We are looking to have someone join our young company as part of software development and research team to develop a working prototype of our proprietary log analysis tool. The initial term for this position is for 6 months starting in April 2013. There is strong possibility for renewal as the project grows.
You will be part of a small team responsible for developing a prototype log analysis tool that will be used to carry out a series of commercial tests with a limited number of early stage commercial partners. The tool will carry out text mining and analytics that focuses on data generated by computers in their system logs. As a member of this team, you will apply your expertise in scalable software development to execute the vision of this project, which involves the creation and maintenance of a tool that has to organize and analyze large amounts of data. We're looking for a creative and flexible team-player with the energy and intelligence to make a real contribution to the process of implementing and validating our algorithms. During the course of your work, you will be involved with a variety of mainstream programming languages like Java, C, C++, scripting languages such as Perl, PHP and Python. An understanding database tools like MySql and MongoDB will also be required. The role offers flexibility in the choice of programming paradigms used.
- Work with our team members to thoroughly understand our propriety algorithms and the business use case for the prototype to be developed.
- Develop an execution plan for the development of the prototype. This plan will include the platforms to be used based on the business use case.
- Build and test viable solutions in a rapid and iterative development environment.
- Work with other team members to perform on-site commercial tests of the prototype.
- Fix and optimize any new/existing issues in the prototype using pragmatic approaches to building scalable and maintainable solutions
Nice to Have:
- Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field and a quantitative aptitude
- Experience building/optimizing SaaS applications, particularly data-driven/analytics applications or systems involving large data sets.
- Experience with the development of applications meant for the cloud.
- Familiarity with one or more scalable big data stores (MongoDB, Cassandra, Hadoop etc) and tools (MapReduce, Pig, Hive, Spark, Storm, Kafka etc) or willingness to research and learn
- Able to work in a small team environment, and collaborate with other team members.
- Previous work experience in the Sysadmin type role is desirable but not required.
- Exposure to machine learning algorithms, text mining and/or natural language processing will be a plus.
- Start-up experience with ability to multi-task, innovate on own initiative, and rapidly build prototypes will be a plus.
40,000 - 60,000 Annually, based on work experience and education.