Tommy Bahama

Tommy Bahama Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
It's not as RELAXED as you think ..
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sunrise,FLJuly 10, 2014
Pros: customers first, sales, employees
Cons: management, hours, pay
This company is not a company that i would recommend any one to work for that wants to be treated with respect and fairly. Management is extremely poor all they do is stand around and gossip while the employees are busting their butt's for sales. You don't work off commission but you are required to make sales everyday with a high sales every month. – more... The hours are not good and never guaranteed because when the store does not have sales the season is slow because the clothing is ridiculously expensive.

However, the employees you work with are friendly and welcoming. It's an easy job if you mainly make assisting your customers and checking on them your task, which will help also increase your sales. Overall my favorite part of working is when our store use to have mini party's and bring bands to play Caribbean music outside the store and food for customers and employees.

Good luck with trying to find parking. – less
Excellent Work Environment
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee), Orlando, FLJuly 9, 2014
Really enjoy the culture of the company. Products are easy to sell because of their high quality.
Fun place to work!
Temp/Tier 1 Guest Services Representative (Former Employee), Federal Way, WAJuly 9, 2014
Pros: fun atmosphere, learning/kowledge classes, good skills.
Cons: management team, lacking in compassion & caring.
Lots of great training given to ensure that you are a great worker staying on task and evolving in the business. However, the management team is not much of a team, and they don't work well together, which puts the entire business at risk.
Stock Coordinator (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJune 29, 2014
Pros: great compensation
Cons: growth
Good monthly bonuses and incentive per month if goals are met. Decent volume and traffic sometimes.
Tommy Bahamas' Training and Development department.
Service Center Trainer (Former Employee), Federal Way WashingtonMay 23, 2014
Pros: hours, company outings, dynamic environment.
Cons: compensation, internal chaos
My employment with Tommy Bahama was ever changing and one day might consist of me delivering, designing or creating training material. I also designing and maintained an internal data base, which housed company policies and procedures. I enjoyed the work culture, however being that the department was in it's infant stages, we often faced an internal – more... struggle while determining the best corse of action.

I enjoyed providing my thoughts and feedback as we worked diligently to establish and maintain a dynamic work culture. – less
YIKES get me out of here
sales (Current Employee), floridaMay 14, 2014
Pros: easy dress code
Cons: everything else
What a special place this used to be to work and shop. With new guy from Abercrombie, it's like working for A&F. Surprised they don't ask for a photo when you apply for a job like they do at AF. You can be hired at AF with NO EXPERIENCE as a manager and getting promoted at TB is pretty much like that now. Due to the lack of leadership experience required – more... and apathy at store level, there are now lots of checklists to keep everyone on track. But if you just sign off, no one really cares if you did anything or not. The teams in field are all looking for new jobs. Shame on CEO for letting this guy run amok on the culture and tarnish TB history. What was his experience that led you to believe he was a valid replacement for our former president? You have exceptional taste and experience from a product standpoint, but good hiring decisions are just as critical and so far, YIKES! Hours are getting cut, not enough people to do all the work, guests are upset, more YIKES! The founders long sold out, but if they knew how company was being run, they would be heartbroken. Take a look at how many "likes" the reviews addressing the "elephant in the room" has vs all the other reviews in past 2 years. These represent agreement from team members who have to work within this fake AF-like environment every day. I heard the store managers were asked to submit positive reviews on Glassdoor in February and everyone did it because they feared IT would trace who did it and who didn't. Integrity? Authentic to our heritage? Maybe not so much. If you are young and photogenic you have a bright future with TB so go for it! You will probably be promoted to a position that never even got posted! – less
Good pay and good benefits
Sales Associate/Stock (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMay 8, 2014
Customers are a top priority and we try to accommodate every guest as much as possible. We have wonderful promotions and discounts daily. All of our guests love the company and the brand.
Good Quality Clothing
Sale Associate (Current Employee), City of Sunrise, FLApril 29, 2014
Pros: love meeting people
Cons: lack of hours
enjoyable part meeting new people

discount on clothing

coworkers are friendly

hardest part about work balancing fitting room with ringing up costumers
Cheap
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 2, 2014
Pros: advancement, free lunches
Cons: low pay
Working with cellpoint was good when it came to being flexible but compensation they were really cheap. They decided to let me run my own kiosk but hourly wage was a raise of .25, that is not manager type pay
Top-notch company packed with smart, creative people.
Art Department Manager, Graphic Designer (Former Employee), Seattle, WAMarch 27, 2014
Pros: a creative melting pot
Cons: fashion industry intensity not for the weak of heart
Tommy Bahama was a graphic designer's dream job. The variety of work was fantastic and stimulating, with so many opportunities to apply visual design skills and creative problem-solving to high-quality end-products. (Catalog layout one minute, label and back pocket designs for high-end fashion jeans the next...) Fast-paced and never dull!
Weird culture, management not qualified, VPs don't play nice with everyone
Associate (Current Employee), Seattle, WAMarch 12, 2014
Pros: decent pay, ok work-life balance
Cons: poor management, it dept behind the times, coffee is horrible, too much politics
There doesn't seem to be a unified "team" among the highest leadership. Lots of politics, sabotage, VP vents to his team about all his discontents vs working with other VPs to strategize solutions and get the job done and is absent traveling more than in the office. Lots of questioning of motives and internal battles that cause delays and stress for – more... everyone.

Attitude is "I'll do things my way on my timeline, doesn't matter what CEO wants," which in turn affects the entire company. Lots of posturing to stay in favor and people complain behind others backs and that is tolerated, thus it festers throughout the company. They seriously need to hire a high-level consultant to help straighten out the major mess of management/execs who are not efficient or effective at the level an exec should be.

The people are nice enough, but if you're new, nobody really welcomes you and there is no team building amongst departments, so even within a department, there is not a sense of passion and unified teamwork. No formal onboarding process and once you're here, you pretty much have to figure out who does what on your own.

Meetings get set up with no standard framework of agenda, follow-up, outcome, deliverables, action items. Process and procedures need work to standardize and get everyone on the same page for basic things like a company-wide powerpoint template or things you include when sending out a meeting invite.

Pay is within industry standards, benefits are decent. The IT department is severely lacking when it comes to keeping in front of things and having high-level tech talent. If a problem stumps someone, it may never get resolved, despite persistent requests...for my issue IT had to consult with offshore or offsite people to try to determine the problem...never did get resolved.

TB seems to keep management and directors that are below standard, less qualified and not good with managing people, thus I'm not optimistic unless they were to do some serious house cleaning and org restructuring. HR is cold and unapproachable.

People still punch a time clock here if they're hourly. – less
Fun, easy going, energetic work place.
Sales associate/stock coordinator assistant (Current Employee), Camarillo, CAJanuary 29, 2014
I enjoy working here, it is a very fun and energetic work place. The management team is very friendly and easy to talk to. Excellent guest service is key and is what a typical day at work consists of. Although there is troublesome guest, everyone always has a positive outlook and is very upbeat.
A fun and relaxed work environment
Guest Services Rep/International Specialist (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: several employee appreciation days, clothing allowances, nice bonus ( overall good compensation package)
- "Life is one long weekend" at Tommy Bahama. A typical fast-pace work setting, but still very relaxed. Spent time resolving customer disputes via phone and email, researching and reporting on ways to improve our service levels and grow the online business. I was the pioneer representative for the e-commerce business, who trained and coached incoming – more... hires and other employees on and ongoing basis.
- I learned how to tackle and provide solutions for complex issues and overall was part of the company's growth from infancy to becoming a 500 million + business – less
Fun and productive workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Hilton Head Island, SCJanuary 13, 2014
Tommy Bahama is an excellent company to work for. A typical work day would include greeting the guests as they arrive at the resort, offer valet and luggage services. Management truly cares for the employees, overall a great company to work for.
management sucked !!!!
Assistant manager (Former Employee), LE ENCANTADAJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: benefits and co workers were fine
Cons: again dont work for them ! biggest mistake of my life
management sucked mean , played games.
co workers were nice , customers were great
they spend a lot of money on cheap made clothes .... DO NOT WORK THERE !!!!
Nice job but management sucked
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Primm, NVDecember 15, 2013
Pros: got to work with people, paid for gas.
Cons: management was mean
A typical day at work was nice. I mainly greeted and talked to the custormers about the sales. I also counted money when necessary. Had to meet daily goals. Learned how to keep clean environment while working, Management was mean. If they didn't like you they would fire you. Co works were amazing had so much fun with them. Hardest part of the job was – more... the slow times. Most enjoyable part was getting to make friends and money. – less
Customer Service Focused
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Manhattan Beach, CADecember 12, 2013
Pros: the associates
Cons: the general manager
A typical day will start with opening the store, writing a summary about business to share with team and doing a to do list of plans and actions that need to take place during my shift.
The Management team work together to be as productive as possible to ensure all Customers are being well taken care of.
The hardest part of my job is, being there for – more... 7 months and the lack of training is unbearable. The company has not payroll for training so it is a learn as you go process.
The most enjoyable part is working with a knowledgeable team and people who genuinely want to help Customers. – less
AWECOME CULTURE!!
Loss Prevention Investigator/Supervisor (Current Employee), Seattle, WADecember 11, 2013
Love TB - great people, great culture, great experience! They care about their associates and embody the "life is one long weekend" experience.
Skill Sharpening Opportunity
Shipping Manager (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLDecember 6, 2013
As Shipping Manager for this organization, Relaxed Business culture was key.
Can be fun.....
Sales (Former Employee), New YorkNovember 26, 2013
Pros: free clothes
Cons: short breaks, expensive benefits, no paid holidays, no time and a half.
It can be a great company and the guests have been the best I ever worked with in retail. Management could use some help. Co-workers were awesome. Benefits stink compared to other companies. The no paid holidays is such a cheep thing to do.

1 2 3

About Tommy Bahama

About Tommy Bahama Tommy Bahama is part of Tommy Bahama Group, Inc, a wholly owned subsidiary of Oxford Industries, Inc. (NYSE:OXM). – Read more