Toronto District School Board Employee Reviews in Canada

Somewhat learned about servers
Co-op student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 9, 2016
My supervisors were very polite and respectful, however most of the time when I was given work to do, I had no idea what I was doing, I was only told to do follow what the supervisor does. I was taught some of the software that is used, but I did not know what its purpose was.
A school board that can use some improvment
Workshop Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 11, 2016
A typical day at work was vigorous. I learned the importance of using the proper vernacular to the correct audience. Management could have been a little more organized. My co-workers were very welcoming. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with unexpected strikes. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to execute my duties within a creative environment.
Excellent
Student Field Placement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 25, 2016
I did my field placement in this facility. It was an absolute pleasure. The young men and ladies that attended this facility were always a pleasure to work with. Staff were very friendly and welcoming and everyone was treated as equals. If I could afford to volunteer rather than work, I doubt I would have ever left there.
Great place to work at.
Occasional Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 11, 2016
Supervise students and carry out daily scheduled teaching plans set by absent classroom teacher.

Ensure students' safety throughout the day. Facilitate classroom discussions and provide a safe learning environment.
Very productive workplace. Great results
Instructor (Essential Skills Upgrading) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 8, 2016
I enjoyed working at this institution. It was a great opportunity to have worked with the students and to help them accomplish their goals. Opportunity to enhance educational skills if interested.
good place to work for
Health & Safety Rep (Former Employee) –  torontoApril 27, 2016
good place to work for security & benefits good pension plans upon retirement

good medical coverage & other benefits

good pension plan omers
job security
Good salary, but that's all
Job Developer/Recruiter/Business Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 23, 2016
TDSB pays a good salary. You can't complain about that, but the unionized environment is perfect to lazy workers and a bunch of old mind set people that are not willing to do anything innovative in order to increase performance.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Old Business Culture
Flexible organisation, with growing dynamic staff
Elementary School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 19, 2016
A typical day was never the same. I continue to grown daily as a teacher, facilitator and team player. I have learned to be patient and committed. The most enjoyable part is the personal insights learnt from the students.
Pros
Work with kids
Volunteering With TDSB
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 18, 2016
Working with the teachers and students at the school has helped me develop the many skill I need in a workplace. I may have not got paid but I worked hard and gained experience.
Very Political
Student Equity Program Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 16, 2016
This job was obviously not for me but might be a great fit for someone else. If you have worked in a highly politicized bureaucratic, unionized environment before or are interested in doing so this will be a good opportunity for you. I am a practical individual and this was not a valued attribute in this position.
Pros
working for the TDSB, job security, annual schedule and salery
Cons
Poorly organized, very political and bureaucratic
Fun productive place to work at
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 31, 2016
Everyone here was super friendly. The work environment was amazing and the bosses were very professional and respectful. This was a great place to work at
ok
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
You work 6 hours a day. so the hours are good. but a lot of time ECE are not respected in the school board. I have been to 3 different schools and I felt like this in all of them. Hopeful Teachers and Principals will be train on how play base curriculum work and how to treat ECE's. We are very valuable and an important part of the Kindergarten Program. It is about team work:)
Pros
hours
Cons
not valued as an ECE in the classroom
Tdsb
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2015
great organization to work for. The staff team are excellent and the two months vacation in the summer is an added benefit for working in a school.
Pros
two months off in the summer.
Cons
Fun place with all exercise equipments....
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 28, 2015
Teach a class then leave for the next, I have enjoyed teaching for the TDSB but I was sent to an 1.5 each way to the location. Haven't dealt with management. No co-workers.

Training and teaching more than 12 classes a week takes a toll on the body and participants expect the instructor to do all the work.

The love and respect from most participants
Pros
$30/hour
Cons
No regular hours or fixed income, travel time isn't cover and no benefits as part time instructor
Excellent
Occasional Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 16, 2015
The TDSB is a very equitable, dynamic employer that makes the needs and safety of all students top priority. As an occasional teacher who regularly works at different schools, I teach in a variety of classrooms ranging from JK to grade 8. As such, I am always learning new and effective teaching strategies. Frequent interaction between myself, new students, staff and administrators greatly promotes my professional development. When I first started working as an occasional teacher five years ago, it was sometimes challenging to adjust to unfamiliar schools and classrooms. However, I am very good at adapting to new teaching situations, as I am very flexible, friendly and personable. As a TDSB occasional teacher, every day is an exciting and fulfilling new adventure. I always endeavour to create a safe and fair classroom environment for the students where learning is interesting and fun.
Pros
Strong emphasis on diversity, equity.
Great Job which I loved
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONNovember 16, 2015
The typical day started at about 8am with my arrival at school. I would open my day book and review the lesson I had planned at home or before leaving school the day before. I would go to the office and pick up my mail and attendance sheets. I would open the classroom 15 minutes before class started. I would teach nearly the whole 75 min period stopping only for group activities and guided practice. I would never mark in class since the kids usually needed guidance and help.

Teaching taught me to be a lifelong learner and I generally liked most of my bosses and co-workers. I now know that the hardest part of my job went neglected, namely co-worker relationships. By working too hard for the classroom (kids) I alienated some of my co-workers.
I now know that the trust I build with kids I should have built with all fellow teachers.

The most enjoyable part of my life in teaching is the ongoing knowledge recognition and remediation of my mistakes has made me a better person both at home and at work.
Pros
Working in trusting relationships with kids
Cons
My shortcomings in not reaching out to all fellow teachers.
Employer
Intensive Support Program Autism Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 15, 2015
This is the largest school board in Canada and has approximately 460 schools within it. It has over 40 000 employees and is home to a very diverse and multicultural students population.
Excellent Experience
Assistant Area Supervisor (Current Employee) –  2 Trethewey DriveOctober 26, 2015
Working for the TDSB showed me the differences between the corporate work culture and that of public institutions which I feel is quite important for a member of the job market to know.
Great place to work in. Diverse staff and students. Each school has a different personality.
Occasional Teacher (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONOctober 21, 2015
TDSB is a great place to work in with a diverse array of staff and students. Each school has a personality of its own, and the staff are very supportive and helpful. The hardest part of the job is getting to know different types of students with so many different needs and personal challenges. Overcoming this hurdle and gaining their confidence and trust is the most rewarding part of this job.
Pros
Great work atmosphere.
Cons
No job openings for a permanent contract position.
Satisfactory
International Languages Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 20, 2015
Working as an International Languages Instructor for the Toronto District School Board (TDSB) was an interesting experience. I worked with children from kindergarten to grade 8 teaching basic Kiswahili and African culture and history. This included the history of Africans from the continent and of the Diaspora.

My classes were interactive, innovative and fun. My lessons included art, storytelling, songs, dance, drumming etc.,

When the hours of the program were drastically reduced (lack of funding) making it difficult to earn a decent wage I resigned.

4.2