Toronto Public Library Employee Reviews

Good Bad and Ugly
Shipping/Receiving Clerk, Driver, Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 October 2016
Somewhat stable with a pension even for part-timers, but you will need to be there a long time (10+years) before you really start to feel any sort of stability and regular hours.

A somewhat toxic culture with a lot of backstabbing.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Iregular shifts
Productive and fun place to work at.
Page (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2016
A typical day at work would be shelving books, magazines, CDs' and DVDs' in alphabetical and numerical order. Occasionally I would work on a project given by the supervisor for the summer programs hosted in the library. Great environment and people to work amongst!
Great Environment for activities and teamwork
Youth Advisor and Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 July 2016
It was a very enjoyable experience working as a Youth advisor in the York Woods branch of TPL. Everything from interacting with the children to working alongside the fantastic team members I had made this volunteer experience a great incentive to pursue a job.
Pros
Activites, Enjoyable Creative Planning
Cons
None that I recall
committed to fostering a positive and progressive workplace culture
Human Resources Diversity Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 June 2016
committed to fostering a positive and progressive workplace culture
fosters a corporate culture that sets the highest standard of integrity, professionalism and ethical behaviour.
Productive, Excellent team work
Assisting Customer Service and Administrative Work (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2016
We have a very good team here. Our main job is customer Service and we are organized. I do assist with customer handling, Office supply and delivery. Some of my responsibilities are shelving books, assisting with community programs; such as book club, mom and kids events.
Pros
We help each other
Cons
short hours
productive and good working environment
PAGE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 March 2016
I appreciate the environment that the Toronto Public library has set up, not only for me but for others. It has set me on a path that has aided me in improving my interpersonal skills and customer service experience.
Pros
friendly environment to work with
Cons
few hours
Volunteer
Volunteer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 February 2016
I have kept this position for years as I enjoy the feeling of giving back to my community. While I am gaining valuable skills and experience, I am also gaining a sense of pride.
A great place with useful opportunities and skills.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2015
This program happens every other Saturday for one hour. It gives opportunities for the future by teaching us what is required for school and work. For example for school, students who are going to post secondary we are taught how to save money and what to reduce in order to save money. Also taught about the different saving programs such as the RESP. For work related this program gives workshops for job interviews and how to make resumes or cover letter and such.
fun workplace
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 December 2015
a typical day would be to check in myself in go the desk and sit on the check in/check out computer for a while then arrange the books and after that i might help kids and at the end i would clean the tables a
Productive and eduactional
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Jane and Sheppard6 December 2015
Every staff is supportive and wants each members to learn. Coming in each time and getting to learn new things, creating events, and learn to handle young children.
Rewarding, fun and fast paced working environment
Page (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2014
I thoroughly enjoy my job. It's fast paced and I'm constantly learning new things and improving my knowledge and skills. I have the chance to communicate with people on a daily basis.My co-workers are hardworking, kind and generous in their support and sharing of knowledge. The most enjoyable part of my job is being close to books and assisting the patrons.The hardest part of the job is when the day is done as I'm having such a great time there. I've learned that being flexible and working together as a team, makes everything easier and more effective for all concerned; for the team and for the patrons.
Pros
Plenty of opportunity to learn
very friendly working environment
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto10 March 2013
I've been working at the Toronto Public Library since I was 14 years old. The staff there became my family and I truly enjoy working there. My coworkers are all wonderful and it's great to have people from different backgrounds, culture to work with, they share the most amazing stories.

My main responsibilities include shelving books,magazines and CDs. I learned great organizational and communication skills from working at the library. Working from a young age taught me wealth management skills and interpersonal skills.
Productivie fun Workplace, encorages to learn different things ex. literature or communtiy volunteer programs
Page (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2013
A typical day consist of task done within an hour, if it is to difficult you can ask to extend the time or decrease the load. I've learned to work with different personalities and cope. Management is good. Co workers are of different backgrounds and age, and education. The hardest part is not getting bored especially if you are working by yourself. The most enjoyable part is having the people there to work with and converse.
Pros
Seniorty
Cons
Not enough power from the union
Productive and learn customerservice skills
Page and Public Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2013
Enjoy the working as a team. work very close to management as a Administrative assistant to the cosmetic department. Organized year end events. Still get together with co-workers.Long hours are the most productive since when there are no phone calls you can focus more on your job.
Pros
Developed the love of taking care of administrative work anjoy the planing and organizing.
Cons
Short time of work experience
Great community experience
volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON 9 May 2013
For a six month period at the Maria A. Shchuka location, paired with a student, as a tutor, I teach her basic sight and emergency words, math skills, as well as reading and writing. I give weekly homework, and use various methods to make teaching simple, as well as comfortable. Because illiteracy is a very delicate and personal issue, I put a lot of effort into making the lesson a safe environment, where the student feels free to discuss anything she wishes. She usually brings mail and forms that we read and fill together. This is an experience that has fulfilled me in some ways. In the future, I plan to volunteer at the library for the other programs that they offer if time and circumstances work on my favor
Pros
tokens
Awesome
Page (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 January 2013
I go to work on the same days every week. I would go in and check the schedule to see what I am doing for the day. Usually, they are the same tasks. I do not learn or experience much at the library as I do tasks anybody can do, with little to no skill. However, frequently, I would have to answer directional questions from patrons. Most of the co-workers are friendly, but some do not greet you. For the most part, everybody has a smile to their faces! The hardest part of the job is doing the same thing over and over again. Shelving, Shelving, Shelving. Although in the job description, I hoped to have had some freedom in choice when it comes to some things. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the little kids after school is over.
Pros
constant work hours per week, does not interfere with day-to-day life
Cons
restricted to many things, not enough freedom to make own choices
It was both enjoyable and a learning experience. The overall rating would be an A.
Human Resources Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2012
A typical day at work begins around the coffee pot,everyone discussing what the day will bring,Everyone hoping today will go smooth and all are ready to get the day started. We talk about what each did or what we'll do after the shift ends,especially when it comes to the long weekend or any vacation for that matter. I enjoy my day very much ,people take the time to see if you need anything or if you want anything if your too busy to get it yourself. And you can always have a laugh or two.
The people are very friendly,especially the co-workers,they will go oout of their way to see that the job gets done.
Of course the most enjoyable part of the day is the end but all said and done it was a fabulous place to work.
Pros
always have free candy and great people to help.
Cons
the job was co-op so it was only for four months.
family-like environment, very fun
Youth advisory group (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2013
While volunteering here there was always something new whether it be hosting puppet shows for children or just bakesales. The best part of my volunteering experience was meeting new people and building a family amoung them.
Library Job
Page (Current Employee) –  Goldhawk Park Public Library23 February 2014
This is my first ever job. I've learned a lot polishing my communication, organizational and time management skills which is fundamental for any employee to have. I wish to use these skills to be employed at a summer job or summer internship this year.
Productive and enjoy the people interaction
LIBRARIAN (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2014
Sharing the resources
Directing customers for correct information
Supervising the staff
Managing the operation day to day at the library
Pros
New books
Cons
Reapetition of work

4.6