part of the job is trying to get people to work as a team. The enjoyable part of the job was training the people the right way to operate the machines.
Great experience to showcase skills and build more
national account manager (Former Employee), 1 Yonge StDecember 27, 2015
Each day was an opportunity to take my expertise and create a win win for all. Communication excellence allowed to build great networks, inspire team work and expand on understanding. Budgets and targets were exceeded while balancing needs of client and employer. Attention to detail and big picture thinking understanding the Why and How laid the framework for solid business and action plans.
Odd hours and Commission Based
Individual Sales Representative (Former Employee), Star, ABNovember 30, 2015
One thing I liked was that I was a competitive environment and everyday I went into work I always challenged myself to get subscriptions and up sell to existing subscribers.
Overall Toronto Star was a very good and friendly company to work because of its enviornment. The enviornment made it feel like it wasnt a job you wae
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 31, 2015
Pros: Free lunches
Cons: Long Hours
I loved working at Toronto star with a friendly environment and a very good part-time job to help me gain experience. The hardest part of the job was actually convincing you customers but that was only in the beginning after that it was all natural from there and so on.
Very educational and good for experience
Salesman (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 1, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, Friendly envornment
Cons: Long hours, couldnt be home before 5 sales until 9
Would meet up at a certain place then drivers would take us to specific locations and would have to persuade customers to subscribe to Toronto star with a team of 2.
Productive and fun workplace
QA Analyst / Software Tester (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 17, 2015
Pros: Comfortable location
Cons: No free parking
9 to 5 software testing and software QA job.
Very friendly management and co-workers.
Enjoyable place to work at. Good working environment.
good
HR Assistant/Intern (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2015
fun place with supportive management. not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. decent amount of red tape and politics.
Good Exercise
Door to Door (Former Employee), Star, ABAugust 6, 2015
Lots of door to door and great customer service experience lots of new people and great neighborhoods with friendly people had a tremendous experience one of my favorite jobs that i have done
A Good Start
Sales Representative (Former Employee), TorontoMarch 12, 2015
Pros: great work enviroment
Cons: hours
It was my first job. It helped figure out the kind of work i really wanted to. Great management, great work environment the group of people made working easy.
Hard
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Star, ABMarch 2, 2015
A typical day at work in Toronto star is really hard because its summer its hot and you have to go door to door. The fun part in this job was traveling.
Hard work pays off
SUB-MARKETING CONTRACTOR (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: more sales, more salary.
Cons: lack of job security.
Hours were flexible to me and my partner. I learned great organization and planning skills, human relations, etc. Me and my sub-contract partner can plan to work at a time we desire, with 6 hours a day minimum. We mostly managed ourselves, and reported to the main contractor. The more business sales we made, the more we earned. The hardest part of the job is when we did not hit the daily sales goal, because we would be underpaid. The most enjoyable part of the job is the efficient team work between me and my partner.
Dynamic Work Place
Business Development Strategist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 9, 2015
The Star was my first Canadian news organisation and so I cut my teeth on a very complex and fast paced environment.

My typical day involved working with many different teams internally to explore new areas for growth and revenue within pre-existing content models. Research, Audience Development, Editorial and Sales were all departments that were involved in the creation and execution of any new initiative I brought to the table.

The opportunity to 'blue sky' new ideas was a very significant part of my job that I enjoyed immensely. I was able to dive deep into the world of content solutions and architecture and propose new concepts that would be a success both with audiences and with advertisers.

Challenges included the internal navigation of the different departments and the different agendas that they held. Challenges also included the different approaches of each department and finding a happy medium.
Good workplace and friendly co-workers
Newspaper Sorting (Former Employee), Keswick, ONFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: nice co-workers
Cons: starting at 3am
- Unloaded truck and put bundles of papers into stacks, grouped flyers and papers, gave newspaper deliverer whoever much papers and flyers they needed.
- I learned how to communicate with others how much more needs to be done.
- Co-workers were nice and hard working despite being tired.
-There was no part of the job that stuck out as the hardest part.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to co-workers.
Good experience and lots of hardwork.
Paper Route (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: experience
Cons: the pay wasn't the greatest for the amount of work being put in.
For my first job it was a good experience, it taught me how to manage and save my earnings, prioritize my time, and how to really work hard. Every week it would be basically me by myself putting paper together and delivering them the assigned houses.
knowledgeable
PRESS OPERATOR (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONJanuary 14, 2015
learning environment. a great company to expand your arisen. Ability to complete assigned tasks in a timely manner with attention to detail, waste management
Monitor and adjust to quality expectations and work closely with department supervisor. which return is knowledgeable.
awful
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2015
the worst job available. terrible work conditions and just not a friendly place to work. management was not great. the pay was not great awful customer service.