Toronto Public Library Employee Reviews

fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 August 2017
Great!. Get to work with kids and teach them how to read. IT is a great experience , and the coordinators are amazing. It is a pleasure to work there.
Repetitive Work, but better then average pay
Page (Former Employee) –  Toronto25 July 2017
Working in the children's section is the worst because shelving children's books is a nightmare

You learn organization skills and time management skills

Difficult to advance in the job due to seniority but pay raise every year, plus always above minimum wage. But also stable job, very unlikely to be fired.

Quality of Management depends on location, but librarians are nice people.
Pros
Consistent work
Cons
Can be hard on the back
'twas fine
Activity Facilitator, Activities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2017
pretty chill, you play games with kids and supervise arts and craft and come up with ways to get them interested, no food tho, but people are nice and stuff
Fun & Educational
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2017
Volunteering at the TBL, was very fun. You get to meet new people, and some of them even became my friends. Very positive environment. Brings the community closer together.
Pros
Meet new people.
Cons
It can get a little boring sometimes.
Very enjoyable
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2017
Very Enjoyable location to volunteer in. Lots of new faces to meet and greet and filled with people who care about your well being, love to see you smile.
Pros
Friendly people
Great place to learn
Literacy Tutor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 February 2017
Great people, good atmosphere, good place to develop skills and learn new things. Great place to volunteer and meet new people and learn.
Pros
great place to learn
Cons
not easy to get in as an employee
Productive and fun workplace.
Page (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2016
A typical day at work would be shelving books, magazines, CDs' and DVDs' in alphabetical and numerical order. Occasionally I would work on a project given by the supervisor for the summer programs hosted in the library. Great environment and people to work amongst!
Pros
Calm atmoshpere
Cons
Occasional impolite customers
Productive and fun place to work at.
Page (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2016
Good Bad and Ugly
Shipping/Receiving Clerk, Driver, Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 October 2016
Somewhat stable with a pension even for part-timers, but you will need to be there a long time (10+years) before you really start to feel any sort of stability and regular hours.

A somewhat toxic culture with a lot of backstabbing.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Iregular shifts
Great Environment for activities and teamwork
Youth Advisor and Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 July 2016
It was a very enjoyable experience working as a Youth advisor in the York Woods branch of TPL. Everything from interacting with the children to working alongside the fantastic team members I had made this volunteer experience a great incentive to pursue a job.
Pros
Activites, Enjoyable Creative Planning
Cons
None that I recall
committed to fostering a positive and progressive workplace culture
Human Resources Diversity Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 June 2016
committed to fostering a positive and progressive workplace culture
fosters a corporate culture that sets the highest standard of integrity, professionalism and ethical behaviour.
Productive, Excellent team work
Assisting Customer Service and Administrative Work (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2016
We have a very good team here. Our main job is customer Service and we are organized. I do assist with customer handling, Office supply and delivery. Some of my responsibilities are shelving books, assisting with community programs; such as book club, mom and kids events.
Pros
We help each other
Cons
short hours
productive and good working environment
PAGE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 March 2016
I appreciate the environment that the Toronto Public library has set up, not only for me but for others. It has set me on a path that has aided me in improving my interpersonal skills and customer service experience.
Pros
friendly environment to work with
Cons
few hours
Volunteer
Volunteer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 February 2016
I have kept this position for years as I enjoy the feeling of giving back to my community. While I am gaining valuable skills and experience, I am also gaining a sense of pride.
fun workplace
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 December 2015
a typical day would be to check in myself in go the desk and sit on the check in/check out computer for a while then arrange the books and after that i might help kids and at the end i would clean the tables a
Productive and eduactional
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Jane and Sheppard6 December 2015
Every staff is supportive and wants each members to learn. Coming in each time and getting to learn new things, creating events, and learn to handle young children.
A great place with useful opportunities and skills.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2015
This program happens every other Saturday for one hour. It gives opportunities for the future by teaching us what is required for school and work. For example for school, students who are going to post secondary we are taught how to save money and what to reduce in order to save money. Also taught about the different saving programs such as the RESP. For work related this program gives workshops for job interviews and how to make resumes or cover letter and such.
Rewarding, fun and fast paced working environment
Page (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2014
I thoroughly enjoy my job. It's fast paced and I'm constantly learning new things and improving my knowledge and skills. I have the chance to communicate with people on a daily basis.My co-workers are hardworking, kind and generous in their support and sharing of knowledge. The most enjoyable part of my job is being close to books and assisting the patrons.The hardest part of the job is when the day is done as I'm having such a great time there. I've learned that being flexible and working together as a team, makes everything easier and more effective for all concerned; for the team and for the patrons.
Pros
Plenty of opportunity to learn
Productive and enjoy the people interaction
LIBRARIAN (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2014
Sharing the resources
Directing customers for correct information
Supervising the staff
Managing the operation day to day at the library
Pros
New books
Cons
Reapetition of work
Library Job
Page (Current Employee) –  Goldhawk Park Public Library23 February 2014
This is my first ever job. I've learned a lot polishing my communication, organizational and time management skills which is fundamental for any employee to have. I wish to use these skills to be employed at a summer job or summer internship this year.