TORONTO STAR Employee Reviews

Productive and enthusiastic workplace
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2016
Working among an incredibly talented team of designers, content editors, producers, and art directors on the floor of The Star's newsroom was an invaluable learning experience.
Never a dull moment
Solicitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2016
My co-workers made the job a lot more fun than i expected. I had a lot of people turn down our promotions and sales but i learned how to stay motivated with a positive attitude with the help of my co-workers and managers.
Pros
Free Lunch
terrible workplace
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2016
The hours made it impossible to achieve a work life balance, advancement was based on nepotism and your ability to bully and demean your work force. 1954 leadership style. This is a place to work if nowhere else will hire you.
Great bunch of people
Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 October 2016
Great bunch of people.
Not enough money for new projects.
Keep the systems up was priority number one.
Must be a "fire fighter".
Great place to work, unfortunately they outsourced the production of the newspaper.
Pressman (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON10 October 2016
I learned how to work on a web press as my previous experience was on a sheet fed press which is an entirely different process.

The hardest part of the job was being on call 24/7 as this could be challenging at times with a family life.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a great team of people and working nights which enabled me to spend time with my family.

One of my job functions was to keep the press fed at all times in order to keep production moving.
Pros
Well paid and excellent benefits.
Cons
being on call 24/7
Fun while it lasted
Planning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON14 September 2016
Had a nice ten-year career at the Vaughan Press Center, and while it ended sooner than I'd hoped, I do not regret my time there, one bit. Gained a lot of experience through various jobs with the company, and made some new acquaintances as well.

Morale wasn't too high among fellow staff, in the final months, but we all had a job to do so the work got done as best as we could manage, and left with our heads held high.

At the end, I departed from the Star with many good memories and valuable experience, which I hope to bring to my next employer.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Mass layoffs, plant closure
Very good Working envoirnment
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  1 Young Street, Toronto11 July 2016
Great team to work with. As I am working here as a temporary contract filling a position for someone who is on maternity leave so I have to leave once the person arrives.

Currently they don't have permanent opportunity otherwise I would definitely would like to continue with this company.
fun and friendly workplace. no bias treatment
Hopper/Jogger/Inserter (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON4 July 2016
i love working in Toronto Star. All workers are friendly and helping each other. They fairly pay overtime pay and lots of benefits
Pros
a lot of benefits
the company used to be better
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 June 2016
The industry has changed consequently so has everything else. The health benefits are still good but mangement is in diarray.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
uncertainty
Productive Workforce
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Star, AB27 June 2016
Wonderful Workforce, and I enjoyed working for Toronto and distributing papers regarding our new features to the paper.
Pros
Rides to work and back
They're Terrible
Door-to-Door Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Star, AB24 June 2016
They paid per commission, had terrible reputation, would not give you day off if you're ill or tired. They throw you to the streets, with no log of who already has subscription and a pathetic script to memorize so people feel bad for you and subscribe. They have pretty terrible reputation and they send you on your own with a partner to a lousy neighborhood and don't pick you up till 3-4 hours later. Their commission pay is less than promised and you barely get any, when I quit they never paid me back and blocked my number. You can't get paid unless you make a TD account. Their drivers are inexperienced and once they even had a car accident that was the driver's fault. On weekends they force you to work for 7 hours before giving you your promised meal. You're lucky if they give you a water bottle and they once offered me drugs while tired so I can focus on work.
Pros
Free water
Cons
everything about them
Provided free lunches on special occtions
Lead Recruiter/Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 June 2016
The special part working for the Toronto Star was that it was part of a team. It could be a group of 2 or a group of 20 co-workers. Majority of the time when you work as a team it is helpful and at the same time fun. Working with co-worker and management for years they become like a second family. We help and take care of each other. The work was hard at times, there was a lot of heavy lifting. Your co-workers were there to help out and so it became enjoyable. Management would always remark of the great hard work that is done on time no matter how much pressure we were in.
Pros
Management very understqanding with the physical work required
Cons
N/A
good job overall to start with something
Solicitor (Former Employee) –  Star, AB10 June 2016
I got payed commision on selling newspaper plans door to door. The pay depended on if you sold or not so its a great place to start edging up on marketing skills.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
if you didnt work hard you wouldnt get payed
salon
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON17 May 2016
I have learned many types of skills such as improving communication skills and learning how to be organized as well managing my time. I would say my management is good using available resources and efficiently to accomplish goals. It is every enjoyable to get to know my co-works as well have privilege to learn from one and another. The hardest part of the job is having to do thing right even if sometimes it mean not getting along with colleagues or clients. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting all kinds of people and learning something new everyday.
Pros
free hair cuts
Working at The Toronto Star was a challenging and collaborative experience
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2016
I enjoyed my time working at the Toronto Star. There I was mentored and given the opportunity to expand my coordinating and project management skills. I flourished in the environment and thrived working with my PMO team as well as the Directors and Executives. I would easily return to The Star if given the opportunity.
The Project Managers were all very effective and high class professionals.The hardest part of the job was coordinating amongst the many departments as it was a fast paced environment; this was also my favourite part of the job as it presented a challenge I was happy to meet and successfully pulled off.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long Hours
Fun place for students to earn money
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 April 2016
We walked door to door selling news paper subscriptions. the job was fun since I got to work with other teenagers but sometimes felt a little like child labor. from this experience I learned ways to sell a product to a customer.
Pros
free lunches on weekends
Cons
long hours that interfered with school time
A day at Toronto Star
Field Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 April 2016
A day at Toronto star included the sales representatives, me being one of them, to talk to various people and households about the benefits of subscribing to The Toronto Star. Many times, we, as a group of co-workers, would go, after work, to eat someplace and socialize which provided a very strong community of co-workers.
Pros
flexible work hours, fun, sociable, helps increase communication skills, comission
Cons
low pay
A day in the life of the Toronto Star
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 February 2016
I learned how be become more social, a good summer job because of the pay. This job taught me how to become persistent and help developed a passion for making money
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Fun work place getting to hang out with peers at the same time
Newspaper Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 February 2016
My typical day at work is basically going door to door asking people if they are willing to buy newspapers from Toronto Star. I learned how being nice to customers help a lot when it comes to sales. It was very fun working with my co-workers because we get to do our jobs and talk time to time. The hardest part of the job is that no matter how hard you try you will be turned down by people who won't buy your papers. The most enjoyable part of the job is we get to talk to our peers while we are eating for lunch or in a car heading to our destination.
Pros
Free lunches and free ride
Cons
Long hours and have to work no matter how bad the weather is
excellent working environment with very good colleagues and lots of learnning opertunities .
Industrial Electrician Torstar Printing Group (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 January 2016
excellent working environment with very good colleagues and lots of learning opportunities .good supervisors ,ready help all the times.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
less chance of carrier advancement