Toronto District School Board Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Good salary, but that's all
Job Developer/Recruiter/Business Developer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 23, 2016
Pros: Salary
Cons: Old Business Culture
TDSB pays a good salary. You can't complain about that, but the unionized environment is perfect to lazy workers and a bunch of old mind set people that are not willing to do anything innovative in order to increase performance.
Flexible organisation, with growing dynamic staff
Elementary School Teacher (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 19, 2016
Pros: Work with kids
A typical day was never the same. I continue to grown daily as a teacher, facilitator and team player. I have learned to be patient and committed. The most enjoyable part is the personal insights learnt from the students.
Volunteering With TDSB
Volunteer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 18, 2016
Working with the teachers and students at the school has helped me develop the many skill I need in a workplace. I may have not got paid but I worked hard and gained experience.
Very Political
Student Equity Program Advisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 16, 2016
Pros: working for the TDSB, job security, annual schedule and salery
Cons: Poorly organized, very political and bureaucratic
This job was obviously not for me but might be a great fit for someone else. If you have worked in a highly politicized bureaucratic, unionized environment before or are interested in doing so this will be a good opportunity for you. I am a practical individual and this was not a valued attribute in this position.
Fun productive place to work at
Cleaner (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 31, 2016
Everyone here was super friendly. The work environment was amazing and the bosses were very professional and respectful. This was a great place to work at
ok
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: hours
Cons: not valued as an ECE in the classroom
You work 6 hours a day. so the hours are good. but a lot of time ECE are not respected in the school board. I have been to 3 different schools and I felt like this in all of them. Hopeful Teachers and Principals will be train on how play base curriculum work and how to treat ECE's. We are very valuable and an important part of the Kindergarten Program. It is about team work:)
Tdsb
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2015
Pros: two months off in the summer.
Cons: none
great organization to work for. The staff team are excellent and the two months vacation in the summer is an added benefit for working in a school.
Fun place with all exercise equipments....
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 28, 2015
Pros: $30/hour
Cons: No regular hours or fixed income, travel time isn't cover and no benefits as part time instructor
Teach a class then leave for the next, I have enjoyed teaching for the TDSB but I was sent to an 1.5 each way to the location. Haven't dealt with management. No co-workers.

Training and teaching more than 12 classes a week takes a toll on the body and participants expect the instructor to do all the work.

The love and respect from most participants
Excellent
Occasional Teacher (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 16, 2015
Pros: Strong emphasis on diversity, equity.
Cons: none
The TDSB is a very equitable, dynamic employer that makes the needs and safety of all students top priority. As an occasional teacher who regularly works at different schools, I teach in a variety of classrooms ranging from JK to grade 8. As such, I am always learning new and effective teaching strategies. Frequent interaction between myself, new students, staff and administrators greatly promotes my professional development. When I first started working as an occasional teacher five years ago, it was sometimes challenging to adjust to unfamiliar schools and classrooms. However, I am very good at adapting to new teaching situations, as I am very flexible, friendly and personable. As a TDSB occasional teacher, every day is an exciting and fulfilling new adventure. I always endeavour to create a safe and fair classroom environment for the students where learning is interesting and fun.
Great Job which I loved
Teacher (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONNovember 16, 2015
Pros: Working in trusting relationships with kids
Cons: My shortcomings in not reaching out to all fellow teachers.
The typical day started at about 8am with my arrival at school. I would open my day book and review the lesson I had planned at home or before leaving school the day before. I would go to the office and pick up my mail and attendance sheets. I would open the classroom 15 minutes before class started. I would teach nearly the whole 75 min period stopping only for group activities and guided practice. I would never mark in class since the kids usually needed guidance and help.

Teaching taught me to be a lifelong learner and I generally liked most of my bosses and co-workers. I now know that the hardest part of my job went neglected, namely co-worker relationships. By working too hard for the classroom (kids) I alienated some of my co-workers.
I now know that the trust I build with kids I should have built with all fellow teachers.

The most enjoyable part of my life in teaching is the ongoing knowledge recognition and remediation of my mistakes has made me a better person both at home and at work.
Employer
Intensive Support Program Autism Teacher (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 15, 2015
This is the largest school board in Canada and has approximately 460 schools within it. It has over 40 000 employees and is home to a very diverse and multicultural students population.
Excellent Experience
Assistant Area Supervisor (Current Employee), 2 Trethewey DriveOctober 26, 2015
Working for the TDSB showed me the differences between the corporate work culture and that of public institutions which I feel is quite important for a member of the job market to know.
Great place to work in. Diverse staff and students. Each school has a different personality.
Occasional Teacher (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONOctober 21, 2015
Pros: Great work atmosphere.
Cons: No job openings for a permanent contract position.
TDSB is a great place to work in with a diverse array of staff and students. Each school has a personality of its own, and the staff are very supportive and helpful. The hardest part of the job is getting to know different types of students with so many different needs and personal challenges. Overcoming this hurdle and gaining their confidence and trust is the most rewarding part of this job.
Satisfactory
International Languages Instructor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 20, 2015
Working as an International Languages Instructor for the Toronto District School Board (TDSB) was an interesting experience. I worked with children from kindergarten to grade 8 teaching basic Kiswahili and African culture and history. This included the history of Africans from the continent and of the Diaspora.

My classes were interactive, innovative and fun. My lessons included art, storytelling, songs, dance, drumming etc.,

When the hours of the program were drastically reduced (lack of funding) making it difficult to earn a decent wage I resigned.
Good Staff
Occasional Teacher (Current Employee), TorontoOctober 19, 2015
Staff are very helpful to new staff members. The day is well organized and every day is new and exciting.The best part of the job is seeing students learn something new and relate it to their lives.
Normal workplace with few people to talk to
Bus Monitor (Former Employee), Nelson Mandela Park Public SchoolSeptember 15, 2015
Pros: You get some free time to relax
Cons: Having to take care of so many children at once
You will learn to be more responsible with everything that you are in charge of. The management are very friendly people. The hardest part of the job is to carry all the bins of food up and down the stairs and hallways.
My time with TDSB was fullfilling with the students, however the administration politics were bad
Teacher, Subjects (Former Employee), Scarborough ONSeptember 14, 2015
I worked for TDSB for over twenty years. The Education system does not line up with what the students of industry need.
I retired from the system under duress and continue to try to change the system for the benefit of the country.
I continue to work at my professions and keep developing environmental products.
Awesome and stable company
Educational Assistant (Current Employee), Drewry Secondary SchoolSeptember 8, 2015
Amazing and stable company. They support their support staff in many positive ways. I work with special needs children that require transfers and physiotherapy.
Network, System Analyst
Network Analyst, System Analyst (Former Employee), TDSB, TorontoSeptember 5, 2015
Pros: variety of individual and group ptojects
Cons: none that I can think of
Worked on the project committee for developing the TDSB data center plans.

Within the data center, I provide technical analysis of networks and services.
Everyday is a different day
Office Administrator (Current Employee), TorontoSeptember 4, 2015
Pros: Variety
Cons: Pay scale is set in stone
Every day is started with a plan - then that plan is thrown out the window as soon as people start walking into the building. I love variety and spontaneity. So, it works for me. Trying to get things completed on deadline can be demanding with all the interruptions, but being able to be part of, and possibly make a difference in someone's life is immeasurable.