Toronto District School Board

Toronto District School Board Employee Reviews

Very low working hours but good working environment
Lunch Room Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 27, 2016
Other than low hours I'm very happy working in Toronto District School Board, because of
- Friendly working environment with very cooperative co-workers and parents
- Good management.
Pros
Good hourly rate
Cons
Low working hour
Great company
Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2016
Each day I act as if the school I am at is my home. I am passionate in everything I do. Love my co workers. Hardest part of my day is going home.
Pros
great hours
Cons
environment
A place that promotes countined succeess and excellence in education.
International Language Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 18, 2016
My teaching experience at TDSB is very remembered. Teaching students with a diverse background makes my job more interesting. Analyzing their learning styles and habits allows me to make them understand things easier. Working for TSDB is an amazing opportunity.
Very interesting and practical experience working in kindergarten
Permanent ECE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 17, 2016
Excellent company with lots of benefits and resources. Provides ongoing trainings to the staff and support them in new learning.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
number of students in kindergarten program
Satisfying Job Working with Primary Students
Educational Assistant Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 10, 2016
I'm enjoying my time spent with the TDSB. I learn something new every day. I look forward to possible career advancement.
Great team based job with plenty of hands on work.
Part Time Student Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 11, 2016
This job was a great experience it gave me a great understanding of time management skills while working in a team based environment.
Everyday there was usually a pattern of hands on work we had to follow which kept me very busy. The work environment was very enjoyable, and motivating .
Somewhat learned about servers
Co-op student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 9, 2016
My supervisors were very polite and respectful, however most of the time when I was given work to do, I had no idea what I was doing, I was only told to do follow what the supervisor does. I was taught some of the software that is used, but I did not know what its purpose was.
A school board that can use some improvment
Workshop Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 11, 2016
A typical day at work was vigorous. I learned the importance of using the proper vernacular to the correct audience. Management could have been a little more organized. My co-workers were very welcoming. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with unexpected strikes. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to execute my duties within a creative environment.
Excellent
Student Field Placement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 25, 2016
I did my field placement in this facility. It was an absolute pleasure. The young men and ladies that attended this facility were always a pleasure to work with. Staff were very friendly and welcoming and everyone was treated as equals. If I could afford to volunteer rather than work, I doubt I would have ever left there.
Great place to work at.
Occasional Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 11, 2016
Supervise students and carry out daily scheduled teaching plans set by absent classroom teacher.

Ensure students' safety throughout the day. Facilitate classroom discussions and provide a safe learning environment.
Very productive workplace. Great results
Instructor (Essential Skills Upgrading) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 8, 2016
I enjoyed working at this institution. It was a great opportunity to have worked with the students and to help them accomplish their goals. Opportunity to enhance educational skills if interested.
good place to work for
Health & Safety Rep (Former Employee) –  torontoApril 27, 2016
good place to work for security & benefits good pension plans upon retirement

good medical coverage & other benefits

good pension plan omers
job security
Good salary, but that's all
Job Developer/Recruiter/Business Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 23, 2016
TDSB pays a good salary. You can't complain about that, but the unionized environment is perfect to lazy workers and a bunch of old mind set people that are not willing to do anything innovative in order to increase performance.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Old Business Culture
Flexible organisation, with growing dynamic staff
Elementary School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 19, 2016
A typical day was never the same. I continue to grown daily as a teacher, facilitator and team player. I have learned to be patient and committed. The most enjoyable part is the personal insights learnt from the students.
Pros
Work with kids
Volunteering With TDSB
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 18, 2016
Working with the teachers and students at the school has helped me develop the many skill I need in a workplace. I may have not got paid but I worked hard and gained experience.
Very Political
Student Equity Program Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 16, 2016
This job was obviously not for me but might be a great fit for someone else. If you have worked in a highly politicized bureaucratic, unionized environment before or are interested in doing so this will be a good opportunity for you. I am a practical individual and this was not a valued attribute in this position.
Pros
working for the TDSB, job security, annual schedule and salery
Cons
Poorly organized, very political and bureaucratic
Fun productive place to work at
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 31, 2016
Everyone here was super friendly. The work environment was amazing and the bosses were very professional and respectful. This was a great place to work at
ok
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
You work 6 hours a day. so the hours are good. but a lot of time ECE are not respected in the school board. I have been to 3 different schools and I felt like this in all of them. Hopeful Teachers and Principals will be train on how play base curriculum work and how to treat ECE's. We are very valuable and an important part of the Kindergarten Program. It is about team work:)
Pros
hours
Cons
not valued as an ECE in the classroom
Tdsb
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2015
great organization to work for. The staff team are excellent and the two months vacation in the summer is an added benefit for working in a school.
Pros
two months off in the summer.
Cons
Fun place with all exercise equipments....
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 28, 2015
Teach a class then leave for the next, I have enjoyed teaching for the TDSB but I was sent to an 1.5 each way to the location. Haven't dealt with management. No co-workers.

Training and teaching more than 12 classes a week takes a toll on the body and participants expect the instructor to do all the work.

The love and respect from most participants
Pros
$30/hour
Cons
No regular hours or fixed income, travel time isn't cover and no benefits as part time instructor

4.2