TORONTO STAR Employee Reviews

not so great place on personal experience
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON17 April 2017
Work at this job for 8 years. Monday-Saturday. Everything was fine till the current management quit. and new hands took over. 3 different times. Money ws either not getting payed on time. or workers were not getting paid at all.
Pros
Holiday cards, And Monetary Tips
Cons
Wasnt getting paid full amount on pay cheacks, sometimes wouldnt get paid at all.
Good place to work when it was open
Pressroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON28 March 2017
Plant closed - work was contracted out.
Company paid well and treated employees good. A lot of time off - very generous with vacation time. Good management.
Easy job
Delivery Person. (Former Employee) –  Star, AB6 March 2017
I loved this job because you are always on the move, i would work with my mom and she loved it because we got to interact with the people we were delivering to so its a great environment of work to be in
great exercise and great way to make money
Door to Door Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 February 2017
the job allowed breaks at any time, however, it was based on commission which meant it was very important to generate sales in a short period of time.
Commision based pay
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON28 January 2017
Door-to-door sales can be difficult, especially in winter when it is cold and at evening hours. It was commission based so every sale you had to try in order to get a good pay check.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Door-to-door sales
Hard work
Door to door sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2017
-Ribo is required
-Call center environment
- Sales driven environment
- C.E.I is what they look for.
- Driven people will be a successes
- Great benifits
-Wont be disspointed
Boring and tedious
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON13 December 2016
Large stacks of newspapers are delivered twice a week for you to organize, pack and deliver.
Extremely labour intensive for young teens
Wages decline the longer you work
Job consisted of delivering 60+ newspapers twice a week, hours put into the job reached up to 4 hours per week with a net pay of $30 for the month. The hourly wage is worked out to approximately $2 an hour
sales
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2016
it can be a hard place to work if you don't like sales because you will spend your whole day making calls and getting people to sign up. so think carefully
Productive and enthusiastic workplace
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2016
Working among an incredibly talented team of designers, content editors, producers, and art directors on the floor of The Star's newsroom was an invaluable learning experience.
Never a dull moment
Solicitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2016
My co-workers made the job a lot more fun than i expected. I had a lot of people turn down our promotions and sales but i learned how to stay motivated with a positive attitude with the help of my co-workers and managers.
Pros
Free Lunch
terrible workplace
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2016
The hours made it impossible to achieve a work life balance, advancement was based on nepotism and your ability to bully and demean your work force. 1954 leadership style. This is a place to work if nowhere else will hire you.
Great bunch of people
Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 October 2016
Great bunch of people.
Not enough money for new projects.
Keep the systems up was priority number one.
Must be a "fire fighter".
Great place to work, unfortunately they outsourced the production of the newspaper.
Pressman (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON10 October 2016
I learned how to work on a web press as my previous experience was on a sheet fed press which is an entirely different process.

The hardest part of the job was being on call 24/7 as this could be challenging at times with a family life.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a great team of people and working nights which enabled me to spend time with my family.

One of my job functions was to keep the press fed at all times in order to keep production moving.
Pros
Well paid and excellent benefits.
Cons
being on call 24/7
Fun while it lasted
Planning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON14 September 2016
Had a nice ten-year career at the Vaughan Press Center, and while it ended sooner than I'd hoped, I do not regret my time there, one bit. Gained a lot of experience through various jobs with the company, and made some new acquaintances as well.

Morale wasn't too high among fellow staff, in the final months, but we all had a job to do so the work got done as best as we could manage, and left with our heads held high.

At the end, I departed from the Star with many good memories and valuable experience, which I hope to bring to my next employer.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Mass layoffs, plant closure
Very good Working envoirnment
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  1 Young Street, Toronto11 July 2016
Great team to work with. As I am working here as a temporary contract filling a position for someone who is on maternity leave so I have to leave once the person arrives.

Currently they don't have permanent opportunity otherwise I would definitely would like to continue with this company.
fun and friendly workplace. no bias treatment
Hopper/Jogger/Inserter (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON4 July 2016
i love working in Toronto Star. All workers are friendly and helping each other. They fairly pay overtime pay and lots of benefits
Pros
a lot of benefits
the company used to be better
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 June 2016
The industry has changed consequently so has everything else. The health benefits are still good but mangement is in diarray.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
uncertainty
Productive Workforce
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Star, AB27 June 2016
Wonderful Workforce, and I enjoyed working for Toronto and distributing papers regarding our new features to the paper.
Pros
Rides to work and back
They're Terrible
Door-to-Door Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Star, AB24 June 2016
They paid per commission, had terrible reputation, would not give you day off if you're ill or tired. They throw you to the streets, with no log of who already has subscription and a pathetic script to memorize so people feel bad for you and subscribe. They have pretty terrible reputation and they send you on your own with a partner to a lousy neighborhood and don't pick you up till 3-4 hours later. Their commission pay is less than promised and you barely get any, when I quit they never paid me back and blocked my number. You can't get paid unless you make a TD account. Their drivers are inexperienced and once they even had a car accident that was the driver's fault. On weekends they force you to work for 7 hours before giving you your promised meal. You're lucky if they give you a water bottle and they once offered me drugs while tired so I can focus on work.
Pros
Free water
Cons
everything about them
Provided free lunches on special occtions
Lead Recruiter/Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 June 2016
The special part working for the Toronto Star was that it was part of a team. It could be a group of 2 or a group of 20 co-workers. Majority of the time when you work as a team it is helpful and at the same time fun. Working with co-worker and management for years they become like a second family. We help and take care of each other. The work was hard at times, there was a lot of heavy lifting. Your co-workers were there to help out and so it became enjoyable. Management would always remark of the great hard work that is done on time no matter how much pressure we were in.
Pros
Management very understqanding with the physical work required
Cons
N/A

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TORONTO STAR. Our community is ready to answer.