Toronto Community Housing Employee Reviews

work
Youthworx Field Worker (Former Employee) –  North York, ON16 October 2017
This was a great place to work. got the chance to give back and help around in various communities, talked to many tenants that were very appreciative of the fact that we were helping out.
Nice work place. Lots of processes and policies which is typical of a public organization.
Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  North York, ON5 October 2017
Interesting and new experience for me, having spent all my work life in the private sector before I joined. Still learning the ropes though. Loving it!
Great place for work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2017
I worked there as a co op student. I find it a great place for me to work. I want to build up my career in this company. There is much more scope to go further in this company.
Pros
good time to start job
great Pay
Community Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West, \central and \east29 August 2017
Residents are pure gold.

Management is inconsistent.

Changes happen constantly due to constant removal of upper management.

Great staff/colleagues.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Not very much opportunity for growth - no transparrency
I Think I Lost my Soul
Housing Maintenance and Services Rep (Former Employee) –  931 Yonge Street Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4W 2H28 August 2017
Managerial staff is vindictive and employs nepotism in all of it's hiring decisions, especially where promotions or complaints are concerned. Do not expect to get far or even hired if you do not know, or are somehow related to someone in the company or the industry.

Departments are adversarial with each other based upon the way the company is administrated, and there are a great deal of underhanded behaviors and dealings with each particular department and their various sisters in Toronto.

This job probably would have cost me my soul if I had given it up, and perhaps I did, as I was a part of the managerial staff at one point, and I did not agree with anything we did.

Stay as far away from this organization as you can unless you feel that trading pay for conscious is a good way to make friends.
Pros
High Pay
Cons
Corporate Smoozing, Illegal Activities
productive and great learning environment
Relocation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 July 2017
its great working for TCHC. benefits are good and there are much learning opportunities within the company. great place to start a career and work your way up. you work no longer than 40 hrs a week and have much time to balance work/life.
fun work place
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 May 2017
I loved working here probably one of my favorite workplaces. Working with children is one of the funniest jobs to have especially if you love kids. Waking up everyday to see there faces made me so happy. Bringing them to baseball and taking thm swimming was the best part of working here.
summary
Building and Community Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2017
YouthWorx, was a pleasure. I was so happy to be promoted in the short period of time to the Building and Community Facilitator Administrator. I loved that I was able to be in the office as well as on the field with the youth.
Always on the move with the children
Camp helper/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 February 2017
We would do diffrent activities everyday, i learned how to take my time when working with younger people and how to enjoy life hard parts was when the children would have bad days, the best part was always seeing the children and being missed when i was sick.
Good work, bad organizing
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 January 2017
I worked at TCHC as a Carpenter a few years back. It's a fun work environment, and eye opening to see how some people live. Unfortunately, it's run by a bunch of hacks who ask the 3 levels of government for money to complete the billions of dollars worth of repairs some units need, only to give themselves a nice year end bonus for saving money. There's plenty of repair work that needs to get done, and TCHC has their own carpenters that can do it, instead they sub the work out to sub-par contractors who can't install a bank of kitchen drawers properly, while their guys sit in a damp basement on Shuter St. There's lots of work to be done, and we are eager to do it, but the higher ups won't release the funds to get it done, and then lay off half the crew to save money for their year end bonus. Job security for the most part sucks in the trade side of things.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Politics

Want to know more about Toronto Community Housing?

Ask a question
Productive, Fun and Learned Life Lessons
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
Working with Toronto Community Housing was my first job, during working with this company I met new people.
I also learned more skills on top of the skills I already knew such as teamwork, communication. I learned how to work with big cleaning machines. Throughout this I also learned how to save money which is very important.
Energetic and open work environment
Junior program leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2016
A regular day at summer camp was tiring, however at the end of each work day when giving our supervisors our feedback it would always be positive never negative. There wasn't any hard part about the job it just was very energy consuming watching kids for the whole day, but it was still fun. My co workers were always fun to work with, but the highlight of my day was always with the kids.
Pros
amazing supervisors
Cons
not allowed to go out for lunch
productive and fun people
Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2016
there is always some new to people. you can increase and expand your network and meet new people that can help you in the long run.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
bad neighborhoods
Productive and fun-filled
Rookie League Junior Champ (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2016
I really enjoyed working there, staff and co-workers were great. They were all very welcoming, they did the most to make every individual feel needed. I would totally work for them again, unfortunately it is only a summer job.
Welcoming environment
Junior Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 April 2016
Co-workers were very welcoming and I gained lots of team work skills. I am very proficient at communication and writing kills because of Toronto Community Housing
very fun job
Recreation Programmer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2016
there is always something to do and alots of fun in and off the site
the company is great and care about their front line workers nd would come out and check up on the staffs
productive and fun
supervisor (Former Employee) –  15 Waller Ave, Toronto, ON M6S 4Z916 January 2016
A typical day at work consist of supervising children ages 6-12 years.Coaching baseball. Plan and implement appropriate program plans and activities. Also plan and implement field trips.
While working I learned the fundamentals of baseball. What I enjoyed most was working with the children because as I was teaching them, it was also a great learning experience for me.
Pros
1 hr lunch and 7 hrs shifts
Cons
N/a
its a volunteer work
volunteer (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON2 November 2015
I'm volunteering my time to be the people voices for my building I go to meetings every months and I advocate for the building in what it needs or to improve on.
Best job thus far.
Youth Mentor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONTARIO14 October 2015
Front line staffers are very hard working and put a lot of time and effort into their jobs. The supervisors and managers are strong individuals working to please the TCH tenants.You can grow within the company. Hardest part of the job is dealing with unsatisfied tenants and breaking promises.
Pros
amazing experience
Cons
no steady hours
Busy,
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 October 2015
The Toronto Community Housing is a very fast and busy place. The work is constant and I worked with several systems. I worked on a new HRIS system called WTES and Ceridian. I also worked with Crystal Reports. I work with a great team, however, this job is a short contract.
Pros
Much work for United Way
Cons
Not much training