Toronto District School Board Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
ok
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: hours
Cons: not valued as an ECE in the classroom
You work 6 hours a day. so the hours are good. but a lot of time ECE are not respected in the school board. I have been to 3 different schools and I felt like this in all of them. Hopeful Teachers and Principals will be train on how play base curriculum work and how to treat ECE's. We are very valuable and an important part of the Kindergarten Program. It is about team work:)
Tdsb
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2015
Pros: two months off in the summer.
Cons: none
great organization to work for. The staff team are excellent and the two months vacation in the summer is an added benefit for working in a school.
Fun place with all exercise equipments....
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 28, 2015
Pros: $30/hour
Cons: No regular hours or fixed income, travel time isn't cover and no benefits as part time instructor
Teach a class then leave for the next, I have enjoyed teaching for the TDSB but I was sent to an 1.5 each way to the location. Haven't dealt with management. No co-workers.

Training and teaching more than 12 classes a week takes a toll on the body and participants expect the instructor to do all the work.

The love and respect from most participants
Excellent
Occasional Teacher (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 16, 2015
Pros: Strong emphasis on diversity, equity.
Cons: none
The TDSB is a very equitable, dynamic employer that makes the needs and safety of all students top priority. As an occasional teacher who regularly works at different schools, I teach in a variety of classrooms ranging from JK to grade 8. As such, I am always learning new and effective teaching strategies. Frequent interaction between myself, new students, staff and administrators greatly promotes my professional development. When I first started working as an occasional teacher five years ago, it was sometimes challenging to adjust to unfamiliar schools and classrooms. However, I am very good at adapting to new teaching situations, as I am very flexible, friendly and personable. As a TDSB occasional teacher, every day is an exciting and fulfilling new adventure. I always endeavour to create a safe and fair classroom environment for the students where learning is interesting and fun.
Great Job which I loved
Teacher (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONNovember 16, 2015
Pros: Working in trusting relationships with kids
Cons: My shortcomings in not reaching out to all fellow teachers.
The typical day started at about 8am with my arrival at school. I would open my day book and review the lesson I had planned at home or before leaving school the day before. I would go to the office and pick up my mail and attendance sheets. I would open the classroom 15 minutes before class started. I would teach nearly the whole 75 min period stopping only for group activities and guided practice. I would never mark in class since the kids usually needed guidance and help.

Teaching taught me to be a lifelong learner and I generally liked most of my bosses and co-workers. I now know that the hardest part of my job went neglected, namely co-worker relationships. By working too hard for the classroom (kids) I alienated some of my co-workers.
I now know that the trust I build with kids I should have built with all fellow teachers.

The most enjoyable part of my life in teaching is the ongoing knowledge recognition and remediation of my mistakes has made me a better person both at home and at work.
Employer
Intensive Support Program Autism Teacher (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 15, 2015
This is the largest school board in Canada and has approximately 460 schools within it. It has over 40 000 employees and is home to a very diverse and multicultural students population.
Excellent Experience
Assistant Area Supervisor (Current Employee), 2 Trethewey DriveOctober 26, 2015
Working for the TDSB showed me the differences between the corporate work culture and that of public institutions which I feel is quite important for a member of the job market to know.
Great place to work in. Diverse staff and students. Each school has a different personality.
Occasional Teacher (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONOctober 21, 2015
Pros: Great work atmosphere.
Cons: No job openings for a permanent contract position.
TDSB is a great place to work in with a diverse array of staff and students. Each school has a personality of its own, and the staff are very supportive and helpful. The hardest part of the job is getting to know different types of students with so many different needs and personal challenges. Overcoming this hurdle and gaining their confidence and trust is the most rewarding part of this job.
Satisfactory
International Languages Instructor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 20, 2015
Working as an International Languages Instructor for the Toronto District School Board (TDSB) was an interesting experience. I worked with children from kindergarten to grade 8 teaching basic Kiswahili and African culture and history. This included the history of Africans from the continent and of the Diaspora.

My classes were interactive, innovative and fun. My lessons included art, storytelling, songs, dance, drumming etc.,

When the hours of the program were drastically reduced (lack of funding) making it difficult to earn a decent wage I resigned.
Good Staff
Occasional Teacher (Current Employee), TorontoOctober 19, 2015
Staff are very helpful to new staff members. The day is well organized and every day is new and exciting.The best part of the job is seeing students learn something new and relate it to their lives.
Normal workplace with few people to talk to
Bus Monitor (Former Employee), Nelson Mandela Park Public SchoolSeptember 15, 2015
Pros: You get some free time to relax
Cons: Having to take care of so many children at once
You will learn to be more responsible with everything that you are in charge of. The management are very friendly people. The hardest part of the job is to carry all the bins of food up and down the stairs and hallways.
My time with TDSB was fullfilling with the students, however the administration politics were bad
Teacher, Subjects (Former Employee), Scarborough ONSeptember 14, 2015
I worked for TDSB for over twenty years. The Education system does not line up with what the students of industry need.
I retired from the system under duress and continue to try to change the system for the benefit of the country.
I continue to work at my professions and keep developing environmental products.
Awesome and stable company
Educational Assistant (Current Employee), Drewry Secondary SchoolSeptember 8, 2015
Amazing and stable company. They support their support staff in many positive ways. I work with special needs children that require transfers and physiotherapy.
Network, System Analyst
Network Analyst, System Analyst (Former Employee), TDSB, TorontoSeptember 5, 2015
Pros: variety of individual and group ptojects
Cons: none that I can think of
Worked on the project committee for developing the TDSB data center plans.

Within the data center, I provide technical analysis of networks and services.
Everyday is a different day
Office Administrator (Current Employee), TorontoSeptember 4, 2015
Pros: Variety
Cons: Pay scale is set in stone
Every day is started with a plan - then that plan is thrown out the window as soon as people start walking into the building. I love variety and spontaneity. So, it works for me. Trying to get things completed on deadline can be demanding with all the interruptions, but being able to be part of, and possibly make a difference in someone's life is immeasurable.
TDSB
Lunch Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 21, 2015
Pros: I got experience in the workplace
Cons: not enough hours
I enjoyed working in the school, because people were nice and polite.
I enjoyed the environment and the community in the business.
I learned a lot and how to work in the group with people.
Adapt to all the different personalities
Lunchroom Supervisor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 19, 2015
Pros: Short hours only one and half hours a day
Cons: Not able to move forward
A typical day would be supervising lunch for 20 minutes and then going outside for the other 35 minutes. Look at all areas all the time and let children discover what they can do and not do. Act as a mediator for disagreements between the children.
the good and the bad
SBSM (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 12, 2015
Pros: even and weekends of
Cons: no overtime
Days are amazing at the school I am with currently, however I have no job security or sick days and it is hard to move up in the company. Even though I am requested personally I am not able to stay at one school due to the time I have been employed by the board
First Nation Community Immersion
Lunchroom Supervisor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 27, 2015
Pros: The knowledge of First Nation practices that I acquired
I learned a great deal working at the First Nations Public School. A typical day required my presence initially in the lunching area which seated all of the student (Kindergarten to grade 8). In total, the school had about 90 students. This allowed for my to build personal relationships with many. I became familiar with community and traditional practiced of the First Nations community, as well as participated and attended many. The most enjoyable part of my job was creating and facilitating recess activities.
Fun and friendly camp counsellor
Camp counsellor (Former Employee), Bike repairMay 11, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, playing games
Cons: Responsible for 20 campers
My job as a camp counsellor consisted of being punctual, taking attendance of the campers and being responsible and organized.