Tolko Industries Employee Reviews

Nepotism and favoritism at its finest
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCSeptember 19, 2016
Company is a joke. No advancement what so ever unless you reallly suck up, are a relative, or into sports.
Extremely unsafe. Unsafe conditions only ever get resolved once WorkSafe BC gives a heads up about a tour then all of the sudden they scramble around and all unsafe areas are magically clean for a day or so then right after the tour they are back to being a complete unsafe mess. If they actually did a surprise tour no question about it, it would be shut down. Production over safety. Apparently all of the latest fatality's don't phase them.
Apparently we are just "A bunch of expendable monkeys" to management. They are completely incompetent. if this company wants to survive the foreseeable next few years it might have left they better start thinking about restructuring management based on experience and performance not handing it out like f'ing candy to privileged family members or friends. AVOID at all costs if you aspire to move up in a company with dedication and hard work, you'll just get sht on. This company is good if you want to be lazy drunk and high in a unionized environment with little to no chance of dismissal.
Pros
Co-Workers stuck in the same mess are great people
Cons
The whole written review says enough
Was a decent place to work at but Tolko is shutting down in December
Power Engineer (Current Employee) –  The Pas, MBAugust 22, 2016
Was a good place to work, helped me get my 4th class ticket and I am now working on my 3rd class Power Engineering but the mill is suppose to shut down in December unless somebody else buys it in the upcoming 3 months.
Pros
Helped me get my ticket.
Cons
good core values hindered by poor upper management
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Lavington, BCAugust 11, 2016
The company has great values and should be a great place to work. The lower level management is great but are constantly being pushed to doing things that make no sense from upper management. Decisions are made without proper thought or consultation causing additional work and expense that is unneeded. People are being put into positions that they should not be which pushes workload to others to compensate.
Pros
wage, benefits
Cons
poor upper management
Wood mill work, lots of maintenance
Electrician (Current Employee) –  High Level, ABJune 30, 2016
It's a large mill with 3 lines operating. Lots to do on weekends when the mill is closed. Co-workers are the best you could ask for. Management is management,
Review Summary
Purchasing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Quesnel, BCMarch 28, 2016
A work day was fast paced, prioritizing tasks effectively was required.
The environment was always focused on safety first, I was constantly learning and upgrading my management skills.
I enjoyed my co workers.
The hardest part of the job was sometimes extra long days.
The most enjoyable part of the job was achieving success with my co-workers.
Imployment
Supervisor / Lead hand (Former Employee) –  Lavington, BCMarch 22, 2016
The company will get the best results out of a person it can. You are paid very well but do sacrifice a lot. Its a great place for people that dont have any other things going on in life. Things have really changed in the last 5 years or so. Direction from top leadership seems to be lacking.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long Hrs, Family Sacrifice, treated like a robot from time to time
good pay horrible place to work
power engineer (Former Employee) –  The Pas MBFebruary 9, 2016
Good pay and learned a lot while working there, but management is horrible, the work is great but like I said management is horrible,
Process and quality control technician for Blender optimization
Process and quality control Technician (Former Employee) –  Meadow Lake, SKDecember 13, 2015
I worked one Coop 4 Month term with TOLKO industries in Meadow lake Saskatchewan. As a coop student I was working on a project of blender optimization for the improved resin distribution. I worked with my technical coordinator to change the process control variables such as Blender speed, angle of Blender to study the effect on Resin distribution on strands. I gave the suggestion for flight Enhancers inside Blender to increase the residence time. This had a great effect on Blender efficiency.

One of my duties was there to get the data and statistically analyze the data on Infinityqs software which is quality control software for statistical process control for the study of resin distribution on strands and to check the strand size grading. I maintained healthy relations with technical manager and gave idea about heat integration to save energy in OSB mill which was highly appreciated by managerial staff. They started to work on it for heat integration within plant as before they were throwing flue gases in atmosphere at the temperature of 135 degree Celsius
Avoid tolko, the culture is toxic
maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  Lumby, BCNovember 14, 2015
The pay is great, the guys are great, but the management fumbles around and constantly sets the maintenance staff up for failure. The management treats people like they don't matter and has no idea what the word organized means. If you have options elsewhere take them.
Pros
wage
Cons
management
Great employer
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  High Level, ABNovember 4, 2015
Fair. And moving in the right direction!
Off on weekends and new challenges daily. Company is investing in the future: production and safety.
Pros
Solid management, hard working employees
Cons
High Level
Great work, lots to learn, great people
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  High Level, ABJuly 10, 2015
I learned a lot working at Tolko, running big machines like the Trimmer, Stacker, and a few other things like the Strip piler, paper wrap, sorter, etc. I really enjoyed working there it was just very far away from home
Could be worse
Forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BCApril 27, 2015
Forklift operator. training regiment could be improved and the way the old timers talk to the new guys could definetly be better, expecting you to keep up with them when you've been on the job 7 days compared to their 30 years. besides that job is good and rewarding
Pros
close to home, pay is decent
Cons
not enough ot and old timers can be rude
Secure employment and good benefits and good people.
Maintenance and Production Laborer (Former Employee) –  Louis Creek, BCApril 10, 2015
Although there was not much opportunity for advancement, the overall condition of the plant and the latest technology of the equipment made this job "quite enjoyable " and easy to manage day to day functions
Pros
Very good work environment
Cons
A lot of saw dust and solvents etc., on site. ( pollutants )
loved the job. would take it back in a heart beat
Clean Up Crew, General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BCFebruary 10, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of general clean up with great co-workers. There I learned how to lock out machinery properly and manage my time efficiently. I also had extensive safety training.

I found everything easy and enjoyable. The only thing hard sometimes was when I did graveyard shifts.
Pros
union, loved it
Cons
location(home town)
Good people to work with.
Production Foreman (Current Employee) –  William LakeJanuary 23, 2015
Typical day here is coming in early and getting things fired up and running. Makeing sure everyone is doing their job safely and productivley. I have learned with a good core a group can work well together. You get the odd misfit but getting that person on side and keeping them in the loop and proper feed back goes a long way. Co-workers are good, we are all competetive but have a good sense of humour to go along with it. The hardest part of the job is when you get into a breakdown rutt. Most enjoyable part of the job is achieving production goals safely, and spending time with the crew.
stupid is as stupid does
labour (Former Employee) –  slave lakeJanuary 4, 2015
When you have such a large population of stupid people how you know who is stupid.
Pros
handjobs
Cons
crazy fires
Productive and fun work place
Control Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, ABDecember 24, 2014
Excellent environment to work.Large motors and unending conveyor systems depending on the mill. Excellent automation and process controls
not a good place to work
stacker (Former Employee) –  millDecember 20, 2014
from the first day i started to my last day all i herd was complaints and complaining about manag,for the most part the people are good people,with that being said it only takes a few to make a job unpleasent,i now understand what the others are talking about.in my first 2 weeks i was brought to office and had my job threatened for some thing i did not do,And when i quit not one call from HR to ask why.i was told they have gone through a large number of employees and i now understand why,tolko may be desperate for employees but should take a good look as to who and what position they advance some people into.and as far as training and safty.i was told and i quote....look around when you do this if no one around no need to lock out.3 people trained me in first 2 weeks 2 were great one was the worst trainer i have ever had(.should not be allowed to train.) will never work for tolko high level again unsafe to much soap opera for this guy.oh ya hrly rate i was told not the same as received .
Pros
close to home
Cons
read the abouve
Productive work place with good people to work with.
❸ Machine operator (Former Employee) –  High Level, ABOctober 28, 2014
Running wood, watching cameras , reman transfers, etc etc. Management was awesome for the most part. People i worked with were great. If the location was in a better place rather than High Level, It would have made it easier to live.
Pros
lots of ot.
Cons
not many.
skilled work
Plant Protection Technician (Former Employee) –  High levelOctober 26, 2014
pipefitting handyman repairs construction fire systems plumbing heating

2.9