Shader Writer collaborates with Art Director, Lighting TD’s, and pipeline TD’s to drive the look development and work flow procedures of CG assets and write/create shader based solutions for production needs. In current phase of production this is a more technical role where you will support current shader updates and problem solving 3delight and rib issues, and will require a deep understanding of 3d rendering pipeline and shader writing.
- Works with Lighting crew to support any issues they have with shaders or rendering.
- Ability to support and troubleshoot a rib based pipeline as well as modify and update our rib exporter.
- Works with Digital supervisors and R&D to ensure shaders are optimized, production ready and fit the studio standards and conventions.
- Helps establish studio shader writing conventions and texturing and shading workflow.
- Provides aesthetic and technical guidance for all areas of production pipeline.
- Contributes to cross department workflow for assets to keep their visual integrity and optimal rendering performance.
- High level mathematical skills are required with a bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience preferred.
- 3 years of experience as a shader writer with a portfolio that shows ability to create photoreal surfaces for feature film work.
- Strong aesthetic sense and ability to propose solutions without requiring lower level guidance.
- Ability to balance technical and aesthetic concerns in creating art directable, photoreal shaders.
- Strong working knowledge of a production-level pipeline a necessity, experience as a lighting technical director preferred
- Proven knowledge and experience with writing DSOs and programming shaders using RSL and/or C++ on Unix and Windows based operating systems.
- Experience in writing and modifying rib exporters.
- Proven knowledge of Maya and Houdini and Renderman compliant renders.
- Must work well in a team environment, have strong organizational and communication skills.
- Experience with hardware shading languages would also be an asset.