Toronto Public Library Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
productive and good working environment
PAGE (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 11, 2016
Pros: friendly environment to work with
Cons: few hours
I appreciate the environment that the Toronto Public library has set up, not only for me but for others. It has set me on a path that has aided me in improving my interpersonal skills and customer service experience.
Volunteer
Volunteer Tutor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 20, 2016
I have kept this position for years as I enjoy the feeling of giving back to my community. While I am gaining valuable skills and experience, I am also gaining a sense of pride.
fun workplace
Library Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 18, 2015
a typical day would be to check in myself in go the desk and sit on the check in/check out computer for a while then arrange the books and after that i might help kids and at the end i would clean the tables a
Productive and eduactional
Volunteer (Former Employee), Jane and SheppardDecember 6, 2015
Every staff is supportive and wants each members to learn. Coming in each time and getting to learn new things, creating events, and learn to handle young children.
A great place with useful opportunities and skills.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 4, 2015
This program happens every other Saturday for one hour. It gives opportunities for the future by teaching us what is required for school and work. For example for school, students who are going to post secondary we are taught how to save money and what to reduce in order to save money. Also taught about the different saving programs such as the RESP. For work related this program gives workshops for job interviews and how to make resumes or cover letter and such.
Rewarding, fun and fast paced working environment
Page (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 7, 2014
Pros: plenty of opportunity to learn
I thoroughly enjoy my job. It's fast paced and I'm constantly learning new things and improving my knowledge and skills. I have the chance to communicate with people on a daily basis.My co-workers are hardworking, kind and generous in their support and sharing of knowledge. The most enjoyable part of my job is being close to books and assisting the patrons.The hardest part of the job is when the day is done as I'm having such a great time there. I've learned that being flexible and working together as a team, makes everything easier and more effective for all concerned; for the team and for the patrons.
Productive and enjoy the people interaction
LIBRARIAN (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: new books
Cons: reapetition of work
Sharing the resources
Directing customers for correct information
Supervising the staff
Managing the operation day to day at the library
Library Job
Page (Current Employee), Goldhawk Park Public LibraryFebruary 23, 2014
This is my first ever job. I've learned a lot polishing my communication, organizational and time management skills which is fundamental for any employee to have. I wish to use these skills to be employed at a summer job or summer internship this year.
Very rewarding
Volunteer Tutor (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONSeptember 24, 2013
Great experience teaching children in need; gratifying experience.
Productive and learn customerservice skills
Page and Public Service Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2013
Pros: developed the love of taking care of administrative work anjoy the planing and organizing.
Cons: short time of work experience
Enjoy the working as a team. work very close to management as a Administrative assistant to the cosmetic department. Organized year end events. Still get together with co-workers.Long hours are the most productive since when there are no phone calls you can focus more on your job.
Productivie fun Workplace, encorages to learn different things ex. literature or communtiy volunteer programs
Page (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 22, 2013
Pros: seniorty
Cons: not enough power from the union
A typical day consist of task done within an hour, if it is to difficult you can ask to extend the time or decrease the load. I've learned to work with different personalities and cope. Management is good. Co workers are of different backgrounds and age, and education. The hardest part is not getting bored especially if you are working by yourself. The most enjoyable part is having the people there to work with and converse.
Great community experience
volunteer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 9, 2013
Pros: tokens
For a six month period at the Maria A. Shchuka location, paired with a student, as a tutor, I teach her basic sight and emergency words, math skills, as well as reading and writing. I give weekly homework, and use various methods to make teaching simple, as well as comfortable. Because illiteracy is a very delicate and personal issue, I put a lot of effort into making the lesson a safe environment, where the student feels free to discuss anything she wishes. She usually brings mail and forms that we read and fill together. This is an experience that has fulfilled me in some ways. In the future, I plan to volunteer at the library for the other programs that they offer if time and circumstances work on my favor
friendly,relaxing environment
Library Assistant (Current Employee), TorontoMarch 10, 2013
I like to work there as a part time employee because of the relaxing environment.
very friendly working environment
Library Assistant (Current Employee), TorontoMarch 10, 2013
I've been working at the Toronto Public Library since I was 14 years old. The staff there became my family and I truly enjoy working there. My coworkers are all wonderful and it's great to have people from different backgrounds, culture to work with, they share the most amazing stories.

My main responsibilities include shelving books,magazines and CDs. I learned great organizational and communication skills from working at the library. Working from a young age taught me wealth management skills and interpersonal skills.
family-like environment, very fun
Youth advisory group (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 25, 2013
While volunteering here there was always something new whether it be hosting puppet shows for children or just bakesales. The best part of my volunteering experience was meeting new people and building a family amoung them.
Awesome
Page (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: constant work hours per week, does not interfere with day-to-day life
Cons: restricted to many things, not enough freedom to make own choices
I go to work on the same days every week. I would go in and check the schedule to see what I am doing for the day. Usually, they are the same tasks. I do not learn or experience much at the library as I do tasks anybody can do, with little to no skill. However, frequently, I would have to answer directional questions from patrons. Most of the co-workers are friendly, but some do not greet you. For the most part, everybody has a smile to their faces! The hardest part of the job is doing the same thing over and over again. Shelving, Shelving, Shelving. Although in the job description, I hoped to have had some freedom in choice when it comes to some things. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the little kids after school is over.
productive & Effeciency
Page (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONAugust 1, 2012
Pros: free lunch
Cons: no, no long hours cant pay me enough for that. :)
Respectful, cheerful, effecient, organized, friendly, smiling, want to enjoy and looking forward going to work..
It was both enjoyable and a learning experience. The overall rating would be an A.
Human Resources Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 21, 2012
Pros: always have free candy and great people to help.
Cons: the job was co-op so it was only for four months.
A typical day at work begins around the coffee pot,everyone discussing what the day will bring,Everyone hoping today will go smooth and all are ready to get the day started. We talk about what each did or what we'll do after the shift ends,especially when it comes to the long weekend or any vacation for that matter. I enjoy my day very much ,people take the time to see if you need anything or if you want anything if your too busy to get it yourself. And you can always have a laugh or two.
The people are very friendly,especially the co-workers,they will go oout of their way to see that the job gets done.
Of course the most enjoyable part of the day is the end but all said and done it was a fabulous place to work.