Tolko Industries

Tolko Industries Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good people to work with.
Production Foreman (Current Employee), William LakeJanuary 23, 2015
Typical day here is coming in early and getting things fired up and running. Makeing sure everyone is doing their job safely and productivley. I have learned with a good core a group can work well together. You get the odd misfit but getting that person on side and keeping them in the loop and proper feed back goes a long way. Co-workers are good, we are all competetive but have a good sense of humour to go along with it. The hardest part of the job is when you get into a breakdown rutt. Most enjoyable part of the job is achieving production goals safely, and spending time with the crew.
stupid is as stupid does
labour (Former Employee), slave lakeJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: handjobs
Cons: crazy fires
When you have such a large population of stupid people how you know who is stupid.
Productive and fun work place
Control Systems Specialist (Former Employee), Slave Lake, ABDecember 24, 2014
Excellent environment to work.Large motors and unending conveyor systems depending on the mill. Excellent automation and process controls
not a good place to work
stacker (Former Employee), millDecember 20, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: read the abouve
from the first day i started to my last day all i herd was complaints and complaining about manag,for the most part the people are good people,with that being said it only takes a few to make a job unpleasent,i now understand what the others are talking about.in my first 2 weeks i was brought to office and had my job threatened for some thing i did not do,And when i quit not one call from HR to ask why.i was told they have gone through a large number of employees and i now understand why,tolko may be desperate for employees but should take a good look as to who and what position they advance some people into.and as far as training and safty.i was told and i quote....look around when you do this if no one around no need to lock out.3 people trained me in first 2 weeks 2 were great one was the worst trainer i have ever had(.should not be allowed to train.) will never work for tolko high level again unsafe to much soap opera for this guy.oh ya hrly rate i was told not the same as received .
Productive work place with good people to work with.
❸ Machine operator (Former Employee), High Level, ABOctober 28, 2014
Pros: lots of ot.
Cons: not many.
Running wood, watching cameras , reman transfers, etc etc. Management was awesome for the most part. People i worked with were great. If the location was in a better place rather than High Level, It would have made it easier to live.
skilled work
Plant Protection Technician (Former Employee), High levelOctober 26, 2014
pipefitting handyman repairs construction fire systems plumbing heating
company good to work for and had incentive bonuses
Mill worker (Former Employee), Heffley Creek, BCDecember 10, 2013
Pros: rewards for goals acheived and free dinners brought in
Cons: layoffs or injuries
A typical day was to come in and go to the working station you are assigned to and work to the best of your ability. I learned to perform a variety of different jobs while I was employed there. Management was very good except if there were any injuries that happened and then they expected you to work threw them. It was a great place to work with your coworkers because we learned to work as a team and help each other out. The hardest part of the job was unplugging plug ups. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting rewards for our shift when goals were achieved.
Fast paced
Labourer (Former Employee), Merritt, BCDecember 4, 2013
Learned a lot of basic work place skills at a young age.
Emphasized how important safety in the work place really is
humerious employers and co-workers
Weekend crew clean-up, Labour worker (Former Employee), High level, ABSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: awesome pay, humerous emploers and co-workers.
Cons: working weekends only
-Show up 7 am, have safety meeting and started working.
-I learned alot of safety and how to be independant on making the right safety choices.
-Management was great and co-workers were also great to work with, very humerious.
-Going into very small crawl spaces in big machines to clean out was the hardest part of the job.
-Joking around and talking with co-workers during lunch time was the most enjoyable part of the job.
It was a good/hard place to work.
Press operator (Former Employee), Williams Lake, BCJune 18, 2013
I worked graveyard shift. learned about the manufacture of lumber.
It was fun learning all the aspecs of the mill.
Forklift operator (Former Employee), High Level, ABMarch 18, 2013
Pros: overtime
Cons: alcholol and drug abuse
I went from a labourer using a shovel, to running a 300,000 dollar forkilift. We would lift the bundles of wood at a time, around the hieght of a house. Tolko taught me a lot of things, from hard work ethic, to loyalty. I just really wish they were safer, there was a lot of alcohol and drug abuse in the yard amungst the operators. I felt it would be safer for me to thank you for the employment, but i have to leave.
Saw mill are on there way out
Chip loader for 10 years (Current Employee), williams lakeAugust 27, 2012
Pros: it a job
Cons: will not last untell i retirer
Co-worker are great
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting ever thing done and my truckers went away happy