Toronto Hydro Employee Reviews

exellent place to work
Troubleman powerlineman, relief supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 22, 2015
loved working their, the people and,the wages,and the benefits!! Great training and very safe place to work.There was alot of variety at my job and everyone worked together as a exellent team!!
Pros
6 weeks holidays and many stat holidays!!
Cons
the continental shifts
A terrific workplace with employees that make you feel welcomed
Legal Administrator/Temporary Real Property Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 14, 2016
I engaged in various projects, assisting both lawyers and engineers. A big portion of my job consisted of Real Property work, making sure we met certain deadlines :(ie. unregistered easement requests). Though initially I started off doing administration, throughout my two contracts at Toronto Hydro, I received quite a bit of exposure to a corporate legal setting and all that it entailed. From attending hearings and conferences at the Ontario Energy Board, to listening in on educational seminars among economists, lawyers and engineers I managed to develop many great skills. The experience truly made me want to pursue a career in law.
Pros
Located right next to the subway station
Cons
Short Staffed
Great pay. Terrible workplace.
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2016
There is a constant turnover in the department.
A lot of reliance on external contractors.
Only recently the focus has started shifting towards building their own skillset.
Work/life balance is almost non-existent.
Great employees
IT Technical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Made some great contacts, there are some excellent employees below management level.

Unionized environment.
Project work can be overshadowed by operations.
Productive and interesting place to work
Graphic Designer and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 14, 2015
Create and developed marketing material such as: posters, brochures, the internal magazine for employee and executives, working in conjunction with marketing specialist, marketing manager.
Underground Cable Splicer
Certified Power Cable Person (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Maintain and construct underground distribution in the city of Toronto... Fault locate, switching of feeders or power lines.. Work on voltages from 120v to 27.6kv.
Poor management
Voice Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 14, 2015
Typical day at work are very stressful.
Upper management not fully aware what is happening people work below them.
Staffs are poorly managed, no respect for working long hours.
Great co-workers
Management makes quick decision without knowing the impact
Pros
Great place to work under union
Cons
Very stressful place to work for management staff
Great company to work for
Senior Technical Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 16, 2013
The job is easy, the people are friendly, management is good. The hours are consistent, and the compensation is good.
Pros
great working environment, great people, good compensation
Cons
politics
Fun work place environment
Technical Design Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 4, 2015
Colleague and management a knowledgeable and approachable. They are eager to teach and watch you grow an thrive. Co-workers mentored you when projects came up that were unconventional.
I suggest individuals to experience this company
Internship Project (Former Employee) –  ResearcherAugust 27, 2015
I suggest individuals to experience this company because of their good infrastructures and management skills. they are playing important role in management of the smart grid network and demand management system matched with smart grid facilities.
Interesting Place to Work
Program Management Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 17, 2015
Plenty of opportunity for the young professional to grow as a professional in their field, Diverse culture. Many interesting people.
Pros
Pay
Cons
limited opportunities for advancement for long term employees
Good company to work for
desktop support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 2, 2015
Good company to work for, my contract ended. Good working conditions. employees were a pleasure to serve and resolve issues
n/a
A/R and Billing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONOctober 25, 2015
Rigorous training process for new hires, so that the clients are always satisfied. Client servicing and education about the hydro related rules and policy, was a major focus.
Its Productive
Technical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONSeptember 27, 2015
It is a good company and the people there are really helpful and supportive. work environment is slow paced though at times.
Excellent work environment
Electrical Engineering Coop (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONApril 26, 2013
Assisted designers and linesmen with design, calculations and cost estimates for overhead and underground electrical distribution within the Toronto downtown core area. Prepared electrical and civil drawings involving proposed duct work, cable chambers, overhead to underground transitions, feeder-prints, and various installations/removals such as current and power transformers, circuit breakers and pole disconnects. Consulted and communicated with contractors, customers, departments and other parties involved in the planning and execution of projects. Management was amazing and organized and co-workers were always friendly and co-operative; willing to help if you had any questions. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the project within its construction phase.
Pros
free lunch and learn
Friendly Staff
CO-OP, Four Month Term (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2015
Typical day of work was safe and exciting. Staff are always smiling and share their positive attitudes. Hardest part of the job is definitely the Toronto Traffic.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Traffic
Would NOT recommend working for this organization
Communications Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 4, 2014
I was very excited to work at this organization and underwent an extremely vigorous hiring process to get the position only to find out that new ideas or innovations are not welcomed.

Toxic work environment where middle management is complacent and resistant to any change as they wait out their retirement and subsequent pension.

Extremely out of touch of what young professionals TODAY are looking for in a work environment.
The Solution
Electrical Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2012
Where to start, from working independent to being on a team to training others. There was always a place for me. I was always challenged and continued to learn new things. The team environment and structure were always the key to a successful project. Planning project well in advance always allowed each team member to voice their opinions on achieving a safe and fictional outcome.

I've learned that a work to life balance is the key to a successful team. Without challenges there will never be achievements. With out achievements there will never be victories. We weren't just winning our ideas we were giving back to the community. The key was being able to provide to many with just a few simple changes in everyone's lives.

The hardest part of the job was knowing that it was only a co-op term and that it would be difficult getting back in without having a family member on the team.
Pros
work environment + challenging
Cons
it was a co-op
The work was steady
Apprentice lineman and cable splicer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2014
The work was steady. During my 14 years there, I had a verity of jobs. My favorite job was that of a laborer simply because every day was a new day and everyday brought a new challenge and no two days were the same. One day we would be caulking a vault and the next day we would build a cable manhole and the nest we would be looking for burnt underground street lighting wires. I worked with one Forman every day for 7 years and we became best friends. He taught me how to skillfully operate a verity of hand tools and machines, think five steps a head and what real team work was all about.
Pros
challanging work. working with great men
Cons
there were no cons
Professional and fast paced environment where multi tasking is important
Customer Service/Admin (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 8, 2013
A call centre environment where I was required to answer inbound calls from Toronto Hydro customers and ensure customer satisfaction. Also, a place where I was able to improve in being able to multi task during my role in the administration department. The hardest part was dealing with customers escalated issues and ensuring they were satisfied by the end of the call. I enjoyed learning continuously.
Pros
given the opportunity to experience different roles and duties.
Cons
many customers having their toronto hydro disconnected for non payment.

4.3